• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would releasing on Nintendo platforms have made the Mirrors Edge IP a Hit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do people even read the OP?

You made a topic with very weak connections to come to the conclusion that MEC would sell 500K. Even in your OP, the dude you quoted said that Bayo might not have reached 400K on it's own, but somehow you take that as "600K with other numbers floating around the internet".

A dying console barely capable of letting its 3rd party games float would be suicide for MEC. Comparisons to other games that are drastically different in so many ways is asinine.

Synth

The other biggest factor was the snowball effect. People assumed it was going to bomb so they waited for a discount. Which made that prediction a self fulfilling prophesy.

I wasn't even waiting for a discount... I'm waiting for it to hit EA/Origin Access...

jdstorm

Banned
where?

maybe don't do line breaks for every sentence

EA/Dice's Mirrors Edge has recieved 2 games roughly a decade apart.

The first game Mirrors Edge Sold roughly 2.5 million copies

https://www.vg247.com/2013/06/24/ea...equel-wasnt-possible-on-current-gen-consoles/

While Mirrors Edge:Catalyst numbers are vague. It aparentlty met EA/Dice's Expectations. Which could mean anything. But likely doesnt mean it was a massive success worth braging about.

https://www.vg247.com/2016/07/12/mirrors-edge-catalyst-definitely-meeting-our-expectations-says-ea/

Both games released on Microsoft and Sony's platforms in addition to PC. Yet due to hardware constraints the series has managed to avoid Nintendo platforms thus far.

Yet in many ways Nintendo platforms would be the best place for this series.

Nintendo consoles have a gender diverse audience that buys platform games (Aparently ******** is a no no on GAF so if anyone has links for better places to look please post a link)

However on a roughly 13 million install base the Wii U has multiple million selling platformers/Shooters

Super Mario 3D World, Splatoon, New Super mario brothers U, Donkey Kong Country Returns Tropical Freeze.

And even 3rd party platformer Rayman Ledgends sold better on the Wii U then other platforms despite many wii u owners being upset at Ubisoft for delaying a previously exclusive title and refusing to buy it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s-origins-week-one-by-20-per-cent-in-uk-chart

It was more difficult to find sales information on 3rd party games in general. So any links would be helpful.

I remember reading somewhere that Call of Duty Black ops 2 managed to sell over a million copies. However take that as unreliable until sourced.

And the absolute floor for a Mirrors Edge game on Nintendo platforms would likely be bayonetta 2. Since bayonetta's overt sexuality alienated much of the family audience on Nintendo platforms, and Character action games are less popular on nintendo platforms then platformers.

These are the most accurate numbers i could find on Bayonetta. Although 600K is a common number floating around the internet.

Assuming the Floor for a Mirror's Edge game on a Nintendo Console is 500K thats a minimum 20% of the games total audience that was ignored due to hardware limitations.

Giving Mirrors Edge/Catalyst an extra 500K Sales (assuming they have similar numbers) would take the franchise to the 3M mark.

This would bring Mirrors Edge on par with the initial sales of Tomb Raider 2013 (3.4M in the first month) As a legitimate big budget franchise.

Lock if this comes across as port begging.

And how are you even getting this number?

Thats Roughly what Bayonetta 2 Sold on the Wii U, and thats a game that is much less appealing to the traditional nintendo consumer

jdstorm

Banned
Yes, but I'm not sure you have enough information to paint a convincing picture that EA made a mistake here. I'm not sure if you can really make strong conclusions.

EA didnt make a mistake. Neither the Wii or Wii U was viable from a hardware capability standpoint of running either of those games. Hell there are clearly design constraints in Catalyst because the PS4 cant run a fully open world Mirrors Edge game.

What im speculating on is that there is considerable overlap with the typical Nintendo consumer and Mirrors Edge Customer, and that those aditional sales could have altered the trajectory of the IP. if Nintendo had a platform capable of running the respective games when they launched.

ME:Catalyst would Bomb on the NX because it would just be another late port. Ie Arkham City, Mass Effect 3 ect on the Wii U

Synth

What im speculating on is that there is considerable overlap with the typical Nintendo consumer and Mirrors Edge Customer, and that those aditional sales could have altered the trajectory of the IP.

I feel like you're deliberately avoiding the conversation about how Mirror's Edge doesn't really resemble the typical mascot platformers you're citing, at all really. I'd give my 8 year old niece any random Mario/Sonic/Rayman to play... I sure as hell wouldn't give her either Mirror's Edge game, and not only for stylistic/presentation reasons. She outright wouldn't be capable of playing it sufficiently.

EhoaVash

Nah don't think so.

I like Nintendo platformers but couldn't get into mirrors edge. The first person view killed it for me. Very vomit inducing

You should know quite well this is bullshit.

Though, mirrors edge 2 failure is more due to how it was handled (bad marketing and being a good 7 years after the first game). Also getting lukewarm reviews doesn't really help.

It's really not far from truth though. Look at the top ten sales lists on Nintendo do platforms and you will find a lists of first party games.

jdstorm

Banned
I feel like you're deliberately avoiding the conversation about how Mirror's Edge doesn't really resemble the typical mascot platformers you're citing, at all really. I'd give my 8 year old niece any random Mario/Sonic/Rayman to play... I sure as hell wouldn't give her either Mirror's Edge game, and not only for stylistic/presentation reasons. She outright wouldn't be capable of playing it sufficiently.

Your typical 8 year old who owns a PS4/Xbox One plays games like Call of Duty, Battlefield One and Destiny. She would definitely be capable of playing it sufficiently if she were interested. It would initially be chalenging but not overly so. Most of Super Mario 3D world is more difficult from a platforming standpoint. The only hassle is the first person controls.

Stylistically it skews a little older, but neither is really worse then your typical Marvel film. Although both games have things that would cause parents concern. The first game with the ability to actively shoot people and visible blood. Meanwhile Catalysts story skews a little darker and into actively participating in overt terrorism.

Although with tbe first games time trial segments without enemys you probably have something that you could show an 8 year old even if you were extremely conservative

jdstorm

Banned
Is this a port begging thread?

Because it reads like so.

Not really. Becauase there is no Nintendo platform that makes sense to port a Mirrors Edge game too.

NX? It could presumably run Both, but at that point its a port thats LTTP and no one would buy it

WiiU. Cant Run Catalyst acceptibly and ME1 would be a waste

3DS. Probably couldnt run either.

Its more a what if speculation thread since Mirror's Edge 3 is extremely unlikely to ever get made

The couple hundred extra Japan sales wouldn't make up for the nonexistent Western reception the Wii U has gotten.

WW LTD literally would've been in the tens of thousands.

Synth

Your typical 8 year old who owns a PS4/Xbox One plays games like Call of Duty, Battlefield One and Destiny. She would definitely be capable of playing it sufficiently if she were interested. It would initially be chalenging but not overly so. Most of Super Mario 3D world is more difficult from a platforming standpoint. The only hassle is the first person controls.

Stylistically it skews a little older, but neither is really worse then your typical Marvel film. Although both games have things that would cause parents concern. The first game with the ability to actively shoot people and visible blood. Meanwhile Catalysts story skews a little darker and into actively participating in overt terrorism.

Although with tbe first games time trial segments without enemys you probably have something that you could show an 8 year old even if you were extremely conservative

To start with, Mirror's Edge is more difficult than something like Call of Duty too. Sure, she may be able to overcome the initial difficulties "if she were interested" (which she probably wouldn't be), but that's not the point. The other games would be a pick-up-and-play affair, with characters and presentation that she'd gravitate to. Especially the Lego games. The "average" kid that play CoD and may be more inclined to play something like Mirror's Edge, is also less likely to be a kid with a Wii U.

Difficulty of platforming challenge, versus difficulty in controls is a completely separate thing. Every Mario game I've ever touched, even if it became difficult over time, would allow most people to enjoy the game immediately with some success early on. Difficulty even controlling you character, and even passing the original Mirror's Edge tutorial segment with its "now run at the wall and press left-right-left-jump to kick off" shit is a different matter entirely, and will discourage a great many people from continuing. Control simplicity is pretty much core to Nintendo values, and as a result embodies pretty much all the most popular games on their platforms. Mirror's Edge isn't some "fun for the whole family" thing like Mario/Sonic/Rayman are.

I also don't think "typical Marvel" would sell as well on Nintendo platforms, outside of stuff like the Lego approximations, as the gameplay that would be assigned to them wouldn't overlap much with the Nintendo audience either.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I love how basically every single thread that asks a hypothetical question about Nintendo can simply be answered with "no".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom