• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Character in a JRPG

Fuck this asshole

1CdPIti.png

ROFL YES! I could not play FF9 because of the stupid character design. I understand they wanted a more chibi/old school look but damn, horrible.

Wazzy

Banned
I don't understand how people can't play a game due to character design. I just don't understand...
Really? I can understand being turned off by a games design. Lot's of people play games based off the look so I don't see why it can't go both ways.

IX has a good storyline but the battle system is awful and slow, add to that unappealing character designs(I don't mind IX's chibi style but I prefer what they originally were going to look like) and I can see why someone wouldn't play it.

Honestly the best part about IX was Vivi and Beatrix. The rest of the cast ranged from boring to okay.

Taruranto

Oh shit, i completely forgot about courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality!!!

I don't understand how people can't play a game due to character design. I just don't understand...

I would understand if we were talking about, dunno, Neptunia, but FFIX art design is simply terrific.

Honestly the best part about IX was Vivi and Beatrix. The rest of the cast ranged from boring to okay.

It's kinda funny said from someone with a FFVIII avatar.

Lavapotamus

Neo Member
I have laughed so many times just from reading this thread. You guys are a) great writers and b) hilarious. Thank you.

I enjoyed FFXIII (except for not having a clue what was happening), but I loathed Hope and Serah, unconditionally. I got FFXIII-2 for $10, but I haven't opened it because how the hell would I survive a game where Serah is the protagonist? Good lord

I don't remember the names to pick out the exceptions, but as a whole, the cast of Eternal Sonata was pretty grating. I enjoyed the battle system enough to finish the game, but I'm never touching it again.

Most of the characters I don't like just get swapped out of my party, though, so I don't have a prime example of anyone I detested.

The character designs turned me off from the game, it's that simple. Honestly, I heard great things about FF9 from a friend but I think the characters look like shit. The one cook (don't even know the characters name) is just awful looking.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Imagine being stuck with someone you dont like for hours on end. Same sort of situation with bad character design in games.

Kalnos

Banned
The character designs turned me off from the game, it's that simple. Honestly, I heard great things about FF9 from a friend but I think the characters look like shit. The one cook (don't even know the characters name) is just awful looking.

Quina is a complete non-factor character that you don't even have to use. The design of that character is no more dumb looking than say Cait Sith.

If the art direction of FF9 is enough to make Zidane your 'worst jrpg character ever' then I don't think that you even gave the game a fair shot. There's an entire industry full of terrible and annoying characters and people are choosing a pretty good character with a subjectively bad art direction.

Wazzy

Banned
Quina is a complete non-factor character that you don't even have to use. The design of that character is no more dumb looking than say Cait Sith.

If the art direction of FF9 is enough to make Zidane your 'worst jrpg character ever' then I don't think that you even gave the game a fair shot. There's an entire industry full of terrible and annoying characters and people are choosing a pretty good character with a subjectively bad art direction.
I actually agree it's ridiculous to call Zidane the worst JRPG character. While I had some issues with him, overall he's pretty fun and a nice change from quiet moody protagonists(except for his annoying breakdown near the end) even if I enjoy those type.

As for characters I would say Quina and Amaranth were terrible even if the former is a non-factor. I liked Garnet but hated her development with her "mom". Fraya was pretty cool and probably the closest to being as likeable as Vivi and Beatrix. Steiner was annoying but at least became likeable towards the middle of the game.

Kikujiro

You are entitled to your opinion like everybody else, change is change however you spin that. And it's not uncommon post traumatic behavior, such a change, just reminding.

You really wanna go there? Really? What if I played more JRPGs than you. You'll take your words back?
And lemme ask you, where it leaves you if you play games where 90% characters are shitty characters. Shitty taste much?

Saying change is change is too easy and simple, exactly like any Tales of writing (well Vesperia is a little better) and it's not like that makes it a positive point, when it's so badly handled. And don't talk about post traumatic behavior, these are anime stereotypes, there's no psychological research.

Why should I care about how many JRPGs did you play? I grew up playing JRPGs and I have enough experience with them to make a statement. The writing in most of them is shitty and that's not an opinion, it's just how it is. I still enjoy JRPGs for the worlds/arts and the battle systems, but nowadays I have way less patience with the boring heavy handed teenager writing.

Kalnos

Banned
I actually agree it's ridiculous to call Zidane the worst JRPG character. While I had some issues with him, overall he's pretty fun and a nice change from quiet moody protagonists(except for his annoying breakdown near the end) even if I enjoy those type.

100% agreed. I don't care if you don't like his artstyle but you can't deny he's a refreshing and interesting character for the series.

As for characters I would say Quina and Amaranth were terrible even if the former is a non-factor. I liked Garnet but hated her development with her "mom". Fraya was pretty cool and probably the closest to being as likeable as Vivi and Beatrix. Steiner was annoying but at least became likeable towards the middle of the game.

Actually I would say that both of those characters are completely irrelevant. I'm fine with people not liking them though, I think Amarant is pretty terrible myself. Steiner was excellent because he was a character that actually changed over the course of the game.

I never said he was my worst jrpg character, I was saying how I think his design is awful and how the character designs turned me off the game. You may think it's stupid or superficial but I think it's part of what makes a game good. I just can't get into a game if I don't like how the characters look.

My favorite rpg franchise is SMT and all their spinoffs. A big reason I do not like the Devil Survivor series is their designs. Yuzu and Midori just make me cringe. Heh, I'm pretty sure Midori would take my vote as the worst JRPG character I had the displeasure of playing.

Wazzy

Banned
100% agreed. I don't care if you don't like his artstyle but you can't deny he's a refreshing and interesting character for the series.
Totally. I always liked that the series kept their protagonist's unique, even if some of them shared similar attitudes.

1Actually I would say that both of those characters are completely irrelevant. I'm fine with people not liking them though, I think Amarant is pretty terrible myself. Steiner was excellent because he was a character that actually changed over the course of the game.
I haven't played IX in a while but I thought Amaranth was slightly important? Either way yes he's awful.

Like I said, I didn't enjoy Steiner at first but I enjoyed his change and completely acknowledge his development. I wish they booted Quina and replaced it with Blank and Beateix. I was always upset they weren't playable.

Boogybro

Imagine being stuck with someone you dont like for hours on end. Same sort of situation with bad character design in games.

It's more like saying imagine being stuck with an ugly person and not liking them despite how awesome they might actually be.

I mean there are some great examples of characters in this thread that are just down right atrocious. But hating on some because you didn't give them a chance based on design... really? Baffles me.

ITT a lot of people suffering a critical misunderstanding of the plot and cast of FFXII.

Not only were Vaan and Penelo unobtrusive and unoffensive, but they weren't the main characters, either. They existed to bring a little innocence and levity to a fairly dark, dry* storyline. I feel like a lot of the hate (for Vaan at least) is based on one embarrassingly bad promotional image, and not on anything he actually said or did in the game.

* By "dry" I do not mean boring or bad. Just very complex and political.

unsmashable

Neo Member
I have laughed so many times just from reading this thread. You guys are a) great writers and b) hilarious. Thank you.

I enjoyed FFXIII (except for not having a clue what was happening), but I loathed Hope and Serah, unconditionally. I got FFXIII-2 for $10, but I haven't opened it because how the hell would I survive a game where Serah is the protagonist? Good lord

I don't remember the names to pick out the exceptions, but as a whole, the cast of Eternal Sonata was pretty grating. I enjoyed the battle system enough to finish the game, but I'm never touching it again.

Most of the characters I don't like just get swapped out of my party, though, so I don't have a prime example of anyone I detested.

I absolutely hated Serah for the giant, vapid plot device she was in ffxiii, but found her much more tolerable in ffxiii-2. In fact, I immensely prefer her to Lightning at this point, as she is much less of a sour puss and debbie downer about everything. If you could stand Yuna and Rikku in ffx-2 then I think you can handle ffxiii-2 Serah, but if not, then yeah, might want to skip those cutscenes if you ever get around to the game.

And I totally agree on Eternal Sonata. The characters were astoundingly awful across the board, and the writing downright silly. I did really like the musical interludes with Chopin facts interspersed throughout the game though.

ITT a lot of people suffering a critical misunderstanding of the plot and cast of FFXII.

Not only were Vaan and Penelo unobtrusive and unoffensive, but they weren't the main characters, either. They existed to bring a little innocence and levity to a fairly dark, dry* storyline. I feel like a lot of the hate (for Vaan at least) is based on one embarrassingly bad promotional image, and not on anything he actually said or did in the game.

* By "dry" I do not mean boring or bad. Just very complex and political.

So much truth in this post it ain't even funny.

Parakeetman

It's more like saying imagine being stuck with an ugly person and not liking them despite how awesome they might actually be.

I mean there are some great examples of characters in this thread that are just down right atrocious. But hating on some because you didn't give them a chance based on design... really? Baffles me.

Part of character design is personality, which is also conveyed by the VA work behind them. When all of that fails along with how they look then yeah no thanks.

To actually answer the question of the thread, I'd say the "worst" character is just about any number of generic, loli-fied moe-blobs. I like anime, but lolis in games generally annoy the piss out of me. There's really not one prime example, they're all bad. I also dislike the vast majority of Disgaea characters.

To answer this question in a different way...my least favorite character (by no means a bad character) would have to be Algus from Final Fantasy Tactics:

Algus.jpg

Sniveling, arrogant prick. Killing him was such a pleasure.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
To answer this question in a different way...my least favorite character (by no means a bad character) would have to be Algus from Final Fantasy Tactics:

Algus.jpg

Sniveling, arrogant prick. Killing him was such a pleasure.
Haha, he's my favourite "love to hate" kind of character. I think it's because he's fairly realistic (as far as jRPG characters go) with the classism. Plus he was a hypocrite, he was a class bigot yet he came from a formerly strong but now-fallen house himself. Just a despicable shit, hah.

Parakeetman

To actually answer the question of the thread, I'd say the "worst" character is just about any number of generic, loli-fied moe-blobs. I like anime, but lolis in games generally annoy the piss out of me. There's really not one prime example, they're all bad. I also dislike the vast majority of Disgaea characters.

Just for you~

Holy crap that "Ion" character is a guy!? Never played TotA wtf

FFIX's character designs never put me off. The characters were supposed to be kinda fugly furries. Just was kinda annoying how they all look fugly, but Garnet who looks like a supermodel. Then again I thought Garnet was just a horrible character who only became barely tolerable after
her haircut

But I can understand being turned off by character designs. Tales character designs are ugly to me. They look so generic it's hard for me to care much for them.

But yeah, I don't see how anyone can beat Lymle, nappy time, or anyone from that game, kaaaaaaaay?

Gartooth

Have to rag on the Tales series in this thread definitely. Vesperia aside (funnily enough one of my favorite casts in a JRPG despite Karol and Estelle getting on my nerves at times) my experience with the series has had some of the worst characters I've ever seen in video games. They were so stupid/annoying/pretentious that it literally made me question whether I could go through and finish some of the games. Practically everyone but Guy (maybe Jade) in Tales of the Abyss was awful but that doesn't even compare to Tales of Graces F which was on a whole other level of shit factor (aside from maybe Malik) with possibly the worst lead protagonist I've ever seen in a video game, I'd be happy to never be reminded of Asbel ever again he was that horrible and agonizing to listen to.

FStubbs

Other than the obvious wastes of space from Star Ocean 4, who are a bunch of wretched characters no matter how you slice it (Edge, Faize, Lymle, Sarah, and Meracle were all awful), a lot of the characters mentioned here, like Lightning, or even Vanille, are just par for the course in jRPGs. That being said, here are some of my picks:

- Luca from Ar Tonelico 2. She's so horrible they even invented a moe-moe trope just for her, dorodere. She's such a grating, hateful character that it's almost impossible to hold your nose and do her arc. Cloche, who is a horrible hair-trigger tsundere, even comes off as not bad compared to her. And the game wants you to pick Luca's route, too!
- Alfina from Grandia 3 (I think someone mentioned her). I think Penny-Arcade or someone similar did a great comic about why she's so awful. If only the game were about Yuki's hot mom ...
- Anybody not named Raquel from Wild Arms 4. I'm not even going to spoiler tag it. Wild Arms 4 is about "ADULTS ARE EVIL, THEY JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND" pounded into your skull. It's one of the few jRPGs I've ever actually sold back. (And I even still own Ephemeral Phantasia). Arnaud is probably the worst of this bunch. Too bad a cool character like Raquel is ruined by being associated with this game. I would've said Wild Arms 4 had the worst ensemble of any big name jRPG in recent times before Star Ocean 4 was unleashed on this world.
( Edge Maverick/Star Ocean 4 - Jude Maverick/Wild Arms 4, hmm ...)
- I think they were mentioned before, but Emil and Marta from Tales of Symphonia 2. After one of the best jRPG protagonists ever in Yuri from Tales of Vesperia, Namco follows up with one of the worst.
- Shania from Shadow Hearts 3. It takes some awful, awful writing to make a hot Native American princess who kicks butt and gets naked a lot absolutely despicable. Johnny was just typical jRPG annoying, so he doesn't really rate here.
- But Hilda (Shadow Hearts 3) does. Annoying calorie-based system that has her going from fat to thin, and ... annoying in every scene she's in, too.
- Shirley, Tales of Legendia. Did anyone not mention this girl in this thread at all? Really?! Really?!?!?! Kill it with fire.
- Forte, Legend of Heroes 5. He's a mostly personality-less, bog-standard jRPG protagonist type. But he makes the list because the game forces him to be the "main character" when the real driver of the plot, the real main character, is his awesome, tough guy bruiser 62 year old grandpa McBain. They were just too scared to admit McBain was the main character.
- Louise le Blanc de Valliere, Cross of Venus - because she's the most annoying Rie Kugimiya tsundere out there, and this was a RPG, so she makes the list by default.
- Dirk, Suikoden Tierkreis. Turns against the heroes out of jealousy. You've seen this done before, but the way it's done here makes Dirk into one of the biggest, annoying losers in a jRPG in some time.
Chou-Chou, Mugen Souls - Sadomasochistic 14 year old girl who uses personality shifts into moe fetishes to make everyone into her peons and to kill monsters. (And one wonders if that is literal). The game even has loli bath scenes which increase your stats.
- Sophie, Mimana Iyar Chronicles. Inane. Loli moe. Dumb. Annoying.

- If we're counting hentai, then Rance, though that's a ... um ... different kind of worst ...

I'll post if I can think of any more but I try to block these guys out.

jWILL253

Banned

Does this scene bring you nightmares?

Frog Drop, though.

Vaan.PNG

It's amazing how a shirt can change the entire feel of a character...

edotlee

Haha, he's my favourite "love to hate" kind of character. I think it's because he's fairly realistic (as far as jRPG characters go) with the classism. Plus he was a hypocrite, he was a class bigot yet he came from a formerly strong but now-fallen house himself. Just a despicable shit, hah.

Snowe Vingerhut from Suikoden IV was definitely a "love to hate" character for me. Actually, he was probably the best and most memorable thing about the game.

While I just straight up hate the main character (Lazlo) from IV. A mute character that was accused with murder by his best friend and cursed to die by a rune that chose him for no reason at all. YET he was emotionally dead about it all. He could have witnessed his mother being killed in front of him and he would've stood there like a wooden pole. Oh, and he has a bowl haircut. This game pretty much was the downfall of one of my favorite JRPG series, which only fuels the hate even more.

GoDLiKe

emil.jpg

Emil from Tales of Symphonia Knights of Ratatoskr. This is probably the worst RPG I've ever played. Awful story, characters and everything.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
But Vaan is not an issue since you can make Basch the leader of your party. He is actually the lead of the piece. Vaan didn't really get much airtime in my play through. You shouldn't let Vaan dissuade you from playing one of, if not the, best FF games. As pointed out above, he doesn't really feature much through the course of the game.
basch isn't the lead, he was gonna be in an early version. It's Ashe

Top Bottom