• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World War ONE games. Where the !@$% are they?

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
jipe said:
I doubt weaponry is the reason so few WWI games have been made. My guess is that it has more to do with the fact that it, unlike the second world war, can't really be portrayed as an epic battle between good and evil (ie. the game industry's favourite narrative).

Instead it was more about innocent men being slaughtered in the thousand in what was - or at least appears to be - a meaningless conflict. In other words, in a WWII game you know you're killing Germans because they are nazis and thus evil, while in a WWI game you'd be shooting Germans mostly because they'd otherwise shoot you.

This, of course, is also the reason why games like Call of Duty, Medal of Honor and the like are almost always played from the Allied perspective. It's probably also the reason why later conflicts like the Korean War and Vietnam hasn't spawned nearly as many games, despite featuring similar or even more advanced weapons.

BTW, regarding civil war games, Sid Meier has made a couple some years back, and, in a much less serious vein, there's also Infogrames' evergreen classic North & South.

I think someone could make a story where you play as both the British/French/Russian side and the German/Austrian/Ottoman side. Where, instead of good conquering over evil, you only learn that War is hell.

Of course, I would also like to see a FPS based on the Napoleonic wars, but I doubt that will ever be coming...

Sapiens

GoutPatrol said:
Of course, I would also like to see a FPS based on the Napoleonic wars, but I doubt that will ever be coming...

Lolz, the Napoleonic Wars would be better served by a RTS, sorry.

Top Bottom