• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman goes 24 hours without spending any money. So proud she writes an article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Bitch needs to go camping for a week.

Is Huffington Post some elaborate parody site devised to emulate the most smug, self-satisfied stereotypes of American liberals?

If so, well done.

ToxicAdam said:
This was how life was for most of America before instant credit, bank cards, check cashing companies and all that shit. You would get your paycheck on Friday, spend it by Monday or Tuesday and have no money until the next check came in.

This woman must be in her early 20's or have been living off her parents teat all her life.

edit: Oh, Harvard grad who had a job with Morgan Stanley upon graduation. Nuff said.

Yeah, people like this just have no fucking concept of what the world is like for most people. Hell, let me clarify: even for other Americans who simply aren't wealthy. Not even getting to ridiculously poor people in ridiculously poor places.

But you raise a good point, and I'd add to it: we also have instant things, not just money. The coffee and breakfasts she seems to have been depending on, all that-- super fast and convenient.

Though I must admit I'm always surprised by turn-of-the-twentieth novels, when people eat out constantly and have a cook even if they're barely getting by. How things have changed, and are changing still....

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
What?! She did spend money for that day though - is she dumb enough to not realise her spending is deferred? Just because you don't physically spend money doesn't mean that anywhere, somewhere, she spent money on something used that day- eliminate all deferred spending and THEN go days without spending anything and see how it really feels and then I'll be impressed - stupid rich people

Zaptruder

Banned
DopeyFish said:
What?! She did spend money for that day though - is she dumb enough to not realise her spending is deferred? Just because you don't physically spend money doesn't mean that anywhere, somewhere, she spent money on something used that day- eliminate all deferred spending and THEN go days without spending anything and see how it really feels and then I'll be impressed - stupid rich people

I went on vacation! I prepaid for everything!

For seven blissful days I didn't spend a single cent! It was so liberating!

mAcOdIn

DopeyFish said:
Again, I don't think she believes this, but, to throw your incredulous attitude back at you, you don't think the price of a meal made from food in her kitchen compares to 32 dollar take out do you? The entire point was that you can cut things you don't think are necessary to save money, not that you can live free forever with a Parker Lewis never ending cupboard and free electricity. I know we want to make fun of the rich lady, and yes she sounded like an idiot but I don't think she's that stupid.

Her problem was she was too specific in a general article. When she's talking to rich kids that aren't saving for retirement or rainy days this might have worked, posted on-line to the whole internet, well it doesn't work.

SiteSeer

hey_monkey said:
Yeah, people like this just have no fucking concept of what the world is like for most people. Hell, let me clarify: even for other Americans who simply aren't wealthy. Not even getting to ridiculously poor people in ridiculously poor places.
and yet she's also the cofounder of some anti aids/hiv african fund raising extra curricular for wealthy trust fund brats to 'volunteer' their time to go parties and drink booze for poor blacks

RustyNails said:
Alexa-Von-Tobel.jpg

She's a Harvard graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology, romance languages & literature, with Magna cum laude plus thesis on "Bhutan's development".

And she landed a job as an Analyst at a trading group right out of school. Yeah. So remember kiddies, your Psychology degree is not a waste. You can always end up as a big shot analyst at a financial firm.

Now I understand why Morgan Stanley and the such are major screw ups.

You hire a "Psychology, romance languages & literature" major as an analyst?

I mean no disrespect to psychology majors....but how exactly did harvard prepare her to be an analyst in the "Proprietary Trading Group". She either fucked some very important people, or her rich dad called in a very large favor.

Aselith

mAcOdIn said:
Hahaha, man, I've gone weeks without spending any money, although I wouldn't call it liberating or anything, more like ravishing.

Hmm, what would it even be like to spend around 80 dollars a day on frivolous shit? Jesus, just looking it up, assuming she were to spend that amount 5 days a week, she spends more on coffee, breakfast, lunch and dinner than I make in a whole month.

I should shoot her an email to come live with me for a week, with my life lessons and her income she could be a billionaire in no time.

You make less than $400 a month? Jesus, what a sad life you must have. I make about $1200 a month and I feel like I'm in the poorhouse. You on disability or something?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
minor effort said:
Is Huffington Post some elaborate parody site devised to emulate the most smug, self-satisfied stereotypes of American liberals?

If so, well done.

Minor Effort SLAMS Huffington Post on NeoGAF Forums.

mAcOdIn

Aselith said:
You make less than $400 a month? Jesus, what a sad life you must have. I make about $1200 a month and I feel like I'm in the poorhouse. You on disability or something?
No, 80 dollars a day, 5 work days in a week, so we're up to 400 bucks, then 4 weeks in a month comes to 1600 a month. I average about 1300-1400 a month, although this summer overtime is going to become the norm so I'll have a chance to stash some money away for once.

Edit: Shit, sorry, I see, I never put the word "month" in there when talking about her expenditures. I had trouble figuring out how to word that sentence and I still fucked it up, I was meaning to express 80 a day, 5 days a week, 4 weeks in a month but since I worded it wrong it looks like I'm comparing a week of her expenditures to a month of my pay.

My bad.

So, the HuffPo is branching out into satire... no, wait, really, it's real? These fucking guys.

DennisK4 said:
Her name even reads like somthing from the Onion - "Alexa von Tobel" :lol

I was just thinking this. :lol

Dacvak said:
If this chick is hot, I'm going to hate-fuck her.

What a bitch.

Alexa-Von-Tobel.jpg

californication.jpg

abq

Well played, von Tobel. Well played. She should ditch the private finance for women thing and start a site teaching women the art of subtle trolling instead.

I work a camp job, so for three weeks at a time I am pulled away from society and do nothing but work/eat/sleep.

While I am up here I incur no costs (other then the inevitable bills like my mortgage/utilities/etc). It always feels good getting home after three weeks and knowing that I lived my life just fine without spending a single dime on anything frivolous or unnecessary. It is to the point now that when I do spend my money on anything that is not absolutely necessary (food/gas) I feel a sense of regret for hours or days at a time :lol

tl;dr I don't spend money for three weeks at a time, which has caused me to become quite frivolous (not that I wasn't already).

RustyNails said:
Alexa-Von-Tobel.jpg

She's a Harvard graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology, romance languages & literature, with Magna cum laude plus thesis on "Bhutan's development".

And she landed a job as an Analyst at a trading group right out of school. Yeah. So remember kiddies, your Psychology degree is not a waste. You can always end up as a big shot analyst at a financial firm.

I have a psychology degree and I sure as fuck couldn't get a job as an analyst in a financial firm. I guess the problem is that I never did a thesis on Bhutan's development.

Mad Max

Probably no one here has ever gone a day without spending any money though, electricity and water also cost money, food you bought earlier doesn't really count obviously, and even if you produced your own food you'd still have some expenses.

2San

Mad Max said:
Probably no one here has ever gone a day without spending any money though, electricity and water also cost money, food you bought earlier doesn't really count obviously, and even if you produced your own food you'd still have some expenses.
You know some people go camping. :eek:

eznark

Banned
minor effort said:

If so, well done.
The best pasrt is they don't even know it (except for the one or two awesome Larry David posts from its first month)

Dead Man

jamesinclair said:

I mean no disrespect to psychology majors....but how exactly did harvard prepare her to be an analyst in the "Proprietary Trading Group". She either fucked some very important people, or her rich dad called in a very large favor.
Yeah, I have a psych degree, and would have no idea what to do at a trading company. Methinks she or her dad sucked a lot of cock to get here she is.

Mad Max said:
Accruing bills =/= spending money.

Jacobi

Banned
RustyNails said:

If you are female and hot

Dead Man

Mad Max said:
So when you buy something with a CC, you're not spending money?
Nope. You are spending credit. And using electricity is not spending money. Paying the electricity bill is spending money.

Shanadeus

Banned
RustyNails said:
Alexa-Von-Tobel.jpg

Wait wat?
She doesn't even have a proper degree in Psychology and still landed a job as an fucking analyst?
Wonder who she fucked to land that job, or I guess her daddy might have helped her.

Mad Max

idahoblue said:
Nope. You are spending credit. And using electricity is not spending money. Paying the electricity bill is spending money.

You are still spending money, you're just suspending the time you have to pay for it.

Dorrin

jamesinclair said:

Yep its amazing isn't it? I'd love to know more about her family connections. It is all about who you know. Checkout this article about her company:

http://postcards.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2010/04/02/women-and-finance-a-hot-market-to-tap/

Also as a side note there are men and women who work miracles with budgets each and every day, not only for just themselves but for an entire family. This lady is proud of one day.. disgusting. I will say though she reminds me of some of the women I see out in the corporate world, got the morning latte, the designer clothes, the mandatory fake blonde highlights when you hit 30 etc. I bet this one day challenge would be hard for them as well so maybe she does have an audience, vomit inducing as it is.

Mad Max

idahoblue said:
Yep, but using the card is not.

It is, you borrow somebody else's money and you use it to buy something for yourself, so while you're not directly spending your own money, you're still spending money that you have to pay back within a certain time.

Dead Man

Mad Max said:
It is, you borrow somebody else's money and you use it to buy something for yourself, so while you're not directly spending your own money, you're still spending money that you have to pay back within a certain time.
We'll agree to disagree.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Neo C. said:
Remember how the french revolution began? With a bitchy comment from a rich bitch.
Could someone flesh out this story? I'm interested to read more about this.

Shanadeus

Banned
Vic said:
Something Marie Antoinette said:
"Let them eat cake" is the traditional translation of the French phrase "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche", supposedly said by a French princess upon learning that the peasants had no bread. As brioche is a luxury bread enriched with eggs and butter, it would reflect the princess's obliviousness to the nature of a famine.
Though it's not certain she said it to begin with.

Tacitus_

Vic said:

"Let them eat cake" is the traditional translation of the French phrase "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche", supposedly said by a French princess upon learning that the peasants had no bread. As brioche is a luxury bread enriched with eggs and butter, it would reflect the princess's obliviousness to the nature of a famine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom