• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 01•31-02•02•14 - that awkward moment when frozen still rides along

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

46XgkMv.jpg
A56OVcO.jpg
8dlrsvz.jpg
Yyeivk2.jpg
XxYmfuO.jpg

tomatometer:
XsJrh.gif
17% Ride Along
9wcOG.gif
89% Frozen
8mB0Q.gif
22% That Awkward Moment
3Pj0x.gif
12% The Nut Job
0hJB1.gif
73% Lone Survivor
-
aAS8X.gif
32% Labor Day

metacritic:

*click pic(s) for source*

‘Ride Along’ Scores Rare Third Straight Win With $12.3 Mil. Wide new entries -- 'That Awkward Moment,' 'Labor Day' -- fall flat with female filmgoers

Continuing its high-flying ride at the domestic box office, Universal’s stalwart holdover “Ride Along” posted its third straight weekend victory, estimating $12.3 million for a Stateside cume of $93 million and counting.

The Super Bowl weekend’s only two wide releases — Focus Features’ “That Awkward Moment” and Paramount’s “Labor Day,” both of which are targeted squarely at female audiences — underperformed, grossing $9 million and $5.3 million, respectively.

Internationally, Disney had another standout weekend with its toon all-star “Frozen,” which grossed an estimated $24 million from 45 territories, representing approximately 90% of the overseas market place.

So far, the film has collected north of $504 million internationally, with $360 million Stateside (pic’s sing-along re-release contributed $2.2 million out of a total estimated $9.3 million this weekend), making “Frozen” the second-highest grossing original toon of all time globally, behind “Finding Nemo.”

Domestic totals managed to stay in line roughly with this time last year, down just 2%, though first-quarter 2013 box office was especially mopey.

As the clear highlight so far this year, “Ride Along’s” third-straight win at the domestic box office matches what only three films total did last year — “The Butler,” “Gravity” and “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” — none of which bowed during the first quarter.

Speaking of “Gravity,” Warner Bros.’ large-screen re-release of the Oscar-nominated 3D epic earned more than half of its $2 million three-day gross in Imax. “Gravity” has cumed nearly $264 million million domestically in over four months.

Weekend Box Office:

*click pic for full list/source*

Xamdou

Wow moved up to the #2 slot! Frozen all the way!!!

The sing along version coming soon to theaters will extend Frozen's legs even further!

Draconian

Wow. This is an amazing box office run for Frozen. I think I'm gonna wait for it to come out on blu-ray, but I'm happy to see Disney doing well.

kazebyaka

Banned
Today, Frozen became 3rd highest grossing movie of 2013. It's worldwide gross is now $864.4M. That's 360M domestic and $504.4M foreign.
It officially passed such movies as Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug and Hunger Games: Catching Fire.
1 billion total is 99.99% guaranteed.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Wow moved up to the #2 slot! Frozen all the way!!!

The sing along version coming soon to theaters will extend Frozen's legs even further!

The sing along version came out this weekend judging by that article.
Increasing in you 10th weekend is absolutely incredible. Will probably get another little bump when it inevitably wins best animated oscar

Son Of D

What's the US release date for the Frozen Blu Ray? I know it's the 31st of March in the UK, so I'd imagine the US date will be before that. Surprising to see it still doing so well if it's only a month away from DVD/Blu Ray.

What's the US release date for the Frozen Blu Ray? I know it's the 31st of March in the UK, so I'd imagine the US date will be before that. Surprising to see it still doing so well if it's only a month away from DVD/Blu Ray.

March 18th. The 3D version was pulled for whatever reason.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Frozen can't stop, won't stop. Amazing.

Saving Mr. Banks did good, right? Reading across the web, it sounds like it's a good movie, and I'd like to see it one day (here in Italy, it releases this month).

netguy503

Wow. This is an amazing box office run for Frozen. I think I'm gonna wait for it to come out on blu-ray, but I'm happy to see Disney doing well.

You shouldn't. There's no planned 3D version and none of you should buy this movie on blu-ray until this gets a 3D release. This movie needs to be seen this way.

Draconian

You shouldn't. There's no planned 3D version and none of you should buy this movie on blu-ray until this gets a 3D release. This movie needs to be seen this way.

Really? I thought Disney was all over the 3D stuff. Why isn't this getting released in 3D?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
So I guess More Ice cube, Kevin Heart duo movies are a lock at this point.

Ride alone making that paper.

Ride Alone -- what happens when Kevin hart's first day on the job as a police recruit? Lots boring shit you've seen before.

Oh wow...so Frozen is the most successful film by Walt Disney Animation Studios since The Lion King, right?

We may be in the middle of Disney Renaissance 2.0. Tangled, Winnie the Pooh, Wreck-it-Ralph, and Frozen are all fantastic and with Frozen as a massive box-office juggernaut...

I think the lack of a Frozen 3D Blu Ray is because of the delay of The Good Dinosaur. Because there's no summer animated release from Disney (except for Planes 2 ew), they won't have a big home video release to market for the holiday season. They can't delay all releases of Frozen until November (though considering how well it's been grossing so far, they might as well), so Disney is holding back the 3D Blu Ray instead.

netguy503

I think the lack of a Frozen 3D Blu Ray is because of the delay of The Good Dinosaur. Because there's no summer animated release from Disney (except for Planes 2 ew), they won't have a big home video release to market for the holiday season. They can't delay all releases of Frozen until November (though considering how well it's been grossing so far, they might as well), so Disney is holding back the 3D Blu Ray instead.

You think they'll release Frozen in the summer? That's weird.

You think they'll release Frozen in the summer? That's weird.
Huh? Not at all. What I'm saying is Disney has no big animated movie premiering in summer, which therefore means there's nothing to release on home video in November to market for the holidays. Holding the 3D version of Frozen until November changes that.

netguy503

Huh? Not at all. What I'm saying is Disney has no big animated movie premiering in summer, which therefore means there's nothing to release on home video in November to market for the holidays. Holding the 3D version of Frozen until November changes that.

Yeah, that sounds right. This reminds me of the time they held Jim Carrey's The Christmas Carol which came out late November that year until the holiday season the next year to release on home video. But in that move they did not release a version several months before the proper version. Doing two releases like this just seems...greedy and I wish Disney would release a formal announcement if that is there move so you don't get people angry when you do it and running the good positive run Frozen is on. But businesses are greedy I guess.

Anth1888

What's the chances that we will see a Frozen sequel? and are Disney making any other 'traditional' animated films after Big Hero 6, seems like there is still a huge audience for those types of movies outside full CG animation and Disney have Pixar for that.

kazebyaka

Banned
What's the chances that we will see a Frozen sequel? and are Disney making any other 'traditional' animated films after Big Hero 6, seems like there is still a huge audience for those types of movies outside full CG animation and Disney have Pixar for that.
Chance of a sequel is extremely high, Disney's CEO already said that they're interested in Frozen as a franchise with theme park rides, sequel and stuff. They already making WiR sequel, and it's nowhere near as popular as Frozen.
After Big Hero 6 the only traditional-animated one will be Zootopia, i think.

johnsmith

remember me
Chance of a sequel is extremely high, Disney's CEO already said that they're interested in Frozen as a franchise with theme park rides, sequel and stuff.

They should do a crossover movie with Tangled.

jdGqp6d.jpg

Anth1888

Chance of a sequel is extremely high, Disney's CEO already said that they're interested in Frozen as a franchise with theme park rides, sequel and stuff. They already making WiR sequel, and it's nowhere near as popular as Frozen.

Thought that was the case. After watching Wolf of Wall Street a showing of Frozen finished as well and it was packed with children, must still be doing very well in the UK.

Think of the money Disney must be making on merchandise as well. Huge success. Hope it strengthens the use of CGI in partnership with traditional hand-drawn animation.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Big Hero 6 is CG. There are no traditional animated movies known to be in production at Disney. Moana is rumored to possibly employ similar concepts as Paperman, but everything is CG for the next few years.

kazebyaka

Banned
Big Hero 6 is CG. There are no traditional animated movies known to be in production at Disney. Moana is rumored to possibly employ similar concepts as Paperman, but everything is CG for the next few years.
Oh right, just found out that Zootopia is indeed CG too. My bad.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Being Italian, that name for a Disney princess makes me laugh. HARD. :lol

Jesus Christ, I'm glad an animated movie is doing well but not sure how I feel about it being Frozen. I guess the real life princesses and princes love this movie. Hah.

Go Frozen GO !
Go Frozen GO !
Go Frozen GO !
Go Frozen GO !
Go Frozen GO !
Go Frozen GO !

:D sooooo goood ow man can not believe its doing so well for so long.
And no one could have predicted this not even the early believers like us.

pestul

Jesus Christ, I'm glad an animated movie is doing well but not sure how I feel about it being Frozen. I guess the real life princesses and princes love this movie. Hah.
I agree. Even my wife who loves Disney films (loved Tangled) thought Frozen was lackluster and made only for Broadway.

pestul

Vastly superior to Tangled, a genuine breath of fresh air, not just a coat of paint.
True that Tangled was a highly recycled plot for Disney, but I found the songs much more forced in Frozen. I still think Tangled was more spectacular visually as well. We of course all have different tastes. I still liked it as I like most recent quality Disney productions.. but it certainly wasn't 'billion dollar' good.

I want a Frozen sequel so fucking badly. Holy shit. They could recycle the cut story bits into it. I'm talking about exploring the origins of Elsa's powers and The Prophecy. I know Disney is not hot on official canonical sequels, but I am hoping that the power of money will compel them to go forward with it.

PLEASE DISNEY

edit: here's a Forbes article discussing the possibility of a sequel.

edit 2: Variety using the word "toon" to describe Frozen enrages me. So fucking condescending and reductive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom