• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Goo - Official Thread

Ydahs

ratcliffja said:
I really, really wanted to like this game. Instead, it just feels like trying random arrangements until something works.

Edit: I'm not trying to totally crap on the game. I'm just really frustrating for buying into the hype. I don't know if I'm just missing something or what, but usually I have an "aha" moment in puzzle games. I've yet to have that despite the ridiculous difficulty. Not a single solution has made sense to me.
Sometimes, when I hate a game, or it doesn't live up to my initial hype, I find it better to just leave it for a week and then later come back to it. It helps, as I turn out to like the game for what it is.

mitheor

Cheez-It said:
I don't know what the case is for people buying it now, but anyone who pre-ordered can activate it on steam within a week... So I would imagine the same would be true for people who buy it now, but I'm not positive...

Really? wow, i didnt kwow. And how can i activate it? I tried with the magicKey used to download the game from 2dBoy website but it didnt work.

Akia

I'm going to purchase the game as soon as they get that all sorted out. I want to be able to play on my Mac and on my PC using Steam. Without having to purchase the game twice.

mitheor

Ok, searching in Steam forums Jasonr said:

"We are working on accepting the pre-order World of Goo keys into Steam. With any luck, this should be live next week."

Lets wait then ...

kinggroin

Banned
Linkzg said:
To those who have tried both PC and Wii versions, is there a definitive verison to get?

Depends on what you're looking for:

Wii version has co-op (4 players I believe)
It's also a bit cheaper

PC version can look slightly better
Small increase in control precision

I'll have to replay it when I can get it on Steam, game's too good now I played the preview and Chapter 1 again proper last night, (skipped Fisty's Bog and Tower of Goo, took me far too long in the preview to do them, damn you Fisty, I want to select a balloon not a goo, argh :lol)

Yoschi

dyls said:
WOW. I was going to come post how great this game is an hour ago, but I had to play one more level first, and then another, and then another, and then another...

I got my first OCD on Chain, and while it was very satisfying, I couldn't help feeling bad for the one green goo I left all alone, just rolling back and forth expectantly. A little like Pikmin, I feel it each time one dies. It doesn't hurt the comparison that their voices sound almost identical to the Pikmin cries.

On the last level in Chapter 1,
the sign painter tells you that you may not be able to take every Goo with you
. But i felt bad about leaving even 1 behind, so i continued playing for over half an hour to take every single goo with the others! You don't actually get rewarded, because it's not part of the OCD, but i felt happy anyway :D

fly Goo's fly!!

Yoschi said:
. But i felt bad about leaving even 1 behind, so i continued playing for over half an hour to take every single goo with the others! You don't actually get rewarded, because it's not part of the OCD, but i felt happy anyway :D

fly Goo's fly!!
Same, I felt so proud to have got all of them, I assumed I hadn't got the OCD as I missed attaching some eyes, I'll probably never do it in limited turns as I suck at building towers

botticus

Yoschi said:

fly Goo's fly!!
How'd you manage that?
I put everyone back on, but there was too much weight. Had to knock off 5 or 6 goo balls before the eyes were able to pull the whole lot up.

Chapter 1 was pretty good, think I managed to get OCD on one of the levels (Chain?). Is there any way to tell what the green goo will stick to? I found that oftentimes they wouldn't adhere to surfaces at all.

Yoschi

botticus said:
How'd you manage that?
I put everyone back on, but there was too much weight. Had to knock off 5 or 6 goo balls before the eyes were able to pull the whole lot up.
As soon as the Goos stick to the rolling wheels, make a construction so they stay fixed and don't go up. Then release all the goos under that construction until only a rope of them is left, so all of the other goos can go up to that construction you made before. You may realize that you can't detach the grey balls, unless they get touched by the spinning gears on the sides, so if you want to take those with you as well you need to attach them to the end of the rope.

Now carefully release some goos of the construction while building a path to go up, so that not everything will fall down. If everything goes right you should be able to pull the grey goos with you until you reach the point where you have the eyes. Then just attach the eyes and there you go!

edit:
Sorry, i misunderstood what you said. Yes the eyes are able to pull them all up, they just take a lot longer! :)
botticus said:
Chapter 1 was pretty good, think I managed to get OCD on one of the levels (Chain?). Is there any way to tell what the green goo will stick to? I found that oftentimes they wouldn't adhere to surfaces at all.
I'm not sure i understand what you mean, but the green goos don't stick to anything, they are just detachable.

Playing the Wii version, I see clouds with flags of countries beyond North America. Is that part cross-platform with PC, or are there that many who've done the necessary tricks to download it from other regions?

Akia said:
I'm going to purchase the game as soon as they get that all sorted out. I want to be able to play on my Mac and on my PC using Steam. Without having to purchase the game twice.

You can buy it on Steam now. That's the only way to get it on Steam going forward. Only preorders can transfer their version over to Steam. New orders through their website get the installer and that's it.

botticus

Antagon said:
They don't stick to the walls, they don't fall down there because the bottom is less wide then the top...
I assume that was my misunderstanding, but I could have sworn the sign said they stick.

bryehn

Just played my first hour. Great presentation. Great music. Simple, yet challenging and addictive gameplay. This one's a real gem.

Insaniac

the green ones rely on friction to stick to walls

what is this OCD bonus, I got it once when I was quickly detaching green goos and sticking em in the pipe.

Insaniac said:
the green ones rely on friction to stick to walls

what is this OCD bonus, I got it once when I was quickly detaching green goos and sticking em in the pipe.
I don't know that getting them earns you anything extra (beyond more spare goo to build your meta tower with), but I think they're the max you can earn from a stage.

Jasoco

Banned
Holy sweet Jesus. World 4 gets better and better! I can't wait to see what we get in world 5! This makes me want a sequel and I haven't even beaten this one yet!

World 4 spoiler:
I'm now on Road Blocks. I get to stack stone blocks as well as connect goo balls. Every time I think there can't be anything new, it gives me something new. Information Super Highway is awesome.
:D

The
blocks
are so adorable watching the cursor with that sad eye wondering who I'll grab next. :D

You can see the OCD requirements for the current level by clicking the "menu" button on the bottom of the screen which I never noticed until just now. I checked the requirement for Tower of Goo and it turns out I missed it by one ball my first time through, what a crock of BS.

DreD

I bought the game yesterday but only had time to try it today. I played it for one hour straight and I think it's awesome. After the first two level, I had fears about the difficulty being too easy, but it ramped up nicely from there. Totally worth 15$!

Jasoco

Banned
"Where do things go when they're deleted?"
"They go to the big Recycle Bin in the southeast."

This is genius. I love you, [/spoiler]MOM.[/spoiler]

GC|Simon

Yeah, chapter 4 is awesome. Especially the last two levels!

Anyone build his "Tower of Goo" already. Mine:

tower_of_goo791.png

I'm wondering how tall the tallest tower is...

GC|Simon

Jasoco said:
I see you haven't gotten to world 4 yet?

MASSIVE SPOILER: Nope, I was there and destroyed the Cooperation. I know, this Tower of Goo area dosn't look destroyed, but this is far above the ground. If you'ld see the ground, you would see that there is no more World of Goo Cooperation ;-)

Jasoco

Banned
You should use the tags for that, man. I had already figured that was the case, but tag it. Someone else will complain. ;)

GC|Simon

GC|Simon said:
MASSIVE SPOILER:
Nope, I was there and destroyed the Cooperation. I know, this Tower of Goo area dosn't look destroyed, but this is far above the ground. If you'ld see the ground, you would see that there is no more World of Goo Cooperation ;-)

I can't edit my old message anymore...

GC|Simon

later said:
Any hints for chapter 3, second hand smoke?

This is easy. Just build a symmetric construction. The fire has to diffuse stead, so that the white construction can fall down in a straight line.

Jasoco

Banned
How about world 4.

"Recycle Bin"

I always clear my way into the net at the bottom. But how do I get the little guys on fire to destroy the net?

later

GC|Simon said:
This is easy. Just build a symmetric construction. The fire has to diffuse stead, so that the white construction can fall down in a straight line.

Doh, makes sense! thanks :)

Snowball

Banned
Could you tell me how to change resolution in this game?
I cannot try now and I've a friend looking for a hint to do that.

Thanks!

Jirotrom

just to all those who want a demo on pc... the demo came out almost 2-3 years ago I believe, as it was a free game demonstration then. It may still be floating around.

Jasoco

Banned
Jasoco said:
How about world 4.

"Recycle Bin"

I always clear my way into the net at the bottom. But how do I get the little guys on fire to destroy the net?
Anyone? I'm stuck!

Cheez-It

For such an amazing game that has been discussed by Penny Arcade, ArsTechnica, and various other media outlets, I find it quite odd that this game has been out for a whole day (never mind the fact that many folks have had it for many days due to pre-ordering), yet only sees a small handful of reviews, for the PC version in particular (I understand that some places place less importance on WiiWare titles, which I find silly myself, but this is a PC game as well...). What gives? Seems a bit lame to me.

Anony

lord, i have 312 blocks free, and WoG is what? 320+ blocks?

is there anyways to backup all my save files to sd without going one by one?

Cheez-It

Jasoco said:
No one? Beuler? I can't do it! I can't get to world 5! Please? How I does finish? :lol

Shoot a goo at the dangling line. It will make the line sway. When it sways at an angle so you can shoot up through the flame back onto the green goo, do this.

Jasoco

Banned
Cheez-It said:
Shoot a goo at the dangling line. It will make the line sway. When it sways at an angle so you can shoot up through the flame back onto the green goo, do this.
Been trying that. Not working. Ran out of goo.

Cheez-It

Jasoco said:
Been trying that. Not working. Ran out of goo.

When you break through the bottom, you have several goos on a thread to the left. You only need one. You shoot the long dangly vine, at full velocity. The line moves somewhat under the flame. You then aim up through the flame to the green goo structure. You don't need to capture any goos, so you have something like 6-8 chances to try this... Then just click the button when it lands at the bottom.

Basically: Keep trying...

Jirotrom

Cheez-It said:
For such an amazing game that has been discussed by Penny Arcade, ArsTechnica, and various other media outlets, I find it quite odd that this game has been out for a whole day (never mind the fact that many folks have had it for many days due to pre-ordering), yet only sees a small handful of reviews, for the PC version in particular (I understand that some places place less importance on WiiWare titles, which I find silly myself, but this is a PC game as well...). What gives? Seems a bit lame to me.
because its basically the same except in higher definition.

If it wasnt complicated i would do that homebrew trick to get the game running on my pal wii......but i havent even tryed any homebrew hack.....

Top Bottom