• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order; PC Performance Thread

riflen

So some textures seem awfully low-res. I assume that the VT cache size settings controls texture quality? It's set on Ultra, but some still look pretty bad. Does this game have a known bug/issue with texture quality?

Also, it seems every time I move my view to a new area it seems like the textures are streamed in too slow. As in: I can actually see the half-loaded texture while playing and it's really visually annoying. Would installing to my SSD do the trick?

One of the downsides of idtech5's megatexture tech is that it costs a lot of storage. Most textures in any given area are unique, so to keep it manageable, they keep data beneath 50 GB.
This unfortunately means there are quite a lot of low fidelity textures that don't look good up close. There's nothing to be done about that.

The texture data is streamed from your storage through the PCI-E bus to the GPU. Be sure that the GPU is in a PCI-E slot running at the highest rate possible for your system.

If you're seeing textures load in, then you might also have to adjust the vt_maxppf setting. This controls the max number of virtual texture pages per frame the game tries to process. If you're GPU limited and this value is set too high, you can sometimes see textures being loaded. Sane vt_maxppf values are between 16 and 64. I think this can be set in the menus.

mm04

I have an i5 4690k@4ghz, 970 SLI, installed on an SSD. I only have issues with stuttering when cut scenes start, but I was over that fairly early. I'm 6+ hours in and during the action it's around 60fps consistently. I have a G-SYNC monitor as well. Very enjoyable game thus far.

Dries

I still am not able to get rid of the stuttering in this game. I have tried EVERYTHING. G-sync on or off doesn't make a difference. Forcing V-sync and Triple Buffering does nothing. Locking my montior to 60 Hz instead of 144 Hz does nothing. Turning off V-sync in-game does nothing.

I think I'm about to give up. Too bad, I really was looking forward to this game, now it's just money wasted that I'll never get back. There's no way I'll play this stuttery bullshit after the god-like G-sync experiences with TW3 and GTA V.

I still am not able to get rid of the stuttering in this game. I have tried EVERYTHING. G-sync on or off doesn't make a difference. Forcing V-sync and Triple Buffering does nothing. Locking my montior to 60 Hz instead of 144 Hz does nothing. Turning off V-sync in-game does nothing.

I think I'm about to give up. Too bad, I really was looking forward to this game, now it's just money wasted that I'll never get back. There's no way I'll play this stuttery bullshit after the god-like G-sync experiences with TW3 and GTA V.

What are your specs? Also what is happening to the framerate when it's stuttering, is the framerate dropping drastically or is it just a few frames here and there?

Dries

What are your specs? Also what is happening to the framerate when it's stuttering, is the framerate dropping drastically or is it just a few frames here and there?

i5 2500K @ 4.4Ghz
GTX 980
8 GB RAM

playing at 1440p with G-sync.

When I cap at 60 fps I do not notice any stutter, but as soon as the game isn't 60, but falls down to 55 for instance, the game clearly stutters. It's the kind of stutter you see when you, for instance, "rotate" around an object and you see the object shake back and forth very slightly. It's very continious too, as long as the framerate isn't 60 it stutters. I'm even using a controller to eliminate the small mouse movements that disrupt such kind of a normally perfectly smooth animation. So, at 60 it's fine, but 59 or 61 the stutters appears. It's really noticeable too. I don't think that G-sync isn't working, because at 60 it's smooth. But anything other than 60 should be smooth too and that for sure is not happening.

It has to be engine stuttering, but wtf?

Edit: more info. How further away from 60 I cap my fps, the worse the stuttering gets. I like to cap my fps at 45 with G-sync but the stutter at 45 fps is much worse than say 55. 60 fps seems to be the ONLY framerate with which this engine can function without stuttering.

Dries

Is it OK to have the game and cache folder both on my SSD?

Edit: attempting to play the game again and keeping it at 60 fps, the only way it wont stutter.

Koobion

A friend of mine swears that this game and its expansion ran with SLI at first, judging by reported hardware usage and temps.I read that these games do not support SLI because of idTech5. Does anyone know if this is true?

i5 2500K @ 4.4Ghz
GTX 980
8 GB RAM

playing at 1440p with G-sync.

When I cap at 60 fps I do not notice any stutter, but as soon as the game isn't 60, but falls down to 55 for instance, the game clearly stutters. It's the kind of stutter you see when you, for instance, "rotate" around an object and you see the object shake back and forth very slightly. It's very continious too, as long as the framerate isn't 60 it stutters. I'm even using a controller to eliminate the small mouse movements that disrupt such kind of a normally perfectly smooth animation. So, at 60 it's fine, but 59 or 61 the stutters appears. It's really noticeable too. I don't think that G-sync isn't working, because at 60 it's smooth. But anything other than 60 should be smooth too and that for sure is not happening.

It has to be engine stuttering, but wtf?

Edit: more info. How further away from 60 I cap my fps, the worse the stuttering gets. I like to cap my fps at 45 with G-sync but the stutter at 45 fps is much worse than say 55. 60 fps seems to be the ONLY framerate with which this engine can function without stuttering.

Yeah I get that too, that's why I made sure it's 60 fps all the time. Try disabling "screen space reflections" it's a big perfromance hog.

A friend of mine swears that this game and its expansion ran with SLI at first, judging by reported hardware usage and temps.I read that these games do not support SLI because of idTech5. Does anyone know if this is true?

Not true, idTech5 never supported SLI. I don't think idTech4 does either.

Dries

Yeah I get that too, that's why I made sure it's 60 fps all the time. Try disabling "screen space reflections" it's a big perfromance hog.

Sure thing, I'll get that.

I'm still having texture streaming issues though. Whatever combination of settings I use with the whole VT compress or Max PPF deal, I still can see textures being loaded right in front of my eyes. What can I possibly do to avoid this?

God, this must be the worst engine ever...

Sure thing, I'll get that.

I'm still having texture streaming issues though. Whatever combination of settings I use with the whole VT compress or Max PPF deal, I still can see textures being loaded right in front of my eyes. What can I possibly do to avoid this?

God, this must be the worst engine ever...

Yeah that's id tech 5 for you.

I hope id Tech 6 is better...

Dries

Yeah that's id tech 5 for you.

I hope id Tech 6 is better...

I'm speechless. Why in the world would any developer use the id Tech 5 engine?

- instant stuttering when not 60 fps
- texture streaming bullshit
- having to downsample in the console (wtf!)
- no in-game AA options
- in-game AF only up till 4x
- ugly ass textures

- no in-game AA options
- ugly ass textures

I don't have this problem though, I'm able to select any DSR resolutions in the menu.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

- no in-game AA options
- ugly ass textures

They designed id Tech 5 with 60fps on consoles at all costs, and extremely diverse textures in mind.

They wanted to avoid the common case where everything looks the same and mega textures was their solution. In theory, these are all pretty great ideas. It's why you can look at Rage and it is absolutely gorgeous from a distance, or at heights. It's when you get up close to something that you realize the finer details aren't really there. And, I mean, seriously, look at Rage on Xbox 360. It's a god damned marvel. In typical gameplay it looks magnificent compared to just about anything else, AND it runs a constant 60fps. On that hardware, that's a seriously tall order to pull off.

The engine is very capable of looking stunning:

14260761759_1e1173b30a_o.png
10052037263_d6fdfcf535_o.png

11391715495_48e2d11fae_o.jpg

it just needed to make some compromises to achieve its goals. I don't think it's a bad engine, I just think that moment to moment its goals don't always line up with the players goals. It holds up beautifully on a TV, but it struggles up close on a monitor.

Salsa

lookathisbump

installed this

i5 2500k 4.4ghz
OCd GTX 680 2GB
8gigs of RAM

game runs like garbage, looks like garbage, doesnt strain my card at all either (fans not even goin up)

disabled screen reflections or whatever's said to cause issues

lowered everything

no dice

what the fuck is up

gg idtech5

Salsa

Try the texture compression setting. I barely noticed a change and it helped my performance a lot.

I have it on :/

sometimes its super smooth but it immediatly goes to shit with no visual bearing on what's causing it to act that way

its super odd

RedSwirl

Just got this game and I can't remember how I had New Order optimized. It's tough finding optimization guides for this game too.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
This game is the worst running PoS. Got it at a steam sale and felt like I got burnt..

Inexplicably bad performance.

Can't wait for them to ditch this terrible engine.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Is there anyway to play this game at 60fps on a i5-2500 at 3.3GHz?

I'm getting 25fps toward the beginning, in a large arena after disabling the cannons shooting on the beach (where you have to defeat lots of nazis shooting at you from the other side and one of your comrades sings out loud).

And I'm reading everywhere that with my CPU I should at least be getting 60fps. Hell I'd be happy with 50 now.

I have a GTX970 and I would write it off as the culprit because even lowering every setting and trying 720p doesn't do anything at all.

Is there anyway to play this game at 60fps on a i5-2500 at 3.3GHz?

I'm getting 25fps toward the beginning, in a large arena after disabling the cannons shooting on the beach (where you have to defeat lots of nazis shooting at you from the other side and one of your comrades sings out loud).

And I'm reading everywhere that with my CPU I should at least be getting 60fps. Hell I'd be happy with 50 now.

I have a GTX970 and I would write it off as the culprit because even lowering every setting and trying 720p doesn't do anything at all.

Turn down the amount of paging for the megatexture in the menu (i think you can change that in TNO in the menu try out the 16 value or 32). Turn off SSR or at least put it on medium. If you can, turn down the resolution of shadows (the only few "real time" shadows the game have have incorrect perspective and clip with geometry, they do not need to be @ 8096X8096). Turn on texture compression if you can.

The game engine in the end has a poor return value for the visuals it provides and has inexplicable performance due to mega.textures. It is only game I know where making it so textures are uncompressed and making it so textures are not a smudge tanks your performance. I hate the engine tbh.
That is really all I can say about that.

TronLight

Turn down the amount of paging for the megatexture in the menu (i think you can change that in TNO in the menu try out the 16 value or 32). Turn off SSR or at least put it on medium. If you can, turn down the resolution of shadows (the only few "real time" shadows the game have have incorrect perspective and clip with geometry, they do not need to be @ 8096X8096). Turn on texture compression if you can.

The game engine in the end has a poor return value for the visuals it provides and has inexplicable performance due to mega.textures. It is only game I know where making it so textures are uncompressed and making it so textures are not a smudge tanks your performance. I hate the engine tbh.
That is really all I can say about that.

I tried. Nothing changes, I can go as low as 25fps. I really don't know what do to.

TronLight

Don't make sense. I got a rock solid 60@1080p with everything pretty much maxed on a gtx670 and i5 3570k @4.2. Tried steam forums?

I tried googling and I tried everything I could find. I don't have any kind of tweak on (no forced MSAA, not 16x AF) I tried forcing GPU texture decoding. I checked the game files twice just because too.

The only other thing I'm doing is disabling in-game vSync and forcing it through the nVidia control panel to avoid framerate snapping to 30 every time.

Decado

I tried googling and I tried everything I could find. I don't have any kind of tweak on (no forced MSAA, not 16x AF) I tried forcing GPU texture decoding. I checked the game files twice just because too.

The only other thing I'm doing is disabling in-game vSync and forcing it through the nVidia control panel to avoid framerate snapping to 30 every time.
Have you tried different nvidia driver versions?

Installed this game (took forever), played the first level, ran well on Medium at 1920x1080.

Couple days later, try the next level. Frame rate drops off a cliff and I get about 5 seconds of freezing every 5 seconds or so. Lowered the graphics and the resolution to 1600x900 windowed, nothing changes.

Specs: i3-2120 3.3 GHz
8GB RAM
HD 7850 2GB
Windows 7 64-bit

I have the latest drivers, an SSD, and every other game runs.

Probably going to get a refund.

EDIT: just freed up some hard drive space and that seemed to fix everything. Weird.

EDIT2: Have to run on Low and 1600x900 and it still chugs a bit. Disappointed especially after playing Tomb Raider at full screen max settings.

kuYuri

So I finally started playing this. It runs good on my rig outside of some occasional rare stutters, but not enough to the point of ruining the experience for me yet.

So I've tried to unlock the framerate since I have a 144hz monitor and the game runs at super speed with sped up animations and scripting, so I enter "r_syncatendframe" in the console per instructions to fix it.. However it seems to not do anything and it still runs super fast. Any way to fix this or just put up with 60fps?

sleepnaught

Sorry for the bump, but replaying this and Old Blood and I've run into a very annoying issue. For whatever reason, my game is locked to 30 fps. I've disabled vsync in game and in Nvidia control panel, no luck. Any ideas on what I should try next?

Specs:

i7 920 4ghz
12gb ram
250gb SSD
GTX 1070

riflen

Sorry for the bump, but replaying this and Old Blood and I've run into a very annoying issue. For whatever reason, my game is locked to 30 fps. I've disabled vsync in game and in Nvidia control panel, no luck. Any ideas on what I should try next?

Specs:

i7 920 4ghz
12gb ram
250gb SSD
GTX 1070

Not enough info. Are you sure you're not running msi afterburner and RTSS with a frame rate limit? What's your display refresh rate?
Try resetting the game's 3D profile in NVCP. Download Nvidia Inspector and check the frame rate limiter isn't enabled for the game.
Can you make the game perform better running on lower settings?

Specs:

i7 920 4ghz
12gb ram
250gb SSD
GTX 1070
Game has double buffer vsync often engaged in spite of what the menu says. That means you probably have often above 16,6 ms render time per frame so it locks to 30 fps. Turn down your settings or lower your resolution to achieve 60. What is your resolution? Either that or force triplevbuffering in the nv control panel (it works with tno because it is open gl).

J_Viper

Sorry for the bump, but good god this port is a dumpster fire

My specs:

i5-7600k
GTX1070
16 GB RAM

It looks and runs like complete trash. For some reason, 60 FPS feels terrible in this game.

I guess I'll just replay the PS4 version lol

Top Bottom