• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

The Cowboy

Any complications from using those modified drivers? I trust Guru3D obviously, but do you have to wait longer than usual for the 280x modded drivers to come out? :)

Thanks for the link though.
As you can see in the thread, there can be some issues and its best to use the normal ones if your not sure of fixing issues - for me though it went smoothly. I didn't even bother with the DDU, i just uninstalled my normal drivers, ran the "bcdedit /set onetimeadvancedoptions on" option so i could disable the driver signature enforcement on the next restart and then went into device manager and installed the drivers as per how it states to.

Soon as i restarted after installing the drivers i opened the CCC and i got the VSR popup to enable it and that was it, all worked with no issues and all of my games are working just fine. For the timeframe of the modified drivers, VBS (the person who did that) had the new one modified for Windows 7/8.1 on the day it was released for Windows 10 - but i wouldn't take this as a general timeframe.

As with anything modified its a risk, but feel free to sign up on guru and ask for help if you need any, we are generally pretty nice :D.

After looking at more and more benchmarks i think i will get the PS4 version.
My 780 cant handle it very well obviously. :( But i will try it tonight and decide tomorrow. Sadly i already pre-ordered this on steam.
Keep your Steam preorder and tweak your configuration a bit. Considering a 780Ti is consistently >30 fps with max details, I don't even understand how you can consider PS4 a better technical solution.

Guys, you're all being dramatic based on two sets of benchmarks:
- ones with a large number of card but a very small array of actual game settings, so we don't know exactly how different cards will behave at different settings.
- ones on a pretty much super maxed configuration with an uber GPU, which varies settings nicely to explain how everything else being equal, tweaking one given setting will look/impact performance on that particular configuration.

AFAIK, we don't have any in depth cross between these two so I'd reserve any judgment before either testing it myself or seeing a much broader and deeper benchmark.

Beyond that, I understand everyone wants as much bang for their buck but it's a bit weird to see everyone expecting this fabled "max details / 60 fps" result when the reality is that the last time a Witcher game launched, using all of its settings fucked our cards very hard. And that's the name of the game when it comes to this particular bit of our enthusiast hobby: you want games to push this hardware as much as possible.

I agree on the Kepler series looking off in that particular benchmark though.

Wow, that's a LOT more clear. Original comparison was pretty much identical.

Interesting that it blurs stuff even a few metres in front of Geralt when he's on Roach. Was expecting it to be a long-distance effect only for some reason.

Think this is going to be my first time using DSR (970), hope it isn't too performance intensive

Levyne

Banned
So 780 isn't keeping up with the 970? Well, hopefully I can turn down some of the more costly bells and whistles to keep 60fps and still look pretty nice.

Bruno

I will be pretty pissed if my 780 6GB SC ACX doesn't perform with this game - we'll see in a few hours.

Anyone have a link to a topic or post on how to get a 30 Fps cap without judder? I seem to recall that you needed to use Afterburner for some part of it.

syko de4d

with my i2400 and 560ti would it be worth it to buy a 960 with free witcher3? 30fps would be fine for witcher.
Next year a real new PC with Pascal etc.

Kezen

Banned
Has this happened before with nVidia cards? Can't remember if it has, but I really don't remember a previous architecture being as disregarded as Kepler has been.
I don't remember but this time it's striking, Kepler is abandoned while the 290/290X hold out remarquably well. Again, what a message that sends to GPU customers.

Someone told me that Maxwell is more efficient at compute shaders, so that when a game uses a lot of them, the performance difference between Maxwell and Keppler widens. Same thing happens to Star Citizen as well. Not sure how accurate this is though, I'm not a real expert on GPU architecture.

Kepler was always deficient at compute vs Maxwell (as well as vs R9 290s). Not surprised its starting to show in games.

I know Maxwell is supposedly better at compute and it shows in games like Ryse for instance but at the same time the 960 and 780 are way too close in games like The Witcher 3 and GTA V.

LMAO @ people a couple months ago saying that a Titan X, or even a 980 was complete overkill for 1080P and that you're wasting your money if you are buying them for 1080P gaming. Yet here I am with my 980, wishing that the 980Ti was out already so I can play The Witcher 3 @1080P/60FPS locked w/ maxed settings. People are so short sited.

I think its just this game to be honest. A 980 can maintain 60fps at 1080p in both GTAV and Dragon Age Inquisition no problem. Hell, even a 970 can do that with both games. Obviously all games are different, but both GTAV and Dragon Age Inquisition are about as good looking as the Witcher and seemingly run better.

So I over clocked my 970 to 1528 GPU clock and 3903 men clock. Is this anywhere close to a stock 980? Want to know what performance range I'd be in for this game.

UnrealEck

So I over clocked my 970 to 1528 GPU clock and 3903 men clock. Is this anywhere close to a stock 980? Want to know what performance range I'd be in for this game.

Clock speeds aren't the be-all-end-all. I think the 980 even has lower clocks than the 970. (edit - no, 980 is higher)

Still new to all this, sorry.

You will get better performance from overclocking though. But it won't necessarily make your 970 a 980.

MedIC86

I have a 770 and i play on 1440p, so for me its best to get it on the PS4 right? according to the benchmarks that are out now.

UnrealEck

I have a 770 and i play on 1440p, so for me its best to get it on the PS4 right? according to the benchmarks that are out now.

PS4 can't play it on 1440p. Guess that narrows it down.

The answer is 'we don't know'
We don't know how it runs at 1440p on a GTX 770 at PS4 settings.

Branson

I like how they use super computers for the Nvidia Guide. It's nice and well written. But a more realistic setup would be nice.

The GeForce.com Graphics, Performance & Tweaking Guide is live!

I've got about a month to recover until Batman, right?
Excellent write up, really appreciate it!

I wonder, is there a way to tweak the Hairworks stuff beyond the 3 standard options? I noticed that there are settings for Geralt only, is there a way to do NO GERALT (or basically everything other than human hair)? I'm not really a fan of how the human hair looks but love the way it looks on everything else, and I would imagine it would be a nice performance increase.

edit: if its not possible to tweak ourselves, is it possible it could become a choice in the option menu sometime in the future?

Exile20

I like how they use super computers for the Nvidia Guide. It's nice and well written. But a more realistic setup would be nice.

It is more for testing the setting than testing videocards.

eg.

Hairworks on = Baseline test
Hairworks off = 10 fps lower

Performance wise you are fairly close to a 980 if you are stable at that clock.

Thanks man. I've only run the Heaven benchmark for about 30 minutes, so no real world testing. I'll see how it runs in Witcher 3.

Oddly enough after the new driver I ran MSI afterburner again with my presaved profile and it kept putting my GPU clock and men clock to its absolute maximum. Instantly killed my desktop and had to rush to reboot the PC. Hope it didn't cause damage.

Soi-Fong

Goddamn.. That was fast.. I'll reserve judgment, but a 780 Ti being handily beaten by the 970 without hairworks on. I mean.. Cmon... There has to be some bullshit Nvidia is pulling here. The 970 on average is pushing out on average 10 more frames than the 780 Ti.

Kepler performance has massively decreased after Maxwell came out. Jesus...

the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-foliagedistancescale-config-file-tweak-001-6.png

WOW

like wow.

PC master race bruhs.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone order off of Amazon UK? Were you sent a GoG or Steam key?

Powerline Adaptor better come in soon [and work] so I can start downloading. Should be good to go performance-wise in any case.

Hey, those benchmark figures use my 980 Strix! Not the greatest FPS dip especially with not all the bells and whistles turned on, but I'm optimistic.

Soi-Fong

Fuccck.

And that's with no hairworks and SSAO. I'm at work and haven't had time to read Andy's guide yet, what are the big fps killers in the settings?

Shadows and foliage distance quality seems to be the most demanding. Along with grass quality.

Top Bottom