• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World's oldest person celebrates 117th birthday

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

635610554094518337-AP-Japan-Worlds-Oldest-Person.jpg

When asked the secret to a long life, Okawa jokingly said, "I wonder about that too."

While the 117-year-old is still eating well, she is having trouble hearing and has slowed down in recent months, according to staff at the nursing home, the Associated Press reported.

Okawa married Yukio Okawa in 1919. They had two daughters and a son. Her husband died in 1931. She has four grandchildren and six great-grandchildren, according to the AP.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ds-oldest-person-117-birthday-japan/24362311/

Very impressive. I wonder what it's like to live for that long. (Would you want to live that long?) Anyway, a sincere and heartfelt happy birthday to her! So interesting to think about everything she must've seen so far in her life, all the crazy changes the world's been through in her life so far.

As long as I'm cognizant and aware of people and my surroundings, I could live to be 200 for all I care. The moment I start losing my sense of time, place, and loved ones please put a bullet in my head.

Congratulations to her. She must be feeding off that One Ring power!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Damn, her husband died in 1931 so she's been widowed... 84 years. That's sad in some ways. I dunno if I'd be able to continue living without a significant other for that long.

kswiston

It's crazy to think of all the things that have happened during her lifetime.

My wife's great aunt just died last month. She was two months shy of 107, making her the oldest person I have ever met. I had hoped that she would make it to 110 (having a super centenarian in the extended family would be cool) but life expectancy at that age is like next moth.

bjork

This is the kind of person you want to mine for stories about what things were like, and how it was when new things were introduced to the mainstream. Also about the war, living through that as an adult, etc.

117, man.

E92 M3

This is the kind of person you want to mine for stories about what things were like, and how it was when new things were introduced to the mainstream. Also about the war, living through that as an adult, etc.

117, man.

Yeah, I would love to hear all the stories she has. Love that stuff.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Wow and I thought turning 30 today was a big deal. I'm like a quarter of her age!

Majine

Banned
Wikipedia says she is the last japanese person born in the 1800's that is still alive. Wonder when the last 1800 person dies.

Frost_Ace

Man I would have loved to see all the technological advancements of the 19th century with my own eyes. Lucky woman.

genjiZERO

Would love to live that long

お誕生日おめでとうございます!

jett

D-Member
Personally I'm not even remotely interested in reaching that age, not unless some miracle drugs come out that make it so that your quality of life isn't a an entirely miserable experience.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
We're in the 21st century now, not the 22nd.

I think he meant, that even if she was born in 19th century, she wasn't old enough to see the technological advancement of that century considering she reached the 20th at the age of 2.

Skele7on

Banned
lol at the posts "I feel sorry for her"

Do you know her personally and know she is in pain?

She's a human that is perfectly happy, not a puppy.

lol at the posts "I feel sorry for her"

Do you know her personally and know she is in pain?

She's a human that is perfectly happy, not a puppy.

She's probably just bored man, I imagine she can't do much except sit around and think about the good olde days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom