• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office [OT] 07•30/8•1•10 - Nolan's dream is still alive, Schmucks eat cake

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGS

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Almost none of the post have anything really to do with the OP or topic of weekend box office. Bunch of stupid mud slinging.
Thank God I love all the directors mentioned.

artist

Banned
JGS said:
Thank God I love all the directors mentioned.
Thats not the point here though, I'm pretty sure a good chunk of the posters arguing like both of them,
for different reasons. :p

JGS

Banned
irfan said:
Thats not the point here though, I'm pretty sure a good chunk of the posters arguing like both of them,
for different reasons. :p
OK, I just felt the need to defend Cameron.

Jex

JGS said:
OK, I just felt the need to defend Cameron.

I'm sure GAF has every possible position simultaneously covered for and against.

Cameron's money is all the defence he needs

vooglie

JGS said:
I always [try to] watch movies for the story which is why I didn't care too much for District 9.

Avatar had a great story that was less paint by the numbers than Hurt Locker (Although I liked it too)

I know opinions are opinions but honestly I don't even...

Dead

well not really...yet
Weekend actuals are in

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Avatar is playing in 2 theaters, 3543 less than Inception, but its Per Theater Average is only $1000 less than Inception, and higher than the PTA of movies 3 through 20 in the Top 20

with 33 weeks of release, the movie has never even once dipped below $1000 PTA on the weekend

Deku

Banned
I don't mind Cameron. Loved T2. Liked Avatar, though almost 12 months on, the film just hasn't caught on to me the way other films have.

LM4sure

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Man you crazy. Shutter Island was a great movie.

I didn't really care for it. The plot was pretty predictable, as was the ending. Nothing great about it at all in my opinion. Very forgettable

Dead said:
Weekend actuals are in

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Avatar is playing in 2 theaters, 3543 less than Inception, but its Per Theater Average is only $1000 less than Inception, and higher than the PTA of movies 3 through 20 in the Top 20

Really shows how poor Inception has performed, once you get past the smoke and mirrors.

Was going to see it last week but I had a feeling it would manage to stay on top of the box office. I'll see it this week to commemorate its fall from grace

PhoenixDark said:
Really shows how poor Inception has performed, once you get past the smoke and mirrors.

Was going to see it last week but I had a feeling it would manage to stay on top of the box office. I'll see it this week to commemorate its fall from grace

Hum hum, the crow, so good.

Chinner

Banned
The people criticizing Inception are suffering from penis envy of just how amazing Nolan is. I'm not surprised though - this is a internet forum and people are bound to be emotionally invested in things so emotions are bound to run high.

I can sympathize though; you know theres going to be jealously when Nolan single handily beats the great directors who have made modern cinema; I'm talking about directors such as Spielberg, Scorsese, Scott, Hitchcock, Allen, Kubrick, Cameron, Coppola, Leone, Verhoeven, Tarantino, Jackson, Wachowski and Fincher. I mean this guy has come along within the last 20 years and utterly destroyed them. All you have to do is look at public opinion and everyone agrees; Inception is already at no#3, and when you consider that The Godfather and The Shawshank Redemption are utterly overrated, then you do realize that Inception is in fact the best film ever made.

Is this surprising though? The Dark Knight was an huge success, and if it wasn't for TDK Avatar would of been no where near as successful as it was. Critics agree that IMAX ticket prices and camera technology influenced Avatar. Hell, even James Cameron says it: "I was directly influenced by The Dark Knight".

Inception is the remaking of films as we know it. Inception shows us that films and hollywood don't need to treat us as idiots anymore. Films CAN be unnecessarily complex and still be successful. Obviously, some of the film critics are finding it hard to accept evolution. Forum posters such as Solo critique Nolan for his poorly directed action scenes and characters that lack depth. This may seem logical at appearance, what posters like Solo do not realize is that Nolan is treating the viewer with logical respect. Think about it; When Nolan directs a movie he directs with the view that the viewer is actually IN the movie; when you keep this in mind, the average viewer is not a soldier, if any of us were to be placed in an battlefield we would not be able to coordinate and participate because we lack experience - this is WHY we can't see whats happening in Nolan's action sequences.

A equal explanation can be given for why Nolan's characters lack depth. Look at it from what we've learned from above; although Nolan directs films as if the viewer was there, he doesn't direct it as if the viewer was INVOLVED with the events. Now take this and look at Nolan's characters. If I was in Inception, I'm sure as hell no one would be talking to me, and shit man I can't read minds. I wouldn't be able get to know anyone because everyone will be sleeping. This kind of cinema is utterly logical yet so perfect and moist at the same time.

What holds the future for Nolan and cinema? For those who keep up to date with Nolan news, Nolan is going 3D. Nolan says that this will allow him to reinvent cinema as we know because he will be able to finally give characters the depth they deserve.

jett

D-Member
Keep an eye on Chinner and Phoenix Dark, Solo. That's the kind of joke character you're becoming in Nolan-related threads.

PhoenixDark said:

Do you ever stop being a douche?

Kusagari

PhoenixDark said:

Your trolling is starting to become too obvious. You need to take a break and get some new material.

artist

Banned
PD doesnt realize that when he think Inception falls from the top and goes to see it, he actually helps it be No.1 (again) :lol

Solo

jett said:
Keep an eye on Chinner and Phoenix Dark, Solo. That's the kind of joke character you're becoming in Nolan-related threads.

I love how not agreeing with your opinion makes someone a joke character. If that were true, you'd be the funniest fucker on NeoGAF :lol

All I do is state my opinions and give reasons as to why. Deal with it.

Chinner

Banned
I agree. I was actually being deadly serious but it was disappointing to see my critique utterly dismissed just because jett has an agenda against me.

Bob White

AvidNobody said:
Better than any cameron action scene ever ever ever

Umm, while I think Avatar was a fucking mess and a joke of a movie/story, Cameron has directed some of the best action scenes EVER. I love Nolan, but his action scenes could improve by tons.

I can't believe nobody has pointed out PD's obvious attempts to have his brilliant crow-eating avatar, that features one of his most hated people on the planet replaced with some suave Nolan vestige.

It won't work PD. You're stuck with Cameron beating your face in till March next year.

dmshaposv

Chinner said:
The people criticizing Inception are suffering from penis envy of just how amazing Nolan is. I'm not surprised though - this is a internet forum and people are bound to be emotionally invested in things so emotions are bound to run high.

I can sympathize though; you know theres going to be jealously when Nolan single handily beats the great directors who have made modern cinema; I'm talking about directors such as Spielberg, Scorsese, Scott, Hitchcock, Allen, Kubrick, Cameron, Coppola, Leone, Verhoeven, Tarantino, Jackson, Wachowski and Fincher. I mean this guy has come along within the last 20 years and utterly destroyed them. All you have to do is look at public opinion and everyone agrees; Inception is already at no#3, and when you consider that The Godfather and The Shawshank Redemption are utterly overrated, then you do realize that Inception is in fact the best film ever made.

Is this surprising though? The Dark Knight was an huge success, and if it wasn't for TDK Avatar would of been no where near as successful as it was. Critics agree that IMAX ticket prices and camera technology influenced Avatar. Hell, even James Cameron says it: "I was directly influenced by The Dark Knight".

Inception is the remaking of films as we know it. Inception shows us that films and hollywood don't need to treat us as idiots anymore. Films CAN be unnecessarily complex and still be successful. Obviously, some of the film critics are finding it hard to accept evolution. Forum posters such as Solo critique Nolan for his poorly directed action scenes and characters that lack depth. This may seem logical at appearance, what posters like Solo do not realize is that Nolan is treating the viewer with logical respect. Think about it; When Nolan directs a movie he directs with the view that the viewer is actually IN the movie; when you keep this in mind, the average viewer is not a soldier, if any of us were to be placed in an battlefield we would not be able to coordinate and participate because we lack experience - this is WHY we can't see whats happening in Nolan's action sequences.

A equal explanation can be given for why Nolan's characters lack depth. Look at it from what we've learned from above; although Nolan directs films as if the viewer was there, he doesn't direct it as if the viewer was INVOLVED with the events. Now take this and look at Nolan's characters. If I was in Inception, I'm sure as hell no one would be talking to me, and shit man I can't read minds. I wouldn't be able get to know anyone because everyone will be sleeping. This kind of cinema is utterly logical yet so perfect and moist at the same time.

What holds the future for Nolan and cinema? For those who keep up to date with Nolan news, Nolan is going 3D. Nolan says that this will allow him to reinvent cinema as we know because he will be able to finally give characters the depth they deserve.

C'mon chins, you're schtick works better when you don't exceed one sentence.

Now lets just sum this up as: "Inception has reinvented American cinema as we know it."

harSon

Banned
Solo said:
I love how not agreeing with your opinion makes someone a joke character. If that were true, you'd be the funniest fucker on NeoGAF :lol

All I do is state my opinions and give reasons as to why. Deal with it.

Exactly. Critiquing a movie is not synonymous with hating or trolling.

thekad

Banned
Thread: "Inception is on top again"

Usual suspects: Shoddy action, writing, etc. Cameron rocks. Avatar > *. Here's a link to my blog detailing how much Inception sucks.

Nolan:

chris_nolan_image__1_.jpg

"umad?"

DMczaf

If you want to talk about "umad", here's one of the NY critics talking about Inception's success

"Let's see Nolan make a second original to gross over $150 million worldwide before we deify him," said David Poland of Movie City News. "What comes of this premature deification is the tear-down when his film after the next 'Batman' doesn't do massive business or just isn't what his rabid fans expect. Not pretty when it happens, and no one of this talent level deserves it."

"Well...Inception was always going to be a mega hit! Now the REAL question is what his next movie does!"

harSon

Banned
At least a fair chunk of those who have gone against the grain, have typically backed their viewpoints up rather substantively. That's all you can really ask for. I could throw out hyperbole-ridden fragmented sentences, backed with nothing more than a picture as well, but I figured people would appreciate something a bit more intellectual.

GhaleonEB

DMczaf said:
If you want to talk about "umad", here's one of the NY critics talking about Inception's success

"Well...Inception was always going to be a mega hit! Now the REAL question is what his next movie does!"
I think he's in Stage 1: denial. I think "anger" will be even more entertaining.

thekad

Banned
Is that like the transitional fossils argument?

harSon said:
At least a fair chunk of those who have gone against the grain, have typically backed their viewpoints up rather substantively. That's all you can really ask for. I could throw out hyperbole-ridden fragmented sentences, backed with nothing more than a picture as well, but I figured people would appreciate something a bit more intellectual.

There are two Inception threads you could have spammed with your blog. This is a box office thread. The only reason Solo and co. are in here is because, yes, they mad.

Yeah I don't think anybody in here has been saying Nolan sucks. I'm pretty sure everybody in here likes the guys films. There just seem to be people who have their lips puckered so close to his ass cheek, that the brown eye they're pressing their ear up against means that any time they hear a gasp of air in the form of a new post, they expect it to be somebody talking shit.

Solo

Scullibundo said:
Yeah I don't think anybody in here has been saying Nolan sucks. I'm pretty sure everybody in here likes the guys films. There just seem to be people who have their lips puckered so close to his ass cheek, that the brown eye they're pressing their ear up against means that any time they hear a gasp of air in the form of a new post, they expect it to be somebody talking shit.

Nail, thy name is Sculli.

harSon

Banned
thekad said:
There are two Inception threads you could have spammed with your blog. This is a box office thread. The only reason Solo and co. are in here is because, yes, they mad.

I was simply showing that critiquing a movie in itself is not synonymous with trolling, which seems to be a viewpoint that many hold. And I bowed out of those two threads when I realized that people weren't willing to objectively discuss the film in question.

jett

D-Member
Scullibundo said:

Rich coming from the guy saying that Aliens is one of the best scripts ever. Why don't you tell us how awesome James Cameron as a screenwriter is again.

harSon

Banned
jett said:
Rich coming from the guy saying that Aliens is one of the best scripts ever. Why don't you tell us how awesome James Cameron as a screenwriter is again.

Have you actually read the screenplay? It's almost literature like in its execution.

gdt

I too would like to see Cameron bring someone in to help with the scripts.

In fact, Cameron should handle pretty much everything (dude can pace and build a movie like a genius) but someone else handling the dialogue would help.

But on the other hand, I don't know where his particular kind of genius comes from, so I don't know if I want to mess with the mix.

bow Banshee flight bow

jett

D-Member
harSon said:
Have you actually read the screenplay? It's almost literature like in its execution.

Is this sarcasm? I watch movies, I don't go around reading their screenplays.

I do love me some Aliens(theatrical edition, cough cough), but not for the writing(other than the funny one-liners anyway).

harSon

Banned
jett said:

I do love me some Aliens(theatrical edition, cough cough), but not for the writing(other than the funny one-liners anyway).

Then what business do you have commenting on the film's script?

jett said:

Oh ma' jett. You disappoint me so. And yes, the Aliens script is masterful in its design. It should be mandatory reading for any screenwriter.

jett

D-Member
harSon said:
Then what business do you have commenting on the film's script?

I guess commenting on Inception's script is off-limits now!

Gimme a fucking break.

Scullibundo said:
Oh ma' jett. You disappoint me so. And yes, the Aliens script is masterful in its design. It should be mandatory reading for any screenwriter.

Sorry Sculli ol' buddy but the pacing is kinda ruined for me in the special edition. I guess since you're just insisting on the quality of the thing I'll try to read it one day, but I doubt it. :p

harSon

Banned
jett said:
I guess commenting on Inception's script is off-limits now!

Gimme a fucking break.

Don't get mad at me because you commented on something you have absolutely no clue about.

vooglie

harSon said:
Don't get mad at me because you commented on something you have absolutely no clue about.

Jett's talking about the stuff that you hear and see, why are you playing ignorant? You don't have to have read the script to say that the dialogue sucks.

harSon

Banned
vooglie said:
Jett's talking about the stuff that you hear and see, why are you playing ignorant? You don't have to have read the script to say that the dialogue sucks.

I'm not being ignorant, a screenplay is not always synonymous with its end result, and some of them are more eloquently written than others. An excellent screenplay does not necessarily mean that its film adaptation is going to be equally as impressive, and the exact opposite is true as well.

Have you read Tarantino's screenplays? They're not all that great to be perfectly honest, something that can't be seen by simply watching the film itself.

JGS

Banned
gdt5016 said:
I too would like to see Cameron bring someone in to help with the scripts.

In fact, Cameron should handle pretty much everything (dude can pace and build a movie like a genius) but someone else handling the dialogue would help.

But on the other hand, I don't know where his particular kind of genius comes from, so I don't know if I want to mess with the mix.

bow Banshee flight bow
The script would be worse because Cameron would never give up control. So another writer would wind up writing what Cameron would have wrote anyway but not as good!

It's better to just accept the type of writer Cameron is. That's the beauty of variety. Personally I think Cameron can write complex stories, but his vision is now too big. There's not enough room for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom