• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Goo - Official Thread

The Hermit

Threi said:
the music is awesome :lol

Kind of reminds me of Worms, Lemmings, and Fantastic Contraption melded into one game.

I bolded the whole quote because that´s how I described the game to a friend and because the music is amazing!

BTW, does anyone know where I can find the soundtrack? I got the Wii version so I can´t use the PC trick...

Shiggy

later said:
MUst be some kind of bug, or you are really good at creating thin towers :) How high is it? I have crossed 20m and seen lots of others near that too.

23 m and second largest tower (though it just collapsed rofl).

Shiggy

ProfessorLobo said:
23m is not the second largest tower. I don't know where you're getting that from.

Well, that's what it says in the game, I'm not sure why.
Where can I take a look at the leaderboards?

psy18

Caesar III said:
how?

edit: I've seen someone in a video with over 500 goos in the Tower building thingy. I thought 300 is max?

They have 500 collected but the field only allows 300 max.

Haunted

Can I just say again how much I love the music in this game? Classy stuff.

Best main menu music of the year.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Middle of chapter 3 right now. I'm liking this.

Had some trouble at two stages in the first chapter because I was lacking the necessary patience due to the amount of coffee I had earlier in the day, but after relaxing to an episode of House and coming back to the game it really clicked.

I agree with the love for the gameplay, art, graphics, music, humor... Basically everything that was mentioned and is still being praised every minute. Not yet my GOTY and I don't think it will be but it is pretty good and fun. And I definitely want to put some of the tracks on my PSP to listen on the go. Anywhere I can get an OST rip from the PC version?

Anyway, I'm addicted, and I knew beforehand that it was the type of game that would do this to me. Had some minutes before leaving my brother at the airport in the morning and I started the game without thinking twice while eating breakfast.

First time I had to clean my frwiidge too! It was worth it though.

Mardak

I played the demo and got one OCD on some stage accidentally, and now I'm going through stage by stage on the WiiWare version for the OCD criteria. So far I've gotten everything OCD up to the bog stage (balloon + bridge) including the stages on the bottom path (ivy, balance, tumbler).

Should I continue to tower of goo and the rest of chapter 1 to experience new stuff in Chapter 2+? How much more of the game haven't I seen yet?

World of Goo = tons of fun
+ OCDC = crazy fun :D

Fuu

I got one OCD but "OCD" being written in the results screen is really all that happens when you do it? I'm not talking about unlockable content but I wish it would sprout a permanent SHINING STAR or anything like that in the stage selection screen above the stages where you accomplish them, or even a list with the ones you already got.

It may sound silly, but that way my OCD would be really tickled like it usually is in games.

TunaLover

Love the music, it remind me Tim Burton films :D

I'm in the part which you build a bridge from the frog's mouth using ballons, damn the thing is putting up my nerves :lol

Mardak

Alaluef said:
I got one OCD but "OCD" being written in the results screen is really all that happens when you do it? I'm not talking about unlockable content but I wish it would sprout a permanent SHINING STAR
No shining star, but you'll see a white flag on the stage's gray blob on the map screen.

Fuu

Mardak said:
No shining star, but you'll see a white flag on the stage's gray blob on the map screen.
Woot! I somehow didn't notice it on the one I got.

I'm fucked then, I thought I would be able to finish the game vanilla style only. Here's to many more hours of retries now! :lol

Jirotrom

TunaLover said:

I'm in the part which you build a bridge from the frog's mouth using ballons, damn the thing is putting up my nerves :lol
yea... some of the compositions are very close to Danny Elfman's style.

Threi

notag
TunaLover said:

lol im at that exact level right now.

i think you have to ballon>goo>ballon>goo really fast

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Where abouts does the game save to? Reformatted my machine and don't want to lose my progress.

The Hermit

So, what do you think about the story?

Spoilers!
At first I though it was a metaphor of oil exploration ( black goo being sucked from pipes all over the world), then someone here mentioned about Google being referenced in chapter 4... but I still don´t know what to think about it... and what is the deal with the Sign Painter?

causan

This game is awesome. Definitely recommending it to anyone that still on the fence about it. Not sure if this was posted already but the demo is now available on steam.

Just finished it, I think this might be the best game I have played so far this year. Chapter 4 is just fantastic. I really hope they release some new stages.

adg1034

60_gig_PS3 said:
is this the same as Tower of Goo?

It's either 2 or 3 years newer, and now includes an actual game instead of just a proof-of-concept idea. This is lightyears beyond what Tower did.

dLMN8R

Alright, the level Roadblocks in chapter 4 is pissing me off.
Every time I try building the tower of blocks up in the middle as my support, they slowly start sliding off each other as if they're frictionless.
In the end, no matter what configuration I try, the physics keep messing this up. Am I missing something here?

So yeah, I got to chapter 4, and
the change in background makes it kind of difficult to see what you're doing in the Goo corporation mode :/ Although, I was still able to get my tower up to 25m before it collapsed

I also just discovered that clicking on the fireflies erases your previous move, I can tell that that's going to save me a lot of grief on some of the harder levels :D It would be nice if stuff like that was explained in the manual though. Maybe one of the signposts mentioned it but it ended up going unnoticed through the sea of weird/nonsensical comments that the signposts make.

Jasoco

Banned
nincompoop said:
I also just discovered that clicking on the fireflies erases your previous move, I can tell that that's going to save me a lot of grief on some of the harder levels :D It would be nice if stuff like that was explained in the manual though. Maybe one of the signposts mentioned it but it ended up going unnoticed through the sea of weird/nonsensical comments that the signposts make.
Just now? :lol Yes, in fact, it was in the levels title subtitle. Remember "Impale Sticky"? It was level 4. "If you get in trouble, simply go back in time."

I got this game a couple of days ago. I'm mid-way through the second world. The game is fucking ridiculously good. I rarely blown away, but I am blown away by World of Goo.

Lemmings meets The Incredible Machine meets Tim Burton. That's how the game feels to me.

(Funny note: my wife walked by today and said "Now *that* looks awesome on the TV." Since I purchased my 50" 800U Panasonic last month, she has watched me oogle various movies on BD, as well as a bunch of PS3/360 games. But she's never responded particularly well. It took a fucking 480p WiiWare game to impress her!)

Ydahs

TruthJunky said:
I got this game a couple of days ago. I'm mid-way through the second world. The game is fucking ridiculously good. I rarely blown away, but I am blown away by World of Goo.

Lemmings meets The Incredible Machine meets Tim Burton. That's how the game feels to me.

(Funny note: my wife walked by today and said "Now *that* looks awesome on the TV." Since I purchased my 50" 800U Panasonic last month, she has watched me oogle various movies on BD, as well as a bunch of PS3/360 games. But she's never responded particularly well. It took a fucking 480p WiiWare game to impress her!)
Man, I need this game! Why can't we just get the Wiiware version (Australian)?!

Do you mind posting off-screen pics of the game on your 50"? I really want to know how it looks.

Just finished it. I haven't felt this way about a game in a long time. It was seriously a magical experience. Like I entered a world with just me and goo, working together in harmony. When entire structures would crash and burn I literally felt devastated, but when everything went as I planned I felt like I won the lotto or something. Ridiculously good.

I just beat it as well. Such a great little game. Looking at the credits and seeing that it was made by four people makes it all the more amazing. My tower is up to 26.8 m. :D

nincompoop said:
So yeah, I got to chapter 4, and
the change in background makes it kind of difficult to see what you're doing in the Goo corporation mode :/ Although, I was still able to get my tower up to 25m before it collapsed

The fireflies were explained, and the goo corperation changes back when you go further into chapter 4.

Ydahs said:
Man, I need this game! Why can't we just get the Wiiware version (Australian)?!

Do you mind posting off-screen pics of the game on your 50"? I really want to know how it looks.

I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow. If I don't post some by Monday, remind me!

Mrbob

Played the PC demo, I had a great time with it.

Disappointed to see the PC version is 20 dollars when the WiiWare version is 15. I will buy this on PC when I see it drop in price.

TunaLover

Dacvak said:
Did anyone notice on the last level of the 2nd chapter
where you wake up that giant sleeping beauty chick
that the sign says "Good thing this isn't in Hi-Def or anything..." or something to that extent. Do people playing the PC version get that message, or is that a Wii exclusive? :lol

I notice the HD thing too, it say later ''she doesn't need THAT to be beautifull'' or someting along that line, the whole chapter talks about beauty, cosmetic covers, plastic surgery, and how it comes a futil effort in the end, it could be a subtle hit to hi-def, high tech, over-valued ''good looking things'', though :D

Despite seeing lots of gameplay videos, trailers, and reading threads, I am surprised that the game still contain twists and secrets - for example, the last major world was... quite a surprising change of pace in several ways. I totally didn't expect that, but it has a charm of its own. And it even has a goo type which reminds me of algebra class. :lol

I wonder what the European Wii retail version's exclusive Moon level will be like.

Brashnir

Got the PC version - is there any way to change the resolution? I can find any options in the menus, and blur-o-vision sucks.

Luigison

WoG and SMG are currently tied on MetaCritic with reviews scores of 97, but WoG is winning the user vote with 9.4 to 9.1.

Gamerankings has SMG winning, but if they included WiiWare-World.com's 100% for WoG the games would be nearly tied.

Based on this news and how much I'm enjoying this game I'm upping the prize amount in my Mii contest to 1500 points so that maybe someone else will get a chance to enjoy it too. http://themushroomkingdom.net/board/index.php?topic=12165.0

Does any else even make Miis anymore? I've spent more time making Miis than I've spent with most games.

Anyway, everybody should buy World of Goo.

Brashnir said:
Got the PC version - is there any way to change the resolution? I can find any options in the menus, and blur-o-vision sucks.

alt-enter, play in windowed. Otherwise you can edit the .ini files, but it won't change the textures.

Kryptonic

Brashnir said:

yea was kinda disappointed in that when I played the demo over steam. I ended up getting the game on Wii and it looks great.

I just had to come into this thread after buying this game a couple days ago. I'm on Chapter 4 and I must say......this is probably the best downloadable game this gen.

Probably my favorite Wii game and one of my top games of this year so far. The music, the small pieces of humor, the game is just amazing. 10/10

Top Bottom