• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be able to accept it if Link was reincarnated as a Gerudo woman?

Basically, in one game, the Link you're playing as would be a Gerudo teenaged girl growing up in Gerudo Valley.

For me, this would be pretty great. For one, it gives players a new perspective of the world of Hyrule, and offers the ability for Link to have a different kind of upbringing. Not only that, but it would be a great way to introduce new gameplay and weapons, as Link's physical capabilities and weapon style would be vastly different.

Rootbeer

Banned
I liked those race-changing elements to Majora's Mask which is one reason i'm looking forward to playing it again. But I think it really stretched the concept. I don't want to see Link as another character for an entire game. So no.

I liked those race-changing elements to Majora's Mask which is one reason i'm looking forward to playing it again. But I think it really stretched the concept. I don't want to see Link as another character for an entire game. So no.

It's not really "another character." It's just taking the fact that Link can vary in his physical appearance and expanding how different it can be. It's certainly not as though they've established that Link can only be a boy or Hylian/Hyrulean, that's just how they did it.

They have changed Link though :v he became a blonde in ALttP (pink dyed hair in-game).

They've changed Link, very, very little. Like the same amount that Sonic changes inbetween Classic and Modern Sonic, any drastic change like this is on a whole different level that would cause Link to cease being Link.

Plus, in reality ALttP Link is litterally just LoZ Link and AoL smushed together.

Ferrio

Banned
Why would making link female make the playstyle different? Hell if you're going to do anything to shake it up make him the antagonist and not just change the gender.

Gazoinks

I'd be more into some side story about the Gerudo that didn't have Link as the PC, but I'd be alright with this too. Has Link been a Hylian in every game? I'm not up on my Zelda lore.

Mariolee

Would you play a game where Mario was reincarnated as a Goomba?

And the whole game is just you stomping on Marios?

ExVicis

If someone wants to make what's basically a spin-off game they should and if it looks fun I'll totally buy it but don't mess with Zelda please.

Golnei

tumblr_n8ezp7dPLj1s6tus8o1_1280.jpg

It's probably the only way we'll ever get to play as a non-Ganondorf Gerudo or even see them appear again, and having that as the focus for a protagonist would be great. But it wouldn't really be a 'reincarnation', just an unrelated person named Link who becomes worthy of the Triforce, as in Wind Waker.

Wiktor

Wait...Link isn't a girl?

;)

Seriously though, I don't like changing genders. Just make a Zelda game with new female lead. Link barely is a character, more like an avatar, but it would still be better idea to make a new lead

I'd be more into some side story about the Gerudo that didn't have Link as the PC, but I'd be alright with this too. Has Link been a Hylian in every game? I'm not up on my Zelda lore.

He's always Hylian, it's part of his character much in the same way that Peach is always a Princess.

Why would making link female make the playstyle different? Hell if you're going to do anything to shake it up make him the antagonist and not just change the gender.

Because she would be raised in a desert by a race of warrior women, and not by a tree, or as a farmer, or by a Grandma on a remote island? :p

It's probably the only way we'll ever get to play as a non-Ganondorf Gerudo or even see them appear again, and having that as the focus for a protagonist would be great. But it wouldn't really be a 'reincarnation', just an unrelated person named Link who becomes worthy of the Triforce, as in Wind Waker.
I am soooo confused :/

Richie

If I'm gonna play as a Gerudo I want that to be Ganondorf.
If I'm gonna play as a woman I want that to be Zelda, Sheik, Impa...

You propose something with potential, OP, but the public at large would have a very hard time accepting this new dark-skinned woman as the "Link" they've known for decades.

potam

Banned
It's not really "another character." It's just taking the fact that Link can vary in his physical appearance and expanding how different it can be. It's certainly not as though they've established that Link can only be a boy or Hylian/Hyrulean, that's just how they did it.

I feel like to change his race to Gerudo would be dumb, unless they involve more of the sneakiness/thievery into his/her character. That would be fine unless they changed the entire Zelda formula to work around that.

No. Introduce a new character if you want, don't change Link.

No thanks, as the first post said, create a new character.

It is a new character. It's a new character named Link, that is the reincarnated spirit of the hero. Just like in WW, Zelda 1, ALBW, etc

We have new Links every few games. Only difference is this one's a woman. It fits the lore.

I'd rather play as Zelda.

Playing as Zelda would actually mess everything up, she's not the hero, she's the reincarnation of the goddess. She isn't the one saving the day. Now, the reincarnation of the goddess could be a male, and the spirit of the hero could be a girl, but the hero's the one that has to save the day in the end.

I feel like to change his race to Gerudo would be dumb, unless they involve more of the sneakiness/thievery into his/her character. That would be fine unless they changed the entire Zelda formula to work around that.

I would imagine that it would use more stealth gameplay than typical (while also hopefully designing the mechanics to make those segments fun for once), and have her swordplay be quicker.

Dryk

You could do so many interesting things with the Ganondorf/Link dynamic if you did that. Worth it for that alone.

Link is a male. If Nintendo wants to give us a female give us a new char or Zelda.
Link is about 10 different characters who up until now all happened to be male. There's a difference.

TheOGB

Banned
Love it. Make it happen.
With or without "Ganondorf is your father" plot twist.

Are any Gerudo women playable in Hyrule Warriors? Looked it up, guess not

It is a new character. It's a new character named Link, that is the reincarnated spirit of the hero. Just like in WW, Zelda 1, ALBW, etc

We have new Links every few games. Only difference is this one's a woman. It fits the lore.

You're splitting hairs, all Links are still Link, a drastic change would keep the character from being Link regardless of what the lore says.

Link isn't even holding the bow in this picture, just holding his arm straight and making a fist.

Link is an icon, he may look different at times but at the end of the day we can always recognize Link. Unless this female Gerudo Link looks almost the same as our usual Link haha.

Mdesilva

I think making Link female would be really cool- she would still be the Hero of Time and everything, but it would kinda be played through a different perspective. I don't know about making her Gerudo at the same time, but it would be interesting for another game.

At that point you may as well just make a spinoff. It's like asking if one would be able to accept it if in the next Mario game you played as a tall Puerto Rican woman.

Golnei

He's already a thief, and there's been stealth segments of varying quality in OoT, MM, WW, SS, ST and ALBW. The 'formula' wouldn't have to change all that much at all.

I'd be down to play that but isn't it required that Link always Hylian by lore?

Does it? If that's true, then we can still do a similar story to TWW, where this Link becomes worthy of the title of Hero.

At that point you may as well just make a spinoff. It's like asking if one would be able to accept it if in the next Mario game you played as a tall Puerto Rican woman.

Elaborate - are you saying that Mario, a character who is defined as a single individual, is the same as Link, a character who is many different people? I think you should think about that equivalence a bit more. :v The only reason why the idea of Link being a different race and gender is because the rules of the universe make it acceptable.

Giever

Sure. I'd rather play as traditional Link, though, because I just enjoy playing as him a lot, and I love his iconic design (which changes slightly from game to game, but not nearly as much as you're suggesting for this iteration). So I would prefer it if this was just a new character, but I could deal with it fine. Especially considering that since it would be Nintendo's decision, I'm sure they'd handle it well.

FluxWaveZ

Team-based action RPG where a player customized Link (so male or female) needs to go recruiting members of different factions (Zora, Goron, Deku, etc.) and rally them together in order to defeat a greater evil.

Green-light it.

Karkador

Banned
If they make a new Zelda game with a new main character, it will be deferred to the 'spinoff' pile of shame.

Keep the Link name, keep the 'lore' (as loose as it is), but do something interesting with it. I'd be interested in seeing a female Link.

Top Bottom