• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Goo - Official Thread

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Damn, I love this game. I love the dry humor poured into every level. The Sign Painter is clearly the new Companion Cube. I can only hope there's some witty and catchy tune in the end credits.

Did anyone notice on the last level of the 2nd chapter
where you wake up that giant sleeping beauty chick
that the sign says "Good thing this isn't in Hi-Def or anything..." or something to that extent. Do people playing the PC version get that message, or is that a Wii exclusive? :lol

dyls

Lo, I am here to speak the goodness of Dual Wielding

I started for Fisty's Long Bony Ride or whatever it's called, in chapter 3. It helped immeasurably in keeping the skull guys from getting up in the web. I would grab one with my right hand and hold it under the spot where the bridge I was building with my left hand was going to come down. When the web fell towards the spikes, the skull would be waiting to prop them up.

I definitely plan on using it more often. It could really help with speed runs as well.

ciccione

I am at the end of World 2. Even if I am still far to the end of the game, the amont of joy, suprises and the smiles that gave me every level made World of Goo instantly one of the best games I ever played. It's really amazing how a simple concept, a good game physics and a wiimote can let you have one of the best gaming experiences ever, even if not HD...
Chapeau to the programmers. Fantastic job!

Freeply

Dacvak said:
"Good thing this isn't in Hi-Def or anything..." or something to that extent. Do people playing the PC version get that message, or is that a Wii exclusive? :lol

Got it too in the PC version, maybe in reference to the 800x600 default (and not easily changeable) resolution. You can edit some config file to change the resolution, but it messes up the UI.

AniHawk

About halfway through world 4 and I am liking it more.
Tighten up the graphics on level three
was a nice little touch.

Stuck on the "Innovations in Horizontal Transportation Committee" stage in the Epilogue. I feel like I'm on the right track, I just can't quite get it. World of Goo definitely passes the great game test, though, as I'm already lamenting the fact that I'm almost finished.

By the way, anyone else think the "You Have to Explode the Head" stage was a nod to that indie game You Have to Cut the Rope?

I'm on world 4. Passed the red grapevine level when I probably shouldn't have, was happy to take the charity though. The game keeps getting better and better, I keep expecting more of the same and the game keeps rising above.

BrodiemanTTR said:
Stuck on the "Innovations in Horizontal Transportation Committee" stage in the Epilogue. I feel like I'm on the right track, I just can't quite get it.
what is your track? ;) I managed this level yesterday after 5 trys or so :D

CTLance

dyls said:
I started for Fisty's Long Bony Ride or whatever it's called, in chapter 3. It helped immeasurably in keeping the skull guys from getting up in the web. I would grab one with my right hand and hold it under the spot where the bridge I was building with my left hand was going to come down. When the web fell towards the spikes, the skull would be waiting to prop them up.
I am somehow utterly stumped by that level. I always run out of skulls before I reach the pipe, and on the rare occasions that I do reach the pipe out of sheer luck I have only a handful of blobs left.

Any pointers? I'm thinking of skipping the level and going back later, but usually the knowledge you gain by completing a level comes in handy later, and I don't want to run into a wall later because I missed out on some obvious technique I should have learned here.

Caesar III said:
what is your track? ;) I managed this level yesterday after 5 trys or so :D

Building up a big tower and then having it fall over the chasm to form a bridge. I'm always just off though. Either I come up too short, or it falls over too soon, or my counterweight gives way before I want, or I run out of goo. I came damn close once. I just don't see another way to do it.

BrodiemanTTR said:
Building up a big tower and then having it fall over the chasm to form a bridge. I'm always just off though. Either I come up too short, or it falls over too soon, or my counterweight gives way before I want, or I run out of goo. I came damn close once. I just don't see another way to do it.
just use the ballon goo to stabilize and then to fall slowly ;) and you have to reach the sign-cloud to reach the other island

AniHawk

TheHeretic said:
I'm on world 4. Passed the red grapevine level when I probably shouldn't have, was happy to take the charity though. The game keeps getting better and better, I keep expecting more of the same and the game keeps rising above.

