• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•10-12•17 - Giant gorilla, just like in one of those old video games, king

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logan ended up having to face a bit of a murder's row for a March release. Get Out stayed strong, Kong did better than expected, and Beauty and the Beast drops next week.

kswiston

Logan's drop is higher than I hoped, but it is in line with even Disney super hero films. If it holds well in the come weeks it could still best dofp.

57% is on the better side of average for superhero films. It looks like Logan will end up being #4 of the franchise domestically (after Deadpool, X3, and DOFP). It should end up #3 worldwide.

3N16MA

Banned
Disney has Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, and Disney Animation. All they have to do is pump out a live action film from their animated catalogue once a year and they're golden.

kswiston

Beast: 500M
GotG: 500M
Pirates: 350M
Cars 3: 300M
Spider-Man: 400M
Coco: 300M
Thor 3: 350M
Star Wars: 1B

3.7B

4B isn't happening.

Spider-man is Sony, and years end on Dec 31st.

Even then, everything is too high, but maybe that is your point.

Edit: it was

HowZatOZ

Banned
Wish Lego Batman movie had done better. All in all the top 10 is actually pretty solid money wise and quality wise with a few stinkers in there.
It's not even in Australia yet. Hell John Wick 2 isn't even in Australia yet. And they wonder why we pirate more.

Decado

57% is on the better side of average for superhero films. It looks like Logan will end up being #4 of the franchise domestically (after Deadpool, X3, and DOFP). It should end up #3 worldwide.
I was thinking of comparable openings not in the summer. Huge/holiday openings tend to have bigger 2nd weekend drops.

3N16MA

Banned
I think that $2.5B for Disney this year is a more realistic goal. If everything overperforms, maybe a bit higher.

Beast: 400M
GotG: 400M
Pirates: 200M
Cars 3: 175M
Coco: 175M
Thor 3: 200M
Star Wars 850M

2.4B

Probably lowballing some of those films.

kswiston

Beast: 400M
GotG: 400M
Pirates: 200M
Cars 3: 175M
Coco: 175M
Thor 3: 200M
Star Wars 850M

2.4B

Probably lowballing some of those films.

Star wars won't make $850M by Dec 31st. But this year already has some money from Rogue One and other holdovers.

I'm curious to see if the July placeholder stands. I can't think of any smaller Disney titles entering production in the past few months.

overcast

Under its current ownership. If someone bothered to adapt the source material with some respect and care, it could be a billion dollar franchise.
Logan is better than just about every MCU film in my opinion and at worst is getting terrific impressions across the board. It also represents a fresh take in a stale genre.

I'll take the X-Men franchise mixed results if it means highs like the ones we've had.
Wait, Lego Batman wad a bomba? How did that happen, I thought reviews were good.
Naw, definitely not a bomba. Also good reviews does not necessarily mean nice box office performance.

I think its more likely that Logan is a heavy movie. Lots more repeat business for a comedy like Deadpool then a ringer of a movie like Logan.

Its drop is not as much DOFP's was, anyway. The X-Men film franchise has been successful, but these days the series multiplier in general doesn't seem to go beyond 2.2. It's almost "niche" in a weird way.

Almost everyone says Logan is better than 90% of the Marvel Studios movies to date, easily.

That is a movie with more respect and care for the characters and quality filmmaking in this genre since The Dark Knight. So that argument doesn't really hold up.

And hell, your definition also applies to Deadpool, perfectly.
Logan is the exception to the rule, when it comes to the X-franchise. And Deadpool, imo, is a fluke. It is an average movie that struck a chord.

GhaleonEB

Stupid thing for me to not notice, but I honestly didn't notice it until it was directly pointed out to me in an article about Paramount:

I didn't know Disney had decided a little bit ago to reduce production/distribution yearly specifically to spend more money and focus on each individual release they did push through.

They basically changed their business model to a home run derby awhile ago. Now other studios are starting to wonder if that should be their deal, too, instead of covering the full spectrum of sizes.
Especially interesting to read that on this of all weekends, where the top three are hits with budgets of $185m, $97m and $4.5m.

Jacce

Banned
Disney can afford to do that though

Paramount and Sony can't even GET home runs, and WB's too fucking crazy to even try that shit
Sony had James Bond (for now) and Spider-Man. That's better off than Paramount. Which has Transformers and well nothing else (they keep trying to convince themselves that Star Trek will be a home run).

JDMC13

I'm sort of torn about whether or not I think Logan will have legs. On the one hand, it is a fantastic movie that's getting great word of mouth. On the other, I don't think I'm emotionally capable of seeing it again yet.

Phased

Is there really a lot of hype for beauty and the beast? I haven't seen any ads for it and about the only mentions I've seen are on here when the soundtrack went live.

I'm very likely just tuned out to it, though, but 120m estimate seems bonkers.

riotous

Banned
Is there really a lot of hype for beauty and the beast? I haven't seen any ads for it and about the only mentions I've seen are on here when the soundtrack went live.

It's got buzz on Facebook; every girl on my timeline seems to have pre-ordered tickets. Lots of theaters sold out opening weekend, etc.

kswiston

Presales through Fandango are stronger than Finding Dory and Civil War last year.

Most of my female friends already have plans to go see it. Unlike something say 50 shades it's a movie more likely to have partners brought along as well. There is also the whole nostalgia angle for a lot of people. Even with the average reviews in still pretty excited for it and I think reviews won't impact this movie whatsoever.

All the WM GAFers will be seeing it in Orlando, sources tell me.

Do we got a meetup going for that or something? It's on my bucket list to hit someone from GAF with an uppercut so fingers crossed

It would have been one, but I decided to not make the other of the two obvious jokes.

More convenient timing is all.

And all in jest.

Besides, it may not be lewd. You might just pay for the girlfriend experience.

Damn you both.
Damn you both to the worst place I can possibly think of.

Jumeira

Banned
Logan was one of the best films I've seen in a long time. Should be doing better :( Better than anything I've seen from Marvel Studios, by a longshot.

Is the 3D any good in Kong? Thinking about seeing it tomorrow but the earliest available showing is in IMAX 3D and I don't know if it's worth the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom