• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With only a few bangers left to be released, how would you rate 2022 for gaming?

What would you rate 2022 for video game greatness?

• A - Great

Votes: 69 21.1%
  • B - Good

Votes: 83 25.4%
  • C - Average

Votes: 77 23.5%
  • D - Below average

Votes: 52 15.9%
  • E - Poor

Votes: 28 8.6%
  • X - Worst year in a very long time

Votes: 18 5.5%

• Total voters
Pretty mediocre I've found, even Switch and most indies have struggled to keep my attention for long. My biggest playtimes are Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Dysmantle, and PowerWash Simulator, so I'd say those are in my top three of the year so far. EDIT: I almost forgot about Infernax, that game kicks ass. Play Infernax, people!

Really enjoying Plague Tale 2 and of course a big heavy hitter still left to come (God of War) and a few smaller franchise games I'm interested in but probably won't be all timers (Sonic, Dragon Quest Treasures). Overall, not a super memorable one for me. Played quite a bit of Rocket League again through a pretty dry summer for releases.

Next year shaping up to be a doozy though. Zelda, FFXVI, Sea of Stars, Spider-Man 2, Silksong, maybe Haunted Chocolatier...

Last edited:

Laptop1991

For me, the bottom choice, i haven't bought a single game, i would of paid for Saint's Row and the GTA Def edition's but not in the state they are in, and i would of purchased Starfield of course but it got delayed until next year, at least last year i got Cyberpunk which is almost completely fixed lol.

i will admit if God of War Ragnarok didn’t hit this year it would have really lowered my overall score by at least two points. We needed something that at least could dents elden rings sweep of award season. Otherwise it would have been…

all-that-for-a-drop-of-blood.gif

Pejo

Gold Member
Better than the past 2 COVID years, but an average year in general. Only Elden Ring and probably GoW:R stand out in my personal memory, but there were a lot of releases.

You can view the games released this year by month, about 1/5th of the way down the page.

Gambit2483

As A Switch/PS5 player it's been Great

Horizon Forbidden West
Elden Ring
Live A Live
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
TMNT Shredders Revenge (and cowabunga collection)
Nier Automata End of the YoRHa
Persona 5 Royal
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
Bayonetta 3
(Hopefully Sonic Frontier)

GOW Ragnarok
and Pokemon Violet/Scarlett

Like I said, this was a great year if you play on Switch or PS5.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It’s been a very solid year, but unfortunately the shadow of “what could have been” looms over most people’s minds and some people just won’t admit a year in video gaming can be great even without that many AAA releases.

Whoever votes anything less than a B clearly doesn’t have a Switch, and/or has completely unrealistic expectations.

Only good new game is Elden Ring but even that was somewhat disappointed me. I mean, I played it right through to the end and it took me 120 or so hours but it was too bloody easy. If I replay it I'll need to change how I play so I can get some challenge.

Persona 5 Royal on Switch/PC is a positive of this year.

There are still a couple games I want to play that came out this year but I'm in no rush to play them.

As for upcoming games, the only game I'm buying is Pokémon Violet.

It's been a disappointing year mostly. Horizon Forbidden West is probably the biggest letdown. God I was so fucking excited for that game and I ended up hating it.

Bartski

Gold Member
Elden Ring alone made it pretty great already and we're just about to get Ragnarok followed by Callisto Protocol.

Plenty of weird and original games of indie/AA caliber I really liked via Game Pass and the PS+. Some cool DLCs. TLOU Part 1.

Some stuff I was looking forward to turned out not as good as I hoped but who cares.

Also a friendly reminder - Sifu is the best kung fu brawler game ever made, an absolute gem.

Gambit2483

What is it with this gaming forum where half of the user are either completely unenthusiastic about 90% of what's released and only somewhat enthusiastic about the other 10%?

*unless it's the newest Sony/MS AAA Blockbuster, and even then it's iffy.

I swear people here like to talk about videogames more than they do actually playing them.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Below average. The only game I've been interested in enough to buy at full price at release all year is Elden Ring. Which was very good, but yeah. GOWR will hopefully be great too, so that will make two.

But I've been very busy anyway, what with the best deal in gaming and all. Thanks to that I played Returnal this year, which is the best game I've played all generation and probably the best shooter I've EVER played.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What is it with this gaming forum where half of the user are either completely unenthusiastic about 90% of what's released and only somewhat enthusiastic about the other 10%?

*unless it's the newest Sony/MS AAA Blockbuster, and even then it's iffy.

I swear people here like to talk about videogames more than they do actually playing them.
You are not wrong, it feel like majority of GAF just lost interest in gaming and more interested in tech or controversy behind games more than actual playing them.

Roufianos

Quite a few stellar releases, especially Elden Ring, but the period between GT7 and TLoU Part I has to be the worst spell in memory.

Alan Wake

Stray, Sonic Origins, A Plague Tale: Requiem and a few more. God of War and Sonic Frontiers incoming. Decent year. But lots of delays, so for me mainly another backlog year. Which is fine.

MiguelItUp

I'd say it's a B, but almost a C. There were some fine games that I've played this year, but I don't think anything struck me to my core. I almost have to think really hard about what games I've played this year and loved, and I think that's pretty telling. All I can think of is Elden Ring, lmao. Which was phenomenal, but I wish there were more.

I wanted this year to be more than that, just like I wanted the year before that to be that, the year before that as well.

I can't help but assume next year will be stacked with great titles. I hope it is.

Last edited:

mxbison

Average at best.

Great games:
Elden Ring

Good games:
Horizon FW
Psychonauts 2
TMNT Shredder's Revenge
Across the Obelisk

Have yet to play Plague Tale Requiem, Triangle Strategy, Mario + Rabbids 2, but I doubt any of those will blow me away. Will probably also land on the "good" list.
Only game that looks like it could join Elden Ring is God of War: Ragnarok.

Ovek

7Member7
A year of sequels, remasters, old PlayStation games being released on PC and one or two “new” games that are pretending to be new but are just remasters of games they don’t have the license for… cough… callisto protocol… cough. Only a few standouts like Tunic have stopped this year from being absolutely fucking dire.

Metnut

Great year. Any year with Elden Ring, Horizon Forbidden West and Cyberpunk finally coming out of early access is a home run. Add in God of War, which looks to be a GOTY candidate itself, and that’s enough time to fill my whole year and some of 2023.

Feel bad for people without a PS, but they’ll get a chance at these games in 2025 or so.

Average at best.

Great games:
Elden Ring

Good games:
Horizon FW
Psychonauts 2
TMNT Shredder's Revenge
Across the Obelisk

Have yet to play Plague Tale Requiem, Triangle Strategy, Mario + Rabbids 2, but I doubt any of those will blow me away. Will probably also land on the "good" list.
Only game that looks like it could join Elden Ring is God of War: Ragnarok.
Psychonauts 2 first released last year.

Chastten

Banned
Hmm, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Triangle Strategy, Fire Emblem Warriors, Klonoa, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Turtles and Diofield Chronicles make this an easy B.

If Bayonetta 3, Harvestella, Tactics Ogre and maybe even Pokémon turn out good it'll be a nice A.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Can't go lower than A, and if you think otherwise then...

Jodie Whittaker O GIF by Doctor Who
This. Sifu alone made this year good for me and then there's really good games like Horizon Forbidden West, GT7, The Quarry, Elden Ring, A Plague Tale Requiem, Sword and Fairy

Upcoming: GoW Ragnarok, Callisto Protocol, Star Ocean

Then the indies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Anno Mutationem, Tunic, Stray

This year has been freaking awesome

Last edited:

slade

I gave the year so far a B even though I have only really played three games all year and only the opening portion of two of them.

That one game, Elden Ring, was just that good though. Not since Metroid Prime on Gamecube have I been so engrossed. It had the unfortunate effect of killing my enthusiasm for any other game. Hype levels are slowly coming back for God of War though.

Godot25

Banned
Very poor I would say.
2021 was also not very good, but I think that this year we got to experience worst effect of COVID fucking up game development world.
Basically all great games that came out this year were delayed games from 2021 (HFW, GT7, Elden Ring etc.) and many that I was looking forward to (Hogwarts Legacy, Starfield, Avatar, Redfall, Replaced, Stalker 2, new Zelda, Atomic Hearts etc.) were delayed to 2023.
But on the other hand, 2023 is looking literally insane rn.
Final Fantasy XVI, Starfield, Redfall, Forza Motorsport, Spider-Man 2, Resident Evil 4 Remake, Dead Space Remake, Hogwarts Legacy, Company of heroes 3, Stalker 2 (maybe?), New Zelda, Atomic Hearts, Replaced, Sommerville, Alan Wake 2, Avatar, Wo Long, Diablo IV, Lies of P, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, Street Fighter 6 and probably few unannounced games.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Elden Ring
Pokemon Legends Arceus
Cyberpunk (PS5/XSX Versions)
Horizon Forbidden West
Xenoblade 3

So far this year was pretty good. There haven been better years for me, but i cant complain.

Unless you're a 1 dimensional gamer who only plays a specific genre(s) or become such a cynic that everything is "shit" it's objectively been a fantastic year.

Elden Ring, Horizon, GT7, Ghostwire, Tunic, Inscryption, Cult of the Lamb, Cyberpunk PS5, Prodeus, Dying Light 2, Diofield and Wonderlands were some of my favourites of 2022. Ragnarok and Tactics Ogre right around the corner, Evil West, Crysis Core and Callisto to close out the year, can't really complain.

Last edited:
As a RPG fan, it's been trash, also Path of Exile had a terrible year too, so i didn't play much, which is fine so i won't get overloaded too quickly in 2023 when Starfield, Diablo 4, Baldur's Gate etc release. These will demand tons of hours

Great. I'm close to finishing 40 games this year and there are still plenty of exciting releases in the next 4-6 weeks.

I've already preordered GOW Ragnarok, Pentiment and Callisto Protocol. I think I'm also getting Bayonetta 3, Tactics Ogre Reborn, Devil in Me, Midnight Suns, or at the very least two of those.

Now I just need to find time to play them all.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
D for me.

The equivalent year last time saw the release of TW3, bloodborne, mgs5, Undertale.

I have nothing else to say, except some gaffers here seem to have really fucking low standards
Yep!

Really there are too many sequels, ports and spin offs.

The only great games this year that were original IP's (for me) were: Triangle Strategy, Neon White, Stray...............all the rest were sequels: Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Mario and Rabbids :SOH, Pathfinder: WOTR

ARK1391

Overall a really fun year of games. Starting with Legends Arceus, Horizon 2 and Elden Ring. Then Stray and Xenoblade 3 which were fantastic!

Also enjoyed Mario Strikers quite a bit with a friend of mine. Wish it was more fleshed out but, we had a good time. Then the newest Cyberpunk patch has gotten me back into that, and I'm really enjoying it!

Plus Splatoon 3 which is great and has a ton of features. And it all ends with GoW:R, Pokémon Scarlet/Violet and the Callisto Protocol!!

Meanwhile I haven't even had a chance to pick up Cult of the Lamb, Tunic or TMNT Shredders Revenge.

I mean what more could you ask for in a year? Especially with COVID still backing up the release pipeline.

Lupin25

Good… But shot its load too early and took too long to get it back up. Delays also made Q3 look barren.

HFW
Elden Ring
GT7
Stray
TUNIC
God of War Ragnarök
Sonic Frontiers (if its good)
Callisto Protocol (if it’s good)

Would be the only standouts this year for me.

Daymos

Pretty much as good as it gets. I really loved Elden Ring and Xenoblade3, gran Turismo 7 is surprisingly great, and triangle strategy + trails from zero rounded things out nicely for me.

I also have horizon2, there's God of war coming, and hey.. some people will love pokemon and dragon quest treasures.

Overall, no complaints here.

Griffon

In terms of big games, we had Elden Ring and then... I don't really remember...

I mostly played games from previous years.

Flutta

Banned
So so year tbh. Nothing stands out really except for ER. I had to play Sekiro again after HFW left a bad taste in my mouth.

GOWR can’t come soon enough!

Top Bottom