• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Serandur

I think I can accept 30-40 at 1440 with everything maxed. What cpu do you use? I have a 2600k at 4.5ghz and 980, don't know if I should buy it now or wait for future updates.
I'd recommend just turning those few settings down. They barely do anything and 60 FPS is more worth it. Even hairworks is barely noticeable on Geralt and I meant the leaves look bad regardless of settings.

My CPU's a 3770K (currently at stock), your 2600K will be fine.

Piggus

i7 5820k @ 4.4 ghz
SLI 970s (stock)

Getting between 80 and 100 fps at 1080p with hairworks on and everything maxed except foliage distance (high). Foliage distance at Ultra = still over 60 most of the time but some drops when a lot of hairy animals are around. Might be able to OC the video cards a bit and avoid the drops.

Fantastic SLI scaling. Very impressed.

matmanx1

Not sure, I usually use FRAPS... thanks though.

No problem and sorry about that. I have vsync locked at 30fps and everything seems really smooth so I think I am maintaining it pretty easily so far although I have only done the tutorial and a little bit of the first part in the woods.

Sanctuary

I feel like an asshole for not pre-installing the game the moment I could. Now I'm just sitting here waiting while everyone else is already playing the game.

On a side note, what kind of speeds are you guys getting with GOG Galaxy? I normally get ~30mb/s with Steam/Origin but GOG is topping out at 15-20.

Be thankful you can even download it. Many people are still waiting on GMG keys (they really screwed up).

BraXzy

How do I use my DS4 on PC with this game? I saw that it is apparently natively supported in the game? But I plugged it in via USB and while it has lit up, it isn't reading any input on it.

Do I need to download a third party software to emulate the X360 controller? :/

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I gave up trying to tweak it for 60fps on my 680 so i just turned off hair works and set everything to ultra for 1080/30.

Ill do a 1080/60 with hair works when the 1080GTX or what ever comes out.

30fps is surprisingly smooth in this game.

Cronee

AMD FX 8350 OC'do at 4.2Ghz
Stock GTX 760 2GB
16 GB 1600 ram

Running at 1080 with medium presets, both post processing and graphics, and getting 40-45 fps with drops into the low 30s when there's a lot of vegetation. Could possibly get a smoother fps with some settings tweaks or an OC to the 760 but it runs well enough for now.

Dinosur

I know I'm a dirty heathen, but I'm not a "60fps or die" kind of guy.

i7 4790
16gb ram

It's running great at everything ultra+all hairworks with just foliage distance at high (chromatic abortion and sharpening turned off). The cutscene framerate is really really crappy for some reason though, don't understand that. Is it hiding loading or is there some graphics setting that's killing them?

SliChillax

I'd recommend just turning those few settings down. They barely do anything and 60 FPS is more worth it. Even hairworks is barely noticeable on Geralt and I meant the leaves look bad regardless of settings.

My CPU's a 3770K (currently at stock), your 2600K will be fine.

The animals look completely different with hairworks, I'm afraid I'll be happy with 30-40 plus with a Gsync monitor is not a big deal. 30-40 with motion blur to me is perfectly acceptable.

Edit: Maybe turning shadows down to high doesn't make a huge visual difference and no hairworks MSAA.

Xyber

Played for an hour, no crashes so far.

Everything on ultra apart from foliage distance, have that on high, and hairworks is disabled. Locked it at 60 (got 120Hz) and so far I haven't seen it dip below 60. I have only gotten to the tavern after you ride for a bit though.

i7 4770K@4.3GHz
970@1455MHz
8GB RAM
Win 8.1

I have tweaked the settings file a bit, hope I can still maintain 60 with these small changes I did.

To quote my old post, here's a benchmark where I punched some drunk dudes and rode around on the horse for a while. This is with some small config tweaks as well.
Screens with settings http://imgur.com/a/Cnj5m

8klvhK8.png

Innolis

I7 5920K
16GB DDR4
STRIX 980
Kingston SSD

All settings maxed, Chromatic Aberration Off, hairworks on, HBAO+, 1080p.

Mostly 50-60 ingame, cutscenes mostly 50 with a bit of stuttering (might be the DoF doing this).

