• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

erawsd

Good call. The previous version only had an AA on - off toggle. And it was only believed to be FXAA. But what the newest version actually uses we don't know I believe.

I thought they said they were using some in house TXAA they developed?

Redmoon

The files also explicitly said MSAA is not currently supported. It requires engine level changes as they don't currently support any hardware AA solution. Highly doubt they are making new engine features at this point during crunch time

According to this chart, it's 3 frames.

What about SMAA?

I feel pretty confident you can hit a nice, relatively stable 60fps. :)

How can you be so sure :p

In all seriousness I'll probably just turn down some settings, it's not that big a deal

No need to play with ultra settings. Playing with high should catapult you above 60 easily.

Yeah you're right. I'm hoping ultra settings include things like a maxed out draw distance slider and MSAA, which are things I can live without. I'm guessing hairworks is included to which I'm not fussed about, good thing to considering I've got an AMD card

Kaze2212

The files also explicitly said MSAA is not currently supported. It requires engine level changes as they don't currently support any hardware AA solution. Highly doubt they are making new engine features at this point during crunch time

Oh, didn't see the note next to the MSAA setting, thanks!

borborygmus

Hm, my old as hell 2GB HD 6970 is well below the minimum specs, yet I've been holding out on upgrading since new tech is just around the corner. :/

Even 30fps @ 1080p on medium seems unlikely for me to pull off. Wondering if I should get the ps4 version.

Derp

According to this chart, it's 3 frames.

kONibAa.jpg
Wow. I was staring at the same chart for minutes and still didn't pick it up. I even quoted the damn chart.

The chart is on this very page (well, the previous). You even quoted it! On a 960 HBAO+ is even faster than the default AO!
I'm tired dammit! :p

napata

Which graphics comparisons? The ones with versions that didn't even include the real ultra settings?

Well you can't blame people for being skeptical after everything CDPR pulled. I mean now suddenly there's this new ultra setting out of nowhere which we hear about the day it releases.

Staab

Pentium G3258 am cry :(
Hope the game runs at least, my 280x doesn't chart too badly @ 1080p, fingers crossed...

viveks86

I'd still recommend people to take the charts with a little grain of salt. What I'm reading is that the review build is still not exactly the same as the public final build.

The Witcher 3 is on the home straight, meanwhile us the developer has supplied CD Projekt Red with a quasi-final version. "Quasi" because although the Day-1 patch is already present in our version, but not yet final adjustments that allegedly some of the announced by Nvidia itself Game Ready driver for The Witcher 3 has to do. We can not guarantee 100 percent that the graphics shown below corresponds exactly to what the users by 1 clock in the morning to play on Tuesday and so. We ask for your understanding, because more we do not know unfortunately.

PCGH is being extremely trigger happy the past few days with their constant flurry of "updates", comparisons and benchmarks over multiple builds that are contradicting each other. If I were them, I'd just ease off the throttle for a day or two. But that would mean lesser clicks, I guess

Wow. I was staring at the same chart for minutes and still didn't pick it up. I even quoted the damn chart.

Launch day panic. Understandable :p

Does the game support any AA solution? D:

Only post process. Equivalent to FXAA and some in-house temporal AA solution

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Dat chart. Glad I went with a R9 280X over a GTX 960 when I changed my GPU. If I lower some settings I'm sure I'll be able to scrape by at 30 FPS at 1080p :lol.

RE4PRR

Doesn't the game unlock soon for certain regions? Really wanna see what I can expect with an r9 290.

I'm in Aus and tried proxy for US site and it gives me the exact same countdown, different currency so definitely worked. 10 Hours and 20 mins. Annoying because it's just after I start work so will need to Teamviewer into home pc to start the download. At least it won't take all day to download. (Gmg keys not out until release).

Gbraga

I'm very glad to see the little impact of HBAO+ on framerate, I guess I'll be using it after all.

Though it may also be because it's not working? Some people had the theory that HBAO+ is glitched prerelase, which is why we didn't see any shots with it on?

I wish they did medium and high benchmarks as well, would be very helpful.

Salaadin

Boy I'm glad that I have an MSI 970 gaming. Looks like mid 40s it is for me unless I turn some things down. I'll probably just cap it at 30 and maybe try bumping up the res

Rodin

Dat chart. Glad I went with a R9 280X over a GTX 960 when I changed my GPU. If I lower some settings I'm sure I'll be able to scrape by at 30 FPS at 1080p :lol.

Well a 960 slightly OC (or at least, a version with a bit more factory OC than that Zotac) seems perfectly capable of running it at max details/30fps. With this game the card seems to perform slightly better than the 770, which is roughly on par with a 280X but who knows, maybe the AMD card fares better here. We'll know for sure when they add it to the bench :p

Zaru

Hard decision, turn up as much as I can to get stable 30fps, or turn down a bit (there's really not much difference in some settings) to get 60? I fear spending my first hour of the game just finding the right setting

UnrealEck

Which graphics comparisons? The ones with versions that didn't even include the real ultra settings?

