• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft has 7.6 million subscribers (down 100K)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Stolen shamlessly from Rosti (thanks Rosti!)

They seem to be stabilizing a bit for now.

2m4ii2.png
Source: http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...86d3211/ATVI_Q3_press_release_with_tables.pdf

Dicer

Banned
Anything over 5 million is still pretty damned incredible, when you think of the monthly sub alone, never mind vanity shit, xfers and all that other nonsense.

DaBuddaDa

Anything over 5 million is still pretty damned incredible, when you think of the monthly sub alone, never mind vanity shit...

Anything over 1 million would still be pretty damned incredible IMO. Game is coming up on its 10th anniversary.

pizza dog

Banned
I remember when it was >11 million for several years. Still a bonkers number. Such a unique game; not sure if anything will ever be that kind of phenomena again. Almost certainly not in a monthly-fee pay structure.

ReRixo

Banned
Anything over 5 million is still pretty damned incredible, when you think of the monthly sub alone, never mind vanity shit, xfers and all that other nonsense.

a lot of those players don't play monthly fees (china)

10 years in and I'm sure every other MMO wishes it could those numbers. I still come back to this game every now and again and definitely will for the next xpac

The drop is a lot less then I was expecting. 7.6M Subs for a game hitting its 9th anniversary next week is pretty crazy.

I am still subbed, going on 7+ years now.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Surprised it's started to retain a bit more again with subs stabilizing. I'm guessing we'll hear about a new expansion at BlizzCon. Kinda intrigued about a possible revamped Outlands. Haven't really played the game since early Cataclysm, though. At this point, I have a feeling that I'll be viewing WoW similarly to how I do EQ1 where I only play a bit every few years in a fit of nostalgia. After playing religiously for years, the desire to continue investing large amounts of my time just isn't there anymore. Still a special place in my heart for WoW, though. =)

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Good to see numbers stabilized a bit. It was always a shame they were losing so many people during MoP when it has been a great expansion.

smr00

Banned
Blows my mind that a MMO that is almost 10 years old still has over 5 million people playing and paying to play.

It's amazing to me that this never went F2P (the SWTOR like model)

Still incredible numbers. This game will live in legend for decades, I can't see any other MMO ever come close. We're all so easily distracted now, WoW had to get it's a hooks into you before tablets/smartphones existed.
WOW 2 or Pokemon MMORPG.

We will never get a real proper pokemon MMORPG but WOW 2? It will happen eventually.

Blows my mind that a MMO that is almost 10 years old still has over 5 million people playing and paying to play.

It's amazing to me that this never went F2P (the SWTOR like model)

WOW 2 or Pokemon MMORPG.

We will never get a real proper pokemon MMORPG but WOW 2? It will happen eventually.

I think it hooked a lot of people that hadn't played MMO's before. Then it just spread like wildfire amongst friends. I played a couple MMO's before but never really got into min/max or dissecting the game. With WoW I fucking lived it.

I don't know if any MMO will do those kind of numbers again. I think most console games and phone games will start to move into MMO-ish type games and the populace will be divided.

But who knows, maybe WoW 2 will be something that does it all over again.

Plus it was a huge PC game, and PC's were starting to really catch on with the younger crowd IMO, 2004 and 2005 really saw the gaming PC take off.

Laieon

Yep, completely agree. Add the fact that it's 10 years old next year into the equation and it's not surprising at all.

Duxxy3

What's interesting isn't the loss, it's how they managed to slow down the losses. What did they do in the last quarter to slow the blood loss?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
What's interesting isn't the loss, it's how they managed to slow down the losses. What did they do in the last quarter to slow the blood loss?

New raid and had a free weeks trial, pretty much everyone I play with re-subbed.

Hari Seldon

I think it hooked a lot of people that hadn't played MMO's before. Then it just spread like wildfire amongst friends. I played a couple MMO's before but never really got into min/max or dissecting the game. With WoW I fucking lived it.

I don't know if any MMO will do those kind of numbers again. I think most console games and phone games will start to move into MMO-ish type games and the populace will be divided.

But who knows, maybe WoW 2 will be something that does it all over again.

Wow has been out so long an entire new generation of gamers that was in diapers when it came out will be prime age for WoW 2.

Ezzme

Neo Member
Just re-subbed a little over a month ago. Was super skeptical of MoP and remember a ton of bad feedback for the launch of the expansion. But after seeing some friends get back into it again, I decided to get back into it. Really surprised how much I enjoyed coming back. Having a ton of fun playing right now and really enjoy the expansion overall.

Not to mention they've got me so far locked in to the next expansion if they keep this up and announce some neat features. MoP is probably my 2nd favorite expansion so far, really great so far and as long as the wait isn't too long I think I will have plenty to do going into the next expansion.

VandalD

I assumed their numbers would drop more than that. It will be interesting to see how Warlords of Draenor (if that is its real name) affects things.

kirblar

Now that they're free from Vivendi's vampirism, they're doing mass hiring (I think they're aiming at 180% of their previous levels) trying to get content out much more quickly. It's crazy to think that the game probably could have been even more successful than it was had they gotten the proper level of funding.

Wow has been out so long an entire new generation of gamers that was in diapers when it came out will be prime age for WoW 2.

True, but that's the same case with any game really. I think it had a lot of things going for it. PC gaming in general was kind of taking off. Kids were way more into PC's and using them than just a few years earlier with EverQuest and such.

I'm not saying it can't happen again. But it really feels like what the Wii was for motion gaming and what the Oculus Rift may be for VR.

I'm not sure if the monthly model is going to work as well anymore with so many F2P options.

I, like a lot of hardcore gamers, was very into WoW for a bit. 2nd guild on the server, etc. Makes me want to go back just for nostalgia's sake.

Chris R

I, like a lot of hardcore gamers, was very into WoW for a bit. 2nd guild on the server, etc. Makes me want to go back just for nostalgia's sake.

It isn't the same, coming from a former raider of a top Horde guild (well, top for our server, but Alliance always were ahead, damn Pallys!)

Still fun to get a Panda from 1-90 but nothing at 90 made me want to stick around :(

Hari Seldon

Show me the reciepts.

Really, I think this number as always is HUGELY inflated.

Well yeah, they want the uninformed to believe that they are all $15/month paying western subs. You have to know the west/east breakdown to determine how bad this is.

ref

I'd be interested in knowing how many of these people have played from launch, or even TBC and are still subscribed now.

I played during start of BC up until ICC in Wrath, and when I logged in for shits and giggles on one of the many trials Blizzard loves sending I found that almost nobody I played with still plays.

Count me in the 7.6 million. I still play almost daily, if only to fuck around with Heroics/pet battles/Battlegrounds/dailies. I do LFR once or twice a week too.

I've been playing since launch and the game is better than it has ever been. MoP is a legendary expansion and has raised the bar a great deal. I'm really curious what the next expansion will do to try and top it.

Top Bottom