I'm reading the geforce tweaking guide, I'd like to trim the fat out and get a steady 60 all the time.

RedSwirl

AMD FX 8350 OC'do at 4.2Ghz
Stock GTX 760 2GB
16 GB 1600 ram

Running at 1080 with medium presets, both post processing and graphics, and getting 40-45 fps with drops into the low 30s when there's a lot of vegetation. Could possibly get a smoother fps with some settings tweaks or an OC to the 760 but it runs well enough for now.

Yeah, guess I'm locking that shit down.

Squishy3

I know it probably isn't the right place to ask, but probably more likely to get an answer here. I can't take a screenshot in this game in a way that's not a hassle at all.

ShareX, puush, etc, hell, even the normal fallback method print screen paste into paint won't fucking work, and it's driving me insane. Have the GOG version and Steam overlay isn't working for some reason either so that's not an option. This is driving me insane.

Not sure if relevant but my game was crashing due to overclocking. My overclocking preset worked fine on other games but flat out crashed witcher 3 within minutes. Putting it to stock sorted it out and ended up playing without a single crash.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Not sure if relevant but my game was crashing due to overclocking. My overclocking preset worked fine on other games but flat out crashed witcher 3 within minutes. Putting it to stock sorted it out and ended up playing without a single crash.

Seems to be a fix for many at this point.

I have my 970 over clocked fairly high and not a single crash in over 2 hours.

Dez_

I'm really close to picking up a 970 for the Witcher / Batman promotion, but I just realized my cpu doesn't meet the minimum requirements. I have an i7 960 @ 3.2 GHz. Is this going to be a significant bottleneck for me if I play this game on PC with the 970?

Currently have:

i7 960 @3.2 GHz
560 Ti
12 GB ram

Appreciate the help.

RaidenXZ

Just waiting on my game to download now from GOG Galaxy.

So what are looking like the best FPS killers in terms of graphic options?

I have an FX-8320, AMD HD7950, and 8GB DDR3 RAM

Anyone think it will be possible to get some ultra graphical settings going? (don't mind running at 30 FPS locked)

x3sphere

I'm really close to picking up a 970 for the Witcher / Batman promotion, but I just realized my cpu doesn't meet the minimum requirements. I have an i7 960 @ 3.2 GHz. Is this going to be a significant bottleneck for me if I play this game on PC with the 970?

Currently have:

i7 960 @3.2 GHz
560 Ti
12 GB ram

Appreciate the help.

It shouldn't be, no. X58 i7s are still very capable unless you're trying to hit 120Hz+

Thabian

I'm getting mostly 60 fps on ultra + hairworks + HBAO+ on my 970 at 1080p. It'll sometimes drop down to 35-45 for some scenes, mostly cut scenes.

I have foilage distance and shadows down 1 notch.

Vignette, dof, ca, motion blur, and bloom off.

I've only made it to the inn so far but I'm very pleased with the performance so far.

kinggroin

Banned

Currently have:

i7 960 @3.2 GHz
560 Ti
12 GB ram

Appreciate the help.

You have an i7. There are people with Phenom quad cores playing at a solid 30 with nice settings enabled.

You are fine.

MaddenNFL64

So, my specs: FX6300, R9 290 4g vram, 24 gigs ddr3 1600.

I turned off nvidias hair to off, and foliage to high, everything else on ultra with HBAO+. 60 fps 1080p baby.

So ya anyone with AMD cards just get rid of nvidias hair for now.

I'm on a non-OC'd i7-4770k and a non-OC'd GTX 980 running on a 1440p monitor with everything on ultra, including Gameworks. I haven't gone too far into it, but it imediately appears to be completely playable with these specs. I suspect it's closer to 30 fps than 60 fps, but I haven't checked and it isn't bothering me. I'll try some other settings to try to get it a bit smoother, but I'm not too worried about it.

The-Bean

R9 280X 3GB
i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz
8GB 1600MHz RAM
Ultra settings, 1680x1050 @ 30 FPS locked.

Can lower settings and get close to 60 FPS, but looks great on ultra so I'll stick with 30 FPS. Particularly impressive during windy weather, the sound effects and tree swaying is very atmospheric.

I'm surprised at how little VRAM usage is considering how much other recent games use.

UnrealEck

Fuck it. This is going to have to be the first PC game in god knows how long I'm going to play at 30 FPS. Can't believe I'm having to do that but it's that or reduce the graphics to medium/high.
Game seems really responsive using vsync with 30 FPS cap in the game's options. Still would have loved 50-60 FPS though.
I'm a bit dissapointed to be honest with the performance.

Has anyone else been getting the freezing issue? The game just suddenly freezes up but there is background audio still playing. There seems to be little consistency in when and where it happens, so I can't easily pinpoint a particular location/effect to be the cause.

Rezbit

Crappy old PC report:

2.4 ghz q6600
560ti
4gb ram

on 1920x1200, settings are medium-high and it runs pretty nicely at 30ish fps. Load times are suprisingly quick. Might mess with some settings to get it higher but better than I expected

Good to know mate. I've got a 2500k, 8gb ram with the 560 ti. Do you find it a pretty steady 30fps? As long as it doesn't dip below that'll do me.

The Cowboy

I have to say, this game at 30fps really reminds me of Uncharted 2 on PS3, it feels really dam smooth despite running at 30fps - a lot smoother than most games at this framerate.

Bl@de

It's 4am in Germany. This game. 60fps. High settings. A dream come true. I loved everything so far (hard difficulty, up to nilgaardian camp, witcher 2 save imported without problems). But now I need at least a couple of hours sleep^^ Tomorrow I have a free day. 3 years of waiting come to an end.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting 60fps with Ultra and the game is very nice looking.

i7 920
GTX 980
9GB DDR3

It just crashed again though, argh.

Going to try again without hairworks ... See what happens...I'm giving up for the night after this..
What's your CPU clocked at if you don't mind me asking? Also your resolution? Similar system here (920, R9 290, 12GB) but can't get the game yet due to data caps, would like to have an idea of what to expect.

Exentryk

I7 5920K
16GB DDR4
STRIX 980
Kingston SSD

All settings maxed, Chromatic Aberration Off, hairworks on, HBAO+, 1080p.

Mostly 50-60 ingame, cutscenes mostly 50 with a bit of stuttering (might be the DoF doing this).

I'm reading the geforce tweaking guide, I'd like to trim the fat out and get a steady 60 all the time.

I have a similar set up, so it's good to read this. Please post if you make any changes, and how it affects performance.

I know it probably isn't the right place to ask, but probably more likely to get an answer here. I can't take a screenshot in this game in a way that's not a hassle at all.

ShareX, puush, etc, hell, even the normal fallback method print screen paste into paint won't fucking work, and it's driving me insane. Have the GOG version and Steam overlay isn't working for some reason either so that's not an option. This is driving me insane.

Try using MSI Afterburner

Currently have:

i7 960 @3.2 GHz
560 Ti
12 GB ram

Appreciate the help.

I'm playing with an i7 930 and I'm not having a problem.

joesmokey

Performance in this game hurts at 2560x1440 :(.

2600K OC'd
GTX Titan (OG)

Edit: Get about 30-45fps in starting area with things at High.

Need that 980 ti...

So, my specs: FX6300, R9 290 4g vram, 24 gigs ddr3 1600.

I turned off nvidias hair to off, and foliage to high, everything else on ultra with HBAO+. 60 fps 1080p baby.

So ya anyone with AMD cards just get rid of nvidias hair for now.

But.. but how?
AMD haven't released a driver for the Witcher 3, right? :p
Yeah, the game is running smoothly on AMD card despite the lack of "mandatory" new driver update.

varkuriru

Color me surprised. Running this on low settings at 1080p with a 560ti and it is quite playable. I am not having any issues with the framerate.

Redmoon

Seeing other Titan x owners getting 40-50 fps in SLI make me think its not just me. I need to do an os reinstall tomorrow anyway but I doubt that will change anything.

Settled for Ultra/max/all options on at 1440p on one card. Getting 50+ fps

Top Bottom