'Real' ultra settings could simply be a newer patch they've later produced after last minute scrambling. But yes, that patch which produces an apparently substantial performance hit (on top of the already substantial hit from hairworks) if we compare it to the performance of the game prior to those benchmarks. From what's been said of the patch, it also doesn't appear to change much in the way of improving the graphics.

viveks86

Alright. Ill check out what they have to offer. At any rate the 4K DSR will add some AA support too.

You are going to use 4k DSR for this game? Do you have a single card or SLI? Because Nvidia doesn't support DSR at 4k for SLI setups. It will not utilize one of your cards.

sgs2008

looks like my titan x sli will be put to good use at 1440p with everything turned up. Don't mien if it even drops to mid 40's though I dont think it will as I have a gsync monitor

So I am curious about something. Only followed the downgrade thread and a few others casually. With the performance graphs we are seeing, does it confirm that it won't look identical to PS4 or is the game that horribly unoptimized?

seph1roth

If someone can post the perfect config to run the game on steady 60fps with a 970 i will be very thankful.

Of course when the game launches...

:D

Grechy34

Watching a dude stream on Twitch on a GTX760 and it seems to be running just fine at a reasonable resolution.

Edit: Only at 720P though. :p

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Well a 960 slightly OC (or at least, a version with a bit more factory OC than that Zotac) seems perfectly capable of running it at max details/30fps. With this game the card seems to perform slightly better than the 770, which is roughly on par with a 280X but who knows, maybe the AMD card fares better here. We'll know for sure when they add it to the bench :p

Wonder how my specific XFX R9 runs it, kinda a mess to compare with all the different factory clocks and tweaks, I'll just have to wait to sink my teeth into the game on my own.

Biggest worry is of course my FX CPU

Hagi

Huh I had no idea that the 285X was even a thing. Is is a big difference between the normal 280X OC? I'm only really planning on playing on high with capped at 30 with as much setting turned on as I can.

Watching that Nvidia video and hair works seems like a must have. The difference is pretty striking. Is that something AMD users will be able to use? albeit not as well I imagine.

Akhe

My rig:

gtx 760 2gb windforce rev2.0
12 dd3 G.Skill Ares 1600mhz
i5 4670

This game need to run one way or another. I don't care so much 1080 + 60 fps + All effects applied.

The Cowboy

So I am curious about something. Only followed the downgrade thread and a few others casually. With the performance graphs we are seeing, does it confirm that it won't look identical to PS4 or is the game that horribly unoptimized?
The game was updated with better LOD and more grass etc in the 1.02 build, on the older build (info in the downgrade thread) that was the ultra setting, however those ultra settings are now the very high setting in the new build and the new better LOD/grass used in this benchmark is the new Ultra setting.

So the pics etc from the downgrade thread based on this new build would be the very high setting.

I think it works out like this.

PS4 = high setting,
Old build ultra = very high setting.
New build ultra = ultra.

UnrealEck

With the performance graphs we are seeing, does it confirm that it won't look identical to PS4 or is the game that horribly unoptimized?

Optimisation can come from reduction in quality.
We can't say for sure whether it'll be a bigger step above the console versions after they patch it (again). But I suspect, from what I've read on other sites who have been testing the game on PC, that they're changing things like object draw distance which can have a pretty large impact on performance. Beyond that, I doubt the game's going to look much better than previous comparisons with the console versions.

Ark

I5 4670k @ 4.2 and an OC 970 should see me at high and 60fps. I don't mind turning down a few settings for a stable 60fps.

Will report back in the morning.

Redmoon

You are going to use 4k DSR for this game? Do you have a single card or SLI? Because Nvidia doesn't support DSR at 4k for SLI setups. It will not utilize one of your cards.

Hmm. I have SLI
Could have swore I used DSR and SLI together.

If anything I can make a custom resolution for 4K.

OmegaDL50

Aren't the consoles using AMD graphics chips, and CDProjektRed has gone on count to say the console versions on par with the PC version at High outside some PC specific settings?

If that being the case, I don't see how an AMD GPU that is more powerful then the APU inside either then PS4 and XB1 would run the game worse.

My HD7950 shouldn't have issues in this regard, but I guess I will see tonight at 7PM EST first hand on what happens.

The game was updated with better LOD and more grass etc in the 1.02 build, on the older build (info in the downgrade thread) that was the ultra setting, however those settings are now the very high setting and the new LOD/grass (used in this benchmark) is the new Ultra setting.

So the pics etc from the downgrade thread based on this new build would be the very high setting.

PS4 = high setting,
Old build ultra = very high setting.
New build ultra = ultra.

OK. Thanks for the run down. I'm running an overclocked i5 4670k and 970 that is overclocked so I am curious to see how that goes. Find out tonight for sure.

I think it's really crazy that a Titan X is ~60fps at 1080p in this game. That's a $1300 CAD GPU just getting double the FPS of the PS4 version. Sure some of the effects are better looking than the PS4 version, but from the screen comparisons posted earlier its not that big of a leap. On top of that I went back to Dragon Age Iquisition recently, and it compares pretty nicely with the Witcher from what I can tell. So does GTA V, and performs better from what I can tell as well. I have a 970 so I can max it out and play it fine, but those numbers are a little shocking.

Top Bottom