• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Levyne

Banned
I agree that if it was seamless (or moreso) that really would have been a very impressive and immersive feet. Maybe they will tweak how the chapters lay out in that sequel :p

I am surprised how weak the hand to hand to combat was in this game, especially since most of the made the darkness and riddick. Riddick remains their best game

crespo

Neo Member
PSA (if it hasn't been mentioned before, I haven't checked, but worth repeating anyway) :

The thrown back grenade perk (AKA Sentinel) can be done using your own grenades. You don't have to wait for an enemy to throw a grenade at you - just toss a grenade at a wall right next to you or on the ground under you, then quickly pick it up and throw at whatever enemy you have around you, and it'll count as a "thrown back" grenade.

I decided to try it out myself as I was nearing the end of my second playthrough to Platinum the game, and that was the only perk I was missing, and to my surprise and outright joy it worked beautifully.

(you're welcome)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
PSA (if it hasn't been mentioned before, I haven't checked, but worth repeating anyway) :

The thrown back grenade perk (AKA Sentinel) can be done using your own grenades. You don't have to wait for an enemy to throw a grenade at you - just toss a grenade at a wall right next to you or on the ground under you, then quickly pick it up and throw at whatever enemy you have around you, and it'll count as a "thrown back" grenade.

I decided to try it out myself as I was nearing the end of my second playthrough to Platinum the game, and that was the only perk I was missing, and to my surprise and outright joy it worked beautifully.

(you're welcome)

I just tried this. I threw the grenade, picked it up and threw it again. After burning through all my grenades, I realised you still need to throw them at enemies. DUH!

Thanks though!

P.S. I really can't agree with people who think the 2nd half takes a huge dip in quality - I love the return to the Nautica, the Moon level is fun and I've just finished the U-Boat level. Ricochet shotgun is hilarious!

As I'm playing through I can't help thinking "I hope they haven't fixed the ability to get the Uber trophy by just doing the last level" - I don't want to have to do a third playthrough as I think it might be just that bit too much of a good thing.

Cloudy

Banned
I'm on the motherfucking
moon
. This game is AMAZING

ps: From the last diary entry, is Ramona
actually Anya
?

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I definitely enjoyed Wolfenstein New Order's campaign. I love me a good sci-fi shooter. Although, I feel like we've stagnated a bit in the last couple years. I feel like I enjoyed Singularity just as much, although it might be the nostalgia talking. I can't wait until we have a huge leap forward in single player FPS tech and graphics for this gen. The only part of Wolfenstein New Order I didn't like was the bridge. Long range fighting wasn't very fun in the new game as there weren't many long range weapons.

Cloudy

Banned
The only part of Wolfenstein New Order I didn't like was the bridge. Long range fighting wasn't very fun in the new game as there weren't many long range weapons.

Bridge was my favorite level till the
moon
. The assault rifle is pretty decent for long range

PS: I think the laser marksman is my #2 favorite weapon. white pistol is legit as well

PS: I think the laser marksman is my #2 favorite weapon. white pistol is legit as well

Yep laser marksman is among my fav as well. If you replay the game via chapter select, all guns start with alt mode so you can use the laser marksman much earlier too. Only problem I have with it is it chews through ammo fast but it's rechargeable so all good

dcx4610

Picked the game up during the $30 deal this week.

Anyone disappointed by the graphics? I'm pretty easy to please but for a next gen game it looks maybe on the level of Modern Warfare 3 from 2011. Just not impressive at all. At leas the frame rate is solid.

That said, I loved "GET PSYCHE" when starting a new game and so far it's a pretty fun experience that reminds me of classic FPS games on PC.

Picked the game up during the $30 deal this week.

Anyone disappointed by the graphics? I'm pretty easy to please but for a next gen game it looks maybe on the level of Modern Warfare 3 from 2011. Just not impressive at all. At leas the frame rate is solid.

That said, I loved "GET PSYCHE" when starting a new game and so far it's a pretty fun experience that reminds me of classic FPS games on PC.

yea the graphics are serviceable. I don't care though, the game runs at 60 FPS

Levyne

Banned
I think the art direction is great, but whenever the MSAA disabled itself from the PC console the jaggies could get really bad...stinks that there is absolutely no AA(?) by default. Textures actually looked okay to me for the most part, with a few isolated really bad spots.

It's cross-gen though, so I think my expectations were aligned pretty well with what we got.

antitrop

I think the art direction is great, but whenever the MSAA disabled itself from the PC console the jaggies could get really bad...stinks that there is absolutely no AA(?) by default. Textures actually looked okay to me for the most part, with a few isolated really bad spots.

It's cross-gen though, so I think my expectations were aligned pretty well with what we got.
My game defaults to 8x MSAA... I have to manually lower it in the console every time I boot up the game. I played through my entire first playthrough of the game with 8x MSAA on by accident, no wonder the framerate was poor. (Not that it's still good at 2x MSAA)

EDIT: Just downloaded a small update on Steam, no notes:
EpbXvvt.png

d00d3n

EDIT: Just downloaded a small update on Steam, no notes:
EpbXvvt.png

Patch release notes
- Added driver version detection for supported AMD and NVIDIA GPUs
- Added independent VO volume control
- Added audio device selection in Audio Options menu
- Bug fix to prevent anisotropic filtering being disabled every time the player dies
- Enabling multisampling antialiasing through the in-game console will no longer break skin shaders and reflections
- Fix for invalid screen resolutions being set after driver updates or swapping monitors
- “Ultra” settings updated to use lower values for VT Cache and Shadow Buffer size (original values can still be accessed through ‘Custom’ settings)

Got it from here

Wow doing my second playthrough for the
Wyatt
timeline and to get all the collectibles I missed. Turns out I missed 2
LaserKraftwerk
upgrades. One of them being the
portable generator
Oops

Cloudy

Banned
Wow doing my second playthrough for the
Wyatt
timeline and to get all the collectibles I missed. Turns out I missed 2
LaserKraftwerk
upgrades. One of them being the
portable generator
Oops

No wonder I've been struggling. I'm on chapter 14 and don't have that yet lol

That interview is fantastic, and I'm glad the blackly comic tone was brought up because I saw some critics on twitter blithely write off the game as "tonally inconsistent" as if they've never been accustomed with a black/dark comedy to realise you need some levity with such larger-than-life situations, ridiculous premises, and such intense subject matter. It was obvious from all the (excellent) marketing.

Happiness is one of the darkest comedies ever especially when it deals with pedophilia but you get pitch-perfect uncomfortable hilarity with this classic scene. The Producers is about the Nazis and the holocaust. Dr Strangelove is about nuclear war. Heathers and World's Greatest Dad are about teen suicides. Robocop, Inglorious Basterds, and District 9 are great reference points. I'm glad they didn't go completely po-faced like most games these days. I'd liken the tone to Max Payne 1 and 2 which had the world-weary and pulpy internal monologues but is also absolutely hilarious in moments and is self-aware enough to not be mired in misery like what I felt with the third game. It's kind of why I like the Kane and Lynch games (Blazko - Brian Bloom in those games too) because you're playing as deranged psychopaths with no redeemable qualities but they are pretty funny together.

"Buoy...buoy...silly word."
this post... my man :)

mindsale

Picked this up for PS4 at Costco earlier this week for $33. I'm maybe 5 or 6 hours into Uber, and really, really enjoying myself. Weapons feel incredible; stealth portions are great; environments have wonderful aesthetics (
just got out of a prison that was bright grey and white with autumnal red trees as the primary color flourish, very pretty

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I beat this on Death Incarnate and just can't imagine playing it on Uber. I'm usually ok with difficulty but man I had a hard time. The checkpoints are less forgiving so maybe that didn't help. But, I'm playing the other timeline now on Normal and it's really too easy. I am really enjoying this game though. I wish I had bought this and rented Watch Dogs instead. These guys certainly deserved my money more than Ubisoft. I really hope there's a sequel.

Halfway through on Uber on my first play and I am rarely encountering any real progression problems. You can die really quickly if going toe-to-toe with forces without shielding behind cover(health and armor drains very fast with direct hits), but I pretty much always use stealth to thin the herd and remove commanders. Taking out the lagging fodder ends up simple. Half the levels practically line up everyone with their backs to you for easy clearing, very rarely do I ever feel that I have to work for my stealth kills(especially the labor camp...yeesh felt like a tutorial level even though its near the halfway point of the campaign).

Enjoying the game and I do really dig the NPC's, but I'm not finding it to be the "brilliant FPS" so many are calling it out as. A solid B-tier game propped up on a pedestal given how pitiful most AAA FPS games have sullied the genre for years me thinks. Definitely one of the more competent games in the genre to be released in a long while, but I'm not at all on board with the GotY comments yet.

antitrop

Enjoying the game and I do really dig the NPC's, but I'm not finding it to be the "brilliant FPS" so many are calling it out as. A solid B-tier game propped up on a pedestal given how pitiful most AAA FPS games have sullied the genre for years me thinks. Definitely one of the more competent games in the genre to be released in a long while, but I'm not at all on board with the GotY comments yet.
I'll always prefer these small-studio "B-tier" games to assembly line, checkbox ticking, clusterfuck mega-franchises like Assassin's Creed and recent Call of Duty. Even if those are the games that review and sell better.

I like my GOTY picks to be underdogs, though (aside from The Last of Us last year). At the end of this year, everyone will be raving about Destiny and Far Cry 4, but I certainly won't be forgetting Wolfenstein. I was the guy jumping up and down, waving my arms around to tell everyone how good The Darkness was when people wouldn't shut up about Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, and Bioshock. I'm a total sucker for cult classics that don't get the recognition or hype they deserve at release. My favorite all-time film is Pulp Fiction, when Forrest Gump won the Academy Award for Best Picture of 1994, etc.

I would also imagine that playing the game after having other people tell you that it was their GOTY instead of being able to form that opinion for yourself would be a very much different experience than I had, so I can't even relate. Much like Spec Ops: TL, much of my enjoyment of the game was having my somewhat non-existent expectations deeply subverted. So I can absolutely understand how someone might not share my experience with the game coming into it already with a certain set of preconceptions.

Sometimes a game, despite all its shortcomings, just hits you right where you need to be hit. Wolfenstein came in and filled the emptiness in my heart in a way a game hasn't in a very, very long time. That, to me, is worthy of GOTY honors. For me, that's all it takes, everyone has different criteria and plays games under different circumstances.

I'll always prefer these small-studio "B-tier" games to assembly line, checkbox ticking, clusterfuck mega-franchises like Assassin's Creed and recent Call of Duty. Even if those are the games that review and sell better.

I like my GOTY picks to be underdogs, though (aside from The Last of Us last year). At the end of this year, everyone will be raving about Destiny and Far Cry 4, but I certainly won't be forgetting Wolfenstein. I was the guy jumping up and down, waving my arms around to tell everyone how good The Darkness was when people wouldn't shut up about Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, and Bioshock. I'm a total sucker for cult classics that don't get the recognition or hype they deserve at release. My favorite all-time film is Pulp Fiction, but Forrest Gump won the Academy Award for Best Picture of 1994, etc.

Also I would imagine that playing the game after having other people tell you that it was their GOTY instead of being able to form that opinion for yourself would be a very much different experience than I had playing the game, so I can't even relate. Much like Spec Ops: The Line, much of my enjoyment of the game was having my somewhat non-existent expectations deeply subverted. So I can absolutely understand how someone might not share my experience with the game coming into it already with a certain set of preconceptions.

Sometimes a game, despite all its shortcomings, just hits you right where you need to be hit. Wolfenstein came in and filled the emptiness in my heart in a way a game hasn't in a very, very long time. That, to me, is worthy of GOTY honors. For me, that's all it takes, everyone has different criteria and plays games under different circumstances.

159.gif

antitrop

As I said before, if Bioshock Infinite was a GOTY contender last year (GAF's own #2), there is absolutely no good reason why Wolfenstein: The New Order can't be a GOTY contender this year.

someday

Banned
Halfway through on Uber on my first play and I am rarely encountering any real progression problems. You can die really quickly if going toe-to-toe with forces without shielding behind cover(health and armor drains very fast with direct hits), but I pretty much always use stealth to thin the herd and remove commanders. Taking out the lagging fodder ends up simple. Half the levels practically line up everyone with their backs to you for easy clearing, very rarely do I ever feel that I have to work for my stealth kills(especially the labor camp...yeesh felt like a tutorial level even though its near the halfway point of the campaign).

I'm realizing that I missed a lot of upgrades and stealth opportunities during my Death Incarnate playthrough. I may actually attempt replaying it on Uber instead of finishing my Wyatt-timeline on normal.

Cloudy

Banned
I kind of get the strategy for the London Monitor but
Can I only shoot it when the eye is red?
. I only made one attempt so far but it doesn't seem that hard except for the fact I don't have the recharge upgrade and have to manage that while running

Would have been nice to have some other bosses like this earlier to practice on lol

I kind of get the strategy for the London Monitor but
Can I only shoot it when the eye is red?
. I only made one attempt so far but it doesn't seem that hard except for the fact I don't have the recharge upgrade and have to manage that while running

Would have been nice to have some other bosses like this earlier to practice on lol

Basically

You can only shoot his eye when he's charging. Then when stunned you attack his missile pods. Then once you destroy all the missile pods you hit his eye again and run under him and shoot up into his guts

Yoda

Finally got around to finishing this. Easily the most fun I've had in a shooter since the original Crysis.

I like my GOTY picks to be underdogs, though (aside from The Last of Us last year). At the end of this year, everyone will be raving about Destiny and Far Cry 4, but I certainly won't be forgetting Wolfenstein. I was the guy jumping up and down, waving my arms around to tell everyone how good The Darkness was when people wouldn't shut up about Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, and Bioshock. I'm a total sucker for cult classics that don't get the recognition or hype they deserve at release. My favorite all-time film is Pulp Fiction, when Forrest Gump won the Academy Award for Best Picture of 1994, etc.

I would also imagine that playing the game after having other people tell you that it was their GOTY instead of being able to form that opinion for yourself would be a very much different experience than I had, so I can't even relate. Much like Spec Ops: TL, much of my enjoyment of the game was having my somewhat non-existent expectations deeply subverted. So I can absolutely understand how someone might not share my experience with the game coming into it already with a certain set of preconceptions.

post-28431-jgl-well-said-well-said-gif-im-s5dg.gif

Cudder

I picked the game up a couple days ago based on everyone picking it as their GOTY in another thread. I finished it last night on Uber and really, really enjoyed it. Gameplay was really solid, it was a good length, and the story was decent.

Top Bottom