• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Character in a JRPG

Almost every character in that game is a flipping numbskull for the entire game. I think Fang is the character I hated least in that game and that's because I only wanted to kill her for one cutscene set (the one surrounding her Eidolon fight).

You didn't hate her for the
I KEEL U ALL FOR MAH SALVATION! OH GOD! THEY'RE ALL DEAD! I DESERVE DEATH NOW!
nonsensical meltdown at the end of XIII?

Rhapsody

Banned
This is so wrong because the real answer is the rest of the cast.

I don't see how any of the other answers in this thread could be valid because none of them made me put down a game faster than the shitlords Luke had to travel with.

How could you not like Jade?

Mesoian

Is that what was happening? The ending of 13 is so fucking poorly explained, told and acted that I was literally bemused at what was going on.

Hattori

Banned
Normal_Lukestatart.jpg
Luke Fon Fabre is easily the worst JRPG character ever!

Wiz

Everyone from Star Ocean 3.

I still beat (and liked) the game, but got damn the characters were bad.

I didn't make it that far honestly. I got through the tutorial (ie just after the battle with the first Undying) and gave up. I was trying to play through it so I had context for XIII-2 when it came out but but XIII-2 came out before I finished due to various stuff and I stopped since I no longer had motivation and the game was terrible.

spirity

Oh god, there's soooo many jrpg characters I really dislike. But if I had to pick just one, it would be Vanille from FF13. The epitome of irritating, I wanted to punch my tv every time she opened her fucking gob.

Honorable mentions.. most of them.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
SO4's entire cast was terrible. Easily the worst group of characters ever created for a story-driven JRPG.

Zaventem

Now that I think about it, yea the entire cast was pretty bad.

You know for all the hate SO4 gets and deserves i actually thought not every single one of the cast was bad, i did like Arumat and Bacchus. They're very stereotypical characters but they played their roll well and the two voice actors that didn't make my skin crawl.

Kalnos

Banned
Christ, I can understand not liking Vaan, but the worst character in any JRPG?

99% of child characters get my vote: Porom (FFIV), Palom (FFIV), Cooke (LO), Mack (LO), Karol (ToV), etc.

Keasar

Vanille.

Fucking Vanille.

More dense than a black hole and more annoying then a talking orange. She takes the cake and the table the cake stood on for being so unbelievably stupid and fucked up that it makes you stop playing the game. I could have stood out with the game for at least 5 more hours before quitting out of boredom, but she instantly killed all interest in the game.

Mozendo

Everyone from Star Ocean 3.

I still beat (and liked) the game, but got damn the characters were bad.
God damn this.

Star Ocean 3's cast was fucking terrible.

Also

Kyrie from Sands of Destruction.
The game was pretty damn terrible, but the cast was somewhat likeable. Kyrie was not.

Is that what was happening? The ending of 13 is so fucking poorly explained, told and acted that I was literally bemused at what was going on.

Here's the ending as I understand it

The party goes in, not intending to destroy Cocoon or Orphan. Shit goes down, Barty boy somehow combines to become Orphan (because apparently he didn't exist at first... or something) and Fang goes loony. Fang turns against the party, party goes C'ieth for some unexplained reason, and Vanille gets tortured. Fang goes into an incomplete transformation of Ragnorok (because apparently there is such a thing) due to Vanille's torture. Fang fails, but the party catches her as she flies through the air since they turned back from being C'ieth (for whatever reason even though we were told that was impossible... later to be revealed to be Etro). Party sees some vision of the future where everybody was smiling, so they change plans, face the now complete Orphan, kill him even though that was the one thing they knew would doom Cocoon, and do so because "we believe in the power of miracles". Because they choose to do this, their brands become "scorched" for some unexplained reason (later revealed to be Etro), and they gleefully kill Orphan, killing countless millions in the process. Fang and Vanille combine into a super Ragnorok (because apparently that is possible), crystallize, and save Cocoon. The party somehow perfectly lands on the ground and crystallizes. They are brought out of crystallization for no apparent reason, lose their brands for no apparent reason, and have Serah and Dajh come back for no apparent reason (all later explained to be because of Etro). Credits roll. The fact that they fucked everything up and only succeeded due to unexplained circumstances is ignored; the fact that they basically killed millions of people for no good reason is ignored; and the explanation as to why any of this even happened is locked away in datalogs.

Yeah, the ending was a fucking mess. Basically, they got lucky and a bunch of symbolism happened. The "heroes" did everything the villain wanted, messed up everything, threw all logic out the window, and "believed" really hard which made things go right. So yeah, all of the characters are flipping idiots.

5688-427964503.png

"Richard, I know you just went complete psychopath on my town, and probably killed hundreds, but that doesn't mean we can't still be friends! There's just something weird going on with you!"

"No Sophie! Don't kill yourself to destroy the demon! Imma merge with him and become friends."

As much as I Iove playing as this guy, he's horrible story-wise.

How can you bash Luke when there's THIS GUY?!? At least Luke was different until
that point in the game when he became generic and boring.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
I would argue Xenogears as being the greatest fucking game of all time ever to my dying breath but seriously, fuck Chu-Chu.

The young kid from Persona 3... in fact, every kid from every game I've ever played.

Re: the OP, Vaan had no charisma but was also fairly inoffensive.

Zaventem

"Richard, I know you just went complete psychopath on my town, and probably killed hundreds, but that doesn't mean we can't still be friends! There's just something weird going on with you!"

"No Sophie! Don't kill yourself to destroy the demon! Imma merge with him and become friends."

As much as I Iove playing as this guy, he's horrible story-wise.

Haha haven't played this game but wow did i laugh hard at your spoilers.

Coxy

Clearly the entire purpose of FF13's existence is to cover up how shitty Squall was since no-one mentioned him

KmA

Why is everyone hating on Ken? Is it because he is an out of place kid in a story about adolescents? Is it because of the horrible voice acting? Or is it because his horrible skill set... ok I answered my own question.

Ultimadrago

Bringing the other two threads full circle.

For me, it's a tie. First, there's this guy:

vaaneesbr.png

final-fantasy-xiii5bsv9.jpg

Next, it's the whole entire cast of Final Fantasy XIII
Anyways... yeah. XIII is shit...

PS: Your sequel sucked, Serah!

OP ends the discussion by their own damn self!

Seriously, these are key choices for worst JRPG character(s).

"Oh hey you guys. Hold up for a sec while I ruin everything I touch."

(Ken, Persona 3)

I found every character in Tales of the Abyss insufferable.

These too.

I'll also add Disgaea 4's cast

c20110226_maoh_04_cs1cciv1.jpg

Listening to them and their "quirks"/"thing" scene after scene made for some of the most irritating dialogue I've found in video games. It would continue ad nauseum with at least three of the following lines inserted in a dreadful localized voice:

"Sardines!"
"I wanna be a final boss!"
"I'm going to be the President in this world that's totally a dream!"
"I'm going to make my father,no...myself, proud!"
"All is for my lord."

So very, very painful.

Mesoian

Here's the ending as I understand it

The party goes in, not intending to destroy Cocoon or Orphan. Shit goes down, Barty boy somehow combines to become Orphan (because apparently he didn't exist at first... or something) and Fang goes loony. Fang turns against the party, party goes C'ieth for some unexplained reason, and Vanille gets tortured. Fang goes into an incomplete transformation of Ragnorok (because apparently there is such a thing) due to Vanille's torture. Fang fails, but the party catches her as she flies through the air since they turned back from being C'ieth (for whatever reason even though we were told that was impossible... later to be revealed to be Etro). Party sees some vision of the future where everybody was smiling, so they change plans, face the now complete Orphan, kill him even though that was the one thing they knew would doom Cocoon, and do so because "we believe in the power of miracles". Because they choose to do this, their brands become "scorched" for some unexplained reason (later revealed to be Etro), and they gleefully kill Orphan, killing countless millions in the process. Fang and Vanille combine into a super Ragnorok (because apparently that is possible), crystallize, and save Cocoon. The party somehow perfectly lands on the ground and crystallizes. They are brought out of crystallization for no apparent reason, lose their brands for no apparent reason, and have Serah and Dajh come back for no apparent reason (all later explained to be because of Etro). Credits roll. The fact that they fucked everything up and only succeeded due to unexplained circumstances is ignored; the fact that they basically killed millions of people for no good reason is ignored; and the explanation as to why any of this even happened is locked away in datalogs.

Yeah, the ending was a fucking mess. Basically, they got lucky and a bunch of symbolism happened. The "heroes" did everything the villain wanted, messed up everything, threw all logic out the window, and "believed" really hard which made things go right. So yeah, all of the characters are flipping idiots.

Ugh, yup, that's basically what I pulled out of it.

Fuck FF13. My god. It's like a 12 year old wrote it. Fucking Tinkerbell ending.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Who is this tiny troll girl thing that wants nappy time in Star Ocean 4, and where do I get the option to beat her head in with a lead pipe?

I've never played the game, but seeing that cutscene a couple of times now wants me to destroy things.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Who is this tiny troll girl thing that wants nappy time in Star Ocean 4, and where do I get the option to beat her head in with a lead pipe?

I've never played the game, but seeing that cutscene a couple of times now wants me to destroy things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWJjqgXyIYg

The whole cast is pretty bad. The writing in that game makes Mighty Morphin Power Rangers look like Shakespeare in comparison. I'm sorry in advance.

Annubis

My vote goes to Lymle too.

There are so many things wrong with her character that it's hard to know where I should begin.

- Her character design is creepy/scary
- She always talks very slowly in a game where not every cutscene/PA can be skipped... meaning you had to stand there just waiting for the madness to stop.
- They forced so many health issue to make her a 'legal' loli that it reminds me of that awful drawing they make in Welcome to the NHK (keep in mind I'm not trying to say it's wrong to have characters with health/mental issue in a game - read the next one)
ruqx.jpg

- Your mission is to save humanity, brace dangers and fight mean aliens... and the logical choice is to break every law and bring with you a dwarf alien who is mentally challenged and suffers from many trauma and most probably PTS and of course no military training at all. That's just cruel on so many level.
- She doesn't contribute to the story (if any) all the way until they literally force a cutscene at the end where she saves everyone with her children drawings she drew everywhere in the ship. Turns out they were magical glyphs (wait wha?)

Pejo

I'm agreeing with the whole cast of FFXIII. Most of the time, I am kinda happy when they include a few shit characters in a JRPG. That's one less decision I have to make about who's in my main party. However, when the whole cast sucks, and when each cast member is relegated to a role that you NEED to use, it makes playing the game truly terrible.

Also; totally agree with Lymle, Karol, Ken, and other kid characters. Then again I hate most kid characters in all forms of entertainment media.

ITA84

I don't really get the Chu-Chu hate. She only really has a single scene (which wouldn't have been much more serious without her anyway), and after that you can leave her alone for the rest of the game if you don't like her.

Also, she was crucified for your sins!

My annoying character of choice would be Tidus (surprised he hasn't been mentioned yet).

Top Bottom