• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would releasing on Nintendo platforms have made the Mirrors Edge IP a Hit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdstorm

Banned
EA/Dice's Mirrors Edge has recieved 2 games roughly a decade apart.

The first game Mirrors Edge Sold roughly 2.5 million copies

https://www.vg247.com/2013/06/24/ea...equel-wasnt-possible-on-current-gen-consoles/

While Mirrors Edge:Catalyst numbers are vague. It aparentlty met EA/Dice's Expectations. Which could mean anything. But likely doesnt mean it was a massive success worth braging about.

https://www.vg247.com/2016/07/12/mirrors-edge-catalyst-definitely-meeting-our-expectations-says-ea/

Both games released on Microsoft and Sony's platforms in addition to PC. Yet due to hardware constraints the series has managed to avoid Nintendo platforms thus far.

Yet in many ways Nintendo platforms would be the best place for this series.

Nintendo consoles have a gender diverse audience that buys platform games (Aparently ******** is a no no on GAF so if anyone has links for better places to look please post a link)

However on a roughly 13 million install base the Wii U has multiple million selling platformers/Shooters

Super Mario 3D World, Splatoon, New Super mario brothers U, Donkey Kong Country Returns Tropical Freeze.

And even 3rd party platformer Rayman Ledgends sold better on the Wii U then other platforms despite many wii u owners being upset at Ubisoft for delaying a previously exclusive title and refusing to buy it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s-origins-week-one-by-20-per-cent-in-uk-chart

It was more difficult to find sales information on 3rd party games in general. So any links would be helpful.

I remember reading somewhere that Call of Duty Black ops 2 managed to sell over a million copies. However take that as unreliable until sourced.

And the absolute floor for a Mirrors Edge game on Nintendo platforms would likely be bayonetta 2. Since bayonetta's overt sexuality alienated much of the family audience on Nintendo platforms, and Character action games are less popular on nintendo platforms then platformers.

No official numbers have been revealed. A little trusted birdie told us that, as of mid-April 2015, the game's sold 157k units in the States. IIRC the last time the game charted on Japan it had sold 50k, but that's like three weeks after launch. This is missing present-day numbers, major territories like Europe and digital sales also, but...going from this, I wouldn't be surprised if the game hasn't reached 400k worldwide :(

These are the most accurate numbers i could find on Bayonetta. Although 600K is a common number floating around the internet.

Assuming the Floor for a Mirror's Edge game on a Nintendo Console is 500K thats a minimum 20% of the games total audience that was ignored due to hardware limitations.

Giving Mirrors Edge/Catalyst an extra 500K Sales (assuming they have similar numbers) would take the franchise to the 3M mark.

This would bring Mirrors Edge on par with the initial sales of Tomb Raider 2013 (3.4M in the first month) As a legitimate big budget franchise.

Lock if this comes across as port begging.

Fdkn

You first need to know how many of those 2.5m were sold on bargain bins and 5$ digital sales, because from my understanding they were a lot.

Also Catalyst wishes it was near that number

I don't think 500k for Catalyst would have been guaranteed in 2016 on Wii U. Bayonetta 2 came out in 2014 and was backed pretty heavily by Nintendo.

Synth

No, because:

A) It's not that kind of platformer.
B) Bayonetta 2 isn't the floor, because that would have sold way less on WiiU were it not exclusive to the console.

A-V-B

No way. It's a niche concept at its core. The beauty of the original was the execution of various concepts within that niche.

DMONKUMA

edit:Oh ok if it was ported

I imagine it wouldn't still, I don't think a game like that suddenly being on Nintendo system would make it a big hit especially since it was on PC the same time as the console version and still didn't do really well.

120v

nintendo exclusive is the last thing a major publisher wants right now. barring massive upfront moneyhats

I want both games on NX. I was disappointed we didn't get either for Wii U. I think it would have used motion controls really well.

jdstorm

Banned
nintendo exclusive is the last thing a major publisher wants right now. barring massive upfront moneyhats

I never mentioned anything about exclusivity.
All i suggested was that a reasonable port would have had an Audience which i then speculated on.

Another non first party platformer Sonic Lost World sold 710K across WiiU and 3DS, and that hasnt recieved a price drop.

So clearly the audience is there for platformers on nintendo systems

Lego City Undercover another good comparison is now at 1.07 Million copies sold on WiiU

I never mentioned anything about exclusivity.
All i suggested was that a reasonable port would have had an Audience which i then speculated on.

Another non first party platformer Sonic Lost World sold 710K across WiiU and 3DS, and that hasnt recieved a price drop.

So clearly the audience is there for platformers

You really need to take into account when games like Sonic Lost World and Bayonetta 2 released.

Wii U was still a pretty viable platform when those games launched, even with its small audience.

They were also exclusive games (Lost World isn't anymore, of course).

And in the case of Bayo 2, its universal acclaim helped it a lot.

udivision

I'm willing to bet that eventually publishers realized that supporting the Wii U wasn't worth the effort, and not because they were meanie beanies.

collige

Banned
No. FPS platformers have the richest history on PC and there was no viable Nintedo platform to release the first game on in 2008 anyway. Mirror's Edge with a wii remote would've controlled shit

jdstorm

Banned
You really need to take into account when games like Sonic Lost World and Bayonetta 2 released.

Wii U was still a pretty viable platform when those games launched, even with its small audience.

They were also exclusive games (Lost World isn't anymore, of course).

And in the case of Bayo 2, its universal acclaim helped it a lot.

Sure. And the WiiU is currently dead. But lets say a Mirror's Edge game released on the NX.

Im speculating on the amount of nintendo customers who would buy a mirrors edge title on an actively supported nintendo platform. 500K seems like a conservative baseline.

Sure. And the WiiU is currently dead. But lets say a Mirror's Edge game released on the NX.

Im speculating on the amount of nintendo customers who would buy a mirrors edge on an actively supported nintendo platform. 500K seems like a conservative baseline.

If it were a brand new Mirror's Edge game and it received favorable reviews? Yeah, it might do well on NX.

But that IP has gotta' be dead at this point.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Lol no, if anything, it would've sold even less while hurting the other versions of the game due to hardware constraints and budget being wasted on a port very few people would buy.

Dabanton

Hell of stretch for a port begging thread.

The game is niche and I don't think Nintendo only gamers would have been anymore interested in it.

jdstorm

Banned
No. FPS platformers have the richest history on PC and there was no viable Nintedo platform to release the first game on in 2008 anyway. Mirror's Edge with a wii remote would've controlled shit

No. Nintendo gamers only buy nintendo games.

I'm willing to bet that eventually publishers realized that supporting the Wii U wasn't worth the effort, and not because they were meanie beanies.

This is like a GAF thread from 2007

Frostbite doesn't run on Wii U

Not even a little. They'd have to completely change up the art, and be released near Wii
Launch

Lol no, if anything, it would've sold even less while hurting the other versions of the game due to hardware constraints and budget being wasted on a port very few people would buy.

Do people even read the OP?

Maxinas

No. Nintendo gamers only buy nintendo games.

You should know quite well this is bullshit.

Though, mirrors edge 2 failure is more due to how it was handled (bad marketing and being a good 7 years after the first game). Also getting lukewarm reviews doesn't really help.

Synth

So clearly the audience is there for platformers on nintendo systems

Lego City Undercover another good comparison is now at 1.07 Million copies sold on WiiU

The comparisons you're drawing to stuff like Sonic/Rayman/Mario/Lego/etc is pretty silly imo. Nintendo platforms have a proven audience for unintimidating family-oriented mascot platformers that you could give to young kids, or someone that hasn't played a game since the launch of the N64, and they would just "get it".

Mirror's Edge with its more realistic presentation, and very (very) complex controls systems does not have much, if any, crossover with the standard Mario audience. This is like arguing that because Mario Kart 8 sold 8 million, that Project Cars skipping the platform is a grave mistake.

Im speculating on the amount of nintendo customers who would buy a mirrors edge title on an actively supported nintendo platform. 500K seems like a conservative baseline.

And how are you even getting this number?

Goodness no, it's stylistically out of place for a console like that, and now with the Wii U's install base it would have been an even bigger failure. If it's in addition to the other platforms releases, I highly doubt it would sell a fair share. I'm thinking maybe 100k-ish.

E-phonk

Banned
No, mostly because I don't think Mirrors edge is the kind of game that appeals towards the nintendo crowd. The kind of platforming it presents isn't the same at all.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure how we could know until it happened. Timing, promotion, and game quality would be everything.

On a personal level, I'm mostly a Nintendo gamer, and I have to say that the only two games that made me wish I had a 360 last gen were Sonic Generations and Mirror's Edge. Before the impressions of Catalyst came in, that game was my #1 reason to get a PS4 eventually (and even now, I'm still planning on buying it).

I just like Faith and the "you don't have to use guns because you're so agile" combat and platforming. Is that related to me also being a Nintendo fan? Maybe.

jdstorm

Banned
You should know quite well this is bullshit.

Though, mirrors edge 2 failure is more due to how it was handled (bad marketing and being a good 7 years after the first game). Also getting lukewarm reviews doesn't really help.

This is definitely true. I went to my local Gamestop/EBGames on Launch day and they didnt even have a copy. No posters nothing. I now buy games elsewhere.

The other biggest factor was the snowball effect. People assumed it was going to bomb so they waited for a discount. Which made that prediction a self fulfilling prophesy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom