• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Women bloggers call for a stop to 'hateful' trolling by misogynist men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
For relevance to this forum, think of all of the women that have been involved in the game industry and how they've been treated on here.
Ah, how can anyone forget about the lovely Jade Raymond comic, and people laughing at it on here...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Devolution said:
Since we know she used the wrong term can we discuss it like we read the damn article and know what she's getting at or is that asking too much?
Well I tried, but apparently she's butthurt.tiff and should just dealwithit.gif according to most posters and thus this thread is already dead.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
People always make the "lol, its the internet, that's why every GAF thread about any woman is filled with fifty posts saying 'would'", with the implication that the internet is "less real" and therefore such reactions aren't sexist. But if the internet is where we throw off inhibitions behind anonymity, then I find it kind of scary what is revealed.

TommyT

Devolution said:
It was a general question, I'm sorry if it sounded like it was directed at you. Just my frustration at the scores of posts talking about how she used trolling wrong, hand waving the real issue at hand here.

The frustration is understandable, but please don't just jump down someone's throat because they have a common linkage to the people that are causing the grief: a penis.

Devolution said:
What are you talking about?

Eh... was an attempt to try to bring you back down to calmed-down-ville. Articles like this leading to "all men are misogynists" type of actions/responses would only end with bitter irony as it would end up breeding what it's trying to prevent. So disregard? :D

edit: And I understand that the article pinpoints a certain group, just not wanting it to lead to a general view.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Jade Raymond is so awesome. She created one of my favorite franchises this generation. And Roberta Williams with King's Quest.

scar tissue said:
Well, I sure am glad she is more mature than those misogynistic men.

Well how else should she describe them? Well adjusted males who are happy in their lives and secure in their masculinity and actually get laid so they don't feel the need to attack women on the internet. Is that better?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
You can't discuss female objectification or misogynism on GAF without it turning to utter shit. See the thread about Jessica Watson and her elevator encounter.

VelvetMouth said:
Well how else should she describe them? Well adjusted males who are happy in their lives and secure in their masculinity and actually get laid so they don't feel the need to attack women on the internet. Is that better?

She probably already has, there's only so many times you can explain away that behavior before you just start referring to them as various kinds of assholes.

Devolution said:
She probably already has, there's only so many times you can explain away that behavior before you just start referring to them as various kinds of assholes.

What are you a White Knight!?! She's not going to have sex with you for defending her you know.

squidyj

reposting this as I don't think it's going to be read as an edit on the previous page.

As for the article, first of all it's not describing me so "I aint even mad" and secondly I wonder what the actual intent for this article is. Acknowledging the realities of the situation, where can we even go from here? Legislation would seem to me to be difficult to enforce without granting certain freedoms that would tend to chill legitimate discussion on the internet. The trolls/flamers aren't going to stop trolling/flaming just because someone pointed out that what they are doing is wrong (when has that EVER worked? seriously). I suppose the intent could be to create and later on maintain public awareness of this issue although I'm still not entirely sure what that would accomplish. It's an interesting article that represents what a lot of people already know but it seems to leave a sense of "yes, and?"

The only thing I will take as a bone of contention in the article though is the use of the Psychotherapist to 'ask questions' that seem to be more about defining the narrative of the issue than necessarily doing the work to properly understand the motivations of these people.

I'm neither well-adjusted nor getting laid but I don't troll around the internet looking to make sexual threats against women who have opinions or associate the worth of said opinions with their attractiveness. I don't mean to give props to myself I'm just trying to say that it's not always what you think it is. It might make sense to you but that doesn't mean it's the best way to understand what's going on.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Rikyfree said:
Just some skanks on their period.

lolz
Did you really just post that? Did you really just post "lolz"? Dear me this thread is getting worse and worse.

the chris

ReBurn said:
Jade Raymond is so awesome. She created one of my favorite franchises this generation. And Roberta Williams with King's Quest.
Amy Hennig did a kickass job on both the Legacy of Kain and Uncharted series too.

VelvetMouth said:
What are you a White Knight!?! She's not going to have sex with you for defending her you know.

Hell yeah this is me.

9170e05a59f4548294c99341a12ebb49_1M.png

VelvetMouth said:
Dunno, now that you put it that way...

Still, I can understand men being frustrated and lashing out. Being a man is hard and feminists always make it seem like it's women who have all the problems.
(in b4 herp derp firstworldproblems)

The Technomancer

Devolution said:
She's being sarcastic. She just knows I get called that.
I almost bought it except for the !?. That tipped me off

scar tissue said:

Still, I can understand men being frustrated and lashing out. Being a man is hard and feminists always make it seem like it's women who have all the problems.
There are several ways to take this apart. You're not entirely wrong, but you're not right either.

Its one of my firm beliefs that everyone has problems, and people who make a cause out of helping just one group tend to annoy me. With that said, "being a woman is hard, and men always make it seem like men have all the problems" is equally accurate. And yet female-on-male rage trolling isn't exactly common...

Satch

Banned
BGBW said:
Did you really just post that? Did you really just post "lolz"? Dear me this thread is getting worse and worse.
Ideally, this would turn out like the thread with the lesbian couple that postponed puberty for their son.

leadbelly

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
People always make the "lol, its the internet, that's why every GAF thread about any woman is filled with fifty posts saying 'would'", with the implication that the internet is "less real" and therefore such reactions aren't sexist. But if the internet is where we throw off inhibitions behind anonymity, then I find it kind of scary what is revealed.

Yeah, it's terrible the sort of hate they get, but it doesn't really take into account that a lot of people in the public eye get hate mail. Obviously the gist of those emails is going to be different, but some can be just as hateful. That is terrible also.

The truth is, there are a lot of idiots on the net, just as there are in real life. I don't think personally it is a result of the way women are 'sexually objectified' or 'discriminated' within society as a whole.

Cyan

Banned
squidyj said:
Legislation would seem to me to be difficult to enforce without granting certain freedoms that would tend to chill legitimate discussion on the internet. The trolls/flamers aren't going to stop trolling/flaming just because someone pointed out that what they are doing is wrong (when has that EVER worked? seriously). I suppose the intent could be to create and later on maintain public awareness of this issue although I'm still not entirely sure what that would accomplish. It's an interesting article that represents what a lot of people already know but it seems to leave a sense of "yes, and?"
I think public awareness is the idea, yes. If more people understood not only that this happens, but that it's an actual problem, it might actually curb some of it. The fact that people who do this get laughs and only a small amount of social disapproval does exacerbate things.

Trolls gonna troll, but without people egging them on or tacitly supporting them, will there be as many trolls? I think that's the idea here.

7Th

Devolution said:
Since we know she used the wrong term can we discuss it like we read the damn article and know what she's getting at or is that asking too much?

Is there anything to discuss? She won't gain anything by telling flamers to stop flaming, they will just flame her more. That's all there is with this discussion. In a largely unregulated system where anonymity is the norm you can't not expect flamers. What else can be said?

Bluth

scar tissue said:

:lol Men's lives being hard in no way excuses this behavior. I've never heard a feminist say it's only women who have problems.

the chris

Satchwar said:
Ideally, this would turn out like the thread with the lesbian couple that postponed puberty for their son.
Does that mean I'm going to be banned for posting in this thread that I liked Amy Henning's work?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
squidyj said:
This is absolutely not a sweeping generalization or oversimplification in any way at all ever.
This. I'm sure it's discouraging and unnerving getting five mostly empty rape threats a day in your email inbox, but I don't like the implication that only women get sent violent threats, and I don't like the extrapolation that women aren't taken seriously unless they're hot....or because they're not, or whatever. Women still have an uphill battle in some areas, but I have yet to see a convincing argument that women "just can't make it" because they're nothing but sexualized objects whom no one takes seriously, this article included. It's a bullshit generalization. If she wanted to address specifically the issue of violent and misogynistic threats to female columnists from anonymous internet fuckwads, which no one can deny is a problem, I'd take this article more seriously.

7Th said:
Is there anything to discuss? She won't gain anything by telling flamers to stop flaming, they will just flame her more. That's all there is with this discussion. In a largely unregulated system where anonymity is the norm you can't not expect flamers. What else can be said?

Well it's not like GAF is the epitome of respect for women, so it can certainly start to get better elsewhere that's not so anonymous.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
scar tissue said:

'being' is hard regardless, but one shouldn't feel threatened that others are voicing their problems and make it a us vs them kind of conflict. that's just counter-productive to everyone involved. being accosted with threats of violence randomly by strangers is a problem worth talking about and one worth tackling, it shouldn't be met with dismissive remarks about how 'everyone gets shit on the internet'.

7Th

Cyan said:
I think public awareness is the idea, yes. If more people understood not only that this happens, but that it's an actual problem, it might actually curb some of it. The fact that people who do this get laughs and only a small amount of social disapproval does exacerbate things.

Trolls gonna troll, but without people egging them on or tacitly supporting them, will there be as many trolls? I think that's the idea here.

The public awareness of flaming exists, it just won't change anything. Remember: we're talking about people that flame MEMORIAL FACEBOOK PROFILES monthly and get called "sick and disturbing individuals" in national TV.

squidyj

demon said:
This. I'm sure it's discouraging and unnerving getting five mostly empty rape threats a day in your email inbox, but I don't like the implication that only women get sent violent threats, and I don't like the extrapolation that women aren't taken seriously unless they're hot....or because they're hot, or whatever. Women still have an uphill battle in some areas, but I have yet to see a convincing argument that women "just can't make it" because they're nothing but sexualized objects whom no one takes seriously, this article included. It's a bullshit generalization. If she wanted to address specifically the issue of violent and misogynistic threats to female columnists from anonymous internet fuckwads, which no one can deny is a problem, I'd take this article more seriously.

I really should have edited to make clear that I was responding specifically to the comic posted earlier.

Bluth said:
:lol Men's lives being hard in no way excuses this behavior. I've never heard a feminist say it's only women who have problems.
I didn't say it excuses it, but it explains where they're coming from.
And yeah, I've had feminists tell me in person that "men have problems too, but women's problems are greater by several orders of magnitude so they aren't even comparable."

The Technomancer

Brobzoid said:
'being' is hard regardless, but one shouldn't feel threatened that others are voicing their problems and making it a us vs them kind of conflict. that's just counter-productive to everyone involved. being accosted with threats of violence randomly by strangers is a problem worth talking about and one worth tackling, it shouldn't be met with dismissive remarks about how 'everyone gets shit on the internet'.
That's how humanity tends to handle all of its problems. I've met a fair number of feminists (not most, or even many, but they do exist) who take energy from framing things as "us vs them" as well

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
SRG01 said:
Now here's an interesting debate: whether true or false, do defamation and slander, along with other hate speech, fall under free speech?
As long as they're part of your moral convictions, some think they should be protected speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom