• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worldwide Xbox One sales dropped below Xbox 360 in 2017

JaxBriggs

Do any of their big games (outside of GoW) even have release dates?

We have dates for God of War and Shadow of the Colossus so far. I'm assuming we'll get dates for Spider-Man, Detroit: Become Human and Days Gone at E3 as they're probably launching later in the year.

Mattyp

Gold Member
It sold very well in some major markets like UK.

It outsold Playstation in Australia as well. People are quick to write off the US/UK/AU and western countries in general but when it's over 50% of the market share..? It isn't 1999 when Japan is the main mover anymore.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
They just need 1-2 "must have" single player experiences each year.

Core gamers don't want MP-stuff

And no, HALO, Gears, Forza are not it.

After playing about 15hrs of the sea of thieves beta it is some of the most pure gameplay fun Ive had in a long time.
I feel like a kid again when playing, its fantastic.
If MS can keep having Exclusives like this I prefer them to single player games, however variarty is always best.

To be fair I think the future is in multiplayer where they take the best elements of what gamers love about single player and the incorporate them some how into multiplayer games.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
After playing about 15hrs of the sea of thieves beta it is some of the most pure gameplay fun Ive had in a long time.
I feel like a kid again when playing, its fantastic.
If MS can keep having Exclusives like this I prefer them to single player games, however variarty is always best.

To be fair I think the future is in multiplayer where they take the best elements of what gamers love about single player and the incorporate them some how into multiplayer games.
Sea of Thieves honestly looks like it could have Minecraft levels of popularity which would be amazing for Xbox, and maybe it will be that popular, but I'm pretty sure that if it is it'll be on PC. I think MS having all of their "exclusives" on PC too really undercuts the potential for the XB1 to grow any this point with any exclusives it could have. Sea of Thieves especially looks like a very PC-ish game.

Xbone is selling less WW than X360 in same time-frame since 2016. That's the last time when MS said that Xbone is outpacing X360.

It outsold Playstation in Australia as well. People are quick to write off the US/UK/AU and western countries in general but when it's over 50% of the market share..? It isn't 1999 when Japan is the main mover anymore.

Are we talking about xbox only ? Because I doubt those 3 markets make 50% of Nintendo and Sony sales.

Also having 50% of overal market contested and split beetween all 3 major players while getting murdered in other 50% of the market share is not a recipe for success.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Wishful thinking? What games are persons going to buy in June with a discounted XBONEX? There were all types of discounts and bundles this holiday on PRO, PS4, XBONE-S, but you believe people are just waiting on a pricedrop to lap the XBONEX up... and you're talking about wishful thinking.....Funny too, because many persons justfied the $500.00 pricepoint; This is a 4k machine said Spencer, DF said it's a GTX 1070 Equivalent, UHD bluray is huge et al.....but I guess nobody was fooled by all that fluff. So now, we're already asking for a discount on all that value??? Something must be amiss...

Instead of asking for a pricedrop, why don't you ask what games are going to drive a discounted console in June. Also do you have any idea how many consoles sell in June. If you believe a discounted console is going to change MS fortunes in June, then perhaps you will need another Koala in that Ferrari to wake you up from that dream.

There's precedent, there's always history when I say something....Here's the drift.....Not too much before the XBONEX launch, there was a big thread here and some DF staff like Dark1X and other XBONE fans weighed in that PRO's launch was not the smoothest. Conspicuoulsy, such statements were made after DF acquired the reveal of XBONEX and other subsequent jigs.....Further to that though, it's obvious that MS had more time, a year + more time, but yet, at XBONEX launch, you had the power strip issue, the jet vaccum drive issue and dead consoles.....But what about the enhanced patches which MS should have done better done Sony's console? No Forza Horizon at launch, No MCC, they just got the Witcher patch and lots of games on that enhanced list are not yet enhanced. Don't forget MS had a huge list...One of the bigger ones was DOOM, where is it? Not only that, one of the devs who spoke the hardest about the XBONEX, talking about 6k et al, could not even get a proper patch in day 1, where is the 6k, where is the "true 4k machine"....Not here yet unfortunately, Marketing hype is one hell of a pipe dream....

A 2019 console will be much more than 2x the power of XBONEX. This is only a mid-gen console. A new gen in Novemeber 2019 at the earliest will have enough inside to play games at max settings and double XBOX's framerate at true 4k....I don't mean Dynamic resolution with dips to 1440p and 1080p, I don't mean 1700p or 1800p. What Spencer promised..........but instead delivered, not based on false hype without the hardware to do it, but because a 2019 machine would have the innards to pull it off, just like a real tech man (In Cerny) indicated you needed 8TF minimum. A 2019 console will have much more than a 8TF, much more ram, an eternally more powerful CPU etc...So you best deal in reality as opposed to marketing guys promsing you true 4k with a 6TF console...

Also, there's much more than Spiderman and God of War. If you believe that's all the exclusives to play on a PS4 this year, you are sadly mistaken. No list by me though, as I think you know there's a large bevy of titles and also pretending that the multiplayer games are in existent on PS4 too, they're still all there on PRO and PS4 at the same framerate as XBONEX, sometimes better framerate too......

Hey!, I don't think the consoles sales are comparable up to 2018, it's just comapred to the same time-frame in 360's cycle....So that would be 4 years in for 360. TBF, 360 never let off steam in NA and it had a few big exclusives you could not get elsewhere....

All I see here is that you are calling DF shills. I thought this wasn't allowed here, and you don't have any proof of it anyway!

Xbox One X is selling well, it's currently the best console you can buy, and exclusives won't matter much. If you want the best version of multiplatforms you'll buy one. And that list of enhanced games you are talking, they never promised it was going to be at launch as far as I know, some titles take longer, but you can clearly tell as more time was usually put into it.

Also, ain't know power strip issues or jet vacuum drive or whatever you are talking about, there weren't any widespread issues with the X. We all know how much you love your PS platforms, no need to keep making up the same BS in every thread.

Also, One X version is always better than Pro Version. 1800p at 28-30fps is much better than 1260p at stable a 30. If Pro versions were double the frame rate then maybe, but even then X runs at a higher fidelity anyway, and no Pro game has double the frame rate as its X counterpart. A slightly higher but unstable frame rate doesn't make for a better experience.

Unknown?

This news doesn’t surprise me. MS just had their worst full year in the US last year and that’s their strongest market. Many months PS4 and Switch were selling twice as much as XBO. Soon is when Kinect launched and 360 will pull further ahead.

grumpyGamer

i cant speak of the usa, because i live in Europe, but there is absolutely nothing on the horizon on xbox that i am remotely excited, no new Ip, no upcoming releases.
and since every game comes to pc too, i lost interest in buying an xbox.
The oly game that i desired was canceled, thay launched xbox X, but with no content, it looks like they don't give a shit

Naudi

Banned
Sea of Thieves honestly looks like it could have Minecraft levels of popularity which would be amazing for Xbox, and maybe it will be that popular, but I'm pretty sure that if it is it'll be on PC. I think MS having all of their "exclusives" on PC too really undercuts the potential for the XB1 to grow any this point with any exclusives it could have. Sea of Thieves especially looks like a very PC-ish game.

Come on now.. It doesn't have a shot in hell at Minecraft levels of popularity lol.

hiphopcr

I'm assuming we'll get dates for Spider-Man, Detroit: Become Human and Days Gone at E3 as they're probably launching later in the year.
If that assumption isn't true then this narrative of PS4 having a great 2018 is bunk.

Even so, Xbox has SoT, CD3, SoD2, Ori 2, FH4 this year... and included in Game Pass

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

What reasons do you have to believe that MS having Exclusives also on PC is undercutting the xboxs potential to grow?

And this statement is false right off the bat because the xbox is growing every day because its selling.

Come on now.. It doesn't have a shot in hell at Minecraft levels of popularity lol.

Well I think it has high potential to appeal to Minecraft players.

Last edited:

Unknown?

If that assumption isn't true then this narrative of PS4 having a great 2018 is bunk.

Even so, Xbox has SoT, CD3, SoD2, Ori 2, FH4 this year... and included in Game Pass
Does it? If we have doubt on PS4 games making it this year why can we be certain with Xbox games? CD3 could slip even farther for all we know. That said Detroit was recently confirmed for Spring.

JaxBriggs

Well all of those games mentioned have been confirmed for 2018, I was just assuming some of them will naturally be launching later in the year (holiday season) so we'll probably get launch dates for those games at E3.

rokkerkory

If sales of XB1 have now fallen behind that of the 360 (launch aligned) then the Xbox market share is actually shrinking.

It's hard to remain near the top after the 360 generation. Conversely, you could say market share for Switch has drastically gained given how crappy Wii U did.

JaxBriggs

It's hard to remain near the top after the 360 generation.

MS had a great generation during the PS360 era yeah. I'm just pointing out claims like "Xbox is growing" is actually incorrect given what we know. I mean sure if you want to be pedantic about it, MS selling 10 consoles today means their numbers have grown, but looking big picture (market share) then no, they haven't. It's actually the opposite.

Conversely, you could say market share for Switch has drastically gained given how crappy Wii U did.

Absolutely. Nintendo always seem to be the wild card, and it seems they've once again struck gold with the Switch. It's kinda an odd situation though because I feel that while they are doing extremely well, the Switch is possibly also eating into Nintendo's handheld audience as well. So has their market share grown or is it that their audience (handheld & home consoles) is simply consolidating? I'm not sure to be honest, but it'll become more clear as time goes by.

cooper59

Banned
Don't even bother responding to thelastword, One would think he's a majority shareholder of Sony.
nope own lots of stock but not sony or ms. just a consumer who can afford to buy what he wants and not be a 10 year old kid who plays console wars. sorry

Geki-D

Banned
Bah, who knows though, right? What exactly dictates which game is going to become the next big hit? My whole point anyway, in the theoretical universe in which is does become this mega hit, is that it'll most likely do so on PC rather than XB1. The Xbox won't be seen as this place you have to go to to play the newest hit sensation. It's just one of the places.
What reasons do you have to believe that MS having Exclusives also on PC is undercutting the xboxs potential to grow?
The reason that when you have a game on more than one platform, it's going to split people between them rather than get it on the platform it could be exclusive to.

And this statement is false right off the bat because the xbox is growing every day because its selling.
I get that the XB1 isn't exactly bombing, but it isn't really doing too well either. Though to say a console is growing just because it's still selling is pretty odd. So we can't consider any product a failure/doing poorly in till it reaches zero sales per month?

WaterAstro

I just thought about something, and maybe somebody already posted about it.

I wonder how much cross-platform has to do with this and the fact that Xbone doesn't really have exclusives anymore. People have the choice to play on PC, so they won't have a reason to get an Xbone.

Armorian

Banned
I just thought about something, and maybe somebody already posted about it.

I wonder how much cross-platform has to do with this and the fact that Xbone doesn't really have exclusives anymore. People have the choice to play on PC, so they won't have a reason to get an Xbone.

It works like that for me, with PC and PS4 I'm pretty much settled (not a big fan of Nintendo games and Switch is overpriced). Maybe in grand scheme of things it doesn't have much impact (number of people with gaming pc's) but it definietly affects core gamers.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Are we talking about xbox only ? Because I doubt those 3 markets make 50% of Nintendo and Sony sales.

Also having 50% of overal market contested and split beetween all 3 major players while getting murdered in other 50% of the market share is not a recipe for success.

Yes Microsoft, but Sony isn't that much further behind. PS4 US/UK 30 million consoles give or take. Rest of the world, 44 million give or take? Just 2 countries are a massive amount of the market.

nope own lots of stock but not sony or ms. just a consumer who can afford to buy what he wants and not be a 10 year old kid who plays console wars. sorry

Signed into the wrong account?

X1 outsold PS4 in Oz? Where are you getting that info?

Talking about 360 in Australia V PS3.

preskerd

Neo Member
With the 'play anywhere' move and the extremely weak first party support on xbox one, I don't think Microsoft cares about the console sales too much. They mostly focus 'xbox as a service' now. I can't blame them for that move though. Xbox is the only division in Microsoft that doesn't grow currently. They already poured too much money on the division and shareholders will surely question whether it's worth their time and effort or not on xbox. Cancelling multiple games which they showed at the biggest conferences and closing their studios one by one only shows that they don't want to risk more money on xbox. This is probably the reason that Playstation always outsell xbox in the end. Gamers want games first and Sony knows that really well. When you watch their e3's, they show game after game after game... and be done with it. No bs. That's why they have one of the best studios in the industry and heavily invest on the exclusive contents in their consoles. I mean even when you forget the current exclusives, ps4 will get death stranding, god of war, days gone, last of us 2, detroit became human, spiderman, ghost of tsushima..etc and not to mention strong japanese third party exclusive support. What will Microsoft's shiny xbox one x get? so far I only see 2 40 dollar budget title and crackdown 3 which was in development state forever ( also still looks really bad). You can play the few exclusive they have on your pc as well. We all saw how ps3 outsold xbox 360 even tho Sony failed big time at half of the lifespan of ps3. Sorry but I think even regular ps4's will outsell xbox one x. Microsoft should sell xbox to another company which willing to take huge risks to reach top (like amazon) on console business. Otherwise Sony won't have any serious competitor in the future and do whatever they want like the most companies which has monopoly status

Last edited:

petrus91

Expected, especially after the early backlash they faced.
I think, right now, the important thing for them is to remain profitable. Play anywhere and Gamepass are two steps in the right direction.
I think it’s clear to say that Xbox market has shrunk inevitably in numbers just like the PS market did with PS3. I still don’t know why people get upset or else.
XB1X is a cool piece of kit that has a lot of potential. I think it’s more crucial for MS to gather those Japan titles even if it means dropping a lot of money in those.
First party output could have a better long term planning in my eyes, they don’t want to repeat mistakes like year 2017.

atpbx

Excited about that?

This is a bad look, but I think the Xbox brand is still recovering and definitely trending upwards. Look at history too...Sony survived the PS3 and Nintendo survived the Wii U so I see no reason why all 3 don't enter the next gen in very healthy positions.

Sony “survived” the PS3?

The PS3 outsold the 360 over its lifetime, what exactly did sony “survive” other than the copius amounts of alcohol and drugs the playstation team ingested after winning the last console war?

Last edited:

atpbx

Estimates for the XB1 currently are somewhere around 35M sold, whereas the 360 ended up selling about 84M. I think it would be a miracle for the XB1 to get anywhere even close to being within 10% of what the 360 sold.

Anyway last gen was MS at their best while Sony was at their worst. You could argue that the 360 was actually an outlier generation for MS. I guess their next console or generation will prove if that's right or not.

Yet even at their worse, Sony still still sold more PS3s than Microsoft did 360s, even with giving Microsoft a 14 month head start.

petrus91

Sony “survived” the PS3?

The PS3 outsold the 360 over its lifetime, what exactly did sony “survive” other than the copius amounts of alcohol and drugs the playstation team ingested after winning the last console war?
Sony survived the burning of almost every profit they made with PS2 and losing almost 50% of lifetime sales over PS2.
They just made all the right moves since 2010 (even after PSN backlash) and now they sit rightfully on top...

JaxBriggs

Lizard Squad took down the PlayStation network for around a month or so with Ddos attacks. It happens right around Christmas if I remember correct.

PSN was down for a total of 3 days, 2 of those days including 'maintenance' after the attacks.

XBL was also down at the same time but was back up after around 24 hours.

petrus91

Oh yeah, i got two free games out of that.
Good times
That's when I got my first Xbox, never had one before. Sad
PSN was down for a total of 3 days, 2 of those days including 'maintenance' after the attacks.

XBL was also down at the same time but was back up after around 24 hours.
Nah man, you might remember things wrong...PSN was down a full month, that’s exactly the time I got my first Xbox, never been interested before. They even gifted two or three free games, I got inFamous and one I can’t even remember..

nowhat

Nah man, you might remember things wrong...PSN was down a full month

[CITATION NEEDED]

No seriously, I remember the event very well (if it didn't particularly affect me at the time as I seldom do multiplayer). Quoting from Wikipedia:

Lizard Squad had previously threatened to take down gaming services on Christmas. On December 25, 2014 (Christmas Day), Lizard Squad claimed to have performed a DDoS attack on the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live. On December 26, 2014 at 2:00 AM, Lizard Squad appeared to stop attacking PlayStation Network and Xbox Live.

(Also I can't recall getting any free games out of this - was it a US-only thing?)

Last edited:

petrus91

[CITATION NEEDED]

No seriously, I remember the event very well (if it didn't particularly affect me at the time as I seldom do multiplayer). Quoting from Wikipedia:

Lizard Squad had previously threatened to take down gaming services on Christmas. On December 25, 2014 (Christmas Day), Lizard Squad claimed to have performed a DDoS attack on the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live. On December 26, 2014 at 2:00 AM, Lizard Squad appeared to stop attacking PlayStation Network and Xbox Live.

(Also I can't recall getting any free games out of this - was it a US-only thing?)

Wikipedia said:
The 2011 PlayStation Network outage was the result of an "external intrusion" on Sony's PlayStation Network and Qriocity services, in which personal details from approximately 77 million accounts were compromised and prevented users of PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable consoles from accessing the service.[1][2][3][4]The attack occurred between April 17 and April 19, 2011,[1] forcing Sony to turn off the PlayStation Network on April 20. On May 4 Sony confirmed that personally identifiable information from each of the 77 million accounts had been exposed.[5] The outage lasted 23 days.

We are talking about two different events...the same day Xbox Live was taken down but there wasn't any ID stealing there...

nowhat

We are talking about two different events...the same day Xbox Live was taken down but there wasn't any ID stealing there...
Yeah the PSN hack was a separate thing. However, the post you responded to with "Nah man, you might remember things wrong..." was talking about the Lizard Squad incident.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Gotcha. Got a link to some numbers - would be interested to see where the totals ended up.

I've been trying to find articles for last half an hour for you now just so I know I wasn't going crazy several years ago. Aussie articles seem to either vanish or have horrible search results. Really need to start book marking and archiving these for the future.

The most you get now with results is

360 most successful launch in Australia..
Wii most successful launch in Australia..
Xbox One most successful launch in Australia..
PS4 most successful launch in Australia..

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

God of War and Spider-Man will likely be bigger than every single game on that list, which says a lot.

That still leaves MLB 18, Detroit: Become Human, Ni no Kuni II, Shadow of the Colossus, Yakuza 6, Secret of Mana Remake.That leaves Days Gone which some people are speculating is the game that might get delayed. If PUBG is truly a timed exclusive title, then it could make its way on the PS4 this year. PS4 will already have a good year with God of War, Detroit, Spider-Man and MLB.. All of other games just makes it that much better.

-hadouken

I've been trying to find articles for last half an hour for you now just so I know I wasn't going crazy several years ago. Aussie articles seem to either vanish or have horrible search results. Really need to start book marking and archiving these for the future.
Ta, yeah hard to find anything much for Oz. :/

Top Bottom