• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Final Fantasy screens

TDLink

This game looks really cool but I wish they weren't chibi. This is an actual FF classic-style RPG that's crossing over previous characters and elements. But they're all bobbleheads. Big disappointment for me, especially since graphically it all looks so good. Would be such a slam dunk buy for me if the characters were proportioned even like the 2 main characters we see in some of these screens. Being chibi instead, I'm not sure if I'll get this. It's weird but that is a huge turn off for me.

Jeels

This game looks really cool but I wish they weren't chibi. This is an actual FF classic-style RPG that's crossing over previous characters and elements. But they're all bobbleheads. Big disappointment for me, especially since graphically it all looks so good. Would be such a slam dunk buy for me if the characters were proportioned even like the 2 main characters we see in some of these screens. Being chibi instead, I'm not sure if I'll get this. It's weird but that is a huge turn off for me.

Man, I'm the exact opposite. I wish the two realistically proportioned characters didn't exist and the game was all chibi, :/

SkyOdin

I am just amused by the chibi graphics, since they are obviously inspired by the classic field sprites of FF I through V. The decision to have characters shifting between tow different styles is a bit odd, but I don't think there is anything wrong with using an intentionally cute and light-hearted graphical style.

I'd be ok if they were always chibi, and they probably are but I've wanted to see Squall's OG design with SE's current graphical capabilities for a while, so it would be cool if they had a normal size mode.

I bet the story is going to explain it with "considering the amount of power it takes for them to help you, they can only exist in that form" or something similar.

Well, there is Dissidia Arcade Squall

maxresdefault.jpg

Stiler

The designs of the creatures and everything looks great, but the human designs look like they are from an entirely different game and the style doesn't seem to fit with everything else. Mainly with the body proportions and the lack of detail/uniqueness to their faces.

They should look at things like the classic stop motion "Rudolph the red nosed reindeer and the island of the misfit toys" for examples of how to do humans in this style.

IE:
eKS4WL2.jpg
That looks much more in line with the style of the creatures in those pictures.

TDLink

I am just amused by the chibi graphics, since they are obviously inspired by the classic field sprites of FF I through V. The decision to have characters shifting between tow different styles is a bit odd, but I don't think there is anything wrong with using an intentionally cute and light-hearted graphical style.

I get what they're going for but even the old sprites weren't proportioned quite like this. And for the FF7 and on characters it's even weirder since you never saw them even close to this. The chibi style doesn't even go with the environments. They look really out of place. The monsters look fine, and great. I am fine with that "cute" style. But the actual characters look off in a bad way, at least for me.

Best thing about PS4 success is the rise of JRPGs. This looks pretty nice and I'm definitely interested.

Wonder when we get the inevitable Chrono Trigger remake with similar engine than this one? Without the chibis ofc.

Yeah, I love it. It's really good to see.

Top Bottom