• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft Dragonflight Pre Orders Live

Holy shit. Releases this year. Was NOT expecting it. Thought it would be a Q1 2023.

I am assuming late November release or early December. Cataclysm came out in 2010 on the 10th of December.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Randy Savage Yes GIF by WWE

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Suppose people will need something else to do after WotLK Classic when get 80 and clear Sarth 3D in a week.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
There's zero way this doesn't get delayed.

It looks like by far the laziest expansion they've ever made, a December release wouldn't surprise me at all. Really feels like they're just phoning it in until the MS deal closes and they take over.

Last edited:
I don’t think they originally intended for this to be. I’m afraid that this will be rushed and shit will be cut to hit the release date.
That trailer was weak, but the concept it dope.

I imagine there's probably an uproar from guilds to get more content to fight the boredom and keep their roster intact as usual.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Is there going to be a physical CE?

Yes, $130 on the Blizzard shop. Includes an art book. Seriously tempted if it isn't already sold out.

WOWCGP0011_A.jpg

ManaByte

Gold Member
Have we just entered the milking phase? There is no way something quality launches that quickly.
Again, the final Shadowlands patch is over. Do you really expect them to let WoW sit for more than a year without new content? They wouldn't have a userbase left.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Blizzard lost all their talent.

Also, after playing on ascension I just can't go back to traditional classes.

Yes, $130 on the Blizzard shop. Includes an art book. Seriously tempted if it isn't already sold out.

WOWCGP0011_A.jpg
I bought it. Won't open it, I'll keep it sealed and sell it later. I'll be getting a review code from Blizzard anyways.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
It's confirmed for 2022.

"*World of Warcraft®: Dragonflight will be available on or before December 31, 2022"

Says right there on that page.
That is a placeholder date. There is zero chance they will release the expansion on a Saturday. There is also very little chance that they will release it right before a major holiday where most of their employees will have the day off.

They're not going to let the game sit for a year without any updates. The final Shadowlands patch is out and done. This is coming in October/November.
They have done it before, numerous times. This isn’t a new concept for Blizzard.

Last edited:
That is a placeholder date. There is zero chance they will release the expansion on a Saturday. There is also very little chance that they will release it right before a major holiday where most of their employees will have the day off.

They have done it before, numerous times. This isn’t a new concept for Blizzard.
Dude.... I work in the game industry and got the official press release. Please don't argue with me on release dates, I understand how marketing works in the industry and how they operate. No offense taken, i am just very confident in what i do and talk about.

Yes it's obvious they won't release on December 31st and yes it is a placeholder date for a 2022 Winter. My point is it's coming THIS year not that it's coming specifically December 31st lol.

It's officially confirmed for late 2022 window - here is the official confirmation that's in the full press release "The Collector’s Set is available today on the Official Blizzard Gear Store at https://gear.blizzard.com/collections/world-of-warcraft and will ship later this year."

If it doesn't release this year, you can ban me for 1 month.

Here is the full thing, read the bolded part towards the bottom. I am not making this up lol.

"IRVINE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Blizzard Entertainment announced today that Dragonflight, the next expansion to the massively multiplayer online role-playing game World of Warcraft®, is now available for pre-purchase at www.worldofwarcraft.com and is set to launch later this year. In Dragonflight, players will embark to the awakening Dragon Isles, the origin place of dragonkind, where the fabled dragon aspects have returned to claim their rightful home.

“This is your chance to get up close and personal with the rich history of the storied Dragon Isles, and to immerse yourself in the high-fantasy at the core of the Warcraft universe.”

The Dragon Isles feature four lush new zones for players to adventure through on their journey to the new level cap of 70: the vibrant Waking Shores, the verdant Ohn’ahran Plains, the sprawling Azure Span, and the resplendent Thaldraszus. Dragonriding, a new method of aerial movement, empowers players to soar through the skies of each new area in style atop customizable Dragon Isles Drakes. The isles are home to the all-new playable Dracthyr allied race, who mix the magics of the dragonflights with ranged damage and healer specializations as a solely dedicated Evoker hero class that start off at level 58.

"We are thrilled to share that we’ll be bringing our next expansion to players later this year. Dragonflight is a return to Azeroth, and the freedom and exploration that World of Warcraft is known for," said Executive Producer Holly Longdale. "This is your chance to get up close and personal with the rich history of the storied Dragon Isles, and to immerse yourself in the high-fantasy at the core of the Warcraft universe."

The expansion introduces an extensive overhaul of the game’s character talent system, which offers flavorful and impactful talent choices at every level. There are also significant updates to in-game professions with new work order and specialization systems, on top of a modernized and streamlined Heads Up Display (HUD) and User Interface (UI).

Digital Pre-Purchase Bonuses & Collector’s Edition

Dragonflight is available for digital pre-purchase as a Base edition ($49.99 SRP), Heroic edition ($69.99 SRP), and Epic edition ($89.99). Each digital edition includes one or more items for you to enlist in joining forces with the dragonflights as they reclaim their lost realm:

• Base Edition: Includes Drakks, a pre-purchase bonus pet to accompany you on your quests.
  • Heroic Edition: Includes Drakks pre-purchase bonus pet, the new Murkastrasza pet, a Dragonflight-level character boost (level 60), and a new Tangled Dreamweaver flying mount to soar on.
  • Epic Edition: Includes all Base and Heroic items, the Timewalker’s Hearthstone effect, the Diadem of the Spell-keeper head-slot transmog, the Wings of Awakening back-slot transmog in five color variants, and 30 days of game time.
Dragonflight also comes as a boxed Collector’s Set, which sports a trove of gear in addition to an Epic edition digital key and Drakks pet. With the Collector’s Set, players can explore Dragonflight’s visual development with the Art of Dragonflight hardcover book, upgrade their set-up with the powerful visage of an Alexstrasza mousepad, and add iconic representations of Azeroth’s five primary dragon flights in a five-pin collector’s set. The Collector’s Set is available today on the Official Blizzard Gear Store at https://gear.blizzard.com/collections/world-of-warcraft and will ship later this year.

To learn more about World of Warcraft: Dragonflight, visit the expansion’s official website at https://dragonflight.blizzard.com.

Assets are available at blizzard.gamespress.com/World-of-Warcraft.

About Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.

Best known for blockbuster hits including World of Warcraft, Hearthstone®, Overwatch®, the Warcraft®, StarCraft®, and Diablo® franchises, and the multifranchise Heroes of the Storm®, Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. (www.blizzard.com), a division of Activision Blizzard (NASDAQ: ATVI), is a premier developer and publisher of entertainment software renowned for creating some of the industry’s most critically acclaimed games. Blizzard Entertainment’s track record includes twenty-three #1 games† and numerous Game of the Year awards. The company's online gaming service, Battle.net, is one of the largest in the world, with millions of active players.

Last edited:

Brofist

Doesn't the alpha usually go live a good half year before release? Should be soon if it's releasing end of year.

Doesn't the alpha usually go live a good half year before release? Should be soon if it's releasing end of year.
Yep, people have spotted internal code changes already. Battle.net is starting to display Dragonflight Internal Alpha now instead of Shadowlands Internal Alpha. it will most likely start sometime in July or early August.

draliko

everytime i read someting about WoW my mind want to get back and install the game again... i must resist... i know it's just comfort food, but for the first month after you resub WoW is really nice

Ozzie666

I dunno man, Everquest 1 released very large and unique expansions annually for a long time, before changing to smaller DLC and the milking phase. I'm actually really surprised Blizzard went with a 2 year cycle, I always figured they were just somewhat slow at developing their gamers. With the resources available to Blizzard 12-18 month time frame should be doable.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I've seen a bit of info about that server. What's it like?
It's a classless world of Warcraft server.

You can either pick free pick server, where you can get any spell and any talent tree (you still have the same amount of points as retail), or draft mode.

Draft mode makes you choose between 3 random abilities each 2nd level.

You can end up having some pretty fun builds. There's also seasons where you can earn cosmetics, liketransmog stuff and mounts.

My level 61 iron-man (it's a character that gets extra rewards for getting to max level without dying) has fireball, divine shield, ice barrier, power word: shield, mass entanglement and many other funny spells.

Edit: also forgot to mention I'm running around with a hunter pet.

Last edited:

AV

Our private Wrath server started getting too buggy to play in ICC so sickeningly I might actually get roped into retail again this year.

The surrounding game has been dogshit for years but raiding with a big group of friends is still fun so, hell, might give it a go. Not like I'll be playing Classic again any time soon.

Top Bottom