• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Women's March on Washington |OT| 10 Actions, 100 Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

10%20Actions%20100%20Days.png

Site: [url]https://www.womensmarch.com/100/[/URL]
Facebook Page: [url]https://www.facebook.com/womensmarchonwash/[/URL]

WIYmvSp.png

GAF OT: [url]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1341494[/URL]
Action 2 / 10 - February 1st, 2017

THE SECOND ACTION - www.womensmarch.com/100/action2

Huddle.png

First, we marched. Now, we Huddle. During the first 10 days of February, we will gather together in our neighborhoods all over the world to define our next steps, and envision how to transform the energy we saw at Women's Marches into local and national action.

THE NEXT UP HUDDLE GUIDE

Next Up Huddles are part of the 10 Actions for the First 100 Days campaign, which launched at the Women's March, and will mobilize millions to win back the country and world we want.

We'll visualize what a more democratic, just, safer and freer world could look like four years from now -- and we'll work backwards to figure out what we need to do, starting today, to get there. Huddles are meant to be positive, inclusive, action-oriented and productive.

You don't need to have done anything like this before to host a huddle. All you need is a small group of friends, family, neighbors and fellow marchers, this guide, and a space to meet. Your role as a host is a critical part of how we keep the Women's March spirit alive, build the movement beyond those who marched, and set a concrete plan of action.
WHAT YOU NEED TO GET STARTED

We've pulled together this guide, an agenda, and some basic tools for you to use at your huddle, but this is flexible! If you already know your group's next actions, or you're already planning on hosting a larger planning meeting, feel free to use, change or discard as much of this as you want.

- Pull together a group of 10-15 people for your huddle.
- Choose a location that can accommodate your group.
- Choose a date between February 1st-11th and register.
- Review suggestions for promoting your huddle.
- Register your huddle.
- Your Huddle Event Page on the map.
- Choose one person to be a meeting facilitator.
- Bring a printed or digital copy of this guide.
- Bring a computer or phone.
- Bring some post-its, pens and blank paper.

THE AGENDA & THE GOALS

Your Huddle doesn't need to last longer than 90 minutes, but can be as long as you want! Here's a quick overview of the agenda, with detailed facilitator notes below. Feel free to adjust the time that you allot to each activity or modify individual activities to fit your unique Huddle.

1. WELCOME EVERYBODY{0:10}
Introduce yourself, describe the Huddle goals and go over the agenda.

2. WATCH VIDEO {0:05}
Watch the video together with your group.

3. WHAT WE DID NEXT {0:20}
The group envisions what winning in 4 years looks like.

4. CAN'T STOP, WON'T STOP {0:30}
This is the part of the agenda where we discuss upcoming action opportunities.

5. GET INFORMATION {0:15}
Here's where we decide on our next steps, and agree to take on roles.

6. CLOSING WITH ACTION {0:10}
If you have extra time, write postcards to send to your senators. Have a stack ready for people to fill out at your Huddle and have one person offer to mail them.

GOAL 1 - To get to know each other and build a community of support with defined team roles that will continue to meet regularly for collective action in your area.
GOAL 2 - To envision what it will take to pick an issue you can tackle in the next 10 days, and ultimately mobilize our community to win back the country and world we want.
GOAL 3 - To define a set of actions and strategies that our group will pursue in the coming weeks and months.
Action 1 / 10 - January 22nd, 2017

THE FIRST ACTION - www.womensmarch.com/action1

Write a postcard to your Senators about what matters most to you - and how you're going to continue to fight for it in the days, weeks and months ahead. We're offering printable postcards for you to download.
I've never been so involved in the democratic process. I'm writing letters to every government official I can.

Here's a link to help people find the contact information.
Found this doc outlining things suggested things to do this week as well:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FKXcRFOg5VS-UjCyH2jmgRTm-sQY_PB65Gxo-rwMT6A/mobilebasic
It includes links to help one find their state reps' contact info.

Trurl

Banned
Yes,this is a great idea. It's also nice for those of us who live far away from cities and have trouble attending demonstrations.

Awesome!

But now I feel shitty because I no idea what the fuck I'd say to Ron Johnson

Tammy Baldwin I'd just say she's cool and keep up the good work

RoKKeR

This is good. This energy needs to continually be channeled towards actionable items such as this - hope to see it continue!

C.Mongler

Is it wrong/weird to do this to someone who isn't my Senator/Representative? I live in DC now and so I've waived my right to representation in Congress. While I wouldn't mind reaching out to Delegate Norton, I'd more or less be preaching to the choir, and she doesn't get a vote anyway.

Dear Senator Mitch,

I'm having some serious concerns about our new administration and I was hoping that you woul...sorry, couldn't keep it up. Go fuck yourself!

Sincerely,
Mariachi

I think that's about as far as I can get here in McConnelland. It would be nice to annoy him though if enough people acted on this. It might be worth it to send to Rand Paul. This is definitely a good and easy thing to do for people in some of the other districts.

Is it wrong/weird to do this to someone who isn't my Senator/Representative? I live in DC now and so I've waived my right to representation in Congress. While I wouldn't mind reaching out to Delegate Norton, I'd more or less be preaching to the choir, and she doesn't get a vote anyway.

I know the feeling.

WedgeX

Banned

I feel that we dems in DC....which is essentially the whole of the city...need to pick some Senators and Congresspeople concentrate on them. If they won't give us representatives, we'll pick our own to bug.

UberTag

Devote your focus where you feel it will make the biggest difference.
Whether they're your direct representative or not.

Real question; is there anything I can do as a Canadian citizen?
Get in touch with the march organizers in your area, thank them for their support and ask what you can do to help.
Most of the marches yesterday called attention to upcoming rallies/marches in their area.

This was not a one-time thing for most of these organizers. They have a lengthy history championing social causes.
Indigenous rights, in particular, will always be a hot button issue in Canada.

In terms of addressing the looming spectre of the Trump administration in the States, however... the best thing you can do is stay informed and encourage your friends, family and colleagues to do the same. Anything that happens south of the border can easily happen here whether it's in the guise of Kevin O'Leary or someone equally sinister.

RCSI

Awesome!

But now I feel shitty because I no idea what the fuck I'd say to Ron Johnson

Tammy Baldwin I'd just say she's cool and keep up the good work

I would write down what you care about and what you want to see changed even if your in area represented by some you think is doing a fine job.

Constructive feedback and your thoughts still matter to the governing of this nation.

I would write down what you care about and what you want to see changed even if your in area represented by some you think is doing a fine job.

Constructive feedback and your thoughts still matter to the governing of this nation.

Yeah, constant communication is essential regardless of how you feel they're doing.

Dear Senator Mitch,

I'm having some serious concerns about our new administration and I was hoping that you woul...sorry, couldn't keep it up. Go fuck yourself!

Sincerely,
Mariachi

I think that's about as far as I can get here in McConnelland. It would be nice to annoy him though if enough people acted on this. It might be worth it to send to Rand Paul. This is definitely a good and easy thing to do for people in some of the other districts.
No, it is a good thing for people in every district, no matter where in the US. Write them, have them hear your voice and have them worry about their reelection.

New002

Dear Senator Mitch,

Sincerely,
Mariachi

No, it is a good thing for people in every district, no matter where in the US. Write them, have them hear your voice and have them worry about their reelection.

Yup. I'd argue it's even more important in these areas where people think it's moot.

peter0611

Good stuff. I just contacted my senators online (Marco Rubio and Bill Nelson) but I plan to follow through with this as well.

S.Dedalus

Thanks for sharing this. I'm lazy and sometimes have weird issues with human interaction, so I would definitely prefer to send a letter or email. But now knowing that it's usually just a staffer who will answer the phone, and knowing that phone calls are the more effective methods is very helpful. I'm also going to be a more vigilant lookout for town halls and other face-to-face opportunities for sure.

Also...the tweeter quoted in this article says it's most effective to send mail to the local (state) offices versus the DC locations. But the tool on the Women's March page only lists the DC addresses, and at first glance, that's all that's displayed on my senators' websites as well. Anyone know of a way to find out the addresses for congressfolks' local district offices?

Dear Senator Mitch,

Sincerely,
Mariachi

Rand Paul voted against repeal the ACA before replacing it, that's a positive thing that should be rewarded, IMO.

BTW, here at the Louisville rally, I saw this on a sign: http://www.motherjones.com/files/Screen Shot 2013-09-23 at 3.50.48 PM.png

SilentRob

I absolutely cannot believe how well organised this protest was during the march itself and now even after it is done. All coming from a Facebook group gone viral. Pretty amazing.

Ok, I need some help. I am seeing this as the narrative they are going to spin against the amazing women and the march, but its popping up all over my social media. Any good counter to the notion that the marchers left all their trash and signage all over the city?

Ultryx

I've never been so involved in the democratic process. I'm writing letters to every government official I can.

Here's a link to help people find the contact information.

Izayoi

Banned
Ok, I need some help. I am seeing this as the narrative they are going to spin against the amazing women and the march, but its popping up all over my social media. Any good counter to the notion that the marchers left all their trash and signage all over the city?
When you have 100k+ people in one place, trash is inevitable.

They are being intentionally disingenuous. Do not engage them.

you ignore them because they are grasping at straws

That's it is the pathetic excuse the republicans stoop to when there is no pictures of anarchists to spin the protests as riots

So in other words, just ignore it

UberTag

That certainly wasn't the case with the Toronto march. The organizers made an explicit point of advising everyone to take their trash with them and to dispose of it responsibly.
But there were hundreds of marches.
Can certainly see detractors latching onto one if they've got evidence to crusade against while they pretend to care about the environment and concern troll the media about it.

Since when do they care about the environmental? And this is more then trash...it's signs. Purposely attached to the fences. It's not like they were thrown everywhere.

Retro

Gonna do this even though my State is solid red.

The goal in red states is to make Trump's behavior so abhorrent that they sprint away from every proposal his administration makes for fear of being tied to it when they face re-election. If Trump says "Do XYZ" and senators are getting inundated with phone calls and post cards saying "Don't do XYZ", the hope is that they'll vote against Trump for fear of pissing off the constituents they'll need later to stay in office. Basically, sow the seeds of dissent within the Republican Party.

Worth a shot, at least.

Chris R

I'll send a postcard, but where are the rest of the action points? Or are they just going to come up with them as we go?

Chris R

This keeps everyone doing a unified action instead of picking and choosing between 10 things at once

I understand that, but I'd like to at least see a broad overview of what's to come.

I sure hope there were a lot of people out on Saturday registering voters for the upcoming midterms (and your local elections)

RoKKeR

I'll send a postcard, but where are the rest of the action points? Or are they just going to come up with them as we go?
Every 10 days they will release new ones it seems.

Even though I have more conservative leanings in some (economic) areas, I'm feeling really emboldened at the amount of people coming together behind a cause like this. I hope that people remain engaged. Simply being informed and up to date goes a long way.

I'm still waiting for Evan McMullin to launch his organization, in whatever form it takes. Definitely going to get involved in that when it pops up.

thanks for the responses, I figured as much, it seemed to me like a last ditch effort to cast the march in a bad light, I couldn't be more stoked about the turn out though, felt like a break in the clouds after a bad few weeks.

My wife and I will definitely participate! I don't have an iPhone, so I can't use that Ink Cards app, but my wife will be able to use that.

Gonna do this even though my State is solid red.
More reason to do it! Even if it's red, not all your state leaders might line up with Trump's administration. Learn who's who and needs a tap on the shoulder. Get more informed about your county and state elections to spread the word to your community. See if there are groups you can join. If there's none, create one. I can guarantee you're not alone in wanting positive changes in your state.

Every 10 days they will release new ones it seems.

Even though I have more conservative leanings in some (economic) areas, I'm feeling really emboldened at the amount of people coming together behind a cause like this. I hope that people remain engaged. Simply being informed and up to date goes a long way.

I'm still waiting for Evan McMullin to launch his organization, in whatever form it takes. Definitely going to get involved in that when it pops up.
Exactly. We've reached a point where no one, no matter whom you voted for or what your skin color is, can afford to not stay up to date and remain quiet.

I'm also following my local group to see what's up in the next few months, but won't wait to lookup local organizations to see how to get more involved moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom