• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Lain

I've been messing around with all 3 specs in the past couple days, and Destruction is now my favorite spec for dungeons and questing. On raid bosses Demonology can pull ahead, and it suffers less from downtime issues when you have to move since your pets keep chomping away.

I just can't warm up to Affliction. You build the dots and channel Drain Soul and the bar just disappears.. but there's no satisfaction to it. It's empty. That's why I don't play it even though it actually does perform super well.

I find the dotting and then going to town draining to be satisfying enough. Mostly because, thanks to Malefic Grasp, the forced draining as the filler finally managed to not feel pitiful but also because the ability to do damage, improve my damage and heal myself all at the same time gives me that I'm untouchable! feel, at least until I pull too much and they destroy me.

The only reason I made a Warlock was because I wanted to play a dot class again after a long time, so both Destruction and Demonology, with the lesser focus on dots, aren't as appealing as Affliction to me.

Westlo

Any good moneymaking suggestions these days? I might have to unsub to save money but I would like to try to buy those tokens... only they're insanely expensive now.

Kinda missed the boat on new patch prices.... like Felslate ore was 29-30g each just a few days ago, I've sold several stacks for 50g per ore after patch... got 4x200 stacks @ 61g (nearly 12k all up) right now....

If you've got a level 110 Rogue you can farm 30k an hour with the new pickpocket quest turnin they introduced this patch.

edit: Just to elaborate, using tokens or considering using tokens doesn't mean that person can't afford to pay for a sub with real currency. I do it because I can and because the gold is just a byproduct of how I normally play. The only month I've paid for with real money since Legion launch was my first month, as I was resubbing for the first time since Cata.

I haven't paid for my sub since I came back either apart from the first month... but you'l seriously have people doing stuff like the above Rogue farm to get a token. 5-6 hours of gametime as opposed to 30-60 mins of actual work.... not exactly efficient...

But yeah making money is a by product of how I play anyway, heck it was pretty much the main reason for me to play Mists....

Doing the missions every day is no big deal. I wouldn't level up 9 characters just to do this, but for someone who is the type to run 9 characters anyway, it's not much more of a leap to get a free ride by doing the missions.

And it's easier than ever to level up new characters now.... with the upgraded heirlooms and demon assaults... so getting 9-12 classes pumping out gold missions is going to happen eventually if you want to dab in every class.

Demon assaults are a godsend for order resources too... was a pain in the ass having to spend bloods on them so I can do the 5% XP missions for a few characters... I know they've fixed this issue but I'm not going to waste bloods anymore on that when I can get enough resources from demon invasions.

And it's become very alt friendly all of a sudden for casual play.... especially with the hotfix to AP knowledge and the hidden change to crafted gear (paying 20k-40k for a perfect stat item @ 900ilevel is pretty good....)

Xeilyn

You sound exactly like me. I actively played WoW from vanilla all the way up through Lich King and then stopped. I'd come back and play each new xpac but would leave after 1-2 months. Like you, real life got in the way and just didn't have the time like I used to. I also have about 2-3 hours a night to play and recently came back to Legion and I'm having fun even with that limited play time. I'll knock out a few quests in the broken isles and then do some crafting. I have no plan on raiding but I'd like to get my rogue geared up enough that I could run Mythics with some friends.

I would say go for it!
Thanks for the input! I think ill give it a go.

Faiz

I actually want to do this, but the math didn't add up for me. The max I've seen gold missions give is about 2000g (gold + bonus) at 200%. With tokens currently at 146,000g, that's 73 gold missions a month across all characters. I've seen them pop up once or twice a week on each toon. At 2 gold missions per toon a week, that's about 8/month per toon.

So you would have to have a stable of at least 9 900 ilevel Champions to maintain this. Without mission any missions. Does that sound right?

I have three. /shrug

It is gettbig tougher with recent inflation but I'm still staying ahead of the curve.

Edit: I misread the last line initially, but I still think my reading was in line with what you meant maybe? For clarification I only have three level 110 toons, each with max ilevel champions. I get well more than two gold missions per toon per week. Hell earlier this week I had three gold missions running at the same time on a single toon, though that is exceedingly rare.

Tarazet

I find the dotting and then going to town draining to be satisfying enough. Mostly because, thanks to Malefic Grasp, the forced draining as the filler finally managed to not feel pitiful but also because the ability to do damage, improve my damage and heal myself all at the same time gives me that I'm untouchable! feel, at least until I pull too much and they destroy me.

The only reason I made a Warlock was because I wanted to play a dot class again after a long time, so both Destruction and Demonology, with the lesser focus on dots, aren't as appealing as Affliction to me.

Demonology has that untouchable feeling too, especially in PVP. And that goes back to the point I made about not suffering much damage loss from downtime. You crowd controlled me? Oh noes I can't shadow bolt your face, but my Felguard can just stun you right back.

v1perz53

Bleh, not really feeling like logging in the past few days, the Guardian changes really soured me on the spec I've been playing as a main since WotLK. Not about numbers either, certainly Guardian is still numerically in a better spot than pretty much ever, but this is the first large step back in interactivity and fun of the bear rotation in a while.

Resource generation nerfed, GG proc rate nerfed (so more swipe spam less interesting reactivity), Maul put on the GCD, Ursol removed. Just feels slow and clunky now, especially in M+ dungeons. And two garbage legendaries added when I still don't have any of the tank ones I actually want to cloud the drop chances.

Kinda makes me sad since despite all the problems I was really enjoying legion, but the one thing that really rubs me the wrong way is reducing interactivity and dumbing down rotations, I hate when my class becomes more boring from a patch, nerf the passives don't remove my actives. Doesn't look to be a good week, since FF XIV coming out with a new patch that dumbs down my favorite Job in that game too!

cdyhybrid

Bleh, not really feeling like logging in the past few days, the Guardian changes really soured me on the spec I've been playing as a main since WotLK. Not about numbers either, certainly Guardian is still numerically in a better spot than pretty much ever, but this is the first large step back in interactivity and fun of the bear rotation in a while.

Resource generation nerfed, GG proc rate nerfed (so more swipe spam less interesting reactivity), Maul put on the GCD, Ursol removed. Just feels slow and clunky now, especially in M+ dungeons. And two garbage legendaries added when I still don't have any of the tank ones I actually want to cloud the drop chances.

Kinda makes me sad since despite all the problems I was really enjoying legion, but the one thing that really rubs me the wrong way is reducing interactivity and dumbing down rotations, I hate when my class becomes more boring from a patch, nerf the passives don't remove my actives. Doesn't look to be a good week, since FF XIV coming out with a new patch that dumbs down my favorite Job in that game too!
As someone who mained DK and OSed Blood in WoD, I feel you.

Flat out removing Ursol seems like a pretty drastic approach. The main bear concerns previously were 1) too strong and 2) too simple. Best solution would be to address both, but they chose to address 1 (which needed to be addressed) while making 2 worse.

Not uncommon from Blizzard but always disappointing to see. Wish they had bothered exploring a solution where Ursol was nerfed but kept and adjustments were made to passive magic mitigation to compensate. Add a CD. Make it mitigate less.

Does anybody like hitting maul?

cdyhybrid

cKroZJ2.png

🤔

v1perz53

Flat out removing Ursol seems like a pretty drastic approach. The main bear concerns previously were 1) too strong and 2) too simple. Best solution would be to address both, but they chose to address 1 (which needed to be addressed) while making 2 worse.

Not uncommon from Blizzard but always disappointing to see. Wish they had bothered exploring a solution where Ursol was nerfed but kept and adjustments were made to passive magic mitigation to compensate. Add a CD. Make it mitigate less.

Does anybody like hitting maul?

Every time they try to "fix" Maul it just ends up being different, but still bad. Before, you could use it to dump rage for some damage freely, but it was such a piddly amount it felt awful. Now, it does solid damage, but it competes for a spot in your rotation in such a way as to feel bad, especially if using GG since it competes against Mangle procs, GG procs and Thrash CD, all of which do comparable damage but feel better to press. Not to mention how dumb it feels during Incarn offensively to either ignore Maul and cap rage or use Maul and ignore the benefits of Incarn. Honestly though, I preferred the old version, rage dumps feel better to me off-GCD, less fiddly in the rotation. I'd honestly want the old version back, buff the damage a small amount and add the 2 target cleave glyph baseline, that's all I want from Maul.

Prot war has a similar issue with the redesigned Revenge, but at least theirs seems to be thought out a little better. For one, revenge is AoE so it feels like a nice DPS boost in those situations, and for another it fits a bit better in their kit. The procs for free Revenge naturally in the rotation and the interaction with resetting Shield Slam (longer CD than Mangle baseline) just make it work a bit better than newMaul. If Maul really has to be on GCD at least give it 3-5 target cleave or something.

Nokterian

Shame how they did this..i liked bear tanking how it was and yet we see how it screwed again.

Tarazet

Anyone had any luck crafting a ring or necklace with a double stat roll? The selection of anything crafted on the AH is extremely limited right now since everyone wants the easy 900 gear.

Lyng

Hey WoW-gaf. I left the game after finishing my review of Legion. Mostly due to having no time on hand at the time.
Is it worth it to jump back in if I am only interested in doing 5-mans? And how is the state of shadow priest and subtlety rogue?

Hey WoW-gaf. I left the game after finishing my review of Legion. Mostly due to having no time on hand at the time.
Is it worth it to jump back in if I am only interested in doing 5-mans? And how is the state of shadow priest and subtlety rogue?

I just jumped into Legion 2 nights ago (last time I played was Hellfire raid in Draenor) and instead of playing one of my old toons, decided to boost a Priest (the original class I played, way back in Vanilla).

And let me tell you - it wasn't fun. I was dying to regular mobs, and couldn't aoe for shit. Thats nothing new, but the suitability was terrible. Maybe it was just because I was boosted and had bad gear - who knows.

Anyway, I switched to my warlock and am now have much more fun, and pretty much can't be killed.

Goddamnit, I'm having bad problems with RNG it seems. I opened 5 Legionfall caches and got nothing but, 2 ilevel 850 items. I've farmed Mythic + dungeons and LFR and received junk. Am I ever going to get my ilevel to be 900 or a legendary?

v1perz53

Goddamnit, I'm having bad problems with RNG it seems. I opened 5 Legionfall caches and got nothing but, 2 ilevel 850 items. I've farmed Mythic + dungeons and LFR and received junk. Am I ever going to get my ilevel to be 900 or a legendary?

Well you can technically buy your way to 900 now since every crafted piece can be upgraded to 900 with enough Obliterum and Blood of Sargeras, so you can entirely bypass RNG if you're willing to spend the cash... At least I'm an alchemist so I've made a KILLING selling obliterum past few days. I laughed so hard at that Infernal Alchemist's Stone R3 recipe, thinking "why does this exist" but looks like the jokes on me turns out to be the best recipe ingame.

Sad thing is because you can technically pick your stats for crafted items they are better 900s than anything that drops in up to Heroic NH (and maybe even Mythic cause of itemization)

Lyng

I just jumped into Legion 2 nights ago (last time I played was Hellfire raid in Draenor) and instead of playing one of my old toons, decided to boost a Priest (the original class I played, way back in Vanilla).

And let me tell you - it wasn't fun. I was dying to regular mobs, and couldn't aoe for shit. Thats nothing new, but the suitability was terrible. Maybe it was just because I was boosted and had bad gear - who knows.

Anyway, I switched to my warlock and am now have much more fun, and pretty much can't be killed.

I leveled my priest in disc back when legion launched. Took awhile but got there :b
Both my priest and rogue are max level, just need to know which is best for 5 mans.

Tarazet

Well you can technically buy your way to 900 now since every crafted piece can be upgraded to 900 with enough Obliterum and Blood of Sargeras, so you can entirely bypass RNG if you're willing to spend the cash... At least I'm an alchemist so I've made a KILLING selling obliterum past few days. I laughed so hard at that Infernal Alchemist's Stone R3 recipe, thinking "why does this exist" but looks like the jokes on me turns out to be the best recipe ingame.

Sad thing is because you can technically pick your stats for crafted items they are better 900s than anything that drops in up to Heroic NH (and maybe even Mythic cause of itemization)

That's why I am turning to jewelcrafting. The idea of an item level 900 pure Haste ring with a socket, on a demo lock, is enough to make me weak in the knees. But that's going to be an adventure.

cdyhybrid

Mythic+ is still a thing. There's another tuning round next week so check back in then.

Fjordson

Wait I may have actually have a use for the hundreds of Blood I have in my bags??

Syf

Banned
I want to hug whoever decided it was finally time to fix Blackwing Lair in 7.2.5. That first boss is a breeze now.

Maximus.

Been levelling an alt Hunter with a friend, while we reacquaint ourselves with WoW. I started with Beast Master and thought it was okay, but wasn't the biggest fan of the rotation. It wasn't bad, but then I did some research and found that MM is potentially more viable end game? Trying it out for the first time today and see the positives and negatives. Mainly focus on RNG dmg and what not and no focus on pet. Just wondering people's thoughts on what spec is better to focus on for all end game aspects? Does it really even matter?

v1perz53

Only took 10 years. Maybe by 2021 Spine of Deathwing and Immerseus will be tolerable

Spine of deathwing isn't too bad since at least you can stick yourself in one of the grabby pools, alt tab, read GAF for a few min and come back to like 100 bloods spawned, only takes a minute or so to finish after that. Immersius could use some work though for sure.

But honestly I'd rather they focus on making bosses that are fully impossible possible before they make the possible but annoying ones less annoying, at least at a more tolerable pace. They finally fixed Gorefiend in HFC so you could solo him only to not fix Zaakun right after, where he still despawns if you don't have pets or something as a secondary target.

Spine is the same as Razorgore to me where its an annoying mechanic that can instakill you that just takes time and you cant out DPS it and skip mechanics.

Immerseus is by far the worst because theres nothing to that fight and it will take 12-15 minutes depending on difficulty no matter what.

They recently made Yogg-Saron create portals into his mind faster and made Razorgore kill eggs faster, so maybe next they can skip the RP on Kael in TK and skip the RP in Dragon Soul.

I need to be exalted to finish Suramar? Are you fucking joking? I really feel like giving up. It took me a month to get here and now it's gunna take a minimum of another?

That Spirit Bomb nerf. Have to wonder how abilities make it live in a state that requires a 1/3 nerf.

Got Sephuz on my bear last week and Oakheart today. New cloak, new ring, Skysec, Luffa and Prydaz left. I think I know exactly how this is going to go.

I probably should have just leveled a second druid purely for Balance months ago. Want Luffa before I switch loot spec.

I need to be exalted to finish Suramar? Are you fucking joking? I really feel like giving up. It took me a month to get here and now it's gunna take a minimum of another?

It can take a while. It's technically 20k/21k revered when the last quests open up, but that's effectively exalted. Now imagine having two dungeons locked behind the rep grind (albeit at an earlier stage) like it was at launch. The Suramar campaign and the 7.1 continuation of it was good content but the rep grind was just pure annoyance.

Mitch

Banned
Maybe it's because I enjoy farming rep, questing and achievement hunting, but Suramar was not only easy, but amazing story wise. What's the issue?

Lain

Got my Rogue class mount. The first 3 marks were easy enough, only died at the Night Elf one because I had no idea she'd shout to aggro every single mob at the party. So much for CCing the two NPCs next to her to avoid aggroing too much stuff. I killed her before they killed me though so it was fine.
Had to wait till 4am to do Stormwind because pesky Alliance players kept going back and forth in front of the AH circling like vultures to show off their mounts and whatever else the people that keep running around in the front of the AH do.
Thanks to not finding many people around at such a time I managed to escape alive.

The quest hasn't been too bad since I managed to not find people around and when I did find people around, I waited until 4am (though why are people still up at 4am!!! Damn you guys go to sleep). That said, the PvP slant of the quest didn't really please me. The infiltration part was fun (in Exodar) but as a PvE player on a PvE server I'd rather have an infiltration scenario that didn't put me into PvP situations.

One of these days The Stars Design will drop, one of these days.

It's when you're not looking for it that it will drop. 2 days ago I was doing some WQ in Suramar on my mage for some AP tokens and out of the blue I got it. I didn't even remember it was supposed to drop there.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

If you see any order hall missions for Nightfallen Rep tokens, they give 1500 now instead of 250.

Between that, Suramar WQ emissary (1500), Kirin Tor Emissary choice (750), Suramar dailies (including the withered training every 3 days), and story quests, it definitely won't take another month. (Incidentally, more Suramar WQs unlock as you get farther in the story)

The biggest 'hurdle' on foot is unlocking the flight paths, bigger 'wallet' for the mana fragments or w/e, and unlocking all the portals (including the ones inside Suramar itself), some of which are story-gated.

As long as you're Dauntless geared or higher and use Group Finder, it won't be too bad, tbh. Plus, if you have AK40 (or even close to it), the AP rewards are pretty massive.

Nokterian

Like others said having the last two chapters are tied to reputation but you can get in less than a few days when doing WQ..Emissary quests but also using the mana to do the challenge you can get a lot of reputation from that also.

I know i wanted to give up also but i went on just to unlock flying and it is pretty worth it after that you don't have to worry anymore.

Westlo

Been back playing WoW for about 20 days now... quit (or more like just stopped logging in and didn't have time to play) not to long after 7.15 came out... maybe a month?

Powered through the Suramar quests and other related stuff so i can get flying... only had like 3 chains done out of the... 13 or so you have to do for Good Suramartian. Just arrgh at some of them ancient mana cockblocks....

That's good... if you get a legendary after Tomb opens you'll get a 970 ilevel one instead of a 940 right now. Sure you can do the quest to bump it up but that takes time... still haven't got a legendary on my mage (that's my first alt to hit 110) and i don't see one until next week I don't really mind.

Started my first alt last night, a Disc Priest. I boosted all his heirloom gear, which was about 50k total, but grants 50% exp increase. Add to that full rest bonus and I am gaining a lvl per invasion. With flying and group finder I can do all invasions in a zone in about 15 minutes. Its crazy as hell.

I'm going to get my Monk, Death Knight, Warlock, Demon Hunter, and Shaman to the same lvl next. Its just so simple now. It will take an hourish each to get them to 101 with their weapon of choice, but after that I'll just log them in one at a time and do any invasion that happens to be up. It will take 250k+ gold to get all their respective heirlooms up to par as well.

Does anyone here have any experience playing on servers on other continents? Is it playable in a raid enviroment? I would love to get into raiding, but I can only play from midnight CEST, and most late night raiding guilds seem to start from 2300. Considering making a character on some US-East servers.

lazygecko

Does anyone here have any experience playing on servers on other continents? Is it playable in a raid enviroment? I would love to get into raiding, but I can only play from midnight CEST, and most late night raiding guilds seem to start from 2300. Considering making a character on some US-East servers.

Eastern US servers are very doable from Europe.

Magnus

Started my first alt last night, a Disc Priest. I boosted all his heirloom gear, which was about 50k total, but grants 50% exp increase. Add to that full rest bonus and I am gaining a lvl per invasion. With flying and group finder I can do all invasions in a zone in about 15 minutes. Its crazy as hell.

I'm going to get my Monk, Death Knight, Warlock, Demon Hunter, and Shaman to the same lvl next. Its just so simple now. It will take an hourish each to get them to 101 with their weapon of choice, but after that I'll just log them in one at a time and do any invasion that happens to be up. It will take 250k+ gold to get all their respective heirlooms up to par as well.

Yeah, I foresee doing a lot of alt levelling over the next 6 months purely through invasions and unique class/order hall content. It's great!

I'm an alchemist. I like money. Teach me?

What do I need to do to get on this cash train?

Tarazet

I'm an alchemist. I like money. Teach me?

What do I need to do to get on this cash train?

The 3-star Infernal Alchemist Stone recipe has a chance to make multiple stones. Each one blows up for between 120-170 Obliterum Ash. If you proc multiples then you've just multiplied the cost of the mats by several times.

Top Bottom