• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman texted "driving drunk woo" just before fatal crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ugh. Why does the drunken idiot always end up surviving in these cases? It makes you afraid to go outside because you could be killed at any time by someone who made a really stupid decision.

And she pleaded not guilty? Really? Seriously? Throw away the key.

At least the guy she hit survived. Usually you see cases like this and the person who was hit dies instead.

Tenebrous

Reminds me of this

naavONo.jpg

He died that night http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/09/19/aspiring-rapper-drunk-tweets-yolo-just-before-fatal-car-crash/

Can I say good without sounding like a twatbag? What an idiot... Better him than some kid.

Maedre

Banned
Everytime I hear of these incidents where there is a horrible accident involving drunk driving-the actual drunk driver seems to live but others die. It seems so unfair.

Twice the legal limit.

Yeah, sure. I don't want to defend her actions, but 0.178 per mile is not really so much that you lose controll. On the other side don't text and drive. And don't drink and drive period.

Slayven

Ugh. Why does the drunken idiot always end up surviving in these cases? It makes you afraid to go outside because you could be killed at any time by someone who made a really stupid decision.

And she pleaded not guilty? Really? Seriously? Throw away the key.

At least the guy she hit survived. Usually you see cases like this and the person who was hit dies instead.

Isn't it because their bodies are slow to react so they don't tense up at impact?

darscot

I hope you never drive when you "aren't drunk".

I'm not condoning drinking and driving, I think his point is she was not out of her mind drunk. I'm fairly confident I could hide .178, I actually know I could. She was too drunk to be behind the wheel but that level is not pissed or anything.

Fury451

Banned
Isn't it because their bodies are slow to react so they don't tense up at impact?

Yes, the muscles are looser and more relaxed preventing injury in the traditional ways.

I'm not condoning drinking and driving, I think his point is she was not out of her mind drunk. I'm fairly confident I could hide .178, I actually know I could. She was too drunk to be behind the wheel but that level is not pissed or anything.

Depends on her height, weight, metabolism. Plus being a female, alcohol processes differently.

You said it already, she was too drunk to be behind the wheel, which is the issue here.

"I'll be dead thanks to you". I'm confused, was she fighting with her boyfriend or something?

Seems they were fighting through text so it was a snarky message that she sent back. "I'm drunk driving while texting you, you asshole. If I die it's your fault." - that type of thing.

Z_Y

Let this be a lesson in bad OPing as well. Look at this confusion you started, OP. Poor article quoting.

Dalek

Let this be a lesson in bad OPing as well. Look at this confusion you started, OP. Poor article quoting.

UGH. I tried. Mods have locked my threads in the past if I post the whole article, but I just edited a bit.

Anyone driving under the influence are some of the most selfish, shittiest people.

Speeding leads to more accidents than driving under the influence, yet we have endless threads on here created by people defending their right to speed. This woman claiming not guilty is no different to me than people who think it's fine for them to speed.

They're both horrific and indefensible.

The lesson to read the article in its entirety (it is very, very short) is always active on GAF. First page is full of people just reacting to the OP title and it's depressing.

Dalek

Speeding leads to more accidents than driving under the influence, yet we have endless threads on here created by people defending their right to speed. This woman claiming not guilty is no different to me than people who think it's fine for them to speed.

They're both horrific and indefensible.

It's always "I know how to drive better than anyone else on the road, so I should be allowed to speed!"

Ugh. Why does the drunken idiot always end up surviving in these cases?

Usually the drunk person is hitting the target head on. Car makers have spent billions of dollars improving the safety of frontal accidents. If you're hit on the side there's far less to "cushion" the impact and you're taking the full brunt of the hit.

Acute alcohol toxicity has also shown to inhibit some of the physiological responses that can cause death from trauma. Chronic alcoholics who have liver damage are far less likely to heal after the acute trauma danger has subsided though.

Z_Y

UGH. I tried. Mods have locked my threads in the past if I post the whole article, but I just edited a bit.

Just giving you a hard time. I have to. It's in the NeoGAF TOS.

The lesson to read the article in its entirety (it is very, very short) is always active on GAF. First page is full of people just reacting to the OP title and it's depressing.

it wasn't just the title. The quotes made it seem like the guy in the truck died.

Driving drunk and texting at the same time. SMH. Throw the book at her and keep her locked up for a very long time.

I think rehabilitating her alongside a severe punishment aside from jail would be more productive than throwing her in jail and creating another mentally unstable individual for society to deal with when she comes out of jail. And hence costing us more money in the end.

Edit: Misread - she's not in crit condition but still I'm more on rehabilitation as a long term fix than jail in this case

Related to this: Wasn't there a guy who drunk texted yolo and ended up smashed into a wall a few years back?

Trigonx

Can I say good without sounding like a twatbag? What an idiot... Better him than some kid.

In the article linked.
In fact, Ontario police says that McKinness’ friend Jonathan Watson, 21, was actually the driver, according to the Huffington Post. Police told the Sun it’s still too early to say whether the crash was a result of drunken driving.

"YOLO" indeed... Thank goodness he didn't take anyone with him.

Unfortunately the driver took out four friends with him.

Skeyser

Honestly the passenger is just as much responsible as the driver in cases like these. Not only did she willingly get on board with someone she had to know was drunk, but also didn't do anything to stop her.

entremet

Uh. Most people read the OP. The injunction is to read OP not the article.

It's actually very concise. The OP just needed to pick better quotes. That's all.

As the thread starter that's why you put the most important info in the OP.

It's kinda confusing.

But no harm, no foul really.

Allforce

Yeah, sure. I don't want to defend her actions, but 0.178 per mile is not really so much that you lose controll. On the other side don't text and drive. And don't drink and drive period.

What in the world are you talking about? 0.178 isn't the fucking SPEED she was going, it was her blood-alcohol level.

rbanke

I love cars, I love driving, but I will fully welcome a world of self driving cars. Two of todays move dangerous acts while driving spectacularly combined to end someone's life for no reason. People will never stop driving under the influence, they will always believe they are a good enough driver to text while doing so, they will always put on makeup, eat breakfast, do the crossword, etc on their morning commute. The only way this is going to be a thing of the past is to stop people from having to do the driving themselves. Such a shame at 22 to throw her life and her friend's life (and nearly the other driver's life) away.

Montresor

Why did the passenger die?

Was she wearing a seatbelt?

Makes me sad to think about this. I'd expect the other part of a t-bone collision (I.E. the truck) to be most susceptible to fatalities, right?...

2 hours later though was when she took the breathalyzer. Also have fun hiding the smell of your breath depending on what you were drinking. I had a DUI when I was in my early 20's, and blew a .22 about 30 mins after being pulled over...and I was in absolutely no position to drive. Double vision and the whole nine.

I love cars, I love driving, but I will fully welcome a world of self driving cars. Two of todays move dangerous acts while driving spectacularly combined to end someone's life for no reason. People will never stop driving under the influence, they will always believe they are a good enough driver to text while doing so, they will always put on makeup, eat breakfast, do the crossword, etc on their morning commute. The only way this is going to be a thing of the past is to stop people from having to do the driving themselves. Such a shame at 22 to throw her life and her friend's life (and nearly the other driver's life) away.

Yeah, I'll feel more safe when robots are driving us around, seriously. Of course, can you imagine the first time a computer-driven car gets in an accident? Even if total fatalities have plummeted, it'll be the most sensationalized news story in decades, all about how the computers are trying to kill is.

Allforce

Might want to keep things more civilized when you're the idiot who can't read, he's not talking about her speed.

Are you serious? I even quoted the guy and this is the 2nd time he's referred to the 0.178 number in the context of "not going that fast".

Reset

At first I thought she was the one who ended up dying and I was going to say good but seeing that she's still alive lock her up for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom