• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

dEvAnGeL

no improvement at all for me, gtx 980 here, before the patch everything was on ultra except shadows and foliage distance, those were on high, that was to maintain a solid 60, after the patch things are still the same

Shadownet

Banned
So I downloaded the new patch today, played with the old GTAV driver. Everything was 60fps. Now I just downloaded the new Witcher 3 driver that came out on the 18th. Now the same settings is netting me 55-57fps. wtf.

So I downloaded the new patch today, played with the old GTAV driver. Everything was 60fps. Now I just downloaded the new Witcher 3 driver that came out on the 18th. Now the same settings is netting me 55-57fps. wtf.

I noticed I lost a couple frames as well. In one area where I normally got ~42 FPS (where you save the merchant from the Griffin at the beginning of the game), I now get about 39 FPS. Granted the difference is barely noticeable (if at all), but it still sucks to lose frames when patches should always improve, not reduce, performance.

RC0101

I've got GTX 780 Ghz Edition cards in SLI. They have the three fan coolers rather than the reference design, so they tend to dump a lot of hot air into one another. That being said, with a fairly aggressive fan curve they are hitting 75C. Without the fan curve applied, one of the cards was consistently hitting the low 80s.

Same with mine. One will hit about 75 the other is around 60.

Xyber

So I just installed the new update for the game, and now I'm getting HORRENDOUS hitching. Whenever I'm running (on horseback or not) the game jerks probably once every second. It's awful. I also noticed it set my texture settings to Low, and I'm 99% sure they were on Ultra before.

I should note I did roll back to the GTA5 game ready drivers for Nvidia. I'm on a 980. I'm installing the latest Nvidia drivers now (hoping that the Steam update squashed the bugs I rolled my drivers back for).

If you have changed the texture budget in the settings file it will show up as low in the game. It always does that when it's not one of the preset values.

FakeWayne

Neo Member
I'm sure it's already been mentioned somewhere in here...but setting CPU Priority to High, definitely helped my minor microstuttering issue.

So i played the last few hours and everything is pretty great except I'm getting some major hitching / stuttering, especially at night in the dark.

Anyone else getting this? Im getting a steady 40+ FPS with Ultra settings and everything seems fine except the hitching sometimes.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
This game is fucking amazing. I just hit level 9 and my only concern at this point is how annoyed my wife will be that I'm playing so much. I'm going to play a few more hours - based on what I read about reviewers level at finish I'm nearly
1/3
done with core gameplay.

To those of you crashing all of the time, try uninstalling Chrome. Yesterday I saw in the OP that Google Chrome's hardware acceleration was a likely cause, and it recommended killing Chrome in background processes. As a tenured software engineer that specializes in software automation (Continuous Integration), I know that Google scripts the fuck out of tasks, and I also recall that Europe is still largely Firefox users. Knowing that Google has a couple of routine tasks in Windows Task scheduler and who knows what in user files (seriously, try to find chome.exe for your light PC users), I decided uninstalling Chrome was the best bet. It paid off. The first night I played a couple of hours and crashed at least 6 times - and having an HTPC it's extra annoying because my receiver will negotiate the wrong audio + video settings sometimes requiring me to reboot my PC. After uninstalling Chrome I have played at least 10 hours with 0 crashes. The only bug I saw was Geralt's model stuck when trying on new armor, but it fixed itself after about 2 minutes. Or maybe it was patch 1.03, I don't recall when it got installed.

Anyone have the issue where the game straight up refuses to launch in fullscreen properly? (I've noticed this happening in other game too)

It starts to launch fullscreen and then randomly decides it wants to switch to windowed mode, or minimize itself to the desktop, or run in borderless windowed mode.

It's driving me up a wall, I have to fix it every time I launch the game.

Vitor711

let me know if that works switching to the newer drivers because I'm in the same exact boat as you, I might even be sitting right behind you.

Weird - running a 980 too and no issues on my end anymore.

Game looks gorgeous and I can get a locked 60FPS at 1080 with everything on ultra (minus shadows on high) and no hairworks. I also put FPS to unlimited though and force a cap through RSS. Try that - might help.

The 1.03 update did something to improve the shadow quality on ultra because the performance hit is now huge. Wasn't that big before.

The above settings will guarantee you only minor dips in the most stressful areas and a near perfect 60FPS the rest of the time. This is on GTA5 drivers too - no stuttering.

If anyone can tell me. Will it run at Ultra settings on a

16gb of ram
AMD FX 8350 STOCK
R9 290X

also hairworks is only nvidia exclusive?

Quoting myself for new page. Really need info on this since I bought the PS4 version. I know they look similar. with the difference being fps and AA. But since I dont own an Nvidia card I wont make use of Hairworks (Thats Nvidia exclusive right?)

Teletraan1

Banned
Any 3570K and 670 users in here? How ya holding up?

I wont be able to play it for another week.

My 3570K is at 4.5Ghz and my 670 is currently just factory overclocked.
I have it running at 30 always with a mix of mostly high and maybe one ultra setting except foliage distance and shadows at med. Mix of post processing that I like or don't. Hairworks off HBAO+ on. Borderless window with unlimited frame rate and vsync off in game. Vsync enabled in NVInspector at 1/2 refresh and a 30 cap is producing no judder for me. I have never had a crash with this game pre or post patch. knocks on wood.

I just started a new area as I applied the patch so it felt like my performance was better with the patch but it could have just been the new area. /shrug

Quoting myself for new page. Really need info on this since I bought the PS4 version. I know they look similar. with the difference being fps and AA. But since I dont own an Nvidia card I wont make use of Hairworks (Thats Nvidia exclusive right?)

You're fine at ultra settings 60 fps.
If you want hairworks on, there are a couple tweaks to make it works flawlessly on AMD cards.
http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36jpe9/how_to_run_hairworks_on_amd_cards_without/
http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36jjoz/psa_change_hairworksaa_in_renderingini_for_a/

AU Tiger

I have a 980 and is it just me or is hair works just not worth it?... I barely notice fur and stuff on monsters due to combat being so fast paced any way. thoughts?

Not worth it IMO. I have a 980 also and even though I routinely sit between 50~60 fps, I think that hair works off just plain looks better. It's like light/shading isn't working right on the tesselated hairs or something??

Sure it doesn't quite move as well but getting a locked 60 fps is a good trade off and it still moves like hair more or less with it off.

If they ever give us a monster/beast only hair works option, I'd give that a shot.

ON
u73havp.png

OFF
llCHHVP.png

All that said though, my BIGGEST PROBLEM with the game is the absolutely ATROCIOUS controls!! Seriously I have never played a 3rd person game that feels this bad.

Witcher 1/2 felt great but this game has such a bizarre twitchy aspect and goes from damn near tank controls to full sprint and the jumping animation and how geralt moves when he jumps is insanely weird and unnatural.

teokrazia

Anyone have the issue where the game straight up refuses to launch in fullscreen properly? (I've noticed this happening in other game too)

It starts to launch fullscreen and then randomly decides it wants to switch to windowed mode, or minimize itself to the desktop, or run in borderless windowed mode.

It's driving me up a wall, I have to fix it every time I launch the game.

Yep, it happens to me all the times.
I've to manually set it to full screen.

You're fine at ultra settings 60 fps.
If you want hairworks on, there are a couple tweaks to make it works flawlessly on AMD cards.
http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36jpe9/how_to_run_hairworks_on_amd_cards_without/
http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36jjoz/psa_change_hairworksaa_in_renderingini_for_a/

Awesome. Returning this one tomorrow. Also, does the gog version include everything included in physical copies? I know the map isnt on it. But digital soundtrack and everything?

Red Comet

Alright, finished the Witcher 2 last night so I was able to load this up today and play a couple of hours.

Playing at 1440p with:

16 GB RAM
i7-4770k @ 4.5 Ghz
Titan X

With Hairworks turned off and every other setting maxed out, I get between 50-70 FPS at all times. I wouldn't be surprised to see it dip into the 40's when the shit hits the fan, but I haven't seen that happen yet. I could probably maintain a solid 60 FPS if I knocked a few things down to high, but I don't feel any need to do so with G-Sync. Looks great and it plays well so far.

Weird - running a 980 too and no issues on my end anymore.

Game looks gorgeous and I can get a locked 60FPS at 1080 with everything on ultra (minus shadows on high) and no hairworks. I also put FPS to unlimited though and force a cap through RSS. Try that - might help.

The 1.03 update did something to improve the shadow quality on ultra because the performance hit is now huge. Wasn't that big before.

The above settings will guarantee you only minor dips in the most stressful areas and a near perfect 60FPS the rest of the time. This is on GTA5 drivers too - no stuttering.

Yea its as if the animation itself is micro stuttering while hes running or on horse, it doesn't exactly cause the frames to be lowered or anything. I'll give your advice a try but whats RSS?

AEREC

i7-870
GTX 970

1080p

Everything on high (hairworks off) I get what feels like 60fps
Everythign on ultra (hairworks off) I get what feels like 60fps but with some frame hitching or frame skipping that absolutely drives me nuts.

MSI 970
8gb ram

Everything on ultra, hairworks (x2 aa tweak) on. Locked to 30 with Riva. The framerate doesn't move at all (even with crossbow after the patch) , but like others there's a weird stutter when moving. It's fine when still, and strangely when galloping, but it seems to be worse when just walking or trotting.

Just been playing for five hours straight on the latest patch and not one crash.

Kamina

Golden Boy
what does blur do? not motion blur, but blur.
According to Nvidia:

"If you want to accentuate the speed of an attack or creature, or distort the screen when casting a spell, Blur & Motion Blur are your go-to settings. With "Blur", radial and Gaussian blur is introduced, and with "Motion Blur" we see the introduction of general velocity-based blurring."

Sounds like Blur is mainly introducing this slight tunnel-effect when running fast, essentially blurring the world that passes by while moving forward with speed.
The Gaussian part is essentially a blurr shader that covers up grain or flickering with a filter that smoothens the picture.
I guess it's not really necessary but might be preferred by some people and others not.

Lingitiz

Any 3570K and 670 users in here? How ya holding up?

I wont be able to play it for another week.

I'm running a 4670k @3.8 and 670 on my backup comp. 1920x1200 and trying to get a good balance between performance and quality. Terrain and textures at ultra, shadows and foliage distance at medium, everything else on high, HBAO+ and all postprocessing on.

For the most part it runs at 30-40, even higher in some cases. Some scenes do cause drops below 30, mostly in conversations or where there is heavy fog for some reason. It does look pretty amazing though.

At 1080p and with a good amount of tweaking you should see good results.

squall23

What kind of magic has CDP done with this game? My rig is old, I got this thing 8-9 years ago and it wouldn't even be considered top of the line. The only thing I've ever upgraded was the graphics card.

2.66ghz Core 2 Quad
6GB RAM
Radeon HD 6970 (yes, I realize my computer is probably bottlenecked as hell with this)
Nothing overclocked

I'm running this game on high everything with a few tweaks like no motion blur and I'm getting 60FPS at 1680x1050 and I'm already at the main map. DA:I runs OK when in a much lower resolution windowed and at low to medium settings, and Dying Light barely runs with everything low and a lower resolution.

The only drawback is I can't have Waterfox running in the background.

Well a friend of mine who works at GS is gifting me his gog key which they received for free for PC. Do I get all that digital goodness offered or will it be only the game?

Fracas

#fuckonami
So I finally got a sweet combination of high and ultra settings. Getting 55-60 fps.

This game is absolutely gorgeous. Definitely the new benchmark, I feel.
I've been using a SweetFX profile that makes the game a little cooler and a little less saturated - nothing too extreme. Really happy with how it looks:

Here it is if anyone wants to give it a shot:

http://a.pomf.se/bqysbq.txt

How do I install this? Looks really nice!

thuway

Hows performance on a 280X with a 2500K looking like? I won't have any time to play, but wondering if the "high" route versus the "ultra" route is anything to worry about?

let me know if that works switching to the newer drivers because I'm in the same exact boat as you, I might even be sitting right behind you.

Updating to the latest drivers fixed this. I played for close to 3 hours without any crashing... Until I tried to quit. It literally locked on the quit confirmation screen, with music playing.

I wasn't that mad.

Wag

This game runs like total shit on my setup:

i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz 16GB 1600DDR, 3 6GB SLI Titans @ 4k/60Hz

I'm struggling to get 30FPS @ 4k with hairworks off at times. It gets so bad even the voice is out of sync during the rendered cut-scenes. Lots of micro-stutter and judder too. This game really needs some serious horsepower to run @ 4k. To think I invested $3000 in those cards once. 😢

When's the 980Ti coming out?

(Posting it here instead of the patch thread)

Alright quick question guys, I forced AF X16 through the Nvidia control panel,should I be disabling it now since the patch adds X16?

Which one is superior? I cant check as I'm at work and wont be back home for some hours so I'm dying to know.

Exoda

Neo Member
Does anyone know if 1.03 patch resolved the hitching/stuttering when you slowly pan the camera horizontally with a controller?

Pop

Patch 1.03 performance on:

x4 760k
R9 280

1080p, everything on high/ultra. I got about a 5fps increase with this patch. Now running between 50-60fps. Also no bugs on my end. I haven't ran into any.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Okay so I've finally been able to jump on and actually start playing again after only spending two hours on release day. Everything was going swell until I hit the quest
where you are tasked with cleansing the well
and as soon as I walked beyond that area it started freezing constantly.

Settings haven't been tweaked to any real degree from what it suggested on launch, except shadows at lowest possible and motion blur off. I'm running:

GTX 770 4GB
i7 3770k
8GB DDR3 1866 MHz RAM
Win 8.1

Could it be that my drive isn't keeping up? Its installed on a SATA 3 7200 RPM but I might try moving it to my 120GB SSD. Can I just cut/copy or do I have to fiddle with some uninstall?

Top Bottom