• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

How much honor do you get from a random battle ground?

It depends on which one and how it plays out. Alterac Valley, for example, can give a full honor level if things go well. Objectives, good amount of honor kills, and a win. It's rare for this to happen. The others give a small chunk of an honor level.

Alliance just seems to win so rarely that I figured I'd get prestige much faster as Horde. Yesterday it took eleven battlegrounds before we won. I've noticed people tend to go off on their own a lot and just focus on honor kills while Horde will stay together as a group.

erawsd

solo content in Legion is the best the game ever had. theres plenty to do and everything is extremely motivating and rewarding

Yeah, it really has been. I think the legendaries/Artifact grind is forever going to sour how this expansion is remembered... however, the quantity and variety of content is just way beyond any other expansion.

Moff

Yeah, it really has been. I think the legendaries/Artifact grind is forever going to sour how this expansion is remembered... however, the quantity and variety of content is just way beyond any other expansion.

as a purely solo player, I liked the artifact and legendary grind and thought it was incredibly motivating. I did world quests for months, I never did dailies that long before
as a guildplayer/regular HC/M raider, I understand it could have been very annoying

iFirez

Always interested in reading a new player's impressions so please keep posting these. Glad you're still enjoying.

Thanks.

And yeah, when people told me leveling in Outland was boring they weren't kidding... 65 and seriously bored at the quest objectives, at least Blade's Edge Mountains looks unique so is fun to look at.

Nokterian

I love this expansion, best one in a longtime from blizzard. Suramar was one of not they best experience i had from all chapters to get my mount and even Balance of Power.

The grind of my artifact right now is not so much a chore since i can give all my alts AK40 level and level them up fast. But i am working on my druid who is level 54 right now next level 1.1 billion AP..a long way to go.

Syf

Banned
Thanks.

And yeah, when people told me leveling in Outland was boring they weren't kidding... 65 and seriously bored at the quest objectives, at least Blade's Edge Mountains looks unique so is fun to look at.
Yeah, whenever I level an alt it's right around there that the temptation to buy a boost is strongest lol. Wrath is better and it continues to improve. Maybe check out Nagrand if you haven't yet.

As for Legion I agree with you guys. Love the expansion and excited about where it's going.

Loxley

Thanks.

Outland is like hitting a brick-fucking-wall these days. It's a shame that Blizzard abandoned their plans to update it, but then again they've lowered the amount of XP required to level through it so much over the years that there's no point in trying to fix it anymore. But yeah, things get better once you hit 68-69 and can go to Northrend.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Outland is like hitting a brick-fucking-wall these days. It's a shame that Blizzard abandoned their plans to update it, but then again they've lowered the amount of XP required to level through it so much over the years that there's no point in trying to fix it anymore. But yeah, things get better once you hit 68-69 and can to Northrend.

I liked the idea of making both Outland and Northrend level 60-80 so you could mix and match (or not) at will.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Y'all should have lvled all your alts too 100 pre-Legion with the invasions!

(I did all classes except Rogue back then, my Rogue is the only 60 I have)

edit: duh had 2 normal knowledge scrolls ready and waiting lol

Leveling an heirloom'd warlock through legacy dungeon content is cake. Our Worgen Prot Warrior from Moonguard who was in the Goldshire Inn (ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww) dc'd before entering the dungeon instance, no problem, tanked the dungeon with Affliction Warlock and Voidwalker. Twas fun.

So, I'm now level 60, stuck in Outland but still enjoying my time - this is the furthest I've ever levelled so it's quite amazing. I'm planning on running a few dungeons tonight and then moving on to a new area in Outland to speed the levelling up a little.

I'm also a little addicted to the auction house, I've been selling different drops that I have no interest in - mostly crafting materials and I've made enough gold to buy an heirloom or two which has helped with the levelling.

I look forward to getting beyond Outland and seeing what Northrend and the rest of the game has to offer.

Man, I envy you walking through that pass from Hellfire Peninsula into Zangarmarsh for the first time. You go from the angry red, bleak and desolate Hellfire Peninsula to the alien, cerulean mushroom jungle and marshes of Zangarmarsh, it really feels like you're on an alien world. And the ambient music is just so chill and relaxing. I know that a lot of people feel TBC's questing is old and busted but that's one of my favourite PVE zones to play through in all of WoW.

Nokterian

Leveling an heirloom'd warlock through legacy dungeon content is cake. Our Worgen Prot Warrior from Moonguard who was in the Goldshire Inn (ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww) dc'd before entering the dungeon instance, no problem, tanked the dungeon with Affliction Warlock and Voidwalker. Twas fun.

Man, I envy you walking through that pass from Hellfire Peninsula into Zangarmarsh for the first time. You go from the angry red, bleak and desolate Hellfire Peninsula to the alien, cerulean mushroom jungle and marshes of Zangarmarsh, it really feels like you're on an alien world. And the ambient music is just so chill and relaxing. I know that a lot of people feel TBC's questing is old and busted but that's one of my favourite PVE zones to play through in all of WoW.

That was indeed a great experience walking into that area,the music made it so damn comfortable.

Fjordson

Totally agree.

I do think BC questing feels a bit archaic now compared to newer expansions or the revamped Cata zones, but Outland was beautifully designed. Incredible visuals, great music and some really fun characters and lore.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Got the druid mount (well, owl form), halfway done with monk and priest, and started broken shore with Warlock... alt thangs.

Speaking of Locks, started getting into demo again, and then quickly got annoyed with it, exactly the same way it was when I first tried it when Legion launched lol :(

Like I see what they were trying to do, but it feels so fucking clunky my god.

Just make all his spells instant like a hunter (except shadowbolt I guess) and it would solve a lot of the problems. Dreadstalkers take forever to come out, imps take forever to come out, there's just no flow to it.

Nokterian

Got the druid mount (well, owl form), halfway done with monk and priest, and started broken shore with Warlock... alt thangs.

Speaking of Locks, started getting into demo again, and then quickly got annoyed with it, exactly the same way it was when I first tried it when Legion launched lol :(

Like I see what they were trying to do, but it feels so fucking clunky my god.

Just make all his spells instant like a hunter (except shadowbolt I guess) and it would solve a lot of the problems. Dreadstalkers take forever to come out, imps take forever to come out, there's just no flow to it.

Demonology is at a bad place not for one on one encounters like doing bosses, it is pretty strong there but overall to me it feels of. And yes when you finally have everything up that mob is already dead since you can't do full damage.

Rhaknar

Demonology is at a bad place not for one on one encounters like doing bosses, it is pretty strong there but overall to me it feels of. And yes when you finally have everything up that mob is already dead since you can't do full damage.

Im not talking numbers, because well my gear is wank, I had to buy crafted epics just so I could have 840s pop up in WQs (lol), just the feel of the spec just feels off. Weaving that haste buff shit in between pet casts could be interesting, kinda like that monk shit where you have to use a different skill each time, but not when everything is 1.5 sec cast time or whatever they are (feels like 5sec cast times tbh).

Bums me out man!

Tarazet

Demo is definitely in a weird place. When the content is super hard and punishing, Demo is really, really good, because it is a super durable spec that performs extremely well when the fights take longer. You can also take the standard raiding build into M+ and do really well with it, because it still has good sustained damage with Demonwrath and Hand of Doom. So if you are in a dedicated guild group that is pushing high keys for bragging rights and to get high TF gear, or if you are a mythic raider, Demo is really attractive. If you're farming easy content then you should just play Destruction, because it has much faster damage.

And if you're doing world quests, forget it. Destruction runs circles around it in the open world.

They basically carved up Demonology and gave its better parts to Shadow Priests and, to a lesser extent, Demon Hunters. What they came up with as a replacement with isn't exactly cohesive or fun. You have ramp up time, your summons have ramp up time and you have a lot of DoTs and timers to keep track of. Unless you're in a protracted battle, you're not going to do decent damage. And Demonic Empowerment just sucks.

The artifact is cool as fuck tho.

Rhaknar

WTF does the demonology artifact advancement quest have to do with demonology? o_O

and its just left unfinished, whut?

erawsd

WTF does the demonology artifact advancement quest have to do with demonology? o_O

and its just left unfinished, whut?

Are you talking about the Broken Shore Artifact Quests? If so, those aren't unique. There's like a pool of 6 quest chains that are shared between everyone, though they did make it so that each spec within a class has a different one. The final part of the quest is only available if the Mage Tower is up on the Broken Shore.

Moff

This may be very dumb, but wasnt there a class hall perk once so that relics would have 2 artefact traits? Did I miss this or was it canned?

sorry but not..
the amount of grinding for artifact power, the woes of farming legendaries for your offspec..
thanks but no thanks..
legendaries should have been like "reach a certain amount of contribution point every month//4 weeks"--> get a legendary

as is, legendaries feels very "distant" to players doing only competitive raid..
e.g. I temporarily disappeared for the last 2 months and half for work... I have to switch spec now and I have zero legs for it.. guess what will happen? and no, doing wq and lfr is not possible..
I work, I work out, I go outside and for me the game is an enjoyable slice of my time but that's that..
when they dropped the grind from vanilla into tbc it was a glorious choice..

i'm fine with some stuff, cosmetic mostly, being gated behind grind-wall..
but making it so that literally by farming over and over m+ you can get absurd items // get legendaries faster..
and the daily grind of wq..

what they did with wod was stupid.. the world was empty, you had nothing to do, which made it "good" for those like me that just do the high end raid, but a piss-poor experience for the guys that want to "do stuff, everything!!"..
but what they did with legion is doing a 180° and spitting in the face of those that play the game but cannot really commit more than 10-15 hours//week (and at 15 it's REALLY a stretch..)....

oh well..

just.. nope..

demonology is decent as far as spec go, but..
1) moving is TOO punishing.. even with the assumption that you know how to play your char and minimize the movement, and you know damn well who you can expect to move towards you more readily than you moving towards them when doing some mechanics, ultimately there's no way around it...
2) aoe is... underwhelming..
3) unless you're doing your rotation, your damage will drop to zero, and you will have to start from scratch... doing close to zero for 7-8 seconds (till you can pop a set of imp and a couple of dogs)
4) target switching... your pet are basically dots... dots that will have to move, if the target "zooms" away, or if the target has to be changed....
5) no way to burst a target down... if you have to target switch to kill an add, your SOL, unless you had 4-5 shards, then you have some chances :)

I'm an hardcore demo fan...
actually I'm a lock fun..
I loved affliction when it was actually fun AND demanding...
snapshotting dots, moving them around, managing haunts and whatnot..
now? afflition is a snorefeast..

demo to a lesser extend was left as a decent spec to play at least, but they butchered the damage..
for a spec so demanding and with so much of heavy punishments for moving//doing mechanics you would expect that the dps would be LEAP ahead of the other classes...

not the cases :/

oh well

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Both legendary drop rates (especially for specs that you don't have any for yet) and artifact power gains are much faster now than they were prior to the most recent patch. I'm not sure I understand how a total unwillingness to do any of the content that can drop legendaries (which is pretty much everything other than individual quests and mob grinding) translates into a poor decision on Blizzard's part. I also don't really get how so many people feel such a need to max out AP gains and have best in slot legendaries for every spec they play ASAP if they aren't actually doing content where those things are actually required.

I've been playing Legion on and off since it launched on a number of classes/specs, and beyond like the first couple of weeks at launch I have not felt any sort of nagging need to not fall behind on AP or grind mythic+ to maximize my legendary drop potential. I'm not a mythic raider. I play what I feel like and sometimes a legendary drops and maybe my dps goes up a bit. It's not some crazy game-breaking thing.

Also, Demo DPS is far from "butchered." It's still a strong single target dps spec. I still have problems with its overall design and implementation but it's not that hard to put out good numbers with it.

iFirez

Visually, Outland has been really impressive compared to what I've seen up to now. I'm 67 now so almost ready to head to Northrend but I flew up from Zangarmarsh to Blade's Edge Mountains last night and again such a difference in design, I love it. I've also explored and quested in Terokkar Forest and a little in Nagrand but I haven't touched Shadowmoon Valley or Netherstorm - should I, before I leave Outland for Northrend?

I have the app on my phone and I keep checking it while I'm at work and I have far too much gold sat in my inbox right now from auctions selling constantly - the auction house is a total addiction for me.

I'm now rocking shoulder heirlooms and a torso piece heirloom. It's a shame that all the other types of heirlooms are locked behind guild vendors because I think you need high rep and a high level guild to purchase those (I have neither). I'd love to get me a helm, cape heirloom but I looked into Leg Heirlooms and noped right out of that... all professions levelled right? Yeah no.

How long do Mythic dungeons (using LFG) and Heroic raids (using LFG) tend to take? Want to get into them sometime soon, but trying to understand what sort of block of time I need to set aside.

Anoregon

How long do Mythic dungeons (using LFG) and Heroic raids (using LFG) tend to take? Want to get into them sometime soon, but trying to understand what sort of block of time I need to set aside.

Mythic dungeons are fast, you can pretty easily do a few an hour depending on which ones and your group. Heroic Raids usually aren't.

Fjordson

What about Normal or LFR raids? Just wanting a ballpark, like, 1 hour, 2 hour, 6 hours, etc. And thanks!
It varies quite a bit depending on the group. If it's a good group running through everything with no wipes maybe like an hour? Hour and a half? And then count up from there depending on the number of wipes. I'd say at least 3-4 hours to be safe, unless it's a guild group that you know can fly through normal.

LFR breaks up raids into multiple wings with just a few bosses in each wing, so you can get one of those done in like 40 minutes.

Corpekata

Banned
It's hard to gauge. If you're just doing like normal Nighthold you're likely to get a bunch of OP alts that blow through it in half an hour. Normal of current content will depend on the group. Might find some anal buttholes that want 920 gear and 3 different achievements linked that might burn through it or you might join the worst pug in existance that has a tank that doesn't taunt during Mistress and constantly has to replace key roles every boss.

LFR is split into wings and usually in the 20 mins per wing range, give or take.

Nokterian

Visually, Outland has been really impressive compared to what I've seen up to now. I'm 67 now so almost ready to head to Northrend but I flew up from Zangarmarsh to Blade's Edge Mountains last night and again such a difference in design, I love it. I've also explored and quested in Terokkar Forest and a little in Nagrand but I haven't touched Shadowmoon Valley or Netherstorm - should I, before I leave Outland for Northrend?

I have the app on my phone and I keep checking it while I'm at work and I have far too much gold sat in my inbox right now from auctions selling constantly - the auction house is a total addiction for me.

I'm now rocking shoulder heirlooms and a torso piece heirloom. It's a shame that all the other types of heirlooms are locked behind guild vendors because I think you need high rep and a high level guild to purchase those (I have neither). I'd love to get me a helm, cape heirloom but I looked into Leg Heirlooms and noped right out of that... all professions levelled right? Yeah no.

Just visit those places there pretty worth it. When you go to northend you can choose between Borean Tundra and Howling Fjord.

Both are worth it to start, but i choose borean tundra because it felt like the presence of Arthas was there to begin with. Howling Fjord is also beautiful when you start there.

iFirez

I thought it would be easy... but no. I hit level 69 and feel ready to move on from Outland but there is no way to get to Northrend. The boats and such aren't working (I went to right place in Stormwind... no boat, I was stood there for 30mins before I googled it and it said boats don't work right now) and then I found out there's no portals there either... why Blizzard... whyyyy!

Update 1: I caved and did the one thing I dreaded... asked another player...a mage, to make a portal to Dalaran (Northrend) and here I am... back to it!

Update 2: Flying to Borean Tundra from Dalaran now, from the glimpse I got of Dalaran that place looks amazing. The landscapes I'm flying across now on the back of this flight master's Griffon look amazing though. I also learnt that there is a portal to Pandaria that opens later and you can get to Dalaran from there and then there's another Dalaran from another expansion that you can portal to as well... all things I have yet to learn! Atleast the Mage I asked to help portal me here was kind and helpful... I'm always worried about reaching out to other players because of bad experiences in other games and being an introvert at heart - it's one of the reason I haven't even considered PvP or even joining a guild.

Tarazet

just.. nope..

demonology is decent as far as spec go, but..
1) moving is TOO punishing.. even with the assumption that you know how to play your char and minimize the movement, and you know damn well who you can expect to move towards you more readily than you moving towards them when doing some mechanics, ultimately there's no way around it...
2) aoe is... underwhelming..
3) unless you're doing your rotation, your damage will drop to zero, and you will have to start from scratch... doing close to zero for 7-8 seconds (till you can pop a set of imp and a couple of dogs)
4) target switching... your pet are basically dots... dots that will have to move, if the target "zooms" away, or if the target has to be changed....
5) no way to burst a target down... if you have to target switch to kill an add, your SOL, unless you had 4-5 shards, then you have some chances :)

I disagree with a lot of these.

1) Your pets are doing over 50% of your damage. If you have to move, then it's not going to hurt that much. You also go through mana like crazy so you probably have to Life Tap. If you don't, then you can channel Demonwrath to try and get a soul shard.
2) AoE is OK as long as they are stacked. The Hand of Gul'dan buff helped a lot. If you really want to do a lot of AOE and don't mind losing out on a bit of ST burst then you can take Supremacy.
3) This is definitely true, downtime hurts Demo a lot if it's more than a few seconds.
4) I keep /petattack on a hotkey and that helps with target swapping. Your Felguard will automatically charge to the new target if it's more than 8 yards away. But the imps and dreadstalkers aren't as easy.
5) Your burst is your artifact ability. If you know an important add is going to pop then you save it for the add. It hits like a ton of bricks.

erawsd

sorry but not..
the amount of grinding for artifact power, the woes of farming legendaries for your offspec..
thanks but no thanks..
legendaries should have been like "reach a certain amount of contribution point every month//4 weeks"--> get a legendary

as is, legendaries feels very "distant" to players doing only competitive raid..
e.g. I temporarily disappeared for the last 2 months and half for work... I have to switch spec now and I have zero legs for it.. guess what will happen? and no, doing wq and lfr is not possible..
I work, I work out, I go outside and for me the game is an enjoyable slice of my time but that's that..
when they dropped the grind from vanilla into tbc it was a glorious choice..

i'm fine with some stuff, cosmetic mostly, being gated behind grind-wall..
but making it so that literally by farming over and over m+ you can get absurd items // get legendaries faster..
and the daily grind of wq..

what they did with wod was stupid.. the world was empty, you had nothing to do, which made it "good" for those like me that just do the high end raid, but a piss-poor experience for the guys that want to "do stuff, everything!!"..
but what they did with legion is doing a 180° and spitting in the face of those that play the game but cannot really commit more than 10-15 hours//week (and at 15 it's REALLY a stretch..)....

oh well..

You're not really disagreeing with what I said... in fact, you are proving my point about how legendaries and AP will taint Legion's reputation.

However, I'm talking about the quantity and variety of "stuff to do" that has been added. I am also that casual 10-15hr a week player. I dont even have a raid guild, I mostly just pug the bosses that have drops I want. I dont have a complete group for mythic+... its just 3 of us and we have to pug the others. Beyond the gear treadmill I've really enjoyed the pvp brawls, timewalking BT, Chromie quest, Brawlers guild, mage tower, ect Its an extremely well rounded content offering that the game has never had.

Measley

Just visit those places there pretty worth it. When you go to northend you can choose between Borean Tundra and Howling Fjord.

Both are worth it to start, but i choose borean tundra because it felt like the presence of Arthas was there to begin with. Howling Fjord is also beautiful when you start there.

Honestly I would do Fjord (the elevation stuff is aeesome), and then go directly to Grizzly Hills, probably the best zone in Northrend.

Enjoy Northrend while you can, because Cataclysm zones pale in comparison.

Rhaknar

just got a 840 WQ ring titanforge to 880 on my lock (to replace a 805 LOL), thats like max forge right?

why cant I get that on my 865s ;_;

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
just got a 840 WQ ring titanforge to 880 on my lock (to replace a 805 LOL), thats like max forge right?

why cant I get that on my 865s ;_;

If your ilevel is up past like 840 or 845 (which is completely doable with broken shore/nethershards), you'll get the zone PVP tower world quests occasionally dropping 880+ PVP gear.

Combine that with occasional 900 pieces off the broken shore world bosses, and it's a really quick/easy way to get up to snuff for possibly reg Tomb.

As for Titantforged.....randomness at work, hooray!

Rhaknar

If your ilevel is up past like 840 or 845 (which is completely doable with broken shore/nethershards), you'll get the zone PVP tower world quests occasionally dropping 880+ PVP gear.

Combine that with occasional 900 pieces off the broken shore world bosses, and it's a really quick/easy way to get up to snuff for possibly reg Tomb.

As for Titantforged.....randomness at work, hooray!

still havent seen one of those fabled 900 items from broken shore, across 4 chars now. But yeah i've gotten a few of those 880 pvp pieces on some chars.

edit: Monk class mount, running on air aside (which I hate), looks fantastic. Thats hunter, druid, monk done :)

Totally agree.

I do think BC questing feels a bit archaic now compared to newer expansions or the revamped Cata zones, but Outland was beautifully designed. Incredible visuals, great music and some really fun characters and lore.

Outland simply has some of the most creative and diverse zones in the game. Zangarmarsh and Netherstorm are my two personal favourites.

I know you've already moved on to Northrend but if you're Alliance I think it's worthwhile to at least play through Outland's Shadowmoon Valley before you hit Warlords of Draenor content. Draenor's Shadowmoon Valley is the Alliance starting area and the juxtaposition you'd have in your mind for the two zones and some of the NPC's makes the experience more worthwhile.

Top Bottom