• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With CDPR acquiring rights, we could possibly see a Witcher 4 - what NEEDS to be improved?

xrnzaaas

Don't put hundreds of question marks over the water. We all know they're sunken treasures. Besides they take way too much time to explore if you're a completionist. ;)

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Somethings that really should have been caught in playtesting - I'm sure they know :
  • When in combat mode - can't run away without "mud glue mode" activating - lose that
  • Ever got into fights with wolves and a werewolf - prepare for sword-swapping animation spam every time you change target . fix this.

Yeah, nothing worse than running through the swamp, then you hear drowners pop up, then Geralt goes into low profile and turns round and you can't make him run away properly. Was well annoying. That second one is quite an interesting case, maybe have oils for multiple enemy types (hangmans venom?)

No Ciri at all. Make the main story secondary to all the side quests in the world. Literally make the game about just being a Witcher doing Witcher shit wherever and whenever.

I didn't mind the Ciri storyline, kept things driving forward. Obviously there are three endings and I'm not sure which is canon. I'd like to think the true witcher ending.

Love the Witcher 3 but I'd still like to see some things improved/changed:

The big one for me is combat. It was better than in TW2 but it still feels janky, it's not as responsive as I'd like, hit detection wasn't great and the hits themselves lack impact and often felt more like I was fighting with a stick instead of a sword.

Yeah especially the elemnenta, would liked to have seen rocks being sliced off or broken off. The free DLC for finishers was good and running a dismember trophy helped with the realism aspect. Shields sucked ass - they neevr quite worked as expected and were way OP aside from using axii or igni.

1. Number 1 for me is the NPCs,

3. Dear god.....stop with the political jargon. As someone that played all 3 games and read some of the books and finished BOTH games again right before playing 3, the entire political thing in the world is so damn boring its not even funny, the team is so arrogant about this, they start off Witcher 3 telling you about all this crap as if you really care THAT much about it, even coming off of both titles I felt how they were telling the story was really insulting as they started acting like you are obsessed with the world, thus they can just casually start telling you junk about its politics and king as if you care.

The NPC's were interesting, but they all had 'press x', and half of them would just clear their nose or say a random sentence so that was a bit lacking. The game does info dump at the start as well hah. Talking about Temeria, Nilfgaard, Radovid etc. it all got a bit convoluted and should have been developed a bit better. However, even the Stormcloaks and Imperials from skyrim was a mess as well.

I also think the treasure hunts were a bit poo. Of all the question marks, they have to go as well as smugglers cache and sunken treasures. I know they had lots of diagrams and schematics to uncover, but make them less. Most only went for the sets, bombs, oils and decoctions. Also fix the pockets on console at least (am assuming PC had keybinds here). Only having two available without long depress and only having maximum of four was ridiculous - and actualyl considering the signs as well - quickswitching needs to be much better between oils, potion, bombs, consumables and signs in general.

Last edited:
While the gameplay is not perfect, it's extremely good for a WRPG. To everyone criticizing it, did you try it on Death March? You'll quickly see how indepth it becomes.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
My wishlist for Witcher 4:

1. Ciri is the playable character. It's set when she is in her early 30's so about 10 years after the ending of Witcher 3. Geralt has taken over the role of Vesemir so we will see him and interact with him. We just don't play as him. Yennefer + Triss will also appear.
2. Combat similar to Sekiro. God damn, the sword play in that game is top notch (heh). It doesn't need to be as difficult as Sekiro but if you want that level of challenge you can bump up the difficulty.
3. Improve animations. Make NPCs more varied.
4. Get rid of the Witcher senses or at least improve them.
5. Seriously improve Roach. She just keeps getting stuck and controls horribly. By all means keep her doing silly stuff but it's bad when you end up ditching the horse and running everywhere.
6. More Gwent.

Aion002

Please lose the Ubisoft checklist.

The game world does not need to have one billion of quests.

It does not need to have a gazillion of collectibles.

Bring back the arena mode of TW2, improve the combat, improve the dialogue options, make the world smaller but less repetitive, less npcs but more detailed ones with good story and voice acting for the small role npcs.

It should have "dungeons" like TW2, linear stages where game design is important.

Do not go Ubisoft route. We don't need to travel a fucking minute or two to get a fetch mission that is talk with generic dude on point A and generic dude at point B to get 100xp points if traveling is always the same boring stuff.

Learn things from these open world games like God of War(semi open world, with memorable action sequences), Death Stranding (smaller, interesting world to explore and path choices feel important and fun) and RDR2 (quest and npcs are really well done).

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

Bring back the arena mode of TW2, improve the combat, improve the dialogue options, make the world smaller but less repetitive, less npcs but more detailed ones with good story and voice acting for the small role npcs.

It should have "dungeons" like TW2, linear stages where game design is important.

Do not go Ubisoft route. We don't need to travel a fucking minute or two to get a fetch mission that is talk with generic dude on point A and generic dude at point B to get 100xp points if traveling is always the same boring stuff.

Learn things from these open world games like God of War(semi open world, with memorable action sequences), Death Stranding (smaller, interesting world to explore and path choices feel important and fun) and RDR2 (quest and npcs are really well done).
i almost took you seriously until you said to learn things from God of War + Death Stranding.

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

cormack12

Gold Member
6. More Gwent.

You know I really enjoyed Gwent second time round after not touching it. So umch so, I downloaded the mobile app - what the fuck did they do to Gwent? I was hoping for just a sexier version of what was in the witcher 3. That mobile game was a world away with schlocky animations and boards, different rules and crazy perks/skill couplings. No wonder they stopped supporting it.

I wanted more Gwent and got a completely different experience.

VertigoOA

Banned
Well I want more Geralt. Don’t care about playing as Ciri.

Do I love the game or being Geralt of Rivia? Hard to answer...

I’ll be fine if it’s more of the same but ripping off souls combat. They mimicked Arkham last time... so I’d expect the next game to do souls combat.

I’m not too hyped about Cyberpunk. I wish it was another Witcher game instead.

The Witcher 3 is praised for perfecting the open world formula. Death Stranding well.... Why would CD Projekt Red suddenly revert to using that as an inspiration?

Aion002

The Witcher 3 is praised for perfecting the open world formula. Death Stranding well.... Why would CD Projekt Red suddenly revert to using that as an inspiration?

Because that formula is not perfect? Everybody praised TW3 open world because of the graphics and art style, at that time it was all that it needed. But after Death Stranding approach to different types of terrain, maybe any Open World can take some notes. For instance, in TW3 walking in the woods, in a beach, in a city or in a mountain is exactly the same, the are no difference to the terrain. DS on the other hand has that.... at least in my opinion.

And it's not a revert, it's an improvement. Things to improve.

See AC Odyssey, is almost a carbon copy of TW3 style, it's a fine game. But that's it, no one cares about it... it's a huge Ubisoft checklist game with TW3 inspiration.

I believe that CD Projekt knows that, so I am not worried about it. They know that they cannot ship a new game with the same mechanics of a 2015 game....

Because that formula is not perfect? Everybody praised TW3 open world because of the graphics and art style, at that time it was all that it needed. But after Death Stranding approach to different types of terrain, maybe any Open World can take some notes. For instance, in TW3 walking in the woods, in a beach, in a city or in a mountain is exactly the same, the are no difference to the terrain. DS on the other hand has that.... at least in my opinion.

And it's not a revert, it's an improvement. Things to improve.

See AC Odyssey, is almost a carbon copy of TW3 style, it's a fine game. But that's it, no one cares about it... it's a huge Ubisoft checklist game with TW3 inspiration.

I believe that CD Projekt knows that, so I am not worried about it. They know that they cannot ship a new game with the same mechanics of a 2015 game....
The Witcher 3 was definitely not a "Ubisoft checklist game" though. That was why it got so much praise. But like you say, I'm fairly certain CDPR will be ahead of gaming trends if they ever make a new Witcher game.

