• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Women's March on Washington |OT| An intersectional march for all in 600+ cities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So I've got someone in work telling me that the organise of the women's march is tweeting that they are pro Sharia Law?

She is just one of many co-chairs for the organization.

https://www.womensmarch.com/team/

It sounded like #fakenews so I looked into it a bit, and there is this:

https://twitter.com/lsarsour/status/116922589967949824

But I'm not sure of the context of that conversation, so I might be missing something.

"People just know the basics" which are bad enough lol.

I can't find what she was replying to, but I don't think there is really any wiggle room with what she said. It's crazy that someone this into women's rights movement's can be indoctrinated enough to think these backward ass rules don't run counter to their other beliefs.

Edit: Oh fuck she's actually a nut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k13UXsMnHn0
https://twitter.com/lsarsour/status/200052719178883073

Lyn

Banned
I can't find what she was replying to, but I don't think there is really any wiggle room with what she said. It's crazy that someone this into women's rights movement's can be indoctrinated enough to think these backward ass rules don't run counter to their other beliefs.

She is certainly an organizer that confuses me. If she supports Sharia Law, that is certainly her right. It feels like her ideals conflict a great deal with this march though based on her tweets. Here she is suggesting the fact that women can't drive is no big deal because they get good maternity leave.

https://mobile.twitter.com/lsarsour/status/534073703588700160

Again, not going to go after her directly for her beliefs, but it certainly seems counterintuitive to the march. I'm guessing most of the women who attended had to drive themselves there or to the airport. Mobility is kind of a big deal for women's freedom.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Here she is suggesting the fact that women can't drive is no big deal because they get good maternity leave.

cllU62s.gif

Izayoi

Banned
She is one person in a movement of millions, but yes, her point of view is troubling... to say the least.

Sharia Law is inherently patriarchal, there's no way around it. Cognitive dissonance?

Where did this originate and where is your friend from? I notice this kind of sentiment from people from other countries where their women's rights are far less than America (which they view as entitled). This is also the narrative pushed by republicans.

Similarly, how do you respond to them pushing that the leader/one of the key organizers of the march supports Sharia Law?

There is a tweet from one of them that says something to the effect that Sharia Law is reasonable (or something) and that most of society just understands the basics of it.

I assume that her version of Sharia Law isn't the same as what most others think of, but all I did was google her name + Sharia Law and there is a crazy number of hits/sites reporting it. I'm personally curious about her tweet myself, but it's been engulfed as a way to invalidate the march, as I assume republicans/Trump supporters can't stand to admit that their party are wanting to hurt women.

I don't know about the organizer you're talking about, but you can always link to the Women's March policy platform.

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...Guiding+Vision+&+Definition+of+Principles.pdf

Anybody in here that did the march? Weird question, but how did any of you feel protesting? Were you excited, nervous, a little uncomfortable, confident? I always had this image of the brave protestor (it is a brave thing to do), but I also imagine that a person has to get out of their comfort zone a little to do a public protest for the first time. I know I would for a protest as big and serious as this one.

WedgeX

Banned
That's the message.

Excellent.

Anybody in here that did the march? Weird question, but how did any of you feel protesting? Were you excited, nervous, a little uncomfortable, confident? I always had this image of the brave protestor (it is a brave thing to do), but I also imagine that a person has to get out of their comfort zone a little to do a public protest for the first time. I know I would for a protest as big and serious as this one.

I'm an introvert. And there is definitely some hesitation when contemplating a protest or march. But once there, it's all gone. Joining with others who care deeply about the same thing and, in the cases of three fourths or so of the protests I've been at, are extremely nice is an overwhelmingly positive feeling. Chanting and marching is a bit of liberation. Only time I have ever been nervous is when staring at a hostile line of police who are armed with wooden clubs.

JP_

Banned

Until you're more comfortable, you can just walk with them and add to the crowd. Can start bringing signs and chanting when you're comfortable. Starts to come natural.

Eidan

I felt fine. Happy to see such a great turn out and be around so many people who felt as passionate about these issues as I do. It's a great environment honestly.

Thanks for the responses! I've been part of a few protests myself (for equal treatment for autistic and disabled people), but not even close to the scale of this. Public protesting was a little awkward for me at first, but maybe that's because I'm autistic and social dynamics are different for me.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Thanks for the responses! I've been part of a few protests myself (for equal treatment for autistic and disabled people), but not even close to the scale of this. Public protesting was a little awkward for me at first, but maybe that's because I'm autistic and social dynamics are different for me.

Maybe you could make a thread sometime about the issues with treatment of folks with autism. I'm fairly ignorant to the specific issues you may face on a day to day basis and what needs to change.

Same here. Have aspergers and social anxiety is definitely one of the reasons I'm hesitant to go protest even though I would have loved to take part yesterday. Never have done any protesting before

Same here. Have aspergers and social anxiety is definitely one of the reasons I'm hesitant to go protest even though I would have loved to take part yesterday. Never have done any protesting before

I definitely have anxiety. I'm the type of person who finds a corner to stay in during a party, but I showed up alone to volunteer for Saturday's march because fuck Trump and fuck Republicans!

She is certainly an organizer that confuses me. If she supports Sharia Law, that is certainly her right. It feels like her ideals conflict a great deal with this march though based on her tweets. Here she is suggesting the fact that women can't drive is no big deal because they get good maternity leave.

Again, not going to go after her directly for her beliefs, but it certainly seems counterintuitive to the march. I'm guessing most of the women who attended had to drive themselves there or to the airport. Mobility is kind of a big deal for women's freedom.
Every Muslim supports Shariah. It is ridiculous to say they do not support it. Every single practicing Muslim abides by the Shariah in every single part of their lives. 95% of Shariah deals with Islamic things regarding prayers, ritual hygiene, fasting, and host of other boring shit like inheritance laws, finance, marriage, divorce, birth, death, etc. People focus on the criminal code, or the Hudud part of the Shariah which where the stoning and stuff comes from. In fact, a traditional book on Fiqh (Islamic Jurispudence) has about 2% of it devoted to the subject while the rest on other stuff. There is a huge discourse on the applicability of the laws themselves. The "beyond reasonable doubt" never reaches it's conclusion. For example, you need four good, upstanding citizens of impeccable moral character to witness the act of penetration in order convict somebody of adultery. So much so that in a hadith, (prophet's sayings), someone asked Muhammad how close someone should be to be a sound witness. He said he had to witness "the snake entering the box". Meaning, even if you see someone on top of someone else, it's not enough. This caused the classical Muslim jurists huge confusion on the applicability of the law itself. What's the point if we can't overcome the threshold? This is nothing new. Hudud punishments were even highly discouraged by Prophet Muhammad himself. In applicability, the Hudud laws only served as deterrent and were rarely applied.
The Muslim judges who applied the rules of fiqh also took the command of the Prophet ﷺ to ward off the Hudud by ambiguities as a divine command. All indications are that the Hudud punishments were very rarely carried out historically. A Scottish doctor working in Aleppo in the mid 1700's observed that there were only six public executions in twenty years. Theft was rare, he observed, and when it occurred it was punished by bastinado.[48] A famous British scholar of Arabic in Egypt in the mid 1800's reported that the Hudud punishment for theft had not been inflicted in recent memory.[49] In the roughly five hundred years that the Ottoman Empire ruled Constantinople, records show that only one instance of stoning for adultery took place (contrast this with colonial America/USA, where over fifty people were executed for various sexual crimes between 1608 and 1785).[50]

Jurists' theories of far-fetched ambiguities found real life application. A Muslim woman in India in the late 1500's whose husband had died in battle was suddenly found to be pregnant and was accused of fornication. She claimed that her husband had been miraculously brought back to life every Friday night, when he would visit her. Jurists of India's predominant Hanafi school of law were consulted on the case and replied that it was indeed technically possible for such a miracle to have occurred.[51]

The concept of non-invasiveness (i.e., avoiding tajassus) and covering up faults (satr) also became real practices. Wine drinking, fornication, prostitution and homosexuality became widespread in medieval Islamic civilization. Yet Muslim scholars could do little more than complain about this.[52] One scholar in Mughal India himself strayed into wonton ways, taking up womanizing and throwing drinking parties. When the market police climbed over the wall of his house to break up one such party he reprimanded them by reminding them of the caliph Umar's lapse. The police left the scholar's house in shame (the scholar later reformed himself, reports his biographer).[53]

Instances in which thieves did have their hands cut off were shocking to local populations. The famous Moroccan scholar and traveler Ibn Battuta (d. circa 1366) recounts how, in Mecca, when a judicial official had ordered a young man's hand cut off for stealing, the youth later murdered that judge.[54] The Mughal emperor Akbar the Great (d. 1605) was furious when he found that his chief judge had carried out the execution of a man convicted of a Hudud offense, citing the principle of avoiding this through ambiguities. The judge fell from imperial favor and eventually died in exile.[55]

Read this by Jonathan AC Brown for more. Another quote
This immense allowance for ambiguities in ruling on sexual offenses can be seen most clearly in the Hanafi school of law, which was the official school of the Ottoman Empire. When prostitutes and their clients were caught, they were not tried for zinā due to the (admittedly outlandish) ambiguity that prostitution was structurally similar to marriage; both were exchanges of sexual access for money (in the case of marriage, the groom's dowry payment).[29] This is not because Muslim scholars had any sympathy for prostitution or a low regard for marriage, but rather because they hunted for any possible ambiguity to avoid implementing the Hudud.

Here's another Vox article
http://www.vox.com/2017/1/19/14327496/womens-march-largest-gathering-disability-community

The turnout to this far exceeded just women. It was for everyone that believes in equal rights.

mo60

To be fair, Ted Cruz (if that's who you're talking about) won the first time because absolutely no one showed up for his election I think, I saw it on the Rachel Maddow a while back.

Cruz did a lot worse in the 2012 senate election then his predecessor in her previous senate election

kendrid

Banned
C2y5wDyXEAIBRga.jpg

What does this mean? Guns don't have rights. I've forward it to liberal friends and none of us get it. I've searched for it and only found people making fun of it.

Necrovex

C2y5wDyXEAIBRga.jpg

What does this mean? Guns don't have rights. I've forward it to liberal friends and none of us get it. I've searched for it and only found people making fun of it.

Saw my sister's conservative friend make fun of this photos. I get she's trying to imply the Republican Party care more about the safety and protection of gun rights than women rights, but this poster does a mediocre job of stating such a message.

Saw my sister's conservative friend make fun of this photos. I get she's trying to imply the Republican Party care more about the safety and protection of gun rights than women rights, but this poster does a mediocre job of stating such a message.

Sadly, this sign seems to be what the conservative are deflecting too enmasse, to bill the march as a bunch of know nothing women with no real reason to protest.

tuxfool

Banned
Sadly, this sign seems to be what the conservative are deflecting too enmasse, to bill the march as a bunch of know nothing women with no real reason to protest.

Let them, their dumb asses wouldn't get it, no matter the sign. See also their sudden concern for women in the middle east and other whataboutisms.

Not

Banned

Dude, I help up my fucking "Women Deserve To Lead" sign as a six-foot-two-inch blonde white dude with my game face on the whole march. Felt like a million fucking bucks. I hope I helped to get a message across.

tuxfool

Banned
Well some of us dumb liberals don't get it either. It is a terrible sign.

The signs aren't necessarily meant to be taken literally. It is a pithy statement about the disproportionate time they spend defending the rights of gun owners but not the rights of cunt owners.

That was also a pun. Let me know if you understood that one.

kendrid

Banned
The signs aren't necessarily meant to be taken literally. It is a pithy statement about the disproportionate time they spend defending the rights of gun owners but not the rights of cunt owners.

That was also a pun. Let me know if you understood that one.

Condescending much? I was discussing this photo with a group of die hard liberals, men and women, and not one understood it.

The original author:
I don’t want to get caught up in the specifics of this joke and the horrible responses it got. It’s kind of pedestrian and obvious and stems from the unfortunately true fact that many women feel like guns are more valued than they are in society right now.

There are so many better ways to say "my rights are more important than your guns" than that terrible "joke".

tuxfool

Banned
Condescending much? I was discussing this photo with a group of die hard liberals, men and women, and not one understood it.
Not being able to understand jokes isn't limited to conservatives either.

There are so many better ways to say "my rights are more important than your guns" than that terrible "joke".

It is just a sign. I'd bet that there are even worse signs around.

Ewo

I marched on NYC and the main thing I can say is that it was really tiring. I was a bit uncomfortable and nervous throughout, but it was a lot better in the march than before it. But none of that really matters, because I was really glad to be there. Any time I could see the huge mass of people continue far in front of me was just incredible. At one point during the march, I saw a woman on the sidelines cheering and dancing to the chants of "Black Lives Matter". When the cheering petered out, she replied with "And they always have". Seeing her absolutely made my day.

Platy

It is because "I dream the day women's rights have more lobbies than guns have" or "politicians fight more for gun for everyone than reproductive rights" does not have the same ring to it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom