• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the DSi Shop shutting down, what are the best games I should pick up?

Peltz

I know these games will be available on the 3DS but they just don't scale well on the 3DS screens. I want to play them in native resolution on the original DSi XL hardware where they look best.

So, what are the games I need to pick up before the service shuts down?

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/XGEfEBHAg9SN7BGTyAWrVQKt_3lR4Laj

In early 2017 we plan to close the Nintendo DSi Shop, which has been available on the Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL systems since 2009. We sincerely thank our loyal customers for supporting the Nintendo DSi Shop, and wish to ensure they can continue to enjoy Nintendo DSiWare.

If you have Nintendo DSi Points to spend, Nintendo DSiWare you want to re-download or Nintendo DSiWare you’d like to transfer from a Nintendo DSi/Nintendo DSi XL system to a Nintendo 3DS family system, you may want to do so at your earliest convenience, while the service is still available.

You can still add Nintendo DSi Points until September 30, 2016, and purchase content in the Nintendo DSi Shop until March 31, 2017. The ability to re-download Nintendo DSiWare games will also stop at some point; we will announce specific details as that time approaches.

For those who are interested, I will keep a running list of games I've enjoyed and that others recommend in the thread:

Shantae Risky's Revenge
Mighty Milky Way
Mighty Flip Champs
Dark Void Zero
Metal Torrent
Cave Story
Art Style Series (all of them)
Go! Go! Kokopolo
Aura-Aura Climber
Dark Void Zero
Mario vs. DK: Minis March Again
AlphaBounce
Zelda: 4 Swords Anniversary (a free game that has been delisted, then occasionally relisted on a promotional basis - keep an eye out for it)
Brain Age Express: Arts and Letters
Brain Age Express: Math
Link 'n' Launch
Looksley's Lineup
Flipnote Studio
Starship Defense
Dodo Go! and Dodo Go! Robo
Pop Island and Pop Island: Paperfield
Spotto
Maestro! Green Groove
GG: Ninja Karakuri Den
Thorium Wars
Reflect Missile
3D Space Tank
Starship Patrol
A Kappa's Trail

(more to come)

Edit:

Thanks guys.
But the DSi games should still be available for 3DS too right.
Just in case I miss a few.

Correct, most of them will be there. This thread is more for those of us who are preservationists or very into playing games with perfect image quality on original hardware (you guys know who you are).

Pour one out for one of the cutest download screens ever:

12891607_10101341642853870_6405869614935486665_o.jpg

12957587_10101341642634310_2766013102299383815_o.jpg

Shantae: Risky's Revenge doesn't scale well in terms of sprite art, so there's that option.
And, uh... pretty much every WayForward game, actually.

I know these games will be available on the 3DS but they just don't scale well on the 3DS screens.

Do you know about START trick? Press and hold START on DS/DSiWare game launch to display it in its native resolution. Works well with regular New 3DS - they look just like on DS and DSi. Although you have to cope with borders, and you like DSi XL's big screens with native resolution...

Peltz

Do you know about START trick? Press and hold START on DS/DSiWare game launch to display it in its native resolution. Works well with regular New 3DS - they look just like on DS and DSi. Although you have to cope with borders, and you like DSi XL's big screens with native resolution...

I do know of that trick, but I'd still rather see the games on my DSi XL. Those large screens do these low res games the most justice without the need for borders.

This way I get the large size of XL screens with perfectly crisp pixels.

ash_ag

No DS game scales well on 3DS resolution, and that's an unsolvable problem. If NX is 2x or 3x DS's res, maybe we're onto something, but for now the best option is to play 1:1 on an XL or, as you say, on an actual DSi unit.

I'm going to suggest Minis March Again. Neat little game with plenty content and very 'pick-up and play'. Also take a look at the Game and Watch back catalogue. WayForward's earlier games are a bit hit-or-miss in my experience, but they might be worth looking into.

Dark Void Zero is a really fun little Metroid-like game. At release a lot of people said it was better than the console Dark Void.

Oh! Oh! Also I have to recommend AlphaBounce! It's a brick breaking game like Arkanoid, but each level is a square in outer space that you're traveling through, and you unlock new things to help you get through levels faster and travel around more efficiently by completing all the levels on a planet's surface...hard to explain but it's almost like an Arkanoid RPG in a few ways.

Thanks guys.
But the DSi games should still be available for 3DS too right.
Just in case I miss a few.

The vast majority of them. I don't think you'll miss a bunch of sudokus and DSi browser...

To OP: Aura-Aura Climber is short and rather simplistic, but it's a fun and rather addictive game nonetheless. Also, it's sad Petit Computer got delisted...

MLH

Games I picked up on DSi are
Metal Torrent - a fun scrolling shooter by Nintendo.
Shantae: Risky's Revenge, Mighty Milky Way, Mighty Flip Champs & Dark Void Zero
They're all very good games, everything by wayforward is worth buying. It's a shame only Shantae was ported to other systems the Mighty series are great.

Was Dragon Quest Wars by Intelligent Systems any good/ worth picking up?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Games I picked up on DSi are
Metal Torrent - a fun scrolling shooter by Nintendo.
Shantae: Risky's Revenge, Mighty Milky Way, Mighty Flip Champs & Dark Void Zero
They're all very good games, everything by wayforward is worth buying. It's a shame only Shantae was ported to other systems the Mighty series are great.

Mighty Flip Champs was also released as a Playstation Mini title, available for PSP and PS3 (IIRC).

Regiruler

Bird and Beans is a fun, inexpensive port of a score attack minigame from the first warioware. Really fun.

I would not recommend alphabounce though. That game is abysmal if you try to do any sort of exploring whatsoever. Shit tons of filler, some upgrades are literally broken or don't do anything despite their description, and your not told where the planets are, so you have to blindly go through space to find them.

Khaz

Have these games been archived on the Internet, and will future generations be able to play them on original hardware?

Can you add prices to the OP if it's not too hard?

No, it's pretty awful. It's really limited (small boards) and was clearly intended for multiplayer but the online shut down a while ago.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
  • Dodo Go! and Dodo Go! Robo
  • Pop Island and Pop Island: Paperfield
  • Spotto
  • Maestro! Green Groove
  • GG: Ninja Karakuri Den

Glowsquid

I faintly remember reading a review of a neat-looking DSi vehicle combat/flight game which I thought had a name like "Stronium Troopers", but I'm completely unable to find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about (It's not X-cape)?

edit: found it, it's Thorium Wars.

Joqu

I really do hope they'll put up Four Swords Anniversary again, I might be wrong on this but I think it it has ever been relisted in Europe?

jholmes

For what it's worth I played Dark Void Zero on PC and found it absolutely wretched. I don't get why people keep talking it up.

I think Kappa's Trail is neat and if you're an EarthBound superfan you don't want to miss out on it.

Madao

i need to dig up my DSi and transfer to 3DS the games i still haven't moved. mostly because they'll probably work in the NX portable too and you never know when the old machines are gonna kick the bucket.

hutna

Though maligned in this thread I, for one, enjoyed the DQ game. I'm a big fan of the monsters in DQ so YMMV.

Top Bottom