Aion002

The Witcher 3 was definitely not a "Ubisoft checklist game" though. That was why it got so much praise. But like you say, I'm fairly certain CDPR will be ahead of gaming trends if they ever make a new Witcher game.

Not a full one but It has some of it.... TW2 was way more focused. And a couple of people asks for more checklists.... so please... no Ubi Checklist on TW gmes.... or any game at all.... not even on Ubi games... no one needs those.:messenger_anxious:

PanzerAzel

This must be irony ? It already sort of did . "witcher vision" + soft lock combat with executions

I just woke up (??)
Thinking more of game feel. Witcher games always felt clunky and've aged poorly in how they play. Arkham games feel, for lack of a better word, "organic". Almost Mario-ish. Also in terms of combat, the counter. I know many hate the countering in Arkham and consider it lazy, yeah.....I like it, it'd make taking on large groups feel better (IMO).

Gargus

Banned
Better combat. It felt needlessly tedious so I had to set the game on super easy so I could just fight with ease and fluidity.

And more weirdness or uniqueness. For the most part witcher 3 felt like a generic fantasy setting to me. Just in my overall traveling and especially side quests it felt like a dozen other fantasy games I'd played. Just a good portion of the game world felt rather bland and generic to me. I mean the core story and quest line was pretty good but a lot of the rest bored me.

Oh and the flying enemy fighting shit, especially while on a boat, and under water enemies in witcher 3 can fuck right off.

Perrott

Gold Member
  • Better quest and encounter design
  • Improved combat mechanics and enemy behavior during battle
  • Character movement and animations
  • Meaningful ways to interact with the world (look at BOTW)

Bogey

Banned
I really can't think of much, especially not of any major things.

Better controls for roach. Slightly more responsive controls for Geralt. Maybe better pacing for the main story (feels like tw3's end was fairly disconnected from anything they happened in the.. 100 hours before).

But frankly speaking, just do the very same thing again with new storylines and updated graphics, and I'll say goodbye to real life once more!

Pallas

Gold Member
I just want more Gwent. If they remake Witcher 1-2 then please add Gwent to it. I didn’t mind the combat, if they improve it, cool but if not I’ll live.

Also, this may sound strange but I would love to have a Witcher tactics game that fleshes out some of the lore and back stories of the series, similar how the side story of Thronebreaker did with Gwent.

Siri

Banned
Combat sucked and lack of character customization - just let me create my own character. I detested Geralt.

SleepDoctor

Banned
I think it does checkerboard 4K and has hdr now on pro. I expect One X to perform better than that. I was just playing it this morning. Looks great.

Thanks. Ive been considering playing through it again. I beat it on my Ps4 but was considering getting it for the X if it supported 4k

Labadal

Learn from your expansions. They were both better than the main game. Take a look at combat and tweak it. Less Ubisoft design world.

Thanks. Ive been considering playing through it again. I beat it on my Ps4 but was considering getting it for the X if it supported 4k

Most of the time, by the sounds of it. X1X is where I finally beat Witcher 3 and it definitely is awesome. 4k + HDR.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-witcher-3-xbox-one-x-analysis (links to DF video)

Kadayi

Banned
I think mainly I'd have liked to seen bigger city environments. Novigrad was pretty impressive, but the other City was a large town in comparison. Also one aspect I didn't like about TW3 was the absence of environmental changes as time progressed. For all the aspects of say Geralt's beard growing there was no change to the environments in terms of the military encampments etc even after certain events, which didn't make a heap of sense.

Also, fuck the stuff like the lame Tarantino references. Have some confidence in your own storytelling ability Devs versus the need for 'I get that reference' call-outs as crutch to lean upon. Whilst I understand that it might seem 'cool' at the time, it just breaks any sense of immersion for me personally, and was pure eyeroll.

Last edited:
Top Bottom