• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WORLD CUP 2022 | Rumba Quatar

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yep is sad...3 people confirmed dead for falling from different places...a girl on the hospital wounded by a bullet
I was watching a few people jump onto the team bus. That about put an end to all festivities as it was security and safety.

It was an epic gathering but it's hard enough coordinate 40k or 400k let alone 4m+

Ilpalazzo

J5xTDum.jpg

Cyberpunkd

giphy.gif

Let's cut the bullshit and call it what it is. Everybody was butthurt about this World Cup being held in an Arabian/Muslim country and the fact that the LGBTQ community weren't welcomed with open arms. But where were these comments and criticisms back in 2010 when it was first announced, and where were they for the 2016 Rio Olympics and other countries where the work conditions weren't ideal? Now suddenly everybody's a fucking humanitarian acting like they give a shit about those people and want to use to push their agenda. Doesn't surprise me Cyberpunk, your avatar looks like a shemale.
These are in no way comparable.

1. Qatar most likely outright bought and bribed their way to hosting WC.
2. LGBTQ ‘not being welcomed with open arms’ is an understatement - homosexuality is illegal in Qatar.
3. Arab countries, including Qatar, have a history of extreme slavery-like exploitation of their migrant workers - this is not the same case as ‘well work is tough in Brazil as well’

Yes, the criticism was always there, as you pointed out, so I don’t get what you are trying to say? That people should somehow just give up since it has been 12 years? Also voicing criticism during the even itself will bring much more attention to the issue as compared with something that’s supposed to happen in a decade.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Haven't heard much about the game of the World Cup in years. There was some talk about Germany winning.

Our country had a team in it this time. It would have been embarrassing to win looking at that celebration.
A few wondered aloud what was going on with the Go Team Go signs in public and thought the juniors had started early.

There's been various levels of support being increased for training youth for the upcoming hosting event. Funding local facilities so the game can be played in winter, coaching, recruiting stuff like that. Maybe getting in this event is a sign of this work.

In years past pop culture made spectating the sport pop culture seem most popular with LGBQT+ here. Men's thighs in little shorts, likened to watching watching women's beach volleyball. Not shaming, just how it seemed.

Played the game a little bit as a kid but the pace was too slow and too fast at the same time. For slow I preferred baseball, for fast hockey. Kids are definitely aware of the personal opportunities related to a World Cup. Some will divert from other professions. Maybe there's a latent soccer genius. It helps promote fitness so it's all good.

This issues with repression in some host countries have to be considered. We're amused by the costumes, consenting sexual behavior, and tribal worship of these foreign lands.

Spaceman292

Banned
Well, yeah. Fans come for the match and the stadiums or they would rather watch it at home. Fans who come cheer and influence players to do better which alter the results. Fuck your western country that think their culture apply to all.
Yeah those filthy westerners don't even stone women for having improperly adjusted headwear

These are in no way comparable.

1. Qatar most likely outright bought and bribed their way to hosting WC.
2. LGBTQ ‘not being welcomed with open arms’ is an understatement - homosexuality is illegal in Qatar.
3. Arab countries, including Qatar, have a history of extreme slavery-like exploitation of their migrant workers - this is not the same case as ‘well work is tough in Brazil as well’

Yes, the criticism was always there, as you pointed out, so I don’t get what you are trying to say? That people should somehow just give up since it has been 12 years? Also voicing criticism during the even itself will bring much more attention to the issue as compared with something that’s supposed to happen in a decade.
Some of these points aren't worth mentioning. Bribery for hosting the World Cup, is that surprising to you, stuff like that has been going on for ages. I'm not saying it's right but it's not worth an uproar. LGBTQ not being welcome, that's fine as it's their country and they don't agree with it, and do people forget that homosexuality was once illegal in the Europe? What I'm saying is that back in 2010 the criticism was about it being in the Middle East and a lack of football history there, but now it's LGBTQ, were there no gay people back when it was announced? Now those same people want to use migrant worker rights to boycott the event because their rainbow flags are blue instead.

But If they do get raped, they get stoned to death for adultery , we can do this all day (⁠◠⁠‿⁠・⁠)⁠—⁠☆
That's a narrow-minded view. From my understanding of Islam and it's schools of jurisprudence is that views differ. One school of thought says homosexuality is punishable by death whereas another says it's fine as long as it's not acted upon. Then come the fact how some Islamic countries are extreme and tribal in their cultures such as Iran and Afghanistan, but other countries like Qatar aren't like that. So it's not as black and white as Western media paint it out to be.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Let's cut the bullshit and call it what it is. Everybody was butthurt about this World Cup being held in an Arabian/Muslim country and the fact that the LGBTQ community weren't welcomed with open arms. But where were these comments and criticisms back in 2010 when it was first announced,

Here is one example from 2010. If you use Google (or a search engine of your choice) I'm sure you'll find a lot more.

Others, however, may well take a different view. In May this year, Amnesty International published their summary of concerns in relation to Qatar. Their report, which covers the period January to December 2009 but is still regarded as current, claims women face discrimination and violence and says hundreds of people continued to be arbitrarily deprived of their nationality.

The report also details how at least 18 people, mostly foreign nationals, were sentenced to flogging of between 40 and 100 lashes for offences related to "illicit sexual relations" or alcohol consumption. In June this year Amnesty International called on Qatar to "lift restrictions on the rights to freedom of opinion and expression and to take steps to promote freedom of the press".

Another controversial issue is that homosexuality is illegal in Qatar. "It's obviously very disappointing to see Fifa giving their backing to a country where homosexuality is illegal and where people can get imprisoned," said Ed Connell, a spokesman for the Gay Football Supporters Network. "The governing body of football are trying to send out a message that homophobia is unacceptable but they are endorsing a country where it's illegal. It just sends out a very bad message. You wonder how people are meant to interpret Fifa's commitment to tackling homophobia when they endorse a country in this way
."

What a way to ensure people forgot about the corruption surrounding this world cup - ensure Messi wins the cup and bob’s your uncle. Good plan - that’s proper sportswashing.

Top Bottom