• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Black Ops 4 going campaign-less, would this be a sign of the future of COD games?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The only reason there wasn’t a campaign this year I believe is because of time constraints (yearly release schedule)
I would say the only real reason this one doesn't have campaign because they saw how much Battle Royal games like Fortnite makes money so they decide makes one as well instead of making SP. I would also say people would have less problem with online only COD if they didn't call it BO4.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I would say the only real reason this one doesn't have campaign because they saw how much Battle Royal games like Fortnite makes money so they decide makes one as well instead of making SP. I would also say people would have less problem with online only COD if they didn't call it BO4.
You’re telling me the developers, artists and other creative teams were down with the decision to make it campaign-less? Sounds like a corporate decision.

Grinchy

Banned
CoD don’t run on servers, but peer 2 peer connection. Heck I can even still find online games in Bad Company 1 on Xbox One though BC.
You think they're running a 100 player battle royale game on peer-to-peer? Even WWII had dedicated servers. It may not have happened until a few weeks after launch or something, I don't remember. But they do actually use dedicated servers for COD these days and this new one should be using them too.

VertigoOA

Banned
Non issue. Actually it’s the first cod I’m buying in like 7 years.

Pretty sure the extra development studio and black out cost far more than some generic 4 hr campaign so I’m not assuming anyone is getting screwed out of anything.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
It isn't CoD, it is the industry itself. Multiplayer is much easier to monetize after the initial sale because people keep playing instead of uninstalling after they finish the campaign.

If you also control centralized servers/matchmaking it works as DRM without being the sort of DRM that people whine about.

Top Bottom