• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Goo - Official Thread

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Luigison said:
WoG and SMG are currently tied on MetaCritic with reviews scores of 97, but WoG is winning the user vote with 9.4 to 9.1.

Gamerankings has SMG winning, but if they included WiiWare-World.com's 100% for WoG the games would be nearly tied.

Based on this news and how much I'm enjoying this game I'm upping the prize amount in my Mii contest to 1500 points so that maybe someone else will get a chance to enjoy it too. http://themushroomkingdom.net/board/index.php?topic=12165.0

Does any else even make Miis anymore? I've spent more time making Miis than I've spent with most games.

Anyway, everybody should buy World of Goo.
They didn't record 1UP's score correctly, right? Isn't a 10/10 an A+. WoG got an A.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Calling this the best downloadable game of all time is a disservice to the game. The fact is that currently this is certainly one of the most memorable games of probasbly the last 15 years. As to if it is one of the best games of all time, I think we need a little time to reflect on that yet.. but so far this is probably one of my top contenders for game of the year.

I will say this though.. the only thing stopping it from taking best action puzzle game of all time away from lemmings is the lack of competitive multiplayer. If they can put that in World of Goo 2 it could very well end up as the only action puzzler you need for the rest of forever.

Gotta grab the soundtrack also.. simply amazing. Just like the game.

borghe said:
Calling this the best downloadable game of all time is a disservice to the game. The fact is that currently this is certainly one of the most memorable games of probasbly the last 15 years. As to if it is one of the best games of all time, I think we need a little time to reflect on that yet.. but so far this is probably one of my top contenders for game of the year.

I will say this though.. the only thing stopping it from taking best action puzzle game of all time away from lemmings is the lack of competitive multiplayer. If they can put that in World of Goo 2 it could very well end up as the only action puzzler you need for the rest of forever.

Gotta grab the soundtrack also.. simply amazing. Just like the game.

That, and it's not only downloadable; there's going to be a boxed version through amazon, gamestop, best buy, and sam's club come November. Hopefully the latter means a Walmart release as well, which would probably really put a boost in the sales.

Brashnir

TheHeretic said:
alt-enter, play in windowed. Otherwise you can edit the .ini files, but it won't change the textures.

edited the config file. looked for one initially and didn't find it. It was sort of strangely placed. It's a bit better after editing it, at least.

As for the game, I've enjoyed it so far, but don't agree with the hyperbole around here about it. I'm not sure it's even the best physics puzzle game I've played this quarter, much less the GOTF some people are labeling it.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Ok. I had left off at the end of Chapter 3... just finished 3, 4, and the Epilogue.

While I did enjoy the game (even when it got annoying), and I'm getting hints that SOMETHING is still waiting for me over at the tower site, I have to admit that I feel slightly like the game was a bit short for my $15. I enjoyed myself, mind you, but ...

Yes Boss!

Peronthious said:
That, and it's not only downloadable; there's going to be a boxed version through amazon, gamestop, best buy, and sam's club come November. Hopefully the latter means a Walmart release as well, which would probably really put a boost in the sales.

Really. For the Wii or PC? Will it include additional material?

If it has new stuff and is for Wii then I'll double dip to show support.

Currently mid way through World 4. Pretty impressed and WELL worth $15. This and Braid have been real treats on the download scene this year.

Yes Boss! said:
Really. For the Wii or PC? Will it include additional material?

If it has new stuff and is for Wii then I'll double dip to show support.

Currently mid way through World 4. Pretty impressed and WELL worth $15. This and Braid have been real treats on the download scene this year.
Wii title for Europe only I think. 6 Chapters instead of 5 in the WW version.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
This game is fucking amazing.

Holy shit getting OCD is ridiculously difficult. I've only completed about 7 stages so far, but I have OCD on stages 1-3

I can already tell getting OCD is going to be something like this for every stage:

"Okay, I needed to get 8 goos to escape, but I got... let's see.... 17... that should be more than enough"

*doesn't get an OCD*

"Huh? Okaaay.... let's try this again"

*retries the stage and gets 19, but still no OCD*

"<_<"

*retries again, and gets 20 after a few more tries. No OCD*

"What the HELL?!"

*gets 21 after 5 more tries. No OCD*

"GOD DAMNIT HOW MANY OF THESE THINGS DO I NEED TO SAVE?!"

*retries the stage and gets 22 after several more attempts. Finally gets OCD*

"Hooray!"

GaimeGuy said:
This game is fucking amazing.

Holy shit getting OCD is ridiculously difficult. I've only completed about 7 stages so far, but I have OCD on stages 1-3

I can already tell getting OCD is going to be something like this for every stage:

"Okay, I needed to get 8 goos to escape, but I got... let's see.... 17... that should be more than enough"

*doesn't get an OCD*

"Huh? Okaaay.... let's try this again"

*retries the stage and gets 19, but still no OCD*

"<_<"

*retries again, and gets 20 after a few more tries. No OCD*

"What the HELL?!"

*gets 21 after 5 more tries. No OCD*

"GOD DAMNIT HOW MANY OF THESE THINGS DO I NEED TO SAVE?!"

*retries the stage and gets 22 after several more attempts. Finally gets OCD*

"Hooray!"

You know you can see the exact OCD requirement from the menu, right?

GaimeGuy

Okay I went back, and yeah, you were right.

I think I always thought that "Menu" was just a label for the stuff at the bottom of the screen, rather than an actual thing you clicked on to open a menu. Thanks for the info <3.

On that note, I OCDed level 4 (the
stage where you have to build a bridge around a corner that has a buzzsaw turning that can shred your goo to pieces. the bridge needs to reach a pipe hanging over a ledge that has several sleeping goos on it.

Banzaiaap said:
Aww damn :( I hate you Steam. They offer me the demo, which I love, but there is no way I can buy it from Europe :(

I dont want to buy a non-steam game. :/
Buy it from 2dboy, no DRM, just a straight download.
Then use the key they give you to get it in Steam too. It says this is for pre-orders but it might still work, there should be a key in the link they'll send you.
I'm in the UK, pre-ordered and got it on Steam in this way. Even if it doesn't work, you've got it with no DRM - better than Steam.

tabsina

Banzaiaap said:
Aww damn :( I hate you Steam. They offer me the demo, which I love, but there is no way I can buy it from Europe :(

really? I live in Australia and could buy it off steam.. i would have thought the process was the same

CajoleJuice said:
Because the resolution is lower on the Wii?
the pc version is stuck in 800x600 and no widescreen support, so it just stretches the screen.. i think that'll be fixed in a patch though

rezuth

Banzaiaap said:

What? I got i perfectly fine from Sweden.

Mason

So I hadn't even gone into the Wii Shop Channel in months (since before they started doing WiiWare), and I had no idea what was available. I don't have time to play video games anymore, to be honest. But this weekend, I went in the shop channel to take a look around and saw this game. I remembered having heard about it online some time ago, so I checked out the reviews and found out everyone was going ape shit over it. So I figured, why not, I've never bought anything from one of these download services.

Anyway, amazing game. Reminds me of that old Bridge Builder game that I used to play back in the day.

Does anyone know if the soundtrack is going to be made available?

bee

tabsina said:
the pc version is stuck in 800x600 and no widescreen support, so it just stretches the screen.. i think that'll be fixed in a patch though

you can use any resolution by changing the values in config.txt, think anything over 1440x900 breaks it though as the continue chain thing is off the screen when you complete a level

TheClair

Neo Member
Peronthious said:

I purchased my copy of WoG at Walmart. That was in Canada, so I can't speak to the availability in the US.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
rezuth said:
What? I got i perfectly fine from Sweden.
Well, Europeans could buy and download the game right away when it was released on Steam. It was just a fuckup, however, because it was only supposed to be available in america :lol

So you got lucky. And so did I :)

GaimeGuy

Sounds like the wiiware and steam versions are doing well, but the retail version is selling poorly, and is plagued by piracy.

Now, I'm sure the wiiware and steam versions also are being pirated, but it sounds like it's the retail sales that are really hurting.

TheClair

Neo Member
GaimeGuy said:
Sounds like the wiiware and steam versions are doing well, but the retail version is selling poorly, and is plagued by piracy.

Now, I'm sure the wiiware and steam versions also are being pirated, but it sounds like it's the retail sales that are really hurting.

We don't know if the pirated versions are from the disc copy or the direct download version from 2DBoys. The version from 2DBoys has no copy protection, it's just a zip file with the game. The retail disc also has no copy protection. Very nice of them to trust their customers, too bad it's getting abused.

It also sounds like the retail version isn't even available yet in a lot of places. It'll take a little bit to see if it's selling poorly at retail or if it's not selling because it's not available at retail. I'm sure 2DBoys will post on their blog regarding it, they've been pretty open about things thus far.

TheClair said:
Very nice of them to trust their customers, too bad it's getting abused.

It's not about trust. It's about not inconveniencing the people who actually want to give them their money. And when the Crysis devs were whining about piracy, they were tossing around a 95% piracy rate. So this is lower.

Zachack

GaimeGuy said:

How would a steam version be pirated?

Linkup

The game surprised me. Nice soundtrack, great design, and some good writing. I'm taking it six or seven stages a day and I'm on the third stage with about five hours of play. Good stuff

Endgegner

Awesome game, just finished chapter 4, on to the epilogue. They really need to make World of Goo 2. The music is so good, incredible that only two guys made the game.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I still want to know if the Euro WiiWare release means that "extra level" the European retail version was supposed to get is now gone forever, or if we'll all get it later in a WiiWare update.

kottila

DavidDayton said:
I still want to know if the Euro WiiWare release means that "extra level" the European retail version was supposed to get is now gone forever, or if we'll all get it later in a WiiWare update.

It's coming on wiiware in Europe now too? Great news!

GC|Simon

DavidDayton said:

It's not gone forever, but it's gone for now. Maybe there will some kind of extra content in future, who knows.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
bee said:
http://gib.me/goo/widescreen_fix.zip

crude widescreen fix for the pc version, now the chain doesn't fall off the screen when you finish a level so you can use any resolution you want by changing the values in config.txt
Oh nice! I was having that problem as well. Evidence in the posting i made in the piracy thread. Thank you piracy thread for telling me about this epically fun game :D
vumpler said:
So this thread got me wondering what this game was. With this big of an uproar I figured the game couldn't be half bad.

So I'm in the middle of class playing it today and this guy behind me busts out laughing when my bridge started to fall. I thought he was just being a dick, but then...

GooWang.gif

Taxman

TheExodu5 said:
You guys all suck for not having bought this game! BUY IT NOW! GOTY! F U ALL!
Yeah, I've always thought that gaffers were the kind of people who would give small games like this the attention they deserve. That image is shaken every time I see this thread and its low post count. Should be past 1000 posts, easily.

Ydahs

Taxman said:
Yeah, I've always thought that gaffers were the kind of people who would give small games like this the attention they deserve. That image is shaken every time I see this thread and its low post count. Should be past 1000 posts, easily.
Once the game is released in Europe/Australia, I'm sure this thread will once again be alive, if only for a short while. Even so, if it gets more posts becuase of the EU release, hopefully those who haven't picked it up yet from the US will reconsider.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Taxman said:

GAF isn't the most indie-friendly forum out there. However, this shouldn't come as too much of a shock - most of the discussion is based around mainstream retail releases (and subsequently the console jihad crap over their sales figures). A fair number of them would rather bitch about the sales of Mario/Halo/LittleBigPlanet than play them, and the fact that they don't dig small indie games with relatively little press coverage is sort of a gimme.

I mean, I don't think we've even had a thread yet regarding this year's IGF entries.

Campster said:
GAF isn't the most indie-friendly forum out there. However, this shouldn't come as too much of a shock - most of the discussion is based around mainstream retail releases (and subsequently the console jihad crap over their sales figures). The fact that people who would rather bitch about the sales of Mario/Halo/LittleBigPlanet than play them don't dig small indie games with relatively little press coverage is sort of a gimme.

I mean, I don't think we've even had a thread yet regarding this year's IGF entries.
Braid had a huge thread--maybe we should PM anyone who posted in there about this game.

GaimeGuy

Portal got a ton of love, and damn I know people are going to laugh at me for saying this, but World of Goo is just as brilliantly creative, unique, and POLISHED of an experience as Portal, if you ask me. Maybe even more so.

And this "gaming" forum doesn't care about it because it isn't by Valve/Blizzard/Square Enix/Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo.

Seems to me the game gets a lot of appreciation around here, but maybe it's just that I hang around threads like this one and the WiiWare one so much.

PacoDG

I played the game and I liked it a lot. I don't have cash for it though, which sucks, as I want this on my Wii (I played it on PC.. but this seems so much fun from my couch with a Wiimote).

CTLance

I've played through this game three times now, twice on PC and once on my Mac. So good.

I have even introduced it to a friends' girlfriend, and this will lead to her getting the game as a christmas gift.

It's the perfect casual gamer gift for the holidays.

GaimeGuy said:
Portal got a ton of love, and damn I know people are going to laugh at me for saying this, but World of Goo is just as brilliantly creative, unique, and POLISHED of an experience as Portal, if you ask me. Maybe even more so.

And this "gaming" forum doesn't care about it because it isn't by Valve/Blizzard/Square Enix/Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo.
As far as Im concerned, World of Goo and Soul Bubbles are contenders for Game of the Year.

Taxman said:

Actually I think I'm the only one on this forum that really, really doesn't like it. It's the only game I've downloaded for Wii that I regret buying. I keep trying to go back to it in hopes that maybe it will click and suddenly become fun, but it just feels like a chore.

Top Bottom