• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office [OT] 07•30/8•1•10 - Nolan's dream is still alive, Schmucks eat cake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
DMczaf said:
HfDR8.jpg
209g28o.jpg

jett

D-Member
Y2Kev said:
You know, INCEPTION isn't getting the 3D tax, but it IS getting the IMAX tax. Not as widespread, but it's getting a nice bump from that!

Its IMAX gross is just $22 million.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Solo said:
Exactly. Inception is a great idea with a great cast giving great performances, but saddled with paper-thin characters, a ton of clunky exposition, and plot details so blurry that after a 100 page thread at GAF, people still can't agree on what even happened in the movie (and no, I'm not referring to interpretations, but rather simple plot details).

Hence, I want Mr. Nolan to put down the pen. By all means, come up with ideas, but get someone more competent to pen them. His brother is a start.

Agreed.
Inception without the special effects would be your average mediocre 2 star movie.

Solo

FTWer said:
Agreed.
Inception without the special effects would be your average mediocre 2 star movie.

Er, thats not what I myself was saying. Inception is a really good movie, and for reasons other than effects. It just has some major flaws, most of which come from the script. But the movie is amazingly well cast and acted, Pfister shot the hell out of it, and Nolan handles the juggling of multiple dream levels with ease/its editing is quite excellent.

JGS

Banned
I knew I wasn't imagining things. I was going to take the kids to finally see Karate Kid and it flat ut disappeared from theaters after last weekend. Same for Knight & Day (Which I'm glad I got to see).

I guess both are headed for discount theater land but odd since they were still dong business. Lot of movies came out I guess.

Those of you ragging on Cameron's scripting skills are forgetting that Aliens is one of the best sci-fi scripts ever written and is probably one fo the best paced scripts ever written. Bring up the dialogue as cliche all you like, but you're forgetting its only cliche because it has been aped from Aliens in the first place.

I don't pretend that Cameron's writing hasn't been at its best since True Lies - Titanic and AVATAR suffered due to some lazy dialogue and narrative devices. However, the Cameron from Terminator to True Lies could write fucking circles around most.

I actually think these days both Nolan and Cameron have problems mainly in the dialogue department. In terms of pacing and exposition, I still think they do a great job.

Chinner said:
except cameron is good at action scenes

Except I was responding in relation to the writing process. But yes, I suppose his action scenes are written with a much clearer and specific intention than Nolan's scenes. I think Nolan is excellent when it comes to conceiving plot ideas, but needs work at populating those plots. Characterization needs work.

AvidNobody said:
Inception-hallway-Joseph-Gordon-Levitt.jpg

Better than any cameron action scene ever ever ever

Great scene, but you're dreaming.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I can't believe people are dissing Cameron. :lol

GhaleonEB

AvidNobody said:

Right, a guy beating up some incompetent punching bag while the hallway spins once slowly. It was neat, and well shot (a rarity for Nolan), but seriously? No.

Jex

I see this thread has moved from gently from smacking down Walrus to arguing with Solo and then attacking Avatar. A perfect cycle.

Good job with those numbers, Inception.

Oh wait -

Solo said:
a ton of clunky exposition

The fug?

Opinions can't be wrong and all, but that's some Selig level comment.

Chinner said:
i agree, inception redefined movies as we know it. nolan innovated cinema by using cameras and actors.

Before Nolan cinema never understood the beauty of rotation!

But Nolan did steal all his ideas from Wario.....

RevoDS

Sapiens said:
This scene would have been better in 3d. Maybe in Incepti2n, WB will let Nolan have 3D cameras.
Umm, WB wanted it in 3D. It's Nolan who decided to stay in good old 2D.

Prine

Banned
Yeah, lay off Cameron.

I love Nolan, but no, not many can challenge Camerons eye for action. T2 is all that needs to be said.

jett

D-Member
AvidNobody said:

That scene will certainly be more memorable than anything in Avatar, at least. Sorry Sculli but it is da truf.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Jason's Ultimatum said:
I must admit the action scenes on Shadow Moses was pretty meh.

Shadow Moses -good parts:
Sniper moment.
Unique building design.
Infiltrate through ventilation system.
White suits.

Bad parts:
Skiing (a.k.a James Bond )

jett

D-Member
Sapiens said:
Was Nolan worried that he was not ready for 3D? Why did he refuse WB's offer for 3D?

Filming in 3D imposes certain limitations in the types of shots you can do and the lenses you can use. Nolan and his DP don't want none of that shit.

Rocksteady33

Sapiens said:
Was Nolan worried that he was not ready for 3D? Why did he refuse WB's offer for 3D?

"According to Cinematographer Wally Pfister, Warner Brothers executives approached Christopher Nolan about making the film in 3D, but he refused the idea, claiming "it will distract the storytelling experience of Inception". "

Blader

Scullibundo said:
Those of you ragging on Cameron's scripting skills are forgetting that Aliens is one of the best sci-fi scripts ever written and is probably one fo the best paced scripts ever written.

the Cameron from Terminator to True Lies could write fucking circles around most.

seinfield2.gif

FoneBone

Scullibundo said:
I don't pretend that Cameron's writing hasn't been at its best since True Lies - Titanic and AVATAR suffered due to some lazy dialogue and narrative devices. However, the Cameron from Terminator to True Lies could write fucking circles around most.
T2 and True Lies are both chock full of shitty writing and plotting.

jett

D-Member
FoneBone said:

Funny how in T2 the whole point of the movie is to escape from a killer robot that has been sent from the future to kill John Connor.

And yet John & Friends end up destroying Cyberdyne itself, which without it John Connor wouldn't exist. I guess they didn't think that one through.

Evlar

Banned
FoneBone said:
I propose the Second Law of Forum Thermodynamics: It takes more energy to troll than to post constructively. For instance, it would take several paragraphs to provide a thorough response to this.

(An unfortunate corollary is that all threads tend to descend into assholish shouting matches.)

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
jett said:
Funny how in T2 the whole point of the movie is to escape from a killer robot that has been sent from the future to kill John Connor.

And yet John & Friends end up destroying Cyberdyne itself, which without it John Connor wouldn't exist. I guess they didn't think that one through.
It should have stopped at 1. Another shitty, unneeded sequel like Aliens.

JGS

Banned
I like the writing in all of Cameron's movies. It outdoes most action movies by a mile considering especially that he had Arnol Ah'll be back to work with, True Lies was one of the best action movie scripts written up to that time. Then the Matrix came out and everyone had to get all preachy with the words.

Cameron gets that for a movie to be universal, it needs to be simply written. No philosophy degree is needed. Tell a story wth good guys and bad gys and have the good guy win. Settng that in the framework of pandora was either a wholly unique experience (My opinion) or the best retelling of Ferngully ever imagined.

He wasn't going to have big words going on in a movie like Avatar, but the execution of a simple story was fantastic and outdid all the other sci-fi last year combined (with the possible exception of Moon).

I would much rather have a fantastic simple story over a horrible complex one anyday (District 9's was both horrible and simple. That I stilll even like the movie is a testament to the director and lead actor.).

shintoki said:
It should have stopped at 1. Another shitty, unneeded sequel like Aliens.
Again, why the sudden Aliens hate? It seems like it was non existant until the last few weeks. Is this Avatar backlash?

Oh, and Jett: The hallway fight will be more remembered than Avatar, that I am sure. But to say Nolan is a better action director than Cameron is just wrong on so many levels. There aren't many directors that can hang anywhere near Cameron on the action end of directing.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
PhoncipleBone said:
Again, why the sudden Aliens hate? It seems like it was non existant until the last few weeks. Is this Avatar backlash?

Oh, and Jett: The hallway fight will be more remembered than Avatar, that I am sure. But to say Nolan is a better action director than Cameron is just wrong on so many levels. There aren't many directors that can hang anywhere near Cameron on the action end of directing.
Not everyone has to love Aliens. Nor is this sudden hate from Avatar. It's a simple thing called "Different opinions":lol

On Avatar. None of the fight scenes will probably be remembered above Inception's Twirling Hallway(Even though I think Avatar's are much better, this one does something unique), but I feel the scenes that will be remembered are the flight ones+destruction of the tree.

Dead

well not really...yet
PhoncipleBone said:

Shitty backlash thats all.

Aliens and T2 are already genre defining classics, nothing will ever change that :lol

jett

D-Member
PhoncipleBone said:

Just trying to shut up the people bringing Cameron up as the end all. This isn't even an Inception thread.

jett said:
The difference is this thread has nothing to do with James Cameron.

Almost none of the post have anything really to do with the OP or topic of weekend box office. Bunch of stupid mud slinging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom