• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Anung

Un Rama
Antitrop totally nailed it.

It's been an age since a games been on my mind this much. But my mind is constantly wandering to it. Whether its the story, characters, music or game play. I want to spend more time in this universe. Also BJ as character is fantastic.

I'll always prefer these small-studio "B-tier" games to assembly line, checkbox ticking, clusterfuck mega-franchises like Assassin's Creed and recent Call of Duty. Even if those are the games that review and sell better.

I like my GOTY picks to be underdogs, though (aside from The Last of Us last year). At the end of this year, everyone will be raving about Destiny and Far Cry 4, but I certainly won't be forgetting Wolfenstein. I was the guy jumping up and down, waving my arms around to tell everyone how good The Darkness was when people wouldn't shut up about Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, and Bioshock. I'm a total sucker for cult classics that don't get the recognition or hype they deserve at release. My favorite all-time film is Pulp Fiction, when Forrest Gump won the Academy Award for Best Picture of 1994, etc.

I would also imagine that playing the game after having other people tell you that it was their GOTY instead of being able to form that opinion for yourself would be a very much different experience than I had, so I can't even relate. Much like Spec Ops: TL, much of my enjoyment of the game was having my somewhat non-existent expectations deeply subverted. So I can absolutely understand how someone might not share my experience with the game coming into it already with a certain set of preconceptions.

Sometimes a game, despite all its shortcomings, just hits you right where you need to be hit. Wolfenstein came in and filled the emptiness in my heart in a way a game hasn't in a very, very long time. That, to me, is worthy of GOTY honors. For me, that's all it takes, everyone has different criteria and plays games under different circumstances.

The Darkness was one of my favorite games last gen. I actually went back and played through it again right before getting my PS4.

Hey, not sure if this is the right place - but has anybody tried playing this on a Radeon 6770M? The recommended specs say nothing lower than a 6850 - but some digging online suggests it might work anyways. One video of the game running on the card seems to get a playable frame rate on high & medium, but he also might be overclocking the card.

Anybody with a laptop card that is below spec tried the game?

dreamfall

The Darkness was one of my favorite games last gen. I actually went back and played through it again right before getting my PS4.

Jenny and Jackie foreva! Bought it three times, installed on the 360 hard drive- lovelovelove. The atmosphere in that game- unmatched! Acevedo's loading screen monologues = god-tier.

teokrazia

Bought on Steam Sale.
It will be my next SP game, after Valiant Hearts.
I strongly hope that is more like Shadow Warrior or Bulletstorm than RAGE.

Moff

wow, already at the steam sale, thats unexpected, did it not sell well?
anyway, it was easily worth full price, everyone who like FPS should get this now at the sale

EDIT: Somebody finally uploaded the absolutely fucking incredible alternate version of the Main Menu Theme that plays during the last chapter. Gives me goosebumps, this soundtrack is unbelievable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcrn8Gng9NY

HNNNGGGG

this post... my man :)

:D

I'll always prefer these small-studio "B-tier" games to assembly line, checkbox ticking, clusterfuck mega-franchises like Assassin's Creed and recent Call of Duty. Even if those are the games that review and sell better.

I like my GOTY picks to be underdogs, though (aside from The Last of Us last year). At the end of this year, everyone will be raving about Destiny and Far Cry 4, but I certainly won't be forgetting Wolfenstein. I was the guy jumping up and down, waving my arms around to tell everyone how good The Darkness was when people wouldn't shut up about Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, and Bioshock. I'm a total sucker for cult classics that don't get the recognition or hype they deserve at release. My favorite all-time film is Pulp Fiction, when Forrest Gump won the Academy Award for Best Picture of 1994, etc.

I would also imagine that playing the game after having other people tell you that it was their GOTY instead of being able to form that opinion for yourself would be a very much different experience than I had, so I can't even relate. Much like Spec Ops: TL, much of my enjoyment of the game was having my somewhat non-existent expectations deeply subverted. So I can absolutely understand how someone might not share my experience with the game coming into it already with a certain set of preconceptions.

Sometimes a game, despite all its shortcomings, just hits you right where you need to be hit. Wolfenstein came in and filled the emptiness in my heart in a way a game hasn't in a very, very long time. That, to me, is worthy of GOTY honors. For me, that's all it takes, everyone has different criteria and plays games under different circumstances.

e339f546e2dab0d4bddd631a5190c214.gif

Aske

This game. This game!

Picked it up a few days ago. It feels like Goldeneye! Playing my first run on Death Incarnate, and the difficulty is perfect. Stealth and cover systems are awesome, level design is superb. Loving the perk system and weapons...The whole game is just so good. Very impressed.

Cudder

This game. This game!

Picked it up a few days ago. It feels like Goldeneye! Playing my first run on Death Incarnate, and the difficulty is perfect. Stealth and cover systems are awesome, level design is superb. Loving the perk system and weapons...The whole game is just so good. Very impressed.

I got Goldeneye vibes from certain levels too, especially walking around with a silenced pistol taking people out. The movement feels very Goldeneye/Timesplitters.

Sullichin

Is there any word of any DLC for this game? I'll likely give it another playthrough on the bonus mode (which I'm not sure if I ever unlocked), possibly on Uber. Would definitely pick up any DLC for this game provided it's not a stupid weapon or skin pack or something.

DieH@rd

Banned
Is there any word of any DLC for this game? I'll likely give it another playthrough on the bonus mode (which I'm not sure if I ever unlocked), possibly on Uber. Would definitely pick up any DLC for this game provided it's not a stupid weapon or skin pack or something.

Only rumors that they will create story DLC. We will know if this is true on Quakecon in few weeks.

Abelian75

Neo Member
That's not what he asked and I quite interested in this too.

I tried to solve it by myself, but didn't get it and decided to look for the codes on the Internet after all.

But I guess it is solvable - there are clues in many levels, on the blackboards. I didn't get the whole algorithm though, but not that I really tried to figure it out, honestly.

Didn't see an answer to this yet, and haven't seen anyone mention the actual method anywhere else I'd looked either. So here we go!

Basically, for each spinner, multiply the number of the left of the row by the column number.

If you get a single digit number, that's the number that spinner should be set to.

If you get a double digit number, add the two digits together. If that's a single digit number, that's the number for that spinner. If it's still a double digit number, add them together again, and use that as the number of the spinner.

For example, if the number on the left of the row is seven:

Column 1 would be 7, because 7*1=7
Column 2 would be 5, because 7*2=14, and 1+4=5
Column 3 would be 3, because 7*3=21, and 2+1=3
Column 4 would be 1, because 7*4=28, 2+8=10, and 1+0=1

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just started this on 360 today. Even after the install, the respawn times after being killed are fairly lengthy. Can the other discs be installed to improve performance? I can't find the option on the dashboard.

Cudder

Just started this on 360 today. Even after the install, the respawn times after being killed are fairly lengthy. Can the other discs be installed to improve performance? I can't find the option on the dashboard.

why aren't you playing it on PC? you'd probably bitch a lot less about the game.

antitrop

Just got this on PC. Are there any graphics tweaks I should be using? Heard about a command line that enables more AA for example.

First thing, enter vt_useCudaTranscode "1" in the console. Just do it.

r_multisamples "X" for MSAA

Put Max PPF at 16. Screen Space Reflections takes up an insane amount of juice just to make reflections in the water look better (lol), so you should probably just turn that shit off.

EDIT: Somebody finally uploaded the absolutely fucking incredible alternate version of the Main Menu Theme that plays during the last chapter. Gives me goosebumps, this soundtrack is unbelievable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcrn8Gng9NY

I suddenly feel the need to create a action movie that has a Godfather-like Baptism of Fire chain of events to properly use this score

Bummer it's not bigger. Would be a great wallpaper.

This one's bigger but not by much

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9xiXfZemTu8/U6izjPzNdUI/AAAAAAAAAXo/jPASXNj0KtY/s1600/blog14-Cover.png

First thing, enter vt_useCudaTranscode "1" in the console. Just do it.

r_multisamples "X" for MSAA

Put Max PPF at 16. Screen Space Reflections takes up an insane amount of juice just to make reflections in the water look better (lol), so you should probably just turn that shit off.

You're a gent, thank you.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I wonder if we'll be seeing a narrative sequel to the game, or some other incongruent developer will just randomly take a shot at wolfenstein in a few years?

Cloudy

Banned
I wonder if we'll be seeing a narrative sequel to the game, or some other incongruent developer will just randomly take a shot at wolfenstein in a few years?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wo...-a-very-clear-idea-for-a-sequel/1100-6420718/

Swedish developer MachineGames has a "very clear idea" for how it would approach a sequel to last month's Wolfenstein: The New Order. Speaking with GameSpot sister site Giant Bomb, creative director Jens Matthies said, "We would love to do a sequel. We have a very, very clear idea of what we accomplished with this this, and what we want to accomplish with a sequel."

spookyfish

I just finished the game today, and I gotta say, the feels kicked in with that final scene and ending song.

What about Der Fuhrer? What about Frau Effed-Up Face?? Does our boy Blazko get the girl?? Holy crap!!

I MUST have a sequel!!

I just finished the game today, and I gotta say, the feels kicked in with that final scene and ending song.

What about Der Fuhrer? What about Frau Effed-Up Face?? Does our boy Blazko get the girl?? Holy crap!!

I MUST have a sequel!!

Actually, the first one they mentioned in that fantastic Giant Bomb interview with Jens Matthies (scroll to first spoiler question), with pretty good reasoning
why they left him out

Top Bottom