It's really similar to Braid in how it progresses.

CTLance said:
I am somehow utterly stumped by that level. I always run out of skulls before I reach the pipe, and on the rare occasions that I do reach the pipe out of sheer luck I have only a handful of blobs left
do not build to big and just reuse the skulls on your way to the left. You dont need a complete line of goo. ;)

CTLance

Caesar III said:
do not build to big and just reuse the skulls on your way to the left. You dont need a complete line of goo. ;)
You can
reattach
them??
D'Oh.
How the hell did I miss that!

Thanks.

Finally got it. It was a matter of getting the construction balance just right. And now the game is beaten. :(

Universe of Goo plz.

Also I want the soundtrack for this game.

Cheez-It

For anyone with the PC version, just head to /program files/worldofgoo/res/(music I think? forgot). Full soundtrack in OGG format. I'm sure you can find it on the net given this fact (If you have the Wii version that is).

Ydahs: It depends. I prefer the input on the PC (mouse), although as someone mentioned, you can wield too remotes on the Wii, which might make it easier. Other than that, it depends whether you want co-op, whether you think $5 is a deal-breaker, and generic differences between a PC and Console game (playing on couch, etc.)... Oh, and the game takes up space on the Wii, so I suppose that's a slight negative.

If I had to take only one, I would keep the PC version.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I was going to get it for the PC but ended up snagging it on the Wii instead. (Had to delete Strong Bad Ep 2 for this.) I'm actually really happy I got it for the Wii. I really dig the controls, and it just feels right playing with the Wiimote.

Of course, I'm sure it feels just as good with a mouse, and I'm sure it's even a bit sharper on-screen, but I guess I'm just a sucker for that custom in-game Wiimote cursor. Plus, if you're anything like me, you'll probably end up playing the Wii version more than if you got it on PC. When I buy Steam games, I tend to end up getting distracted and playing something else (darn you, TF2!), but if you have a legitimate excuse to turn on your Wii, chances are it'll be to crush some World of Goo.

My vote is for the Wii version.

CTLance said:
You can
reattach
them??
D'Oh.

Thanks.

Yeah I was on that for ages. Amazingly I came about 1cm to the pipes suction without reusing a single skull, at which point the weight became too much and everything fell apart.

CTLance said:
You can
reattach
them??
D'Oh.

Thanks.
*note to myself: DO NOT post on gaf in university. The spoiler is full of failure :D anyway, you got the idea, sorry

psy18

Great game, just finished with it.
My only complaint is it's often very hard to pluck a specific goo you want when there's tons of them scrambling around. Slow things a bit in some stages.

psy18 said:
My only complaint is it's often very hard to pluck a specific goo you want when there's tons of them scrambling around. Slow things a bit in some stages.
You're right, especially if you NEED a specific goo RIGHT NOW and you can't get it and your construction collapses :D

psy18 said:
Yeah. Perhaps scroll wheel or d-pad could've been used to help in such situations.

Threi

notag
the music is awesome :lol

Kind of reminds me of Worms, Lemmings, and Fantastic Contraption melded into one game.

Why so few reviews? 2 on wii 1 on pc. You would think reviewers would be fighting over who gets to review this game. Did 2DBoy not send out review copies ahead of time? Or is it that they did not send advertising $?

later

psy18 said:

Yeah, and then you accidentally grab a goo that is already being used, making the entire construction unstable resulting in sudden death.

Cheez-It

road2serfdom said:
Why so few reviews? 2 on wii 1 on pc. You would think reviewers would be fighting over who gets to review this game. Did 2DBoy not send out review copies ahead of time? Or is it that they did not send advertising $?

I agree. It does not reflect well on gaming journalism. What the fuck are they doing?

For those having trouble with grabbing the right goo: I am in level 3. I noticed their is a time element. If you want to yank a 'used' goo out of a struture, just wait a second or 2 holding the curser near the goo. It will first be covered by a unused goo for a second or 2 but if you wait and watch (1 second or 2) it will clear. What at first was frustrating became smooth and I was able to
"stick, stick, yank, stick, stick, yank, ..." to lower the bomb
with efficiency.

dyls

TheHeretic said:
Yeah I was on that for ages. Amazingly I came about 1cm to the pipes suction without reusing a single skull, at which point the weight became too much and everything fell apart.

I was able to make it without re-using skulls. The first one you pretty much have to use right away, but after that just build up and to the right at a 45-degree angle or so and wait for it to fall. Again, with dual wielding you can keep the skull in the perfect position and put another goo or two in place before having to brace the structure.

Caesar III said:
You're right, especially if you NEED a specific goo RIGHT NOW and you can't get it and your construction collapses

It is a problem, but, again, dual wielding can really help. You can take a second to grab the one you want before you need it, then hold it off to the side while making any other moves.

Seriously, I can't over-emphasize how much dual wielding can change the game. On levels like the one where you race the really long "wick" of red goos, you can build much faster using two hands. It takes a little getting used to, but is really satisfying once you get it going.

Taxman

So I have $15 available to me. Do I spend it on this, or Braid? (I don't have an HDTV, so gameplay trumps graphics.)

dyls said:
It is a problem, but, again, dual wielding can really help. You can take a second to grab the one you want before you need it, then hold it off to the side while making any other moves.
Seriously, I can't over-emphasize how much dual wielding can change the game. On levels like the one where you race the really long "wick" of red goos, you can build much faster using two hands. It takes a little getting used to, but is really satisfying once you get it going.
You are talking about Wii Version right? There you can use 2 Wiimotes at the same time ? Wow, that's just great. I only have one mouse :)

psy18

road2serfdom said:
For those having trouble with grabbing the right goo: I am in level 3. I noticed their is a time element. If you want to yank a 'used' goo out of a struture, just wait a second or 2 holding the curser near the goo. It will first be covered by a unused goo for a second or 2 but if you wait and watch (1 second or 2) it will clear. What at first was frustrating became smooth and I was able to
"stick, stick, yank, stick, stick, yank, ..." to lower the bomb
with efficiency.

You're playing the wii version? Doesn't work on mine (PC).

dyls

Caesar III said:
You are talking about Wii Version right? There you can use 2 Wiimotes at the same time ? Wow, that's just great. I only have one mouse :)

Sorry, I thought you were playing the Wii version.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Videos and impressions made me interested and I got the Wii version very late yesterday but had no time to try it. Can't wait to get out of work to play this, it really looks like something I'll dig.

Shiggy

The Goo Corporation thing doesn't seem to be that successful when I've got the fourth biggest tower with having only played the first chapter.

Davidion said:

The Wii version has co-op support, which allows multiple players (or multiple hands in this case) to play together using multiple wiimotes, which can be an advantage in some levels where speed is more of the essence.

EDIT - It also demands great team work, since the first player also controls the camera, so you need to be able to communicate where to go and not have them mess things up just when you are carefully placing a gooball.

Davidion

splattergnome said:
The Wii version has co-op support, which allows multiple players (or multiple hands in this case) to play together using multiple wiimotes, which can be an advantage in some levels where speed is more of the essence.

Score one for not paying attention.

The game officially just got more fun. :lol

dyls

Caesar III said:
But if this is possible in the Wii version of this game, this version is a lot easier I think.

It's pretty tough to get really good at it because of the multi-tasking involved. So there's still a difficulty curve. But when speed or exact timing are of the essence, it can really make things less frustrating. The difficulty of grabbing the right goo is a flaw, imo, that is mitigated by using two remotes. So it's less about breaking the game (although speed runs can be a little questionable) than it is about fixing one of its very few flaws.

Top Bottom