• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World War ONE games. Where the !@$% are they?

Brannon

Okay FINE, the US wasn't a major part of WWI and trench fighting seems to be the pits, but all that aside, can you possibly imagine all the sabotage that went on then? Read about some of it; that period was EVIL. Unless one has already been made, in any genre, then I'd better do some catch-up.

WWI ftw?

Speevy

Banned
I was having this very conversation with a 90 year old man the other day. He said he'd buy a PS2 if there were more World War 1 games.

DeadTrees

"Over the top, men!"
*gunfire*
>>You are dead. Play again? Yes/No
"Over the top, men!"
*gunfire*
"Over the top, men!"
*gunfire*
"Over the top, men!"
*gunfire*
"Over the top, men!"
*gunfire*
"Over the top, men!"
*gunfire*

Economan

I could just imagine a ww1 based MUD.

<Day 1> You gain 3 feet!
<Day 2> You lose 2 feet.
<Day 260> You gain 5 feet!
<Day 261> Germans invent tank. You lose 1000 feet. You lose the battle.

(the edit was for grammer!)

The battle of Vimy Ridge would be an amazing videogame level. Imagine attacking heavily fortified German positions that are up on a hill in the distance. Months prior to the attack, you've been raiding German trenches for information and to demoralize them, building tunnels underneath the battlefield to create a subway system that will let you pop out at moment's notice as well as ferry supplies back and forth, and informing each and every soldier where they're expected to be at what time on go day.

When the battle finally begins, you don't charge mindlessly towards the German trenches -- you walk behind a slowly advancing layer of your own shells that tears the Germans apart. This attack, known as the creeping barrage, is a highly technical maneuver that requires each shell launcher to be perfectly caliberated and operated at the proper time.

As you reach the top of the ridge, help is sent to one of the attacking forces which has met unexpected machine gun resistance. On the whole, however, the battle is won relatively easily. It's one of the key WW1 victories and also one of the most interesting.

Running through 20 ft craters, trying not to be swallowed up by the mud, avoiding sniper fire, returning fire with your machine gun, charging through German trenches as they retreat to their second or third trenches... there's plenty of good game material here.

This is what it looks like today:
vimy-ridge-shellholes.jpg

And no, that's not a golf course. BTW, 20,000 soldiers attacked simaltaneously on an area no longer than 12 kms... let's see the cell processor pull that off without a hitch.

Tarazet

Speevy said:
Nothing embodies the American spirit during World War 1 like a talking dog and soul transformations.

The American spirit (whatever that means) during WWI was nothing like WWII - it was probably as unpopular in its day as Iraq is now. Most Americans were terrified by the scale of casualties.

Brannon

Upon retrospection, WWI games would probably work better as being one of the sole spies abound, in an adventure game setting. Political intrigue would be the bomb. Speaking of which, didn't a woman take out a whole group of the enemy in one fell swoop? Who was she and how did she do it? A game around here with some embellishments wouldn't be too shabby.

Speevy

Banned
The American spirit (whatever that means) during WWI was nothing like WWII - it was probably as unpopular in its day as Iraq is now. Most Americans were terrified by the scale of casualties.

I know nothing about the first World War's impact on "the American spirit". My comment was related to Shadow Hearts Covenant, which I own.

Speevy

Banned
OpinionatedCyborg said:
The battle of Vimy Ridge would be an amazing videogame level. Imagine attacking heavily fortified German positions that are up on a hill in the distance. Months prior to the attack, you've been raiding German trenches for information and to demoralize them, building tunnels underneath the battlefield to create a subway system that will let you pop out at moment's notice as well as ferry supplies back and forth, and informing each and every soldier where they're expected to be at what time on go day.

When the battle finally begins, you don't charge mindlessly towards the German trenches -- you walk behind a slowly advancing layer of your own shells that tears the Germans apart. This attack, known as the creeping barrage, is a highly technical maneuver that requires each shell launcher to be perfectly caliberated and operated at the proper time.

As you reach the top of the ridge, help is sent to one of the attacking forces which has met unexpected machine gun resistance. On the whole, however, the battle is won relatively easily. It's one of the key WW1 victories and also one of the most interesting.

Running through 20 ft craters, trying not to be swallowed up by the mud, avoiding sniper fire, returning fire with your machine gun, charging through German trenches as they retreat to their second or third trenches... there's plenty of good game material here.

This is what it looks like today:
vimy-ridge-shellholes.jpg

And no, that's not a golf course. BTW, 20,000 soldiers attacked simaltaneously on an area no longer than 12 kms... let's see the cell processor pull that off without a hitch.

Or just add zombies (or Las Plagas if you prefer) and call it a day.

Tarazet

Speevy said:
I know nothing about the first World War's impact on "the American spirit". My comment was related to Shadow Hearts Covenant, which I own.

So was mine, but it came out more obtusely than I intended. I'm not sure how to explain what I meant without descending into barely sensical blathering, so I'll just drop it..

bah, zombies aren't required when over 1000 artillery units are simaltaneously firing massive shells into the battlefield. Maybe if there's some left over blast processing, but that's a big maybe.

jipe

It's probably not what you're looking for, but Jordan Mechner's The Last Express takes place just before the outbreak of WWI. The game itself is an adventure that takes place aboard the Orient Express and the plot manages to touch upon some of the politics that lead to the the war. The gameplay isn't too hot, but the fin de siecle atmosphere alone makes it worth playing through. It also features some of the best voice acting ever in a video game.

Otherwise, the only WWI game I can recall playing is The Great War: 1914-1918. I can't really remember whether it was any fun, though.

Problem is the lack of machine guns. Aside from possible stationary gatling guns it is all bolt action rifles, bayonets, and grenades.

I do however think that Red Baron on the PC was an excellent WW1 flight action game.

Warm Machine said:
Problem is the lack of machine guns. Aside from possible stationary gatling guns it is all bolt action rifles, bayonets, and grenades.

I do however think that Red Baron on the PC was an excellent WW1 flight action game.
True, the average soldier didn't have a machine gun. But towards the end of the war, when the Brits started learning how effective the frigging machine gun was, they were used much more often. In the battle I so ineloquently described above, there were -many- mobile machine gun units. Yeah, most of the time machine gunners nested in concrete pill boxes, but when the attack was on, they rushed the enemy like everyone else.

I do think well-done bayonet, sniping, and grenade gameplay could be awesome.

Brannon

h1nch said:
while we're at it, why are there no civil war games, or games based on the war of 1812?

There is a Civil War game called Gods and Generals, I think.

No one dares speak of it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Semi OT. Actually, totally OT, but repsonsible and necessary - the image banning thing? Totally legit and not paranoid. I just spent two hours getting Spyware off my machine thanks to that exact sploit. All I did was look at an allegedly hilarious jpg and bam! Horrible fucking malware infestation. Fixed now.

gsnyder

That's what you get for trying to post a 'funny image reply'.

But seriouly, your story about getting sploited was more entertaining than the thought of a WWI game.

-G

jipe

Warm Machine said:
Problem is the lack of machine guns.

I doubt weaponry is the reason so few WWI games have been made. My guess is that it has more to do with the fact that it, unlike the second world war, can't really be portrayed as an epic battle between good and evil (ie. the game industry's favourite narrative).

Instead it was more about innocent men being slaughtered in the thousand in what was - or at least appears to be - a meaningless conflict. In other words, in a WWII game you know you're killing Germans because they are nazis and thus evil, while in a WWI game you'd be shooting Germans mostly because they'd otherwise shoot you.

This, of course, is also the reason why games like Call of Duty, Medal of Honor and the like are almost always played from the Allied perspective. It's probably also the reason why later conflicts like the Korean War and Vietnam hasn't spawned nearly as many games, despite featuring similar or even more advanced weapons.

BTW, regarding civil war games, Sid Meier has made a couple some years back, and, in a much less serious vein, there's also Infogrames' evergreen classic North & South.

Ecrofirt

I can picture the game now via teamspeak:

::sitting in trench::

Ecro: OK guys, let's make a move!
Killer: Right on. I'll cover you!
Mastadon: I'll attack from the right!

::all get out of trench. gunfire ensues. All die.::

Ecro: Fuck this. All I've done for the past hour is sit in a trench. I'm gonig to make a sandwich.

::half hour later::

Ecro: Did I miss anything?
Killer: I saw a worm crawl by.

*Ecro quits*

To heck with trench warfare (aka Waiting in a Trench to Get Gassed and Shelled), I'd settle for a good WWI fighter pilot game. An update of Red Baron or Cinemaware's Wings would be great.

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
I can imagine the exciting sinking of the Lusitania openning stage

there is a potential for fun battleship combat, except that there was only one major naval battle in the entire war

creeping barrage was crap, they never got it right and they never managed to break up the German defenses enough for a successful major offensive

Brannon

It basically meant that the US devs would be less inclined to make one since it doesn't feature famous familiar situations or themes from an American point of view and how can you sell that to the US? It'd do great in Europe though; they know what went down.

Jerkface

Banned
DJ Brannon said:
It basically meant that the US devs would be less inclined to make one since it doesn't feature famous familiar situations or themes from an American point of view and how can you sell that to the US? It'd do great in Europe though; they know what went down.

Well I can agree that there is an apparent insular attitude from some elements of the American market, but games based on feudal China and Japan, Rome and other cultures have sold well. Not to mention WW2 games with a British/Russian perspective.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Jerkface said:
Well I can agree that there is an apparent insular attitude from some elements of the American market, but games based on feudal China and Japan, Rome and other cultures have sold well. Not to mention WW2 games with a British/Russian perspective.

If there's some killin' it's a-sellin'

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Speevy said:
It's sad when I initially associate that line with skill level rather than the result of making a purchase...

Problem is probably that WWI is a bit too far for most to relate to. Our grandparents fought in WWII, our parents were probably born just after it.

DeadTrees said:

"Over the top, men!"
*gunfire*
"Over the top, men!"
*gunfire*
"Over the top, men!"
*gunfire*
"Over the top, men!"
*gunfire*
"Over the top, men!"
*gunfire*
"Over the top, men!"
*gunfire*
That was both humorous and very true. Glorifying trench warfare into something that would be entertaining for the masses would be no easy feat. Any aspects that would be entertaining have already been made into games, namely the early dogfights.

Shinobi

From the little I've heard of WW1, it was nasty as fuck. I'd love to see a game based on it though. Then again I should be careful what I wish for...wasn't too long ago that I was wishing for a WW2 FPS. Now that's all we seem to get. :lol

Sapiens

Maybe EA could convert All Quiet into some sort of GTA-esque game. Though, that would place people in the role of Germans...

So, no go.

Top Bottom