• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Women's March on Washington |OT| An intersectional march for all in 600+ cities

Status
Not open for further replies.
xLmKNDe.png

Women's March on Washington | Saturday, January 21, 2017 | 615 Sister Marches

THE MAIN EVENT
The Women’s March on Washington is a grassroots effort comprised of dozens of independent coordinators at the state level. The effort is helmed by four national co-chairs and a national coordinating committee who are working around the clock to pull it all together.

Date and Time: Saturday, January 21, 2017. Rally begins at 10:00am and ends at 1:15pm. We will begin marching at 1:15pm.

Location: The starting point and rally will be the intersection of Independence Avenue and SW Third Street, Washington DC, near the U.S. Capitol (see map below).

Tolentino_The_Somehow_Controversial_Womens_Marchon_Wa.jpg

SISTER MARCHES
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Miami
Atlanta
Houston
NYC
Charlotte
Las Vegas
New Orleans
and MORE

IMG_7461.jpg

IMG_7462.jpg

INTERNATIONAL
Cape Town
Mexico City
London
Rio de Janiero
Toronto
Tokyo
and MORE!

The Official Policy Platform

MISSION STATEMENT
We stand together in solidarity with our partners and children for the protection of our rights, our safety, our health, and our families - recognizing that our vibrant and diverse communities are the strength of our country.

OUR MISSION

The rhetoric of the past election cycle has insulted, demonized, and threatened many of us - immigrants of all statuses, Muslims and those of diverse religious faiths, people who identify as LGBTQIA, Native people, Black and Brown people, people with disabilities, survivors of sexual assault - and our communities are hurting and scared. We are confronted with the question of how to move forward in the face of national and international concern and fear.

In the spirit of democracy and honoring the champions of human rights, dignity, and justice who have come before us, we join in diversity to show our presence in numbers too great to ignore. The Women’s March on Washington will send a bold message to our new government on their first day in office, and to the world that women's rights are human rights. We stand together, recognizing that defending the most marginalized among us is defending all of us.

We support the advocacy and resistance movements that reflect our multiple and intersecting identities. We call on all defenders of human rights to join us. This march is the first step towards unifying our communities, grounded in new relationships, to create change from the grassroots level up. We will not rest until women have parity and equity at all levels of leadership in society. We work peacefully while recognizing there is no true peace without justice and equity for all.

HEAR OUR VOICE.

THE SPEAKERS
Cecile Richards, president of Planned Parenthood Federation of America
Sophie Cruz, who gave Pope Francis a letter advocating for immigrant rights
Janet Mock, author, LGBTQ activist, and television host
America Ferrera, actress
Angela Davis, civil rights activist and feminist scholar
Gloria Steinem, feminist activist and author
Ashley Judd, actress and activist
Scarlett Johansson, actress
Melissa Harris-Perry, writer, political scholar, and television host
Randi Weingarten, president of the American Federation of Teachers
Van Jones, political commentator and author
Michael Moore, documentary filmmaker
Rhea Suh, president of the Natural Resources Defense Council
Muriel Bowser, mayor of Washington, D.C.
Ai-jen Poo, director of the National Domestic Workers Alliance
Erika Andiola, immigration activist and former Bernie Sanders campaign worker
Ilyasah Shabazz, activist and daughter of Malcolm X and Betty Shabazz
J. Bob Alotta, executive director of the Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice
LaDonna Harris, president of Americans for Indian Opportunity
Maryum Ali, gang prevention activist and daughter of Muhammad Ali
Melanie Campbell, president of the National Coalition on Black Civic Participation
Rabbi Sharon Brous, founder of the IKAR Jewish community in Los Angeles
Sister Simone Campbell, executive director of NETWORK Lobby for Catholic Social Justice
Zahra Billoo, executive director of the San Francisco chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations
Amanda Nguyen, president of Rise and advocate for sexual-assault survivors’ rights
George Gresham, labor organizer
Sybrina Fulton, Lucia McBath, Maria Hamilton, and Gwen Carr, four of the Mothers of the Movement
Hina Naveed, co-director of the DRM Action Coalition and immigration activist
Judith Le Blanc, director of the Native Organizers Alliance
Kristin Rowe-Finkbeiner, executive director of MomsRising
Aída Hurtado, intersectional feminist scholar and author
Melissa Mays, clean-water activist in Flint, Michigan
Raquel Willis, communications associate at the Transgender Law Center
Roslyn Brock, chair of the NAACP’s national board of directors
Sister Ieasha Prime, Islamic scholar and activist
Wendy Carrillo, Standing Rock activist and congressional candidate from California
Dr. Cynthia Hale, pastor
Tamika Mallory, Carmen Perez, Linda Sarsour, and Bob Bland Women’s March co-chairs

with performances by:
Janelle Monáe
Maxwell
Indigo Girls
Mary Chapin Carpenter
Toshi Reagon
Samantha Ronson
DJ Rekha
MC Lyte
Angelique Kidjo
Emily Wells
St. Beauty
Beverly Bond
Alia Sharief
DJ Rimarkable
Amber Coffman
Climbing PoeTree

WMW_HearOurVoice-450w.jpg

What's the story with the pro-life groups being kicked out? Seems like it goes against the message of unity in the face of someone like Trump.

Of course the march planned for Lansing is scheduled for when I need to sleep for my shift. Maybe I'll lose an hour to attend. It's literally three blocks from where I live.

edit: oh wait, I just realized this is planned for Saturday not Friday. I got this weekend off so I can definitely attend.

derdriu

What's the story with the pro-life groups being kicked out? Seems like it goes against the message of unity in the face of someone like Trump.

They're not being kicked out, they just don't have the partner status anymore as that was an error and because the Women’s March platform is pro-choice.
New wave Feminists believe womanhood was traded in for birth control pills, according to their site, and are against planned parenthood.

They can still take part, just not as a partner.

WedgeX

Banned
Going to the march in DC tomorrow. It should be in the high 50s with only a tiny chance of rain.

Useful information from the Washington Post:

Washington Post said:
D.C. police officers working Friday’s inauguration and Saturday’s Women’s March on Washington will have their body cameras turned off but must switch them on if they witness criminal behavior or interact with the public, according to already established department directives.

The reiteration of the policy by a department spokesman on Thursday eased some concerns on both sides of the lenses: among civil rights groups worried that cameras would be used to surveil demonstrators and among police who saw inaccurate reports that officers had been ordered to keep their body cameras turned off at all times.

In anticipation of demonstrations, several Washington law groups on Thursday said they will offer free legal assistance to demonstrators arrested during the events. Organizations including the National Lawyers Guild, the Partnership for Civil Justice Fund, D.C. Law Students in Court, and Law for Black Lives, D.C., plan to have lawyers, paralegals and other staff members on call and have established a hotline.

Media

New Mexico stays winning I guess. March in freaking Ft. Sumner of all places but not one near me in Illinois where I have like 30x the population lol

Edit: Though since I grew up in that area, I imagine there are going to be six people marching and a bunch of jerks yelling at them.

Exile20

Apparently Women's March on Washington ordered far more buses than the people actually going to the inauguration.

Aizo

Banned
I went to the Tokyo one tonight. We had 4 times the number of participants than what was anticipated.

Greddleok

Only where people don't get bent out of shape about PC

I laugh when people call me African American. I tell them to just say black. My daughter, who is 10, preferrs brown.

Fair enough, I always thought black was OK, but brown was offensive. Learn something new all the time.

I guess it changes with what people want to be called, how like "coloured" is offensive, but "of colour" is OK. Seems weird to me but I don't know anything so there's no point in questioning it.

Arkeband

Banned

That's like asking why a BLM march would disclude the KKK.

No one is pro-abortion. Abortions will always continue to happen regardless of legality. Pro-life groups seek to criminalize the need for this uncommon medical procedure, even in instances where the life of the woman is at risk or in instances of rape. So therefore, pro-life groups are anti-woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom