• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft - Classic announced

If they add the LFG tool, I won't wanna play it. The appeal of vanilla was working to find a group. I know it seems counter intuitive, but when a group of people spend time looking for a group, the chances of people dropping are lower cause ya just spent an hour getting a group and hiking to the instance. I haven't played WoW since Panderia, but it all felt way less social and far more like I was running dungeons with bots. No communication, just get in, get loot, get out. Vanilla and BC had a lot more social interaction and it just felt more fun. Sure, things like leveling unarmed and things like that were kind of a chore, but I dunno. My nostalgia is really excited about it.

I really can't wait to play an epic hours long Alterac Valley. That was my jam.

Macattk15

Played Vanilla WoW back when it was Vanilla. No interest going back as I'm 34 now and don't have nearly as much time for the grind.

But enjoy it for those who do want this. I know people have been clamoring for it for a while.

I miss those good old times. I quit WoW years ago but if they make WoW Classic just like the Vanilla release with some tweeks Ill sign right back up. I played from almost right at release to 2010 ish. This game carried me though High School.

I really can't wait to play an epic hours long Alterac Valley. That was my jam.
It'll be interesting to see if they go with everything (including AV) as it was exactly at the end of classic, or pick and choose certain versions for certain content. Original AV being a lot different than AV at the end of classic, lot of servers were already bum rushing the AV bosses (thanks to gear and major changes to/removal of PvE in AV). It'd be hard to bum rush AV with noobs 60s, so we'll get slow ass AV for at least a while, for sure, but it's final version before TBC was pretty barren of PvE by that point so the bum rush AVs could come back pretty quick.

But I hope they go with classic '1.0' AV... original PvE balance... so, all the Syndicate, gnolls, and trolls that got wiped out by an avalanche, their original stats (their damage or just all PvE damage got nerfed at least once pretty good IIRC); the original Frostwolf or Stormpike soldiers that you summon also got nerfed pretty much half way through classic, and before classic was over, a pretty large portion of all npcs and even Korrak got removed.

I know they had hoped it would just make it a better PvP match but it just turned it into an even worse PvE race. So, at least in its original form, it was a pretty great and unique area, and had enough content that it could actually be a sort of 'home.' I used to practically live in there (as a Blademaster hhhh) back in the 24 hour AV days.

TTOOLL

Chances of this being playable on a MacBook air late 2017???

I don't even know if Wow is Mac compatible lol, I'm totally out of the loop.

lifa-cobex

Nice, but performance should be pretty bad I think. I mean, it's vanilla WoW but with updates graphics, right.

Not much information has been given.

If the graphics have been updated, I imagine it's still going to be pretty basic.
Nothing like FF14.
I would bet the only thing to be updated is the textures.

PrimeBeef

Not much information has been given.

If the graphics have been updated, I imagine it's still going to be pretty basic.
Nothing like FF14.
I would bet the only thing to be updated is the textures.
Unless they can get one of those original server blades back.

drexplora

limitations of the day catered to the type of gameplay that emerged in wow vanilla.
Everyone being forced to play with said limitations are what created the "vibrant, living" world.

Giving a few the opportunity to recreate only a part of what made that era of WoW great is cool... but you cant fully recreate what once was.

Maybe I am underestimating the volumes of people who would rally around "WoW Classic", but I don't see this capturing what once was.
I am sure most just want an opportunity to relive a great time period in their lives.

RPGCrazied

Don't know if want. 40 player raids was just loot drama for the most part. Blackwing lair included or just Molten Core?

Nekrono

I've been thinking a bit about this lately and honestly I don't think it will be very popular outside the small hardcore group that really wants it and will stick with it.

I think most people that played vanilla WoW even if it was a couple months prior to BC will remember it fondly, the game definitely had a different vibe back then but I think a lot of it comes from nostalgia which is why I think Classic will be popular only for a short time and then only a small group will stick with it.

So many systems in the game just don't fly well now and not only are they archaic by today's standard but also require an insane amount of time and grind, just getting attuned for Onyxia was a fucking chore that required a lot of time.

If Blizzard wants this to be somewhat successful at least in the longer term within the hardcore group that wants this they need to stick with the vanilla client/experience that means no LFG tool, no updated mechanics, visuals, etc, hell not even upgraded character models/textures.

I've been thinking a bit about this lately and honestly I don't think it will be very popular outside the small hardcore group that really wants it and will stick with it.

I think most people that played vanilla WoW even if it was a couple months prior to BC will remember it fondly, the game definitely had a different vibe back then but I think a lot of it comes from nostalgia which is why I think Classic will be popular only for a short time and then only a small group will stick with it.

So many systems in the game just don't fly well now and not only are they archaic by today's standard but also require an insane amount of time and grind, just getting attuned for Onyxia was a fucking chore that required a lot of time.

If Blizzard wants this to be somewhat successful at least in the longer term within the hardcore group that wants this they need to stick with the vanilla client/experience that means no LFG tool, no updated mechanics, visuals, etc, hell not even upgraded character models/textures.

Compared to current wow it won't have as many people playing, but if the private server populations are anything to go by there will be a very healthy population.

llien

So many systems in the game just don't fly well now and not only are they archaic by today's standard but also require an insane amount of time and grind, just getting attuned for Onyxia was a fucking chore that required a lot of time..

It was a chain of quests which actually made sense. No rep/whatever grinding involved.

Reorx

Geeze, it's like no one understands the point of this or something.

there is nothing wrong in having updated graphic, something like a remaster. Even other classic games like AoE2 benefited alot of an updated graphic without changing it's core.
The thing that people miss from vanilla WoW is the grind and the sense of accomplishment. Hell, even having a mount was an accomplishment. Raid bosses used to drop 1-2 items for 40 people, nowadays everyone can easily raid with LFR.

Nekrono

Compared to current wow it won't have as many people playing, but if the private server populations are anything to go by there will be a very healthy population.
Yeah hopefully it will be, even if I'm not part of it I would love to see streams of people raiding MC or Naxx in 40 mans.

It was a chain of quests which actually made sense. No rep/whatever grinding involved.

Absolutely, from a lore perspective it was great but back then I just wanted to raid and going through all those loops and getting the people needed to do the dungeons, etc, was a lot of work/time just to get inside the lair.

Played Vanilla WoW back when it was Vanilla. No interest going back as I'm 34 now and don't have nearly as much time for the grind.

But enjoy it for those who do want this. I know people have been clamoring for it for a while.

^this.

I loved vanilla back then but I wouldn’t go back now. It took forever to get to lvl 60 an I would never have got an epic mount if it weren’t for gold sellers. The grind was just way too much an so was the time sinks in gettin groups and doing dungeons.

Too old for all that now. I enjoy wow in its current casual state it’s very accessible for people like me who have a child an don’t have that much time to sink into it.

J-Rzez

They have my attention. Depends on price, graphics overhaul and engine refinement (yes please), if they keep the world and classes to spec (skill trees), and they keep whatever QoL things out like dungeon/raid finder.

Blizzard needs to realize who they're selling this to, who's asking for it.

I'd love vanilla and would be happy for it, but TBC was my FAV time for the game personally.

Sojiro

Super excited for this, I have played on some of the private servers but am stoked to have it be an official, and more importantly, stable version of vanilla to play on. I am curious how this will be priced though, I assume it will be tied to a current active WoW subscription, but will they tie it to the new expansion? I would hate to have to buy the new expansion just to play on vanilla (like the CoD 4 remastered "bundle") because I have no interest in the new expansion. I do have a bit more faith in blizzard than that so we will see. Really excited to jump in for an official relaunch of the game, even with its blemishes of being "outdated" and time consuming, WoW with a real community makes all the hardships worth it.

Gander

Banned
I think means the game is ready but they don't know how to charge people for it yet. It can't be the same price of normal WoW and they aren't going to let people play for free.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The same price point as the progression servers would kill it, because back in the days you paid for patches, content and server cost, where you now only pay for server cost, which by then should be far lower.

-MD-

I think means the game is ready but they don't know how to charge people for it yet. It can't be the same price of normal WoW and they aren't going to let people play for free.
The same price point as the progression servers would kill it, because back in the days you paid for patches, content and server cost, where you now only pay for server cost, which by then should be far lower.

Didn't they already say classic is included in the normal subscription fee?

dirthead

Banned

Yes. That's already a done deal.

The microsecond they announced that it was going to be based on the Legion WOW client, I lost all interest.

They should have started with the original client instead of working backwards. The whole appeal of "WOW Classic" is that it feels like the original WOW. They've made so many dumb changes to the client over the years (ability queue, moving tons of stuff from client side to server side because they couldn't figure out a proper way to stop cheaters, etc.) that the game feels nothing like it did originally. The original client was so responsive and awesome because a lot of shit wasn't actually done server side, but cheaters ruined it and during the WOTLK era they basically gutted the client and put a ton of things on the server side.

The Blizzcon demo confirmed this. It didn't feel like the original WOW. It felt like the current client, which it is. Original game code or don't bother, Blizzard. I don't care about anti-cheat mitigations or security. It's a fucking 15 year old game. I want the original as it was or nothing.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
Yeah.. they're going to fuck this up.

People really just need to accept the truth that there is no Blizzard anymore. There's an Activision team that calls itself Blizzard. Contemporary "Blizzard" is no more the Blizzard that people loved than the weirdo conglomerate that owns Atari is the original Sunnyvale California Atari.

People really just need to accept the truth that there is no Blizzard anymore. There's an Activision team that calls itself Blizzard. Contemporary "Blizzard" is no more the Blizzard that people loved than the weirdo conglomerate that owns Atari is the original Sunnyvale California Atari.
Same as Rare :'(

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

So I have to pay for something I'm not interested in to play? No thank you.

Blizzard are gonna be surprised when classic bombs.

Top Bottom