• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst/Wierdest Gaming Peripherals In History?

Hard to believe this didn't get brought up: SpaceOrb 360
mainheads.gif

spoorbs.gif

spaceorb_help.gif

Ho ha! Fools, no one will EVER use anything but mouse/keyboard for FPS games!

robot

Not the worst - but the most disappointing by a freaking mile:

stick2be.jpg

How many other people shelled out $60-$70 for this thing and threw it in the closet the next day?

qcf x2

soul creator said:
lol, I've always liked that pic.

as far as the topic goes, I may have to nominate the Sega Activator

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7783366196223400692

Whoa man, that and the turbo touch...I remember actually trying out the Activator in a store, nothing worked right and I wondered why. After seeing that video, and the comically bad design of the thing, I now know. Maybe I should've called 1800 USA SEGA, because I still have questions about how they could have OK'd such a thing.

But...

Nintendo made a bad/wierd peripheral into a terrible and supposedly hazardous semiportable console.

You know of what I speak!

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
18 year old one handed tilt sensing joystick.
IMN Control - The Game Handler. Lean it in each direction instead of a D-Pad. Guess it just needed the technology to catch up with the idea. Available for NES & Genesis.

Game_Handler,_The.jpg

Link to pic 2.

travisbickle said:
Did that actually work? or did you just have to frown to move.

need . to . know .

We will never know, everyone who ever used it spontaneously combusted seconds after placing the Mindlink System(tm) on their head. That's why it was never released.

The Mighty Schwein said:
Hard to believe this didn't get brought up: SpaceOrb 360
mainheads.gif

spoorbs.gif

spaceorb_help.gif

Ho ha! Fools, no one will EVER use anything but mouse/keyboard for FPS games!

I have one of these but never used it. Any experiences?

travisbickle said:
Did that actually work? or did you just have to frown to move.

need . to . know .

Here you go:
Using the muscles in ones head, a person was to control the paddle at the bottom of the screen. Needless to say, people began to suffer from headaches as soon as the pace of the game started to quicken.

One of the more hilarious moments of the Mindlink's introduction came when one of Atari's executives strapped on the controller onto his forehead in front of an amused audience. Why were they laughing, other than the fact that the Mindlink was a joke? The device fell from his forehead and broke!

Juice

Sorry to shit on this thread, but the correct answer is:
activator.jpg

The Activator Ring for Genesis. Holy shit was that thing worthless.

Does anyone remember that controllar called the Titan Sphere(??) I think that is what it was called. PC gaming world named it the worst controller ever. It was just a giant sphere, I had no idea how it worked.

Also, can people whi post those weird mind controllers and that screen from the first page please tell us how they are supposed to work.

Mark Gonzales said:
Gamecube 1.5..umm I mean Wii

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Man, now THAT was a funny reply. I mean seriously! Where do you get your wit?

Otto

Larry Bird said:
I've known about everything mentioned in this thread except for this.

Was it ever released? Did it work with one of SEGA's systems or as a stand alone product?

Does anyone have more pictures/info to share on this?

Otto said:
I've known about everything mentioned in this thread except for this.

Was it ever released? Did it work with one of SEGA's systems or as a stand alone product?

Does anyone have more pictures/info to share on this?
It's sole purpose was to seek out R.O.B. and destroy it.

Red Scarlet

robot said:
Not the worst - but the most disappointing by a freaking mile:

stick2be.jpg

How many other people shelled out $60-$70 for this thing and threw it in the closet the next day?

*raises hand*. But I did get it for Christmas and used the turbo to buy Potions in FF1 fast (until my dog ate the NES plug cord). I wonder if it's in a box somewhere.

Otto

Suburban Cowboy said:
It's sole purpose was to seek out R.O.B. and destroy it.
Oh shit, I squinted enough to read the small text. Had no idea it was a joke:lol .

Still be sweet if it were real.

Kangu

Banned
Holy shit @ this thread. It's like I know nothing of videogames. I recognize maybe two of these peripherals, and I've been gaming for a while.

Ranger X

Kangu said:
Holy shit @ this thread. It's like I know nothing of videogames. I recognize maybe two of these peripherals, and I've been gaming for a while.

Don't worry, i'm gaming since the beginning of the 80s and i haven't heard about almost half of what's there. I never was attracted to accessories though.

Javaman

Stinkles said:
Before DS, before Wii, there was this.

UForceAd.jpg

I bought one of those like ages ago on clearance at Toy's R Us. You set the switches into different configurations based on what game you are playing. It actually worked pretty well for Mike Tyson's punchout, where the top four sensors match up with the Upper L/R and Lower L/R punches. To dodge, you slam your hand down next to either of the front bottom sensors. (There was a plastic bar with 45deg shiny stickers that aim the sensors to the sides) Your powered up punch worked by moving your punch past the sensor on the very top. I only tried it with a couple of games before giving up.

The SNES super 6 was pretty wierd.

Juice said:
Sorry to shit on this thread, but the correct answer is:
activator.jpg

The Activator Ring for Genesis. Holy shit was that thing worthless.
I already took that dump (see a couple posts above yours) but a courtesy flush never hurt :D

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I'm glad someone mentioned the U-Force (the sad thing is I remember someone in elementary school who genuinely wanted the thing...).

Anyway, the Mark III had its fair share of strange peripherals, and even more so if you count the stuff that carried over from the SC-3000.

Who needs cable to connect your console to a TV when you can use a massive dish:
telecon01.jpg

FM Sound Units!:
fm_mk3.jpg

Vormund

soul creator said:
it's kinda sad that I knew exactly which game you were talking about...

1916.jpg

I have a pre-production copy of this (reviewer copy) It is really bad. So bad it was worth keeping.:lol

the year 20XX said:
Oh, that reminds me:
the Ore Commander!

orecommander4eg.jpg

orecommander012en.jpg

And, while on the topic of bizarre Periborg/Hori stuff... the Shock-C!
shockc4yj.jpg

I want to buy these just to reward the insane, weirdo creativity involved in their creation.

I got to play with these at E3 this year. God bless those whacky folk in Kentia Hall. The girl running the booth filmed me trying to use both at the same time:

http://grouper.com/GlobalMedia/MediaDetails.aspx?id=831545

Jasoco

Banned
M3wThr33 said:
I have one of these. I used it to play Super Mario RPG.
BEST. SNES. CONTROLLER. EVER! So comfortable. So much better than the flat POS that came with the/every then current system.

The only flaw was playing Star Fox with the L and R placement. But it was and still is my favorite classic controller. I still have mine after all these years. :D

It's the only controller I can use on my SNES. The only one I play with.

Gawd, I have a cupboard filled with old Dreamcast stuff that'd be perfect for this thread, except I just spent this entire morning cleaning it all up. They include:

- Virtual On Twin-Sticks
- Samba De Amigo Maraccas
- that stupid Dreamcast Light Gun with the memory port in the back
- that Dreamcast fishing rod
- some kind of giant surfboard for boarding games
- Light Boy

This is like a walk down memory lane in Kentia Hall!

Speevy

Banned
You know there will be dozens of weird "special edition" Wii controllers shaped like baseball bats, bananas, chainsaws, and swords.

This thread is awesome and has tons of stuff I've never even heard of.

I want to know more about the "NES SuperController." Are there any actual buttons on that thing?

Greenpanda said:
This thread is awesome and has tons of stuff I've never even heard of.

I want to know more about the "NES SuperController." Are there any actual buttons on that thing?

Nope. It's just a shell for the regular NES controller.

Once at the state fair I bought an adhesive joystick for the NES controller. Shameful.

edit: and on the subject of crappy NES joysticks,
bart4ps.jpg

Tarazet

the year 20XX said:
Here's the disturbing site of the insane guy who built the ridiculous controller for the terrible game. Creepy anime-girl masks/mannequins(?) inside.

Holy crap. Well, that is not a dragon, but it does give me an idea for a project for when I have some major disposable income.

sonarrat said:
Holy crap. Well, that is not a dragon, but it does give me an idea for a project for when I have some major disposable income.

I had the same idea, but I don't even know where that guy lives, much less where I could find a hooker in his neighborhood.

Top Bottom