• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0722-2416 - DOM Lights dim for Ice Age, the force weakens with Star Trek

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

that's the joke.

bdYE3Yn.jpg
7ueWD5D.jpg
xlY8nUr.jpg
nwqNyxB.jpg
QKjyXai.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
84% Star Trek Beyond
9wcOG.gif
74% The Secret Life of Pets
kavuF.gif
73% Ghostbusters
8vteV.gif
77% Lights Out
5f4ew.gif
13% Ice Age: Collision Course
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
n/a Kabali
CBq5r.gif
65% Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Star Trek Beyond’ Racks Up Solid $59.6 Million, ‘Lights Out’ Scores

“Star Trek Beyond” debuted to a solid $59.6 million this weekend, signaling that after six television series, 13 movies, and 50 years in the pop culture conversation, there’s still life left in one of Hollywood’s most durable franchises.

And there are more intergalactic missions to come. As boon to Trekkies, Paramount took the unusual step of announcing yet another sequel was in the works even before this latest USS Enterprise adventure sailed into theaters. The studio has lined up Chris Hemsworth to reprise his role as Capt. Kirk’s father despite the fact that he was earlier depicted being incinerated in a spaceship disaster. In science-fiction, it seems, death is merely a temporary predicament.

The latest film performed respectably, but its opening is down from the two previous films in the series. “Star Trek Beyond” couldn’t match the $70.2 million launch of 2013’s “Star Trek Into Darkness” nor could it top the $75.2 million bow of 2009’s “Star Trek.” Moreover, with a price tag of $185 million, plus tens of millions in promotional spending, the film needs to perform well overseas if it’s going to make a profit.

That’s not a problem for one of the weekend’s other new releases, Fox’s “Ice Age Collision Course.” The fifth film in the animated series focuses on a group of Paleolithic creatures racked up $21 million from 3,992 locations. That would be a worrisome, even disastrous result for a film that carries a $105 million budget. However, the “Ice Age” films have always been received more warmly overseas than they are stateside. The most recent installment, 2012’s “Continental Drift,” did 81.6% of its $877.2 million global total overseas, while its predecessor, 2009’s “Dawn of the Dinosaur,” picked up 77.8% of its $886.7 million worldwide haul in foreign markets. “Collision Course” has already grossed over $140 million internationally in 60 markets, so even though its domestic results are disappointing, the film could theoretically make money.

In a triumph of profit margins, New Line Cinema’s “Lights Out” racked up $21.6 million in its debut. That’s a healthy return on its $5 million budget. Though its parent studio, Warner Bros., has struggled of late, fielding duds such as “The Legend of Tarzan” and “The Nice Guys,” New Line is enjoying a hot hand at the multiplexes. Earlier this summer, the label scored with the action comedy “Central Intelligence” and the horror sequel “The Conjuring 2.” “Lights Out” centers on a family that is haunted by an evil spirit and was developed by director David F. Sandberg from a 2013 short film.

“Star Trek Beyond” represented a passing of the baton. J.J. Abrams, the director who revitalized the series by arming it with a youthful cast and sprinkling in light flares, departed “Star Trek” to make “Star Wars: The Force Awakens.” That left Justin Lin, who made his bones on the “Fast & Furious” series, manning the Enterprise. He brought back cast members Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, and Karl Urban and mixed in a new villain, played by Idris Elba.

Among holdovers, Illumination Entertainment and Universal’s “The Secret Life of Pets” continues to be one of the year’s biggest hits, adding $29.3 million to its $260.7 million haul.

In its fifth weekend of release, “Independence Day: Resurgence” crawled over the $100 million mark, earning less than $1 million for the weekend. The $165 million production has gotten a little assistance overseas, earning nearly $250 million.

A week after debuting in a handful of theaters, “Hillary’s America” expanded to 1,217 locations, picking up $3.7 million. The controversial documentary alleges that the Democratic Party has covered up its historical support of slavery and racism. It’s the latest work from Dinesh D’Souza, the director of “2016: Obama’s America.”

Woody Allen’s “Cafe Society” also did well in its expansion, moving from five theaters to 50, and picking up $875,000 in the process. The nostalgic look at old Hollywood has earned $1.4 million. Amazon is releasing the film through a distribution partnership with Lionsgate.

Among limited releases, Fox Searchlight debuted “Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie” in 313 theaters where the big screen version of the cult series earned $1.9 million.

The Film Arcade’s “Don’t Think Twice” bowed to $90,126 in a single location, representing the year’s highest per-screen average. Mike Birbiglia (“Sleepwalk With Me”) directs the look at the members of an improv group, as they face career crossroads.

More to come…

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

3N16MA

Banned
Let us have a moment of silence for the Ice Age franchise.

Look for the straight to video sequels in your nearest Walmart bargain bin.

BlazinAm

50 to 58 percent drop is in line with Marvel movies so I'd assume Ghostbusters will inch towards the the higher end of the drop spectrum when it comes to final grosses.

xaosslug

Let us have a moment of silence for the Ice Age franchise.

Look for the straight to video sequels in your nearest Walmart bargain bin.

Ice Age usually performs disappointingly @ domestic BO, but does insanely WW. The International reception is the reason why it's a billion dollar franchise.

Glad to see GB only drop one notch this week.
Drop is bigger than Feig's latest movies.
Bridesmaids
May 13–15 2 $26,247,410 - 2,918 - $8,995 $26,247,410 1
May 20–22 2 $20,882,070 -20.4% 2,937 +19 $7,110 $59,341,310 2

The heat
Jun 28–30 2 $39,115,043 - 3,181 - $12,296 $39,115,043 1
Jul 5–7 3 $24,763,907 -36.7% 3,184 +3 $7,778 $86,259,195 2

Spy
Jun 5–7 1 $29,085,719 - 3,711 - $7,838 $29,085,719 1
Jun 12–14 2 $15,613,686 -46.3% 3,715 +4 $4,203 $56,550,930 2

Son Of D

Judging by the international totals thus far, it's going to be massively down from its predecessor..

Not surprised. Can only speak from people I've spoken to and what I've seen but there has been very little marketing for this one. I forgot that Ice Age 5 was a thing until I saw bus stop posters last week.

BlazinAm

Drop is bigger than Feig's latest movies.
Bridesmaids

The heat

Spy

Ghostbusters is a different beast than all those other properties. The drop being in line with comic book movies should have been expected. I don't know why people were looking at Feig movies to align performance with.

kswiston

Is that number good or bad for Star Trek?

Mediocre for the new franchise, but not terrible or unexpected. Summer weekdays may compensate some.

Worldwide Updates:

Star Trek Beyond - $90M
The Secret Life of Pets - $324M
Finding Dory - $782M
The Legend of Tarzan - $261M ($27M opening in China)
Ghostbusters - $123M

Sean C

Is that number good or bad for Star Trek?
In line with expectations, and solid. Not exceptional, but given that Into Darkness kind of soured a lot of people's view of the reboot, it was expected to drop a bit.

"Kiss your ice goodbye" turned out to be a fitting tagline for Ice Age 5.

Akiraptor

Good weekend for Star Trek, considering the horrible marketing and lack of a significant hook to draw non-Trekkies to the theaters.

kswiston

It's not a good drop.

While this was in production, I thought $200M domestic was a reasonably optimistic expectation for a new Ghostbusters. This is going to just clear 110 or so.

It won't do that poorly. Ghostbusters is $5M ahead of Tarzan after a similar sized second weekend. Tarzan is heading for $130M domestic or so. Even if Ghostbusters starts to fall behind in that comparison, it will break the $125M barrier.

$150M does look dead at this point though. Also, a neck to neck race with Tarzan isn't exactly what anyone expected going into the summer.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
In line with expectations, and solid. Not exceptional, but given that Into Darkness kind of soured a lot of people's view of the reboot, it was expected to drop a bit.

"Kiss your ice goodbye" turned out to be a fitting tagline for Ice Age 5.
I'm not exactly sure how you could pin this on STID for the drop. I'd mainly blame it on the odd marketing scheme for this film

Ridley327

How did Dinesh Dsouza get away with releasing another propaganda film during an election year?

It's his bread and butter. I think the term of his house arrest is over by now, but it's not like the films he makes really requires him to be away from a computer with Photoshop that often.

Biff

I dunno why y'all are sugar-coating this:

Ghostbusters is a straight bomb.

Massive marketing campaign should easily double its production budget. This is a $300M movie that will struggle to pull in even $200M world-wide when all is said and done.

For a beloved franchise in the peak of nostalgia-reboot Hollywood, this is a disastrous performance. Paul Feig can make all the witty comments he wants; the basement-dwelling nerd won this one.

I'm not exactly sure how you could pin this on STID for the drop. I'd mainly blame it on the odd marketing scheme for this film

And lol it dropped like 3 mil from Into Darkness, and it'll pick that up easy. Beyond will probably be the highest grossing Trek movie when we're all done here

Come on lights out....you couldn't spend 1 million more to get up to an even 5 mill.

you're triggering me

Get hit with dat Hollywood math attack

Massive marketing campaign should easily double its production budget. This is a $300M movie that will struggle to pull in even $200M world-wide when all is said and done.

For a beloved franchise in the peak of nostalgia-reboot Hollywood, this is a disastrous performance. Paul Feig can make all the witty comments he wants; the basement-dwelling nerd won this one.

Movie is likely to at least make its money back WW still, bomb would require it to lose money.

It's the underdog effect, except that the underdog got backed by a massive corporation and got a huge budget.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Everything is down from Into The Darkness' opening overseas for Star Trek Beyond.

China will have to pick up the slack.

It won't be a bomb as WW will help get the budget back and a bit more but yeah, it's definitely well below what they were hoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom