• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PS4 patch 1.50 adds Pro support out now

thelastword

Banned
It is more gpu bound- unless you are in Novigrad. Novigrad is a huge CPU hog. People just didn't realize it on initial release because most don't go to Novigrad until really far into the game so most benchmarks don't show it.
Fair enough, though I would take 1080p 60fps with drops in novigrad to the 40's or 50's...as an additional mode..aka.. performance mode...I think it would work nicely.

Watching it go from day to night once in 4K is enough to convince me this is the greatest looking game ever (maybe not technically but artistically):

This game in 1080 on an OG PS4 moved me in a way no game ever has. If I ever pair my Pro with a 4K, I'll be a mess.

AmyS

Question: I have the physical disc, so would it be a good idea to delete and reinstall, or will it be okay to just download the patch?

I ask because I often read comments about doing a fresh install before adding a patch with some games, and I think someone mentioned it this morning for Witcher 3.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Question: I have the physical disc, so would it be a good idea to delete and reinstall, or will it be okay to just download the patch?

I ask because I often read comments about doing a fresh install before adding a patch with some games, and I think someone mentioned it this morning for Witcher 3.
I’ve never heard of that or done it for anything. Just install the patch.

onQ123

A part of me would love for it to be another rendering trick because if it's so good that people can't tell the difference between it & "Native 4K" that would be a win all around instead of just a win for PS4 Pro.

Tagyhag

It's native 4K with no CB or dynamic resolution? That's super impressive.

I wonder what they'll add extra for the X1X then. Maybe better shadows or hairworks?

Can you even do hairworks on a non-Nvidia GPU?

onQ123

Not with that CPU, m8.

Not with that CPU.

HBIyfrY.png

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...ace-to-4k-how-scorpio-targets-ultra-hd-gaming

thelastword

Banned
These are the guys who got witcher 2 running on 360! They have naughty dog levels of optimization imo.
No, but it seems to be a good enough patch...It just needs a performance mode...

Why are people expecting better textures? That's not really gonna be happening for any pro games is it? I'm under the impression that there's not enough memory bandwidth for 4K assets.
What 4k assets?

Does this mean the Xbox one X will be at dynamic 4K with 60 fps? I believe it's achievable
No, the GPU won't allow it.....4k 60fps? NO....You can expect the same result as the PRO here...maybe with a few features turned up.

PRO seems to have better filtering and improved shadows though......ontop of the higher resolution...

I've been waiting for this! Time to dive back into the game. Watching the NXGamer analysis and it seems they've did a pretty bang up job with this patch. A pity there's no HDR support but the resolution bump is already going to do wonders for this game.

aett

On PS4 Pro, is there a way to toggle the new Pro features? I'd like to compare them but I didn't see anything in the settings.

KageMaru

I wonder what they'll add extra for the X1X then. Maybe better shadows or hairworks?

It uses CBR but it's still impressive. I also wouldn't be expecting hairworks, it kills performance on higher end GPUs.

They aren't going to be doing this on a 2 year old game. I'd be surprised if any third party games use this.

No, but it seems to be a good enough patch...It just needs a performance mode...

Most people were expecting 1440p and nothing else. This is a great patch that they deserve credit for.

No, the GPU won't allow it.....4k 60fps? NO....You can expect the same result as the PRO here...maybe with a few features turned up.

PRO seems to have better filtering and improved shadows though......ontop of the higher resolution...

The better filtering and improved shadows is because of the higher resolution, not on top of it.

This guy.

Life must be really pleasant fighting this speculative, pathetic war of yours.

What war is that? Someone posted 2 pics, said here's a PC shot for comparison and I cropped a section of them and made a comparison link of both of them.

You sure you're not dragging baggage from other threads into this one?

Ahasverus

Yeah, it might be due to a slow roll out. UK here.
Or maybe it is for the Euro zone only? Still haven't got it.
Made a quick comparison of those 2 shots.. yea it looks really good, but still doesn't come close to the PC version at native 4K.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/119502
I legit couldn't care less, it looks amazing and has zero, zero, ZERO jaggies, this is like, heaven for me. Wow.

Not to mention the PC necessary to run it at 4K costs 2X a Pro

The lack of HDR is interesting, maybe they will implement it later. Given how colorful and beautiful the game looks already, HDR might melt my eyes.

Tagyhag

Gross. That's like playing in game mode.

It uses CBR but it's still impressive. I also wouldn't be expecting hairworks, it kills performance on higher end GPUs.

Oh OK, I'm getting conflicting information in this thread but it doesn't help that people call CBR 4K just 4K now. :p

This guy.

Life must be really pleasant fighting this speculative, pathetic war of yours.

Mate you might have to look in a mirror, you're the only person that brought this up.

Or maybe it is for the Euro zone only? Still haven't got it.
I got it in Australia.

One thing to note is that, in my region anyway, Sony just updated their terms and conditions (or whatever they're called). Maybe try logging out of the PSN, and then logging back in to see if you get prompted to accept them. That might be your roadblock.

Coreda

The lack of HDR is interesting, maybe they will implement it later. Given how colorful and beautiful the game looks already, HDR might melt my eyes.

Doesn't pretty much everything in a game require it to be made with HDR in mind for the expanded color space (and luminance IIRC)?

Ahasverus

I got it in Australia.

One thing to note is that, in my region anyway, Sony just updated their terms and conditions (or whatever they're called). Maybe try logging out of the PSN, and then logging back in to see if you get prompted to accept them. That might be your roadblock.
I already did that to download the first update.

It's really weird as I'm using both an American and a Colombian account.

What I'm wondering is if patch 1.51 irons out the little performance drops I've been having (It only got really bad at the Wild Hunt cutscene, you know the one, the downgradeaton). I'm rally, really happy with my current update but if 1.51 is better by all means I want to be blessed.

Likely running the foliage at full res too.

Davide

IQ is so clean now on a 1080p TV. Really a noticeable step up.

PS4 Pro was quiet testing in Novigrad, but the fan was full force in Tuissant.

If I had a 4K TV I'd be really disappointed there's no HDR, those sunsets were made for it.

Doesn't pretty much everything in a game require it to be made with HDR in mind for the expanded color space (and luminance IIRC)?
I don't know the technical aspects because that stuff doesn't interest. I didn't know that was a thing that had to be considered. Either way, I'm not worried and the game is beautiful regardless.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Yes. A lot of games that are implementing it had assets created in a 10 bit color space (not uncommon among high end asset creation). Luminance also needs to be adjusted. HDR is a strange beast in that the initial workflow adjustments to implement it can be pretty hefty in some cases but it becomes dramatically easier after that. I would guess that Witcher 3 is a case where the assets just plain weren't made in a way that can support it. Hopefully Cyperpunk will.

Tyaren

Took the shots directly from USB

Maybe Flickr could be reasonable though

If it's a jpeg it is automatically compressed, no matter how you transfer it to your PC. Change the image format to png an you're good. I host all my screenshots on Flickr, it served me well.

But even for a jpeg your image looked strangely blurry. I've been playing The Witcher 3 on my Pro and it looks really crisp.

Top Bottom