• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Goo - Official Thread

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I have played up to the Tower of Goo part in Chapter 1. Very fun game, definitely worth the $15-$20.

I had to move S&P to make room today. Yesterday I had to move Strongbad to make room for friggin Bomberman Blast. This is getting out of hand.

Jasoco

Banned
I'm having trouble with Fisty's Bog. Too high, too low. Can't get it. I got 4 out of 6. But ran out. Haven't gotten there since. I skipped and am now stuck on Tower of Goo.

This is gonna be a challenge. I know what I'm doing for my next two days off.

Nabs said:
is it worth buying on wii for wii controls, or does it not matter?

Would it really? If this were a PS3/360 vs Wii thing It would be no contest, but PC controls I would say are interchangeable with Wii controls for a game like this.

I'm buying the Wii version to play it on a 42" screen as opposed to my 19" LCD.

wsippel

Banned
Nabs said:
The Wii version is cheaper and supports up to four players. The PC version is more expensive, single player only, but has slightly more precise controls and a level editor as far as I remember.

To sum things up: Get both.

Cheez-It

Nabs said:

I've spent time playing it on both (beat it on PC a few days ago, played through several stages on the Wii today). While they executed the Wii controls to their maximum potential, I still think it falls slightly behind the precision of the mouse. It is quite close though, the controls are very smooth with the remote. There are only a few instances where this might be important in the game though.

Wii
+co-op
+price
+typical console advantages (TV, couch)

PC
+typical PC advantages (mouse, sitting close to the screen)
+Play on PC, Mac, or Linux with one purchase (go through 2dboy.com for this, not sure if it works with the steam purchase... you can activate on steam afterwards)

*edit: I've read this several times, but why do people keep saying pc has a level editor? I do not believe this is true. I'd love to be proven wrong, but don't mention this as a benefit if you aren't sure.

Jasoco

Banned
Shit man, Blustery Day is unique, but pretty hard. I got to the end with only 5 balls left. Out of the 9 required. :lol

Easy_D said:
Edit: I changed the resolution in the config.txt but the game still displays in 800x600.
I'm running the Steam version so maybe there's a command line that forces games to display at higher resolutions?
Thank you whoever posted how to do change the resolution, its looking great at 1440x900! I got it working on my Steam version doing only what the other guy said to do (change the config file)--maybe you forgot to save it before exiting that file or something?

wsippel

Banned
Cheez-It said:
*edit: I've read this several times, but why do people keep saying pc has a level editor? I do not believe this is true. I'd love to be proven wrong, but don't mention this as a benefit if you aren't sure.
I believe there was supposed to be a level editor some time ago. Can't find it on the website, so I guess there won't be one after all. Sorry.

Does anyone know the right number for the UI value in the config file if you change the res to 1680 by 1050? The UI is off the screen for me at the default 10.

raviolico

ahh...finally finished chapter I. Chapter II starts awesome.
did i say in my first post, it isn`t the second coming? scratch that! :lol

Man, this looks amazing at 1920x1200. But now I think I beat the first level and I'm stuck?

I think I'm missing the UI at the bottom or something. :lol

CajoleJuice said:
Man, this looks amazing at 1920x1200. But now I think I beat the first level and I'm stuck?

I think I'm missing the UI at the bottom or something. :lol
Yeah same problem I have. Just need to try a different value in the config file. I don't know what it is though.

CTLance

Fuck you guys. Now I'm out of 15€, downloading a game I didn't really want until 5 minutes ago and that I really don't have time to play. :mad:

I love how neogaf is hurting my wallet more than anything.

JavyOO7

I would like to see Animales de La Muertos, soon.

In the meantime, this stage in Chp 1 for this game is hard.

Where you have to reach to the other side of the ledge without no ballons or the green goo's.

JPBrowncoat said:
Yeah same problem I have. Just need to try a different value in the config file. I don't know what it is though.
Nevermind, it doesn't appear that was the problem. I just played at the default 800x600 resolution and I got a lever labeled "continue" that came down. That didn't happen when I had it at 1920x1200. Granted, I only got 7 gooballs the two times I tried at 1920x1200, and got 9 when I played at 800x600, but the goal was 4. That shouldn't matter. What the hell :(

Antagon

CajoleJuice said:
Nevermind, it doesn't appear that was the problem. I just played at the default 800x600 resolution and I got a lever labeled "continue" that came down. That didn't happen when I had it at 1920x1200. Granted, I only got 7 gooballs the two times I tried at 1920x1200, and got 9 when I played at 800x600, but the goal was 4. That shouldn't matter. What the hell :(

If you play it for a second time, the goal will be to break your last score. That's probably the case.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So, I changed the config.txt to 1280x1024, but the game still runs in 800x600, I googled for some answers but there are none.

Who do I call? The ghostbusters or the Elite Beat Agents?

Or am I just a dumbass junior who cant even find the right settings file :(?
I want to see the game shine :D

Downloaded on Steam and on Vista, if that helps.

Antagon said:
If you play it for a second time, the goal will be to break your last score. That's probably the case.
But I wasn't even signed on to a profile. And the lever didn't come down the first time I played. I'm going to try again.

Easy_D said:
So, I changed the config.txt to 1280x1024, but the game still runs in 800x600, I googled for some answers but there are none.

Who do I call? The ghostbusters or the Elite Beat Agents?

Or am I just a dumbass junior who cant even find the right settings file :(?
I want to see the game shine :D

Downloaded on Steam and on Vista, if that helps.
As I mentioned a few posts above (cough cough), I Steam'd it (and I'm running Vista) and all I did was change the config file like that guy said and like what you claim to have done. Replace the '800' with '1280', the '600' with '1024' and don't forget to save before you exit out. Boot up the game and it should work. The file you're changing stuff on does have that little 'you computer may blow up' warning joke thingy right? Otherwise you're in the wrong place.

argh, it won't allow me to beat levels at 1920x1200 what the fuckkkkkk

hmm, it looks like it's cutting off the side of the screen or something

tried playing at 1680x1050...it looks like the lever is appearing near the bottom of the screen, so where you click "continue" is off the screen. :mad:

alex1893

CajoleJuice said:
argh, it won't allow me to beat levels at 1920x1200 what the fuckkkkkk

hmm, it looks like it's cutting off the side of the screen or something
maybe you beat it but you're not able to click the continue button because it's off the screen?

played around with the ui setting (value 1, 20, 50 etc) but it doesn't seem to change anything :/

alex1893 said:
maybe you beat it but you're not able to click the continue button because it's off the screen?

played around with the ui setting (value 1, 20, 50 etc) but it doesn't seem to change anything :/
yeah, it's not changing for me either. when you said the UI before, I thought you meant "0 out of 4 goos"

Easy_D

never left the stone age
MaritalWheat said:
As I mentioned a few posts above (cough cough), I Steam'd it (and I'm running Vista) and all I did was change the config file like that guy said and like what you claim to have done. Replace the '800' with '1280', the '600' with '1024' and don't forget to save before you exit out. Boot up the game and it should work. The file you're changing stuff on does have that little 'you computer may blow up' warning joke thingy right? Otherwise you're in the wrong place.
Sorry, it seems I'm too eager to play more to pay enough attention :lol.

And yes, it does say the "Computer blow up" part. I managed to get some sort of result though by making the WorldofGoo.exe run in admin mode. It crashes, however.

It'd be much simpler if they could have put options in the game, but they must have left them out for a purpose, I guess.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Indeed, they don't make much sense though. I blame Vista. Second Sight has the whole "Can't change the resolution" problem going for it as well :lol

alex1893

continue in standard 800x600:

continue800.jpg

continue in 1440x900:

continue1440.jpg

the continue is barely on screen @ 1440. Maybe any higher resolution causes the button to go off screen so you're not able to click it.

edit: and it's quite zoomed in at a higher res...

CajoleJuice said:
So are all of us having this problem running Vista? :|

Try running Steam as administrator. Vista does this file-virtualization thing where it doesn't let non-admin processes modify files in Program Files and instead makes a virtual copy in AppData/Local/VirtualStore under your user directory. Or check for a copy of the file there and try modifying that one.

gimz

just finished first chapter, this game is fun as hell!!

my TV got shut off right now (TV problem, i have to wait for 30 or so minutes to turn it on again)
when i start chapter 2, i will try to co-op mode with my roomate :D

The Hermit

evilromero said:
I had to move S&P to make room today. Yesterday I had to move Strongbad to make room for friggin Bomberman Blast. This is getting out of hand.

Eh, me too. First time I had to clean the fridge and yes, it was fucking annoying... :/

Kletian

I'll have to pick this up when I get a few more dollars. It was a choice between this and Secret of Mana. Considering I never got past Spikey Kitty on that game I went with buying it first.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Man, this game is sooooo awesome! I just can't get over the music. Best music in a game since I don't know when, just phenomenal. I just completed Chapter 1 and it was tough but forgiving. I dread what's in the store, though, since some of Ch. 1 was hard. I struggled on Ivory Towers, but passed Tower of Goo on the first try.

The end level of Ch. 1 had me grinning and going "OMG!", two things I haven't done during a game in a while. This game is special, no doubt.

MercuryLS

Banned
I haven't played my Wii in months, but World of Goo made me switch it on just to play it. Needless to say, it was worth it. What an amazing game, totally worth the $10. It's slowly becoming my favorite downloadable game ever.

Top Bottom