• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be interested in a new Jet Moto?

xiskza

The last one that came out was Jet Moto 3 in 1999.

Elsp4DBXYAAnyBz.jpg

ElsAwFCX0AEMQ8_.jpg

ElwFlOVWoAATA04.jpg

ElwuuiUXYAEsbCv.jpg

Also team Mountain Dew for life!

CamHostage

...Like you wouldn't believe, bro.

I'm actually a little surprised that no severe-challenge racers have taken off in the F2P/whales + Streamers + Soulsbourne challenge era. You could build community in stunts and incredible skill part or dumb failures in a way that just regular games don't have the depth to share or make fun of.

Btw, an indie dude was trying to make a spiritual successor (there are a few half- done projects out there, ) but sadly he didn't finish. This one is more STUN Runner or Kinetica or Star Wars Racer than Jet Moto in play, but he was still working on it before getting pulled away.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Kinda, considering it was one of my favorite PS racers back in the days.. Used to play it local mp with my buddy all the time. But it's 2024 now, they'd had to make a pretty big effort to make it interesting for this time. But it sure would be interesting to see the result.

Edit: The music in the game shouldn't fit this kind of racer, but it kinda did anyway.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats

I'm actually a little surprised that no severe-challenge racers have taken off in the F2P/whales + Streamers + Soulsbourne challenge era. You could build community in stunts and incredible skill part or dumb failures in a way that just regular games don't have the depth to share or make fun of.

Btw, an indie dude was trying to make a spiritual successor (there are a few half- done projects out there, ) but sadly he didn't finish. This one is more STUN Runner or Kinetica or Star Wars Racer than Jet Moto in play, but he was still working on it before getting pulled away.

That’s too fast. Jetmoto wasn’t a balls to wall speed racer.

Svejk

Jet Moto 1 style, hell yeah brother.... Jet Moto 2 style, nope. That game was such a serious down grade from the first.

xiskza

Jet Moto 1 style, hell yeah brother.... Jet Moto 2 style, nope. That game was such a serious down grade from the first.

I really liked JM2, and it sold well and has its hardcore fans, but I also prefer JM1. I prefer the tracks on it, the 20 racers to choose from. Graphics were obviously better in JM2 but that was to be expected.

CamHostage

That’s too fast. Jetmoto wasn’t a balls to wall speed racer.
This reminds me more of Wipeout than it does of Jet Moto. Jet Moto was about trying to perfect your lines and angles while dealing with the floaty physics, IMO.

Yep, the developer is aware; if he gets back around to this project, he'll try to make it play and work more like Jet Moto should be. (It's currently more in the style of like Extreme-G or STUN Runner or Star Wars Racer, with open tracks and full speed without serious obstacles or challenges.)

It doesn't really matter though, since the project (by a one-man/small-team studio) was put on hold in favor of a Future Cop homage instead. (That project will also take a long time to appear, if it ever gets done, but I wish him luck because Future Cop could use a tribute too)

Jet bike racing has unfortunately not stood as the sport of champions since Jet Moto left us, which is tragic. A few projects have come and gone, but nothing actually got finished and released that I know of. The best I know of was going to be Hoverbike Joust, which had some intentionally squirrelly physics and a combat bumping system. The demo is good fun, but it'll most likely never be finished.

Hoverbike Joust (on Itch.io but abandoned for technical difficulties doing online play)

Last edited:

RavageX

Yall all are speaking the truth. The first 2 games were perfect. Loved the bios for the characters.

I went back to try and play the games recently and the graphics were so rough I was amazed that I could manage back in the day, lol. Its funny how spoiled (and how far we have come) with graphics.

Its easy to make the games pretty looking, but it is also easy to miss what made the games special in the first place. In my opinion that was the problem with the attempted Road Rash successors. Road Rash 3d was great....but all modern attempts were lacking "heart".

They were a perfect blend, tracks were impressive....loved them.

CamHostage

BTW, if you're interested in JM history (and can stand to have your engine stalled...), there were two unreleased Jet Moto projects which have since been leaked over time.

The first was a PS1 sequel by PC&L (makers of JM3) called Jet Moto 2124 that was in futuristic versions of cities; it was partway through being done actually (and has a prototype build out there to loot, not complete and no NPCs but driveable.) It died because it was came on too late in the PS1 lifecycle to be brought to market.

Jet Moto Solar meanwhile was a full-blown PS2 sequel by RedZone Interactive (primarily the 989 NFL GameDay producers, but they tried to branch out a few times) ; it was set on other planets using anti-grav bikes, hundreds of years after the original games. The design doc for this leaked years and years ago, and is a good read if you're into the making (or non-making) of video games, and some footage finally has been unearthed this year. (Beware though, this is super early... or, it's a good indication of why the canceled it, since RedZone had captured little of the Jet Moto feel or thrill in its prototype. I don't know what engine they were using or what physics foundation this was trying to build upon, but they had miles to go before getting anywhere close. I'm personally glad we got Kinetica instead. Still, interesting to see they tried.)

Last edited:

CamHostage

...In terms of stuff you can actually play, Jet Moto 1 is on PSN for PS4/5 in all of its PSX rust & glory. Neither JM2 (not the original or GH version) or JM3 aore on PSN.

There is an old PC version (back when PlayStation ported its games over to PC... er, remember that?) which unfortunately isn't on GOG, it's abandonware and you'd have to ask around but the framerate and asset quality is pretty good on a modern machine. (I can't remember if there were issues with this port or if this turned out okay, sometimes PS1 releases were okay and sometimes they were seemingly a few builds behind.)

Duckstation or ePSXe or Beetle or whatever can also of course handle all 3 4 of your personally-ripped Jet Moto games (the JM2 Greatest Hits was a remastered Jet Moto 2: Championship Edition that changed it a bit with tweaks to unlock all tracks plus only four on-track competitors in order to hit a smooth 30FPS framerate.) 1/2 don't have any replacement textures/models nor any great enhancements in terms of overclocking for framerate/draw-in, but they do have widescreen hacks; JM3 never had any framerate issues and runs faster than lightning no matter what you play it on, plus it has a widescreen hack as well.

Last edited:

Pejo

This reminds me more of Wipeout than it does of Jet Moto. Jet Moto was about trying to perfect your lines and angles while dealing with the floaty physics, IMO.

To answer OP, I would ABSOLUTELY be down for more. More Wipeout, Burnout, Midnight Club, and Motorstorm too, while I'm at it. Maybe even a new Road Rash or 4xtreme too.

Svejk

I really liked JM2, and it sold well and has its hardcore fans, but I also prefer JM1. I prefer the tracks on it, the 20 racers to choose from. Graphics were obviously better in JM2 but that was to be expected.
My big gripe of JM2 was them governing the controls. In JM1, you could move the bike in anyway you can point. JM2 has the bike snap back in place. No more 90° vertical launching off walls. Man, that was the best in JM1.

Pejo

Yep, the developer is aware; if he gets back around to this project, he'll try to make it play and work more like Jet Moto should be. (It's currently more in the style of like Extreme-G or STUN Runner or Star Wars Racer, with open tracks and full speed without serious obstacles or challenges.)

It doesn't really matter though, since the project (by a one-man/small-team studio) was put on hold in favor of a Future Cop homage instead. (That project will also take a long time to appear, if it ever gets done, but I wish him luck because Future Cop could use a tribute too)

Jet bike racing has unfortunately not stood as the sport of champions since Jet Moto left us, which is tragic. A few projects have come and gone, but nothing actually got finished and released that I know of. The best I know of was going to be Hoverbike Joust, which had some intentionally squirrelly physics and a combat bumping system. The demo is good fun, but it'll most likely never be finished.

Hoverbike Joust (on Itch.io but abandoned for technical difficulties doing online play)

I'd imagine it's very tough for indie devs, especially small teams, to make/perfect the physics system, which was incredibly advanced for its time (even if a bit floaty). Same reason I think that we never saw a really good spiritual successor to Waverace64.

xiskza

My big gripe of JM2 was them governing the controls. In JM1, you could move the bike in anyway you can point. JM2 has the bike snap back in place. No more 90° vertical launching off walls. Man, that was the best in JM1.
I also hated the Championship edition version of the game.

Top Bottom