• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the Fifa licence up for grabs.... who's got the money to pay for it (1 billion)?

FStubbs

I think MS can an will do it. They know this a foothold to the Euro market. They did the same with Minecraft and Bethesda and say they still have major acquisitions ahead.
Europeans: "Remember when we had football video games?" "Yeah, it's a shame they don't make them anymore."

They are no longer affiliated with EA sports? That's the perfect company to host the game. What happened? I think I may have missed out on some of their issues. It'll be weird to see them under a different game provider.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I think MS can an will do it. They know this a foothold to the Euro market. They did the same with Minecraft and Bethesda and say they still have major acquisitions ahead.
I don’t think Microsoft will do it unless they agree to multi platform. Not aware of what it says in the licence obligations but fifa will want little boys and girls all over the world to play it’s football game on various platforms. If it’s restricted to just Xbox and PC then that might be the deal breaker.

Kagey K

Banned
Hopefully companies let it stagnate. Some of these licensing deals have got out of hand, and companies need to realize they aren't worth what they think they are.

Moneal

No one. It's worth very little without the players, clubs, and leagues. Just getting the Fifa logo and the world cup are barely worth 10% of that due to the world cup only being every four years. Unless Fifa can guarantee the rest of the licenses, I don't see them getting anyone to even do a non exclusive deal. Making a sports game takes a bunch of upfront money and work.

TheAssist

I guess some people forget you actually have to develop a football game along side it as well. Preferably one that doesnt suck for years before it becomes even remotely playable. There is not a lot of studios out there with the expertise to make a football game on short notice (and you have to pay for the license during the development as well).

Currently I dont see anyone obvious. Its probably going back to EA, but not for that amount of money. Maybe 30 to 50% more of they are paying now, or some sort of adjustment of the deal, like FIFA getting royalties or some such.

SkylineRKR

Just change the name. As long as you have the club and player licenses a football game should be fine. FIFA is pretty much nothing, it has a bad rep also. Once in every four years they temporarily take over a country for a month, world cup isn't worth it to pay top dollar for.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Take Two Interactive is my guess. They have NBA 2K so they could just call it FIFA 2K.

sephiroth7x

If it was all the players/kits/competitions then it would be worth some serious money. It is only the FIFA Brand Name and the World Cup at best. Nobody needs to pay for it at all. To a point I think FIFA themselves have totally misjudged how much its value is. I don't get into a habit of applauding EA, but I do with this one. FIFA are just money grabbing bastards who have finally been dumped.

Shifty1897

Fifa and Tencent makes sense. They're both very friendly with murderous governments and seemingly have no problem with human rights violations.

SSfox

I hope no one pays for the license.

It's about time developers start making good football games without relying on the Fifa license.
This.

Any company that will pay 1 Billion for this is just full retard, I mean just imagine how much lvl of quality you can bring to your games with this money.

winjer

Gold Member
Even for companies with deep pockets, I can't see anyone justify this kind of money for the Fifa license.

The most important license is the license for the footballers and clubs.
People want to see the real football stars with official uniforms and emblems.
The license for the Fifa tournaments is secondary. EA and everyone else might just create some fictional tournaments and make do.

Also consider, that Fifa has such a bad reputation, it would sully any other company involved.
EA, Activision and 2K have so bad public image, they probably won't care all that much.
But Nintendo and Sony might not want to deal with that,

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I don’t think Microsoft will do it unless they agree to multi platform. Not aware of what it says in the licence obligations but fifa will want little boys and girls all over the world to play it’s football game on various platforms. If it’s restricted to just Xbox and PC then that might be the deal breaker.
FIFA doesn't give a fuck about boys and girls, they are old, white men living in Switzerland that want to make money. You want your boy or girl to experience football - here's 100€ for a single ticket, you're welcome.

Kadve

It probably wont' cost a billion. If I recall correctly, the rumor was that FIFA wanted to sell the license to multiple companies. The 1 billion figure is probably if EA wanted an exclusive deal.

"The future of gaming and eSports for football stakeholders must involve more than one party controlling and exploiting all rights"

From their press release so sure sounds like they are tired of having a single company hold the license.

My question though is that if this proves successful for FIFA would companies such as the NBA, NHL or whatever three letter acronym follow suit? Could it be the end of sport games as we have known them for the last 30 years?

Last edited:

jakinov

"The future of gaming and eSports for football stakeholders must involve more than one party controlling and exploiting all rights"

From their press release so sure sounds like they are tired of having a single company hold the license.

My question though is that if this proves successful for FIFA would companies such as the NBA, NHL or whatever three letter acronym follow suit? Could it be the end of sport games as we have known them for the last 30 years?
They've already been doing what FIFA is planning on doing with all the other acronyms. However, a lot of them sstopped making the games. During PS3 days there were 3 NBA franchises. e.g. NBA 08 (by Sony) NBA Live 08 (by EA) and NBA 2k8 (by 2k/T2). For NHL, MLB there used to be 2K versions of them too during the PS3 days but now only EA does NHL and only Sony does MLB.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
So you want them to buy the license, create a studio and then find developers, that made the ps2 era pro evo games 20 years ago, to make a FIFA game? Dial up Phil, sounds like a reasonable plan.
Go and look up the size of that team. It could be put together for chump change (with additional devs obviously because you now need larger teams but those people would be the directors / producers to steer the ship) but yes a new studio making the best football game on the market WITH the FIFA licence indeed does sound like a good plan and with it being on GP aswell as Series S would bring over a massive slice of Playstations's casual userbase. It would also be on PC day one.

Something tells me if Sony did the above but kept it exclusive and charged 70 euros for it you'd have no issues with it...

NickFire

Go and look up the size of that team. It could be put together for chump change (with additional devs obviously because you now need larger teams but those people would be the directors / producers to steer the ship) but yes a new studio making the best football game on the market WITH the FIFA licence indeed does sound like a good plan and with it being on GP aswell as Series S would bring over a massive slice of Playstations's casual userbase. It would also be on PC day one.

Something tells me if Sony did the above but kept it exclusive and charged 70 euros for it you'd have no issues with it...
The issue has nothing to do with console warring. The issue is the absurdity of spending the billion dollars FIFA allegedly wanted for 4 years, when it will take 4 years of dev time to make something worth putting out there. Doesn't matter if MS, Sony, Google or Nintendo buys the license. They still need to actually make a game worth putting the license on. Those things take years and lots and lots of money.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
The issue has nothing to do with console warring. The issue is the absurdity of spending the billion dollars FIFA allegedly wanted for 4 years, when it will take 4 years of dev time to make something worth putting out there. Doesn't matter if MS, Sony, Google or Nintendo buys the license. They still need to actually make a game worth putting the license on. Those things take years and lots and lots of money.
My bad. I didn't know it was for four years only. Thought lifetime rights.

Top Bottom