• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Microsoft potentially going third-party, what will Nintendo do in response?

BlackTron

I'm not sure.

Imagine a portable PS5 that plays every game in your PS library? That would sell insane numbers.
It would need to be pretty pricey to guarantee compatibility with all PS5 games in a handheld. High enough that I suspect most people would balk and go for a Switch 2 first...

CosmicComet

They'll continue doing what they do best.

Make the best rated and best selling 1st party IP on the planet and continue selling the most hardware out of anyone.

The Switch came out 3 years after the PS4 and still easily outsold it. The PS4 stalled out and the Switch is closer to the PS2 total sales at this point (and continuing to edge closer) than the PS4 is to it.

I expect the Switch 2 to do the same.

Last edited:

ElRenoRaven

Nintendo is gonna Nintendo. They just do their own thing anymore. They'll a fine like always and continue doing their thing. Anyone worried otherwise needs to relax.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
They'll do what's best for their business (and their fans). Same as Sony.

And same as Microsoft is trying to do.

These companies aren't planning multi-year strategies out around each other as much as some folks think.

That's basically what the "Vita 2" rumors are; a portable PS4/PS5 (more likely PS4 or PS4 Pro in terms of raw specs).

Probably with combination of some opt-in for devs to scale games to run natively on it if they want, cloud stream & Remote Play non-native games, and maybe even some "secret sauce" to auto-scale games down to run well on the platform without needing devs to do it themselves (this would be big).

It would need to be pretty pricey to guarantee compatibility with all PS5 games in a handheld. High enough that I suspect most people would balk and go for a Switch 2 first...

Holy shit!

If those rumours are true I'd be all over a handheld that could play my PS library.

I know it'd be expensive like the Steam Deck, but I'd be there day one. For me it's about the games and I'm not really a Nintendo fan, so I don't really care about the Switch 2.

Please let this be true 🙏

TwiztidElf

“Steve Ballmer made us go meet with Nintendo to see if they would consider being acquired”, Bachus recalls.
“They just laughed their asses off. Like, imagine an hour of somebody just laughing at you. That was kind of how that meeting went.”

BlackTron

Holy shit!

If those rumours are true I'd be all over a handheld that could play my PS library.

I know it'd be expensive like the Steam Deck, but I'd be there day one. For me it's about the games and I'm not really a Nintendo fan, so I don't really care about the Switch 2.

Please let this be true 🙏

More expensive than Steam Deck. Steam Deck is about 1.5 TFs. IIRC, PS5 is 10-12TFs. The Asus ROG Ally handheld has 8TF and its MSRP is $700. The $399 version is only 3TF. Expect Switch 2 to be in that range. Like $3-400 for 2-3TF.

Sure, they are in spitting range of a "dual profile" system like Switch where every game gets optimized for two hardware profiles, but they didn't set this up at the beginning, and all the games were already made from the ground up with one spec in mind.

Maybe a Steam Deck can play Forza because you can adjust the resolution and graphics settings yourself in the PC version. Not the same as making basically a Sega Nomad for PS5 that just plays all your console games. Edit: Keep in mind any Xbox game was made to run on Series S from the beginning. Didn't happen with uh TLOU2 or Spiderman2

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
wtf is going on with these threads.

Xbox going third party. Xbox making a switch like
Will Ferrell Crazy Pills GIF

BlackTron

wtf is going on with these threads.

Xbox going third party. Xbox making a switch like
Will Ferrell Crazy Pills GIF

I think the point is, Xbox isn't making a Switch, but maybe a third party hardware maker wants to. Basically, ROG ally with Xbox logo on it. You could get hardware as varied as licensed accessories, and at all price points, depending on how they want to play this.

Real response: Nintendo will want to rally their support for their platforms. They already have history with them, thanks to Rareware, and nostalgia plays a huge role for Nintendo in building an audience for any platform they release. Banjo and Perfect Dark's return to a Nintendo machine will create headlines. A new Donkey Kong game from third party studio, Rareware (though they are a shell of their former selves), would spark headlines. Master Chief in Smash would have more exec support, as they won't be propping up a competitor's machine for that inclusion (Minecraft is already on Switch and the Japanese audience for Minecraft are playing on Switch/PC).

Microsoft game's are largely engaged from an American audience. The USA is the world's biggest game consumer, and the only big pie Microsoft really caught on with. There will be a Nintendo response. Maybe not so much in how they develop their hardware, but I would anticipate even more marketing collaborations, cross promotions, and the like.

Top Bottom