• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft Patch 4.0.3a - The Shattering

Mareg said:
I think what amazed me the most about the new Azeroth are the new tunes.
I also love that they kept the old ones and just mix them with new ones to keep everything fresh.
I noticed this too. The new Darnassus theme is like an updated epic version of the original one. I love it :)

RPGCrazied

I'm going to wait for my Worgen and Goblin before running through the old new world. ;/ So I have time to wait I guess.

Infinity

I really like the new music in Orgrimmar. Serious tones that made me think, "Yeah. We're the HORDE!"

Also like the new music in Thunderbluff.

HildyB

Angelus Errare said:
As soon as l logged in I tamed Ashtail :lol

And then logged off. I guess race changes were allowed early? Saw a few level 80 Dwarf Shamans on my server

I pulled trigger and made my dwarf hunter human soon as I saw servers were up. worth every penny..

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
RPGCrazied said:
Baine is a beast! He has 103mil HP, lol. Good luck raiding TB guys.

I think all the leaders have this much HP now.

But good luck killing Garrosh. He is in the middle of Orgrimmar, right next to the bank & AH where all Horde gather now. Alliance wont have a chance to kill him.

RPGCrazied

Bisnic said:
I think all the leaders have this much HP now.

But good luck killing Garrosh. He is in the middle of Orgrimmar, right next to the bank & AH where all Horde gather now. Alliance wont have a chance to kill him.

Oh? Last time I looked the other faction leaders only had around 6million. Garrosh only had not even half a million, like 600 something. Unless they were buffed this patch.

Beth Cyra

RPGCrazied said:
Oh? Last time I looked the other faction leaders only had around 6million. Garrosh only had not even half a million, like 600 something. Unless they were buffed this patch.

Even if they don't have as much life, the fact that Org is becoming the hub for Horde again at least for right now is going to make it so heavily populated Horde servers it's going to insane just to get to him let alone drop him.

I hope I am there when Alliance storm Org on Deathwing, it should be an absolute route.

Won

Just took my first tour through the new Orgrimmar. Amazing.

I think I will try to not explore the world till I level through it with my Goblin. Still so far away! :(

Hakkuei

I've not played for a while, so I just dled 3.3.x to 4.0.x (~5gb), and now I have to dl 10,2 Gb with the new launcher... wtf. Is it normal ?:/

Hakkuei said:
I've not played for a while, so I just dled 3.3.x to 4.0.x (~5gb), and now I have to dl 10,2 Gb with the new launcher... wtf. Is it normal ?:/
Yeah it sucks but you can either download now or install from the Cata disc after the 7th.

notworksafe

It seems Area 52 hordeside is unlocked for making new characters again, so anyone that wants to join just make a character and PM me your name either here or in game.

I'll be back on in about an hour (hooray for short holiday workdays!) to invite you.

G-Bus

Banned
Just started playing again last week after not playing for a couple years. My roomie jumped back in and I got tempted. Had a free week on my account and after that was up I gave in and bought a month.

Rolled a Troll mage.

Having a good time. All the changes since I last played makes everything feel fresh. Mount at lvl 20 is pretty badass. Bit of a mind fuck logging in yesterday to all the changes. Didn't know what the fuck was going on so I hearthed it back to org and had even more of a mind fuck. Pretty cool actually. Liking it so far. Although, my computer can't handle org very well anymore. Laggy as fuck. I couldn't go to Dalaran on this computer and now org is a bit of a headache. Little annoyed at that.

notworksafe

I'm sure you know this if you've been playing, but make sure to turn down shadows to the lowest. They use the most resources with the least benefit.

notworksafe said:
I'm sure you know this if you've been playing, but make sure to turn down shadows to the lowest. They use the most resources with the least benefit.
I discovered this a couple weeks ago. I can run everything maxed out (except AA which I keep at 2x) as long as the shadows are "Good" or lower. I usually get ~45-60 FPS with that.

RPGCrazied

notworksafe said:

I noticed the new liquid detail for me, runs faster with it at fair. It says I can use good, but I noticed a huge FPS dive with it on good, specially around large bodies of water.

G-Bus

Banned
I have everything on the lowest settings possible with everything else off and it still runs like crap. I need a new computer. :(

Hard to justify buying a new computer just to play WoW as it's the only game I play on my computer. I may break and build my own as I'm told it's the cheapest way to get a new rig.

WarMacheen

Gamon in Org is a bastard, one shotted everyone that crossed him.

Finally just about all of the Horde in the area took him down. The amount of people hitting him was larger than a 25 man raid....was awesome

All settings maxed
Love the new look!

The new Org looks AND feels perfect.

It has flora and fauna of all types.
There is a bank, inn, trade shop, mailbox in nearly EVERY district.
The skystrip is nearly separate so the traffic moving to and from the city is isolated.
Hell there's even a backdoor to Azshara now...

So very good.

WarMacheen said:
Gamon in Org is a bastard, one shotted everyone that crossed him.

Finally just about all of the Horde in the area took him down. The amount of people hitting him was larger than a 25 man raid....was awesome

All settings maxed
Love the new look!

Given how many times he's been one-shot by players, it's time to return the favor, no?

Volodja

Bought the game and the first 2 expansions. The first time I played it I didn't end up doing much, but that was a long time ago and it was a free trial so I didn't even feel any drive to really try it.
Let's see how it goes this time, if I like it I will buy Cataclysm and think about playing after the free month.

Holy hell is the download speed erratic.

Flib

Volodja said:
Bought the game and the first 2 expansions. The first time I played it I didn't end up doing much, but that was a long time ago and it was a free trial so I didn't even feel any drive to really try it.
Let's see how it goes this time, if I like it I will buy Cataclysm and think about playing after the free month.

Holy hell is the download speed erratic.

Switch the connection to direct download instead of peer to peer on the launcher.

Tacitus_

Stupid photobombing blood elf

fl9qf.jpg

Volodja

Flib said:
Switch the connection to direct download instead of peer to peer on the launcher.
Thanks, but I noticed that while it is more stable, it is also lower speed on average for me. So peer-to-peer seems to be the way, I just won't really be able to know how much time it will take to download 11 GB

Flib

Volodja said:
Thanks, but I noticed that while it is more stable, it is also lower speed on average for me. So peer-to-peer seems to be the way, I just won't really be able to know how much time it will take to download 11 GB

You can play before all 11gb are downloaded.

The Lamonster said:
I love the new faction tabards.

Same, I'm almost friendly with Gilneas.

I'm glad I waited to do loremaster until after the patch. Going through the old zones, hearing the new music and doing the much better streamlined quests has been very enjoyable. It's definitely a great time for new players to join.

Garryk

So I already had Loremaster before the patch and I still have it, but I don't have any of the zone achievements except Silithus and Ghostlands. Most of them are 0/xx quests completed. Are they going to change this or do I need to go back and do all of the quests again?

Garryk said:
So I already had Loremaster before the patch and I still have it, but I don't have any of the zone achievements except Silithus and Ghostlands. Most of them are 0/xx quests completed. Are they going to change this or do I need to go back and do all of the quests again?

They did that so you can still earn the new achievements if you're the type of person who enjoys collecting achievement points. You still keep loremaster, but since they've changed almost every quest in each zone you can still go back and experience the new content, while also earning the extra achievements.

advice: See the new world by doing a alt or a new character to lvl 85.

do not take your 80s and learn flying, and just fly around - its amazing flying around but you need to discover, and see and complete the content from the ground, or it wont have the same impact. Orgrimmar and Stormwind are nice from the ground but sick from the air. but dont cheat yourself from going all the way from 1 to 85 in this new world. if you do, it's the equivelent of skipping the entire lord of the rings trilogy and only watch the 10 last minutes. they might be good(or whatever) but they wont mean shit compared to if, you had seen the 3 films in their entirety.

yeah, it might be hard not to do, but exploring from the air, is not the way to start. trust me on this. wait with that shit.

Calantus

yeah i don't have much to do.. saving the leveling zones for my worgen, and my friends are on vacation and playing wow solo is not for me..

I'm gonna spend like an hour flying around each continent just for fun. Then Ill start a new Worgen and see it all from the ground!

Alex

New Westfall was really superb. Fantastic writing and pacing and scripting.

Also, the sound team knocked the fucking skin off the ball with this one. The Cataclysm soundtrack shames every other iteration of WoW and there is SO MUCH MORE of it, cut down to the darn individual sectors of the zone. I've heard shit that shames title suites of giant games stuck into little nooks and crannies (Darkwhisper Gorge comes to mind). It's almost kind of depressing in a way.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Creating an alt or two is really the best way to experience the new stuff. Some of the quests I've done, even just heading into northern Barrens, were awesome.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, I took my new Tauren Paladin out from Thunder Bluff to Org. Holy shit what a change. I then remembered that this Command Board called for warriors at the Gate to Azshara. So I went. Holy shit, it's a fully featured lower level zone now! =O So awesome. Will definitely be completing the quest lines there.

Lain

Tacitus_ said:
Stupid photobombing blood elf

http://i.imgur.com/fl9qf.jpg

How do you get that bike? I thought there was only the engineering one. I'm so out of the loop!

I went into Shadowfang Keep and Stratholme (dead side), I really like how the dungeons play now. SFK more so than Strat dead side, with the npcs constantly coming after you claiming the place and giving you a new mission after you complete the previous one.
And man, Org kills my pc when there are lots of people around. It's just a old P4 2.4 with a 8600GT and 2GB of Ram so I'm used to crappy performances, but I was used to it running a little bit better ><

Evlar

Banned
Lain said:
How do you get that bike? I thought there was only the engineering one. I'm so out of the loop!

I went into Shadowfang Keep and Stratholme (dead side), I really like how the dungeons play now. SFK more so than Strat dead side, with the npcs constantly coming after you claiming the place and giving you a new mission after you complete the previous one.
And man, Org kills my pc when there are lots of people around. It's just a old P4 2.4 with a 8600GT and 2GB of Ram so I'm used to crappy performances, but I was used to it running a little bit better ><
That's the goblin faction mount.

V_Arnold

I am having a blast.
This game again became awesome.

New quests? GODLIKE.
Zone revamps? Anyone who made the dwarf 1-20 ENJOYABLE deserves some award right now. That was an almost impossible task. And they succeeded.

And WPL, the novice troll druid's jokes... ;) Jesus.
Or the Red Dead Redemption "parody"? God.

Not to mention this game is still beautiful.
And the best part?

I had a lv44 shammie, stopped levelling with her like a year ago. Now I started a dwarf shaman, ench, and I am at lv15, but had more fun and faster mob-to-mob kill times than with the lv44 shaman before. Unbeliavable.

Blizzard... *bow*

aechris

Any recommendations on zones to quest in? So far I've done Thousand Needles (awesome), EPL (also cool), Azshara (not bad), and Badlands (amazingly hilarious).

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'm confused as **** after the update. I've got my L12 fury warrior on Badlands somewhere southwest from Dustfire valley. My map doesn't show visited locations and most of my quests are gone. I've got absolutely no idea where to go. I tried trough Stonewrought Pass but there is a spider with "??" for Level indication that whacked me immediately. I guess I'll need to figure my way somewhere for new quests.

TheYanger

The capital cities and a lot of the other towns now have bulletin boards that will give you leading quests to level appropriate zones. Stormwind and Org are the main hubs and in very obvious areas have these boards. For example at level 10 you'll get like "Warlord's Decree: the Barrens" or "Azshara"

If you're ever lose, these will steer you right.

Also as far as zone recommendations, do the undead newbie areas. They are amazing.

Top Bottom