• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•15-17•17 - Assassin and mother! clowned, lack "IT" factor

kswiston

Seems like Kingsman is starting with a solid 3.4 million on Thurs

There aren't many proper September comparisons for Kingsman, but it should at least manage a gross similar to the first film off of that, even if the weekend is frontloaded.

IT also passed The Exorcist to become the highest grossing horror film of all time.

Doesn't Jaws count as horror?
It's one of the most influential movies in the entire horror genre (Alien was pitched as "Jaws in space") and set the template for killer animal/monster movies and other subgenres, but I'd classify Jaws as more of a thriller

kswiston

Deadline is saying $17.5M for Kingsman 2 on Friday based on early numbers.

They have Ninjago at $8.3M and IT at $9M.

Friend Request is trending towards an $800k opening day.

Slayven

It's one of the most influential movies in the entire horror genre (Alien was pitched as "Jaws in space") and set the template for killer animal/monster movies and other subgenres, but I'd classify Jaws as more of a thriller

Did Spielberg do a press release talking about his concern over Cameron copying him?

(Current gaming news joke)

So that's the second film in a row that I've seen to both star Channing Tatum and feature
"Take Me Home, Country Roads"
in a major thematic beat.

Weird stuff.

GhaleonEB

Yeah, it juggles a few genres, but the horror elements are really strong. Quint's death literally scarred my psyche since I was a kid. It's the reason I haven't watched it in 20 years.

So that's the second film in a row that I've seen to both star Channing Tatum and feature
"Take Me Home, Country Roads"
in a major thematic beat.

Weird stuff.

I really hated the idea behind that scene in the movie, but good lord if Mark Strong doesn't sell the crap out of everything he does. Dude even made an effort in Green Lantern. Green Lantern!

I really hated the idea behind that scene in the movie, but good lord if Mark Strong doesn't sell the crap out of everything he does. Dude even made an effort in Green Lantern. Green Lantern!

Yeah, they really (Kingsman spoilers)
did his character dirty there, but in the same breath, I would probably list that scene as one of my favorites of the film overall.

Better than some sappy child pageantry, to be sure.

Updated Friday numbers from Deadline:

Kingsman: $15.7M
Lego Ninjago: $6.2M
Friend Request: $0.654M

I think these Lego spinoffs might be done. And Friend Request will easily set the record for worst opening in 2,500+ theaters.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Updated Friday numbers from Deadline:

Kingsman: $15.7M
Lego Ninjago: $6.2M
Friend Request: $0.654M

I think these Lego spinoffs might be done. And Friend Request will easily set the record for worst opening in 2,500+ theaters.

Y'all should see Friend Request.

Is The Room of bad horror films.

Kingsman should have learned to treat its female cast members a little better.

Still a fun, stupid movie, but fuck's sake Vaughn, you don't have to be that goddamn mean to everybody with two X chromosomes.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Kingsman should have learned to treat its female cast members a little better.

Still a fun, stupid movie, but fuck's sake Vaughn, you don't have to be that goddamn mean to everybody with two X chromosomes.
That's what you get with Mark Millar.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates

1) Kingsman: The Golden Circle - $15.3M
2) IT - $9.1M (-53%) - $245M total
3) The LEGO Ninjago Movie - $5.8M
4) American Assassin - $1.9M (-68%) - $22M
5) Home Again - $1.1M (-36%) - $20M
6) mother! - $1.0M (-67%) - $11M total
7) Friend Request - $750k
8) Stronger - $520k
9) The Hitman's Bodyguard - $520k - $72M total
10) Brad's Status - $315k

Spider-Man Homecoming will probably end up at #11 this weekend, finally ending its run in the top 10.

Friday Studio Estimates

8) Stronger - $520k

Spider-Man Homecoming will probably end up at #11 this weekend, finally ending its run in the top 10.

Bomba!

Slayven

Friday Studio Estimates

8) Stronger - $520k

That parker luck.

So we're looking at a sub-50% drop for IT? Nice! The movie was great, I went to see it last week and I realized how much I missed that kind of vibe in a movie. Totally deserves this performance.

kswiston

Boxoffice.com has their first long range prediction up for Justice League

$150M opening weekend, $330M domestic

Seems like they are basically expecting BvS' run.

EDIT: Also, while IT is still doing really well, this third weekend doesn't strike me as strong enough to give the film a shot at Jesus' R-rated crown.

kswiston

Wow, Friend Request tanked. They didn't plan for IT to be doing so well in week 3. Movie looked comically bad to boot.

I doubt that we will see any other wide release horror films releasing in IT 2's launch month.

It also came out in January last year. Similar to that 88 Minutes movie with Al Pacino.

The only English Language film that I can remember releasing months early and Europe, and still making bank in the US, was Taken. People were downloading the film well before the US release.

The only English Language film that I can remember releasing months early and Europe, and still making bank in the US, was Taken. People were downloading the film well before the US release.

At this point, why bother? Taken was a 7 month difference while Friend Request is 18 months. Taken also had the advantage of having a good trailer and being a good movie to boot.

Mato

I read IT when I was a teenager. I saw the film yesterday and thought they did the book justice. It was a fun popcorn flick. Mainstream horror done right. I was feeling very bullish about it's box office prospects and am glad to see it do well. I hope more horror films of its kind come out in the future.

edit - Just had an epiphany. Capcom needs to go 80s with RE8. Take cues from IT on how to do mainstream horror well. #RE80s

berzeli

Banned

EDIT: Also, while IT is still doing really well, this third weekend doesn't strike me as strong enough to give the film a shot at Jesus' R-rated crown.

Way to bury the lede, they think The Star will clear $60m domestic. Like how. It apparently didn't even cost $20m, so if it even comes close to $60m it will be nicely profitable.
But it really shouldn't clear $60m.

AndyVirus

Went to wiki to check the Wolf Warrior/Spider-Man difference as of last weekend (I believe it was 8m at the time, now it's about 3m), saw this

Ulf2NQf.png

how long has this been incorrect lmao

By chance, do you have any stats of the big movie long range forecasts vs actuals for this year? Feel like most of those came in lower than actuals.

Bronx-Man

Banned

Any word on Thor?

kswiston

By chance, do you have any stats of the big movie long range forecasts vs actuals for this year? Feel like most of those came in lower than actuals.

I had a list of that stuff for every big budget live action film released between Mar 2016 to Mar 2017.

I don't have anything more recent though.

That said, this summer did end up with a lot of flops. It wouldn't surprise me if they had a lot of over predictions.

As for comic films, this is what they had for their initial predictions 2 months from release:

Code:
TITLE			OW Predict	OW Actual	Total Predict 	Total Actual
Logan			$81M		$86M		$205M		$226M
GotG vol. 2		$160M		$146M		$400M		$390M
Wonder Woman		$83M		$103M		$225M		$412M
Spider-Man Homecoming	$135M		$117M		$325M		$335M

Other than Wonder Woman's domestic total, most of those were pretty good for being 2 months out.

Is Oct a dump month and i never noticed?

Cause i am looking at the releses like this

original.gif

October's the dump month they don't want you to know about.

Top weekends according to BOMOJO:

1 Gravity
2 The Martian
3 Paranormal Activity 3
4 Jackass 3-D
5 Taken 2
6 Scary Movie 3
7 Shark Tale
8 High School Musical 3: Senior Year
9 Paranormal Activity 2
10 The Grudge

Top